Sheriff releases past reports involving Loughner

By David A. Fahrenthold and Sari Horwitz
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, January 12, 2011; 6:23 PM

The Pima County Sheriff's Department on Wednesday released reports from 12 cases in which its officers interacted with the family of Jared Loughner, files that provided evidence of the accused gunman's troubled childhood but contained no obvious foreshadowing of the rampage that killed six and left Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) critically wounded.

None of the cases involves Loughner, 22, making violent threats, using a firearm or hurting anyone. The most serious case involved a small-time drug arrest in 2007, when a sheriff's deputy reported finding a marijuana pipe in Loughner's pocket.

But other cases provided a window into Loughner's early life, in which friends have said he became increasingly isolated and at odds with his parents. In 2004, police were called to Mountain View High School at 9 a.m. because of an intoxicated student.

In the report, the name of the student is redacted, but the report cites the student's parents as "Mr. and Mrs. Loughner." Loughner is an only child.

Deputy Cheryl Berry wrote that the student, then 17, was so intoxicated he had to be taken to a hospital emergency room, where she interviewed him.

"He advised that he drank approximately 350 milliliters of vodka between the hours of 0130 hours and 0900 hours. He advised he drank the alcohol because he was very upset as his father yelled at him," Berry wrote in the report.

"I could see his eyes were very red and he was crying and had a strong odor of intoxicants coming from his body and breath. I was advised by the nursing staff that he had stolen the alcohol from his father's liquor cabinet," Berry wrote.

The report said the student was arrested for consuming alcohol, and that his parents were called to the hospital and remained with their son.

In another case, from 2004, officers were called to the high school for an incident in which another student had allegedly poked Loughner with a needle attached to a pen.

"Two other kids said, hey, he just poked you with a needle," wrote Berry, who was also the responding deputy in that case. "He stated as soon as he figured out that he was poked with a needle, he started to become pale, got dizzy, and could not stand."

Loughner did not seem to be badly hurt, the report said, and he decided not to press charges.

In the drug-possession case, officers stopped a van carrying Loughner and a companion. When the van stopped, deputy Jeffrey Garcia wrote, "I was able to detect a strong odor of burnt marijuana."

A search of the car yielded a "burnt marijuana roach" in the car. A later search found a marijuana pipe in Loughner's pants pocket, the report said. Loughner was cited for a misdemeanor in that case, for possession of drug paraphenalia. He entered a diversionary program and was not convicted.

The latest case involving Loughner came in October 2008, when he made an odd report of "identity theft." He was apparently concerned that his name and photo appeared on a Web site without his permission. Loughner said he believed the culprit might be a friend, but provided little evidence, according to the report.

"He wanted a police report because he was concerned about trying to get jobs and having employers pulled this up and see someone using his identiy on their profile," deputy Rachel Navar wrote.

The case stalled, according to the report, when officers found that their contact number for Loughner no longer worked.

The other cases include typical reports of suburban crime: two reports of vandalism to vehicles owned by Jared's father, the theft of an inspection sticker off of his mother's car.

Others show just how much the Loughner family's world changed on Saturday, the day of the shooting in Tucson. In one, a neighbor complained about a large truck parked on their block: deputies determined it was there to prepare for a broadcast of "Good Morning America."

On Monday, Randy Loughner - Jared's father - complained to police about a photographer he had seen in his backyard. Randy Loughner yelled at the woman to leave, and threatened to set his dog on her.

She left. Police reported later rounding up two journalists in the area: Loughner was not able to positively identify either one as a suspect in the trespassing.

View all comments that have been posted about this article.

© 2011 The Washington Post Company