Late TD lifts Forestville past Coolidge

By Andy Marso
Friday, September 24, 2010; 11:55 PM

Down 19-14 to Coolidge with 30 seconds to play Friday, Forestville Coach Charles Harley consulted with his staff on what play to call facing 4th-and-1 at the goal line.

"My assistant coach [Jon Singleton], who's also my frat brother said, 'Coach, whatever you call, just have faith,' " Harley said.

So Harley believed, even as running back Rahman Lee took the handoff and disappeared in a churning pile of bodies. He believed, even as a Coolidge player came out of the pile holding up the ball. And his belief was vindicated when the officials signaled touchdown, ruling that Lee had crossed the goal line before the ball came free.

Forestville (2-2) went 99 yards on its final drive to win 22-19, thwarting Coolidge Coach Natalie Randolph's bid to become the first female head coach in Washington D.C. history to win a varsity football game.

Coolidge senior Keith Dickens took the opening kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown Friday, which was like a gulp of cool water to a team in a season-long scoring drought. When junior Stacy Lipkins scored on a one-yard run in the second quarter the Colts led 13-6 and had already reached their highest single-game scoring output of the season.

"We definitely made progress tonight in terms of execution," Randolph said. "Some things we hadn't run well, we ran great."

The Colts went up 19-6 on a third-quarter touchdown run by Chris Strong, who led them with 74 rushing yards. But they couldn't hold off Lee and Forestville quarterback Kwasi Washington.

Washington, who ran for 86 yards, scored at the end of the third quarter to bring his team within five. When the Knights got the ball back with seven minutes left and their backs against their own goal line, Lee knew what to do.

"The plan was to get me the ball, run behind this powerful O-line and let the clock run," Lee said.

Lee carried eight times on the final drive, often behind 316-pound senior guard Bryan Egolum. He finished with a season-high 153 rushing yards.

Notes: Lipkins left the field in an ambulance at halftime after suffering an apparent concussion. Randolph said he was coherent on the sideline and was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company