Shuttle driver is charged in hit-and-run crash near Dulles

By Josh White
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 14, 2010; B08

The driver of a speeding SuperShuttle van left a trail of damaged vehicles as he fled at least six hit-and-run crashes along Interstate 66 and the Dulles Access Road on Monday morning, police said.

Virginia State Police, Arlington County police and Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority police were trying to determine what led to the series of crashes from Arlington to Dulles International Airport about 9:30 a.m.

The driver, whom police identified as Muhammad Teshale, 25, of Alexandria, was arrested outside the airport's main terminal after authorities found the damaged blue van. Teshale was charged with one count of hit and run in Fairfax County. Additional charges were pending.

Law enforcement officials close to the investigation said that the driver told police that he "did it to be famous." The man drove the shuttle at 90 to 95 mph at times on roads that have speed limits of 55 mph, officials said.

The incident appears to have begun with three hit-and-run crashes along I-66 in Arlington about 9:25 a.m.

Corinne Geller, a state police spokeswoman, said that a blue SuperShuttle vehicle was heading west when it twice sideswiped the passenger side of a Dodge Charger. The shuttle then rear-ended a Chrysler Pacifica and a taxi, sending both vehicles off the highway.

The driver of the Pacifica, a 33-year-old Centreville woman, and her year-old daughter were taken to Arlington Hospital with minor injuries.

Four minutes later, state police learned of a fourth crash in the westbound lanes of I-66 at the Dulles Connector Road. The SuperShuttle rear-ended a 2006 Mercedes C240, authorities said.

The trail continued toward Dulles, police said. Courtney Mickalonis, a spokeswoman for the airports authority, said two drivers on the way to the airport reported that their vehicles had been struck.

"He was going at a high rate of speed," Geller said. "But there is no indication of motive."

Authorities said they were unsure whether there were passengers in the shuttle. They said there were none with the driver when the vehicle was found.

Ken Testani, a spokesman for Arizona-based SuperShuttle, said that company officials were looking into the incident.

© 2010 The Washington Post Company