Favre starts, doesn't finish in Vikings' loss to Patriots

The hits keep coming for Brett Favre - including this one from Myron Pryor - but the Vikings' quarterback expects to start again next week when Minnesota hosts Arizona.
The hits keep coming for Brett Favre - including this one from Myron Pryor - but the Vikings' quarterback expects to start again next week when Minnesota hosts Arizona. (Adam Hunger)
  Enlarge Photo    
By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, October 31, 2010


FOXBOROUGH, MASS.- Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre kept his NFL-record consecutive games streak intact here Sunday. But he and the Vikings continued to be knocked around in a 28-18 loss to the New England Patriots that Favre exited after absorbing a fourth-quarter hit that left him bleeding from the chin.

"I got hit very hard," Favre said. "It was sore and bleeding. . . . I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I remember everything, unfortunately. But I'll be fine."

Favre said he received eight stitches to close the gash on his chin that resulted from a hit by Patriots defensive lineman Myron Pryor. No penalty was called on Pryor. Before his exit, Favre completed 22 of 32 passes for 259 yards in his 292nd straight start, playing with fractures of his left ankle and heel. He threw one interception and didn't have a touchdown pass.

"I was shocked that I was able to play and move around the way that I was," Favre said. "My prayers were answered. I wanted a chance to play. . . . It was touch and go even before the game today. . . . It's been so long [since] I haven't played, I expect to play."

Vikings Coach Brad Childress said that Favre was "woozy" after the hit by Pryor. But Favre, who left the field on a cart after being examined on the Vikings' sideline, said he didn't think he suffered a concussion. Both Favre and Childress said they expect Favre to remain in the Vikings' lineup without missing any games.

"You could probably venture a guess," Childress said.

Tarvaris Jackson took over at quarterback and immediately threw a touchdown pass and a two-point conversion pass to get the Vikings to 21-18 with about 71/2 minutes remaining in the game. But the Patriots put away the game in the final two minutes with tailback BenJarvus Green-Ellis's second touchdown run of the day.

Favre extended his NFL durability record even after having a stress fracture and an avulsion fracture in his left ankle and heel diagnosed last week. He last missed a game in the 1992 season and, including the postseason, has started 316 games in a row.

The Vikings' lone touchdown with Favre in the game came on a second-quarter run by tailback Adrian Peterson. Wide receiver Randy Moss wasn't a factor in his return to New England after the Vikings obtained him in a trade with the Patriots earlier this season. Moss was limited to one catch for eight yards. The Vikings dropped to 2-5.

"It's been an emotional rollercoaster this week. . . . I'm definitely down that we lost this game because I didn't expect us to lose this game," Moss said during an approximately seven-minute postgame monologue in which he indicated he would not answer any questions from reporters for the remainder of the season.

The Patriots won their third straight game since trading Moss to the Vikings and improved to 6-1. They also got a rushing touchdown by running back Danny Woodhead, and quarterback Tom Brady put them in front for good with a 65-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Brandon Tate in the third quarter.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2010 The Washington Post Company