Page 2 of 2   <      

Parolee, pal held in Md. state trooper's killing

Criminal records

State Trooper Wesley Brown, 24, was ambushed and killed by a gunman early Friday after an altercation with an unruly patron at a Forestville Applebee's, where he was working as a part-time security guard. Surveillance tape is being reviewed.

Both Williams and Milton, also of Seat Pleasant, have criminal pasts. Court records show that Williams was on parole at the time of the shooting, and police said he was held over the weekend on a violation of his parole. A spokeswoman for the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services said Williams was paroled on July 23, 2008, related to drug charges in Prince George's.

Until December, Williams had been supervised under Maryland's Violence Prevention Initiative, a program Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) established to create a zero-tolerance policy for criminals considered most likely to commit further violent crimes. Under that program, warrants are often issued if those on probation or parole miss just one scheduled meeting with a case manager.

Late last year, however, Williams was ratcheted down to a level called intensive supervision. Instead of three face-to-face meetings a week, and mandatory phone interviews, Williams was required only to check in twice a month.

In the first 10 months after his release, he made dozens of required meetings, stayed employed and passed drug tests, and his supervision was lessened by one notch. He continued to impress his agent and other reviewers in the parole and probation department, including maintaining the same job for a heating and air conditioning company, and left VPI late last year.

In March, Williams missed one of his two monthly meetings with his agent, but under his new, lower level of supervision, that was no longer a violation for which the state would typically seek a warrant. When he was found and questioned over the weekend, Williams was initially booked for missing the March meeting and for some traffic violations.

Court records show numerous drug arrests and convictions from 2003 to 2006, and police have seized tens of thousands of dollars in drugs and money from his home.

In 2006, Williams also was charged with attempted murder for apparently firing a gun at a police officer on New Year's Day. A witness who knew Williams identified him as the attacker from a photo array, but on the day the case was to go to trial, the state dropped the charges when its witness did not appear in court, according to prosecutors and Douglas J. Wood, Williams's attorney in the case.

"A lot of times in these Jan. 1 shootings, guys are outside firing into the air, carousing," Wood said, adding that there was no evidence that the officer could identify Williams.

Milton's most serious conviction was in August 2004, when a circuit court judge in Prince George's sentenced him to four days in jail and supervised probation after he pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment and a handgun violation.

According to a police charging document, Milton was with his girlfriend in the bedroom of their Seat Pleasant apartment when he accidentally shot her in the leg with a handgun. The girlfriend said the March 24, 2004, incident was an accident, according to the charging document.

Staff writers Aaron C. Davis, Maria Glod and Rick Rojas and staff researcher Meg Smith contributed to this report.

<       2

© 2010 The Washington Post Company