Quince Orchard football team beats Seneca Valley, 24-13

Quince Orchard senior Mark Green scored two touchdowns to lift Quince Orchard over Seneca Valley.
By Josh Barr
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, October 22, 2010; 10:51 PM

There was a time when Alex Twine was thought to be a player without a position. The Quince Orchard senior was not fast enough to play cornerback, not big enough to play linebacker.

That's no longer the case.

The 6-foot-1, 205-pound Twine eventually settled in at outside linebacker, where he started three games last season. This fall, he has raised his play significantly and was all over the field Friday night.

Twine blocked a punt for one touchdown, forced a fumble that set up another score, made four tackles for losses and broke up a pass as fifth-ranked Quince Orchard put itself in excellent position for a playoff berth with a 24-13 victory over 15th-ranked Seneca Valley in a Montgomery 3A game before 3,000 in Germantown.

"He's a guy who didn't realize his potential his junior year," Cougars Coach Dave Mencarini said. "But that light has turned on and is shining bright. I still think [Seneca Valley defensive tackle] Bernard [Wolley] is the best defensive player in the county, but Twine is pretty close."

Wolley was impressive again Friday, even throwing a touchdown pass from his fullback position as Seneca Valley tried to rally from a 17-0 halftime deficit.

But it was Twine who almost singlehandedly provided Quince Orchard (7-1, 5-1) with its big lead, then helped the Cougars hold on in the meeting of playoff hopefuls.

Four minutes into the game, Twine lined up to rush a punt and realized as soon as he got off the line of scrimmage that he was unblocked.

Twine got to the punter so fast that it almost looked like he did not know what to do as the punter kicked the ball into his thigh. The ball bounced into the end zone and Corday Thomas recovered for a touchdown.

"The guy who was supposed to block me stepped inside and didn't block me at all," Twine said. "My first reaction was this was going to be a blocked punt and a touchdown."

After Harry Long's 21-yard field goal made it 10-0, Twine stripped the ball from a running back and Darius Lewis recovered deep in Seneca Valley territory. That led to the first of two touchdown runs by running back Mark Green, giving Quince Orchard a 17-0 lead midway through the second quarter.

With teammate James McCallister sidelined by a first-quarter leg injury, Green finished with 119 yards and two touchdowns on 35 carries.

Seneca Valley made it close with two touchdowns in the first six minutes of the third quarter. But the Screaming Eagles (6-2, 4-2) were unable to get closer as Quince Orchard stopped a pair of drives into its territory. Seneca Valley finished with 157 yards of total offense.

"The whole week we were running their plays in practice and every time we lined up, I knew what was coming," Twine said. "We were prepared. I knew my assignments and got the job done."

© 2010 The Washington Post Company