By Ashley Halsey III
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 22, 2010; 12:14 AM
D.C. police snared scores of drivers violating the city's ban on handheld cellphone use Tuesday morning, all at the behest of U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.
The crackdown caught drivers near Ninth Street and New York Avenue NW as LaHood convened his second major conference on distracted driving.
"I had talked with the chief of police," Cathy L. Lanier, LaHood said. "A lot of people got tickets because the police were out there watching."
LaHood said last week that as he travels about Washington he notices that "just about every driver" seems to be using a handheld cellphone despite the ban.
The District has made an effort to enforce the handheld ban, issuing 7,519 warnings and 12,936 tickets in 2008.