Tuesday's Maryland 2A/1A boys' lacrosse final

Glenelg just misses its storybook ending

Glenelg rallied from a 5-2 deficit to take a one-goal lead with about nine minutes to play, but Queen Anne scored with 28 seconds left.
Glenelg rallied from a 5-2 deficit to take a one-goal lead with about nine minutes to play, but Queen Anne scored with 28 seconds left. (Jonathan Newton/the Washington Post)
  Enlarge Photo     Buy Photo

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
By Mark Giannotto
Thursday, May 27, 2010

CATONSVILLE, MD. -- Reprinted from yesterday's late editions

There were 28 seconds showing on the UMBC Stadium scoreboard in Tuesday's 2A/1A boys' lacrosse state final, but reality had already begun to sink in for Glenelg. Kneeled over and dejected after Queen Anne's senior Cody Figiel picked up a ground ball and single-handedly knifed through their defense for a goal, the Gladiators knew one sequence had rendered a great comeback moot.

"When the other team scores with 28 seconds left, you know everything has to go right for you to tie it up again," said senior Zach Wynne after Queen Anne's escaped with a 7-6 victory. Glenelg had clawed back from a 5-2 deficit to take a one-goal lead with about nine minutes remaining. "We just couldn't finish."

The game-winning goal masked what was, to that point, a strong defensive effort by the Gladiators (17-3). Glenelg became the first opponent all year to hold Queen Anne's under eight goals and kept Figiel, the Lions' leading goal scorer, quiet until those waning seconds.

But Glenelg found itself in a hole early due in large part to the exploits of a lesser-known Queen Anne's attacker. Freshman Jake Clise finished with four goals, including an acrobatic, off-hand shot while falling down to give the Lions a 5-2 lead.

That's when the Gladiators mounted their charge. Led by Wynne (three goals, one assist), who netted a goal from his knees to draw his team within one and then tied the score at 5 with an eight-yard dart of a shot, Glenelg scored the game's next four goals. But Queen Anne's (19-1) came right back when sophomore Patrick Clark drew post on a shot and then Clise beat Glenelg goalie Alex Parker top shelf to tie the score again with eight minutes left in the fourth quarter.

Parker redeemed himself with 1 minute 50 seconds remaining when a Glenelg turnover resulted in a breakaway for Figiel. Parker was able to get just enough of Figiel's shot to deflect it wide, but it was not a sign of what would ensue moments later.

"We put the monster in a corner and we couldn't put him in the cage," Glenelg Coach Josh Hatmaker said.

Secondary scoring: Midfielder Scott Wheeler was an integral part of the Glenelg attack, finishing with two goals -- including the score that gave the Gladiators their lone lead of the game early in the fourth quarter. Familiar scenery: This was Glenelg's third appearance in the 2A/1A state final in the past four years. The Gladiators won consecutive titles in 2007 and 2008.

More in the Maryland Section

Blog: Maryland Moment

Blog: Md. Politics

Washington Post staff writers provide breaking news coverage of your county and state government.



Use Neighborhoods to learn about Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia communities.

Md. Congressional Primary

Election Results

Obama and McCain swept the region on February 12.

Facebook Twitter RSS
© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity