Woman charged with manslaughter in Dupont Circle hit-and-run

By Paul Duggan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, October 8, 2010; 12:47 PM

A Montgomery County woman was charged with involuntary manslaughter Friday morning after surrendering to D.C. police in the hit-and-run death of a woman who was struck while stepping out of a parked car in Dupont Circle.

Jorida Davidson, 30, had been arrested by Montgomery police and charged with driving while intoxicated about 2:30 a.m. Thursday, an hour after the accident, said Cpl. Dan Friz, a Montgomery police spokesman. The arrest took place at the high-rise apartment building where Davidson lives in the county's Chevy Chase section, five miles north of Dupont Circle.

Davidson, who was released from custody in Montgomery early Thursday, surrendered to D.C. police about 5 a.m. Friday, authorities said. She was held pending an appearance later in the day in D.C. Superior Court.

The victim, Kiela M. Ryan, 24, of Howard County, was stepping out of the driver's seat of a legally parked car on Connecticut Avenue NW near N Street when she was struck by a northbound Lexus sport-utility vehicle, police said.

As the dark-colored SUV continued north on Connecticut, police said, a bicyclist got close enough to note the vehicle's Maryland tag number. The bicyclist then reported the plate number to D.C. police.

The accident occurred in the 1300 block of Connecticut Avenue. Police said Ryan's car was parked at the curb along the outer, northbound lane that runs parallel to the underpass where the central lanes dip below Dupont Circle.

Ryan, of the 6900 block of Knighthood Lane in Columbia, suffered "massive internal injuries" and was pronounced dead at a hospital about 5 a.m., D.C. police spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump said.

D.C. police relayed the vehicle information to Montgomery police, Friz said, and county officers went to Davidson's residence, the North Park Avenue Apartments at 4615 North Park Ave. Friz said the officers found Davidson in the parked Lexus SUV with the engine off and the key out of the ignition.

Based on what the officers observed of her physical condition, Friz said, Davidson was charged with DWI and taken to the Bethesda district station, where she declined to submit to a breath test. After being booked, she was released in the care of an acquaintance, Friz said. Her court appearance in Maryland has yet to be scheduled.

A man who answered the telephone at Davidson's apartment Thursday afternoon said, "We have nothing to say," and hung up.

D.C. police impounded the Lexus and hauled it to a crime lab.

Staff researcher Magda Jean-Louis contributed to this report.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company