Files: Driver accused of striking 2 in Adams Morgan had high blood-alcohol level

Police have charged a 23-year-old Mitchellville woman with aggravated assault and driving while under the influence in connection with a Wednesday night crash that injured two female pedestrians before crashing into an Adams Morgan restaurant. Neighbors talk about the past and future dangers or the intersection.
By Keith L. Alexander
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, September 10, 2010

The 23-year-old Mitchellville woman who police say drove the car that struck two women in the Adams Morgan area Wednesday night had a blood-alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit for DWI, court records revealed.

Chamica M. Adams was arrested at the scene and charged with aggravated assault and driving while intoxicated.

According to charging documents, Adams was driving a 2007 Dodge Charger south on 18th Street NW about 8:30 p.m. when, while negotiating a turn onto Florida Avenue, she mounted the center island and struck two women who were waiting to cross the street. After striking the pedestrians, Adams's vehicle hit a small tree, then the front of the Keren Restaurant at 1780 Florida Ave. NW. The restaurant was not occupied at the time.

One of the women was listed in critical condition with a broken pelvis, a skull fracture and serious head trauma at a hospital, according to court records. The other was listed in serious condition, police said.

At Thursday's hearing, a D.C. Superior Court judge released Adams from jail, ordered her into a high-intensity supervision program and prohibited her from using alcohol. Adams is also not allowed to drive while under the court supervision program. Magistrate Judge Diana Harris Epps also added two hours to Adams's curfew, which will last from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. each day, not 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., as is traditional.

Adams had no previous DWI arrests in the area. A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Sept. 28.

After the hearing, Adams broke down in tears and hugged three family members who attended the hearing. The family declined to comment.

The case remains under investigation, authorities said.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company