Kathryn Troutman's federal résumé writing tips
Wednesday, May 26, 2010;
- The federal résumé is not the same as a private industry resume.
- Private industry résumés are usually no longer than 2 pages; the federal résumé is an average of 4 pages.
- Federal resumes MUST match a target announcement to stand out and eventually get referred to a supervisor.
- Federal resumes must include month and year; 10 years of details about supervisors and salary; education and certifications listed in details.
- Federal résumé should focus on the most recent and relevant position. Reduce or take out other positions that are not relevant.
- Add accomplishments to the federal résumé; separate the accomplishments from duties. Include the duties first, then the short list of accomplishments.
- Read the QUALIFICATIONS section of an announcement carefully. Be sure to include the qualifications in the résumé.
- Add the keywords from the DUTIES AND QUALIFICATIONS SECTIONS INTO THE FEDERAL RÉSUMÉ.
- Highlight the federal résumé with certain skills in ALL CAPS to improve readability in the builders.
© 2010 The Washington Post Company