Through hours of wrenching testimony, Ft. Hood psychiatrist Nidal Malik Hasan shows no emotion

Just weeks after Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan allegedly went on a shooting rampage that left 13 people dead and 37 others wounded, some battalions must start looking ahead to an impending deployment to Afghanistan.
By Ann Gerhart
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, October 16, 2010; 6:10 AM

FORT HOOD, TEX. - Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan sits in a wheelchair every day and listens while, one by one, the wounded and traumatized offer their accounts of 10 minutes of terror. Some bow their heads and weep. Some glower.

Hasan, who is paralyzed from the chest down, stares straight at the witnesses as they describe how he stalked the room on Nov. 5, 2009, the laser sight of his pistol tracing red across their eyes before they felt the shot, smelled the blood, heard the cries.

He didn't show remorse on that day, the witnesses say. He doesn't show any remorse now. What he is thinking is unknowable.

Sometimes, over three days of testimony at a hearing to determine whether there is enough evidence to proceed with a court-martial, Hasan carefully twists the cap off a bottle of water and takes a sip. He writes notes occasionally in neat script, or doodles.

Rarely in court does he speak to his three attorneys. He never turns to glance at the widow who sits taking notes in the small seating area each day, nor to see the young Army wives who wipe their eyes as their husbands recite their awful stories, recounting how he allegedly killed 13 people and wounded 32 others that day - ". . . and then I just fell. . . . I knew my lung was filling up with blood . . . He slumped over and I couldn't get to him in time."

When Hasan is cold, he pulls his green fleece cap lower over his ears and fiddles with a green blanket draped around his neck. His desert combat boots are laced up over his useless feet. Once on Friday, when his legal team got up and started to walk off, he looked momentarily alarmed to be left alone at the defense table.

"Do you want to go out?" said the security officer who wheels Hasan, and Hasan said to his lawyer, "What do you want me to do?"

Hasan was shot three times. Several of those who have testified were shot several times. They all remain active soldiers according to the impartial guidelines of the U.S. Army. That is where their similarity ends.

While Hasan, 40, has remained implacable - low affect, his psychiatric colleagues might note - his accusers have been expressive.

Spec. Megan Martin kept her hands tensely folded in front of her, as she testified via video link from Kandahar on Friday. Asked to recount the nature of the fusillade of bullets that day, she untangled her fingers, then made a tight fist and pounded the table in steady rhythm. She said she dropped to the floor as soon as she realized the pop-pop-pop was not a drill, yet remained mesmerized as Hasan sprayed the room with bullets, quickly slipped out his magazine and reloaded.

"Sir, I couldn't look away. I laid absolutely still as I could because he was shooting everything that moved," Martin said slowly. "I couldn't stop watching. It was a nightmare that reoccurs every day."

Capt. Melissa Kale started out cheerily helpful but broke down in tears as she described how she tried but couldn't save the life of her friend Sgt. Amy Krueger, whose fleece jacket she had stuffed in her backpack when the morning chill wore off that first day they spent at Fort Hood, prior to their deployment.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2010 The Washington Post Company