Loudoun County news in brief
Loudoun getting extra funds to cover last winter's storms
Virginia received additional federal funds Monday to help cover the costs of digging out from last winter's snowstorms.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency allocated about $3 million to the Virginia Department of Transportation for reimbursement of expenses related to snow removal in Loudoun and Prince William counties in the December 2009 and February 2010 storms, FEMA officials said.
About $1.6 million of the funding will go to Loudoun and $1.4 million will go to Prince William. officials said. To date, more than $45.7 million has been approved for Virginia applicants affected by the storms.
The grants, plus administrative costs, represent a 75 percent federal share of the costs, FEMA officials said; the remaining 25 percent will be paid with non-federal funds distributed by the Virginia Department of Emergency Management.
Also on Monday, FEMA announced that it will give an additional $1.2 million in snow disaster aid to the Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative. The funds will help cover expenses incurred for the removal of debris and restoration of power in Fairfax, Loudoun, Fauquier, Stafford and Prince William counties during last February's storms, FEMA officials said.
Supervisors temporarily modify meeting schedule
The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors has temporarily adjusted its meeting schedule to accommodate an increased workload that is anticipated through April.
The public input and general business meeting will be Mondays before first and third Tuesdays, beginning at 6 p.m. Public comments will begin at 6:30 p.m. Ten minutes after the conclusion of the public input and general business meeting, the board will reconvene for its regular business meeting, which is expected to be recessed by 10 p.m. and continue the following day, Tuesday, at 9 a.m., county officials said in a statement. The changes went into effect Monday.
The changes will be in effect through April to allow the board to address several issues in the coming months, including the proposed fiscal 2012 budget, the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act amendments, county redistricting, the Water and Wastewater Needs Assessment and possibly the Route 28 Comprehensive Plan Amendment, county officials said.
The board's monthly public hearing will continue to be Mondays after the first business meeting, but at a new time - 6 p.m. - beginning with the public hearing Monday.
Board meetings are in the board room of the Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison St. SE in Leesburg.
Information about the Board of Supervisors is available at www.loudoun.gov/bos .
Rescued dogs available for adoption in Loudoun
Loudoun County's Department of Animal Care and Control is assisting the U.S. Humane Society in its efforts to find homes for dogs rescued recently from two Missouri breeding facilities.
The dogs were surrendered by two commercial breeders that were unable to care for the animals. The dogs were taken to the Humane Society's Gaithersburg office and placed with several area shelters and rescue groups.
The dogs range in age from 2 to 8 years; all are small breeds. To see the dogs and other animals available for adoption, go to www.loudoun.gov/animals .
The animal shelter is at 39820 Charles Town Pike, Waterford.
- Compiled by Caitlin Gibson and Jennifer Buske