Hints From Heloise
Travel Necessities Are in the Bag
Dear Readers: As a road warrior of far too many years, I've come up with a few hints along the way. One of my favorites is my "BED BAG." It's a clear, zippered cosmetics case that goes beside the bed when I travel. Here's my checklist of must-haves:
- A small jingle bell on a red ribbon to hang on the hotel door as my travel security alarm. Even with the door locked and latched, you can't be too safe.
- Two mini flashlights.
- Two -- yes, two -- travel alarm clocks. Can't miss an early-a.m. TV show.
- Earplugs (several sets).
- Sewing kit from the hotel. Always put it in your luggage.
- From my mother: Men's socks to use as an eye mask. Most eye masks have elastic banding that can be too tight or can leave marks on your face. She used just one sock, with the heel portion on the nose and the other parts covering the eyes. I stitched a pair of socks together; they drape over my eyes and block out the light.
- Lavender essential oil, to use in the evening to relieve stress and help you relax for a good night's sleep.
Dear Heloise: I lost my plastic name badge for an organization I belong to and was resigned to ordering another one. Today I found it in my clothes dryer, attached firmly to the side of the tumbler by its magnet. It had gone through every drying cycle for two months and was still in perfect condition. So, next time I lose it, I will know where to look first! -- Elizabeth, via e-mail