S. Korea to toughen policy toward North

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
By Keith B. Richburg
Washington Post Foreign Service
Monday, November 29, 2010

SEOUL - Six days after a North Korean artillery bombardment killed four people and heightened fears of an all-out conflict, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak took responsibility for failing to protect the country and said the South would now abandon its long-standing policy of not responding militarily to the North's hostile acts.

"In the past, North Korea has provoked us on many occasions, but this is the first time they have made a direct attack on South Korean soil," said Lee, making his first public remarks since the crisis began last week with the attack on civilian-inhabited Yeonpyeong island. "Launching a military attack on civilians is a crime against humanity, even during wartime."

Speaking at the Blue House, the presidential palace in Seoul, Lee outlined a series of past provocations from the North stretching back two decades, including the attempted assassination of the South Korean president in Rangoon, Burma, in 1983, the bombing of a South Korean airliner in 1987, and the sinking of a South Korean warship, the Cheonan, in March.

"Despite all of these provocations," Lee said, "we tolerated them in the belief that one day North Korea will change, and because of our hope for peace on the Korean Peninsula." He said South Korea has continued to engage in talks with Pyongyang and has given humanitarian assistance to the economically troubled country, but North Korea continued its pursuit of nuclear weapons and continued its attacks.

Now, Lee said, "South Koreans realize that tolerance and generosity bring more provocation." He said that South Korea would strengthen its military capability and would "make North Korea pay the due price by all means for its provocation from now on."

While Lee did not specify what form any future retaliation would take, his statement seemed to reflect a shift from the South's past policy of tolerance.

"I think it's a turning point for South Korean government policy dealing with North Korea," Baek Seung-joo, a researcher at the Korea Institute for Defense Analysis, said after the speech. "With the nation's support, Lee will make sure any further provocation is met with military action."

After the attack, the United States and South Korea announced plans for a four-day joint military exercise, which began Sunday.

The attack on the island exposed weaknesses in the South Korean defense system, which the government has in recent days promised to mend. The military announced plans to upgrade its weaponry and to give front-line troops more flexible rules of engagement to more effectively respond to a future attack. When the island came under bombardment, South Korean troops took 13 minutes to return artillery fire - and by that time, scores of houses and buildings were already destroyed.

The attack has also become a political crisis for the government, forcing the resignation of the defense minister, who took the blame for the delayed response. Lee has also come under criticism for not taking a tougher line against the North.

The crisis began Nov. 23, when North Korea fired nearly 200 artillery rounds onto the small island of Yeonpyeong, which lies close to the two countries' disputed maritime border. The artillery barrage, which demolished scores of houses and other structures, was considered more provocative than past North Korean actions - such as the sinking of a South Korean warship in March - because the island is inhabited by civilians.

Over the weekend, North Korea seemed to offer an apology of sorts for the deaths of the two civilians, saying, "If that is true, it is very regrettable." But the North blamed Seoul's military, for putting civilians in the way of its artillery as "human shields."

The military exercises were intended "to send a very powerful signal of deterrence," Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in a television interview on CNN. The drills are taking place about 75 miles south of Yeonpyeong island. But North Korea has responded that it will turn the entire area into "a merciless shower of fire" if its territorial waters are violated.

The exercises Monday were to include a live-fire drill by multiple aircraft from the nuclear-powered USS George Washington, which carries 6,000 sailors and 75 fighter jets. South Korean news media quoted a Korean military official as saying the aircraft would be firing on mock targets in the water, while South Korean Aegis destroyers will practice detecting and destroying targets.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency said the E-8C joint surveillance target attack radar system, known as STARS, had been deployed to detect any North Korean air activity during the drill.

The crisis has placed intense pressure on China to try to rein in its erratic and unpredictable North Korean ally. After refusing to criticize Pyongyang for the attack, China scrambled its diplomats over the weekend, including sending Dai Bingguo - China's equivalent of the national security adviser - to Seoul for talks.

On Sunday, China called for an emergency meeting of delegates to the long-disbanded six-party talks, which include the United States, North and South Korea, China, Japan and Russia. But South Korean officials said they told the Chinese privately that they were not interested in talks at the moment, and some expressed surprise that China made the announcement publicly.

"There was a mention by the Chinese side about the six-party talks, but it was not discussed seriously," Hong Sang-pyo, South Korea's presidential spokesman, was quoted telling reporters. He said Lee told Dai in the meeting that "it is not an appropriate time" for negotiations.

The United States also has dismissed the idea of talks now. Mullen, speaking Sunday on CNN, said, "I am one who believes we shouldn't be rewarding bad behavior here."

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), speaking on a separate CNN show, singled out China for not doing more. "The key to this, obviously, is China," he said. "And unfortunately, China is not behaving as a responsible world power."

China "could bring the North Korean economy to its knees if they wanted to," McCain said. "And I cannot believe that the Chinese should, in a mature fashion, not find it in their interest to restrain North Korea. So far, they are not."

McCain also said that North Korea is "a very unstable regime" and called for regime change, but stressed that he meant by peaceful means.

Special correspondent Yoongjung Seo in Seoul contributed to this report.


© 2010 The Washington Post Company

Network News

X My Profile