Man charged before shooting, but Pr. George's deputies never tried to arrest him

By Ruben Castaneda
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, August 13, 2010; B04

A Seat Pleasant man accused of shooting his girlfriend in the head Monday was charged two weeks earlier with threatening her with a handgun, but Prince George's County sheriff's deputies never tried to arrest him on that warrant, according to court records and officials.

On July 25, Marcus D. Shipman, 23, allegedly yelled at the girlfriend, LaCole Hines, 17, to come outside her apartment. Shipman pointed a handgun at another person in the apartment stairwell, according to police charging documents.

The arrest warrant, issued a day later, accuses Shipman of first-degree assault, a felony, and other counts.

But the warrant was never entered into the sheriff department's computer system, said Sgt. Lakeisha Hines, a spokeswoman for the sheriff. Warrants involving the use of guns and violence are supposed to be prioritized, but the warrant for Shipman was inadvertently placed in a misdemeanor file, she said.

The civilian employee who misplaced the warrant faces disciplinary action, Sgt. Hines said. It was not entered in the sheriff's office computer system until Monday, after Shipman was charged with shooting LaCole Hines.

In Prince George's, deputies have the primary responsibility for serving arrest warrants. In a statement, Sheriff Michael Jackson, a candidate in the Democratic primary for county executive, said the mistake was "an isolated incident."

"My heart goes out to the 17-year-old girl who was injured during a shooting for which Shipman is accused," the statement said. Jackson said he considered the episode "a very serious lapse in my agency."

Shipman is charged with shooting LaCole Hines in the head Monday afternoon in a liquor store in the 2600 block of Brightseat Road, in the Landover area.

Hines remained on life support Thursday afternoon, police said. According to charging documents, she has a month-old infant, and Shipman is the father.

Hines was shot by a masked gunman who ran to a car and sped away, charging documents say. Officers on patrol quickly chased the car, and the Chrysler crashed a few blocks away, the charging documents say.

Officers apprehended Shipman and Carl Andre Jones, 16. Jones admitted to driving Shipman to the liquor store and said Shipman put on a mask and left the car with a handgun, according to the documents. Jones said he heard one shot before Shipman ran back to the car, the charging documents said.

Shipman is charged with first-degree attempted murder, and Jones is charged as an adult with the same count. Both have been ordered held without bond.

The mistake in filing the warrant is the second time in recent weeks the sheriff's department has found itself in controversy.

Two weeks ago, Wendy Tyler, the acting captain in charge of the sheriff's domestic violence unit, and Nancy Ridgely, a captain who helped supervise the department's public information office, were indicted on charges of stealing more than $20,000 from the union that represents deputies.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company