Curry Recovering From Brain Aneurysm

By Paul Schwartzman
Wednesday, June 18, 2003; 5:00 AM

Former Prince George's county executive Wayne K. Curry was recovering yesterday after undergoing a medical procedure for a brain aneurysm, according to a spokesman for his family.

Curry, 52, went to Prince George's Hospital Center on Sunday night complaining of a "debilitating headache" that began at home in Upper Marlboro, said Greg Wells, the spokesman.

After doctors suspected a "ruptured aneurysm," Wells said, Curry was flown by helicopter to Washington Hospital Center, where he underwent an "endovascular procedure" in which a tube was inserted into his brain.

Curry was recuperating at the hospital yesterday, Wells said, and Sheila Curry, his wife, was at his side. Wells described Curry as being upbeat and talkative but said that he needs rest.

"He's lucky," Wells said.

Paula Faria, a hospital spokeswoman, would not comment.

An aneurysm is a bubble that forms on a blood vessel in the brain. If the bubble ruptures, there is a 50 percent to 60 percent chance that the person will die, according to Rafael Tamargo, an associate professor of neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University.

Wells would not detail the procedure performed on Curry, except to say that it was "minimally invasive." Tamargo said that the procedure can take two to eight hours and that patients are typically given anesthesia.

Curry, a Democrat, left office in December after serving as Prince George's county executive for eight years.

He is a native of the county and the first African American to be the county's executive.

Since leaving office, he has served as an adviser to Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R). A development lawyer before going into politics, Curry has also explored a number of business ventures and has worked on prospective land deals with Gary Murray, a Prince George's-based entrepreneur.

Curry's successor, Jack B. Johnson (D), was in South Carolina on a family emergency yesterday but is keeping tabs on Curry's condition, a spokesman said.

"The county executive extends wishes of a speedy recovery and is asking the community to keep Wayne in their prayers," said Walter Dozier, the spokesman.

Prince George's County Council Chairman Peter A. Shapiro (D-Brentwood) said he last spoke to Curry a week and a half ago after the former official honked at him from his red Mercedes-Benz on Route 50 and told him to call on his cellular phone.

"He sounded great," Shapiro said.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company