TED STEVENS, 1923-2010

Former senator Ted Stevens dies in plane crash

Former senator Ted Stevens, one of the most powerful congressmen of his generation, was killed Aug. 9 in an airplane crash in a remote part of southwest Alaska.
By Dan Eggen and Ashley Halsey III
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The ruby-red 1957 DeHavilland floatplane came down in the rain and mist of the southwestern Alaska wilderness late Monday, unnoticed by radar and unreachable by official rescue teams until morning.

It would take nearly a day before authorities publicly confirmed the identity of one of the victims: former senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), a political legend who spent most of his life nurturing the state he helped to found a half century ago. Four others were also killed in the remote mountainside crash, while four survived.

The force of the collision tore a 300-foot gash in the side of the mountain about 17 miles from the town of Dillingham, crushing the nose of the plane but leaving the passengers -- both alive and dead -- inside the fuselage, according to a National Transportation Safety Board official. With temperatures dropping into the 40s, a doctor and two emergency technicians were airlifted into the area overnight until a full-scale rescue could begin after daylight Tuesday.

One victim, William "Bill" Phillips, was a well-known Washington lobbyist and former Stevens aide; his 13-year-old son, William "Willy" Phillips Jr., survived. Others killed included the local pilot and an Anchorage communications executive and her teenage daughter, according to Alaska state troopers.

Those who lived included Stevens's longtime friend and fishing companion, Sean O'Keefe, a former NASA chief and Navy secretary who heads EADS North America, the U.S. affiliate of the European aerospace and defense consortium. Also surviving were O'Keefe's son, Kevin, and Jim Morhard, an Alexandria lobbyist who had worked for Stevens on Capitol Hill.

Sean O'Keefe was listed in critical condition and Kevin O'Keefe in serious condition at an Anchorage hospital, the Associated Press reported late Tuesday. There was no word on Morhard's or Phillips Jr.'s conditions.

Stevens, 86, was a wiry, fiery sparkplug of a politician who funneled billions in federal aid to Alaska. He was proud and unapologetic about his efforts to steer lucrative projects to one of the nation's most sparsely populated states, and successfully fought a corruption conviction that cut short his political career two years ago.

Sad ironies surround Stevens's death. He survived a private Learjet crash in Anchorage in 1978 that killed his first wife, Ann, and four others, a tragedy that friends say haunted him. He was a former World War II pilot with a fondness for aviation projects, yet he told acquaintances of a premonition that he would die in one of the small, tinny airplanes that traverse Alaska's wilderness. He also survived a bout with prostate cancer.

The Stevens family, including his second wife, Catherine, and his six children, spent late Monday and much of Tuesday awaiting official word of his fate as rescuers struggled to reach the crash site and assess casualties. After his death was publicly confirmed, the family said in a statement that Stevens "loved Alaska with all his heart" and was "a guiding light" for the state since its formation in 1959.

"Now that light is gone but the warmth and radiance of his life and his work will shine forever in the last frontier," his family said. "His legacy is the 49th star on the American flag."

The crash prompted condolences from well-wishers across the political spectrum. President Obama said Stevens "devoted his career to serving the people of Alaska and fighting for our men and women in uniform."

Sen. Mark Begich (D-Alaska), who defeated Stevens in a fierce 2008 election fight, called him "a true pioneer" who "helped transform our state in the challenging years after Statehood." Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), whose father was Stevens' contemporary and a longtime political ally, said that "Alaska lost a hero, and I lost a dear friend."

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2010 The Washington Post Company