Cheney still in hospital but 'doing well,' daughter says
Monday, August 2, 2010
Former vice president Richard B. Cheney remains hospitalized after undergoing heart surgery in early July, Cheney's daughter said Sunday.
"He is still in the hospital, but he's doing well," Elizabeth Cheney, a former State Department official, said during an appearance on "Fox News Sunday." She added: "He's out of the intensive care unit and hopefully will be home later this week."
The former vice president, who has a long history of cardiac issues, including five heart attacks, announced July 14 that he had recently undergone heart surgery for a pump implant. The announcement came just weeks after the 69-year-old was admitted to the hospital after he experienced discomfort. Cheney was released several days after that earlier admission after receiving medication to treat a fluid buildup, but he was back in the hospital soon afterward.
"A few weeks ago, it became clear that I was entering a new phase of the disease when I began to experience increasing congestive heart failure," Cheney said in the July 14 statement. "After a series of recent tests and discussions with my doctors, I decided to take advantage of one of the new technologies available."
Little new information had been released about Cheney's surgery and status since that announcement until his daughter's comment Sunday. Fox News host Chris Wallace mentioned the heart pump and asked her, "Will he be able to go back and have a good, active life and fly-fish and hunt?" Elizabeth Cheney answered: "Absolutely. He's looking at fly-fishing and hunting dates for later on this year, so we're very hopeful."