School put girls on wrong bus, but dad nearly winds up in handcuffs

Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, February 4, 2011; 8:18 PM

A Laurel minister whose two young daughters were placed on the wrong bus and left unaccompanied at a stop on Thursday says their elementary school called the police on him after he went to the school and became agitated.

Pastor C.J. Blair, 38, said he went to Brock Bridge Elementary School in Laurel after his children, 7-year-old Tatianna, a first-grader, and 5-year-old Gabrianna, who is in kindergarten, were not dropped off at their bus stop at the usual time.

Blair, who said he picks up the children every day after school, said he was told by other youngsters on the bus that his children might have been placed on a different bus.

He said that when he went to the school, he became upset when school officials told him that the missing children had indeed been placed on a different bus - whose route includes a stop across from their usual one - and then dropped off unaccompanied.

Blair said the girls were dropped off at their usual stop half an hour later than his usual 3:50 p.m. pickup time. By then, he had gone to the school searching for them. He said school officials told him that the children would not be dropped off if someone wasn't waiting for them. But school officials said that their policy does allow such dropoffs.

Bob Mosier, a spokesman for the Anne Arundel County school system, confirmed much of Blair's account but said that he had been told police were called both to help look for the children and because Blair was very agitated.

Blair disputed the statement that police had been called to look for the children. He said the officers threatened to arrest him and told him that they had been summoned because he was upset: "They said they were not called for the children - they were called for me."

Justin Mulcahy, an Anne Arundel County Police spokesman, said a 911 call came in at 4:25 p.m. for "an adult male acting disorderly." He said the 911 report did not mention missing children. "It came to us as a disorderly conduct call."

No arrest was made and the incident ended at 5:04 p.m., he added.

Blair said his daughters were traumatized and are now afraid to go to school. He said he was humiliated by his treatment.

"Who ain't going to yell because their kids are missing?" he said in a telephone interview Friday. "How do I become the villain? Because they lost my children."

"I volunteer at the school five days a week," he said. "For me to be treated like that and for the police to treat me like that is off kilter. They disrespected me and disregarded my children, like my children didn't matter."

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2011 The Washington Post Company