Please note: The Style Invitational has moved to a new page here.
Week 888: Make up a word based on someone's name
How the Empress's mind works:
1. Come across a photo feature from Life magazine's Web site on "people who became nouns" -- Mr. Silhouette, Mr. Boycott, Edsel Ford, etc.
2. Think: Steal idea and use as a contest?
3. Then think: We did eponyms already, didn't we?
4. Find out that we did eponyms twice already, most recently in 2006.
5. Note that most of those inking entries were for people no longer in the news, and were unlikely to be repeated.
6. This week: Coin a word or expression based on the name of a well-known person, define it, and perhaps use it in a sentence.
Winner gets the Inker, the official Style Invitational trophy. Second place wins a Loser T-shirt that the Loser cannot wear. Because it has been made into a huge puffy pillow by Loser Scion Alexandra Bennett, a University of Missouri student and daughter of 95-time Loser Drew. It's shown here by Loser Scion Ethan Black, 4, a pre-pre-pre-college student and the son of 22-time Loser Dion.
Other runners-up win their choice of a coveted Style Invitational Loser T-shirt or yearned-for Loser Mug. Honorable Mentions get one of the lusted-after Style Invitational Loser Magnets. First Offenders get a smelly, tree-shaped air "freshener" (Fir Stink for their First Ink). One prize per entrant per week. Send your entries by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 202-334-4312. Deadline is Monday, Oct. 11. Put "Week 888" in the subject line of your e-mail, or it risks being ignored as spam. Include your name, postal address and phone number with your entry. Contests are judged on the basis of humor and originality. All entries become the property of The Washington Post. Entries may be edited for taste or content. Results to be published Oct. 30. No purchase required for entry. Employees of The Washington Post, and their immediate relatives, are not eligible for prizes. Pseudonymous entries will be disqualified. The revised title for next week's results is by Tom Witte. The honorable-mentions subhead is by Russell Beland.
Report from Week 884
in which we asked you to combine two products:
The winner of the Inker
Poop 'n' Scoop Canadian Winter Gloves: With built-in tongs, plus a special pocket where you can place your dog's business and keep your hands warm for the rest of the walk. (Scott Weinstein, Montreal)
2. winner of the gospel-singing stuffed lamb:The Crowbarcalounger: A comfy recliner with a useful hidden accessory for when it's time for Fred to take out the trash. (George Smith, Frederick)