» This Story:Read +|Watch +| Comments
Page 2 of 2   <      

Lisa de Moraes: Viewers of record-setting Super Bowl XLV tuned out for 'Glee'

NOT MUCH TO CHEER ABOUT: Even "Glee's" cheerleaders couldn't retain most of the Super Bowl's 111 million viewers.
NOT MUCH TO CHEER ABOUT: Even "Glee's" cheerleaders couldn't retain most of the Super Bowl's 111 million viewers. (Michael Yarish)

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity

The reach number used to be relevant to advertisers because it was widely assumed anyone who watched six minutes of a show probably saw one ad break. Network reps - particularly those who work for sports divisions - like to hawk the "reach" stat because, well, it's bigger.

This Story
View All Items in This Story
View Only Top Items in This Story

Simon says

"I miss you guys," Simon Cowell cooed at shocked TV critics during a conference call to discuss his new singing competition series, "The X Factor."

The critics were not used to such squashy soupiness out of the mouth of the former "American Idol" judge, who is known for his ability to make Idolettes feel as if they'd been hit over the head with some heavy object at the exact same moment they were slipping on a banana peel.

"I'm glad we're coming back," he added sentimentally during the call, which had been set up to talk about "The X Factor."

On the new reality series, performers as young as 12 (and nearly as old as death) can compete as a solo singer or part of a group, and the judges also mentor the competitors, helping with song choice and performance. Auditions are scheduled to begin next month in Los Angeles, and the winner of the show - which is the latest iteration of Simon's British singing competition hit - will be awarded the largest prize in TV history: a $5 million recording contract. Simon insisted it is not a "dressed-up $5 million" but a genuine, grade-A "life-changing prize."

Asked what sets this new singing competition apart from "American Idol" - in which Simon was first foisted upon an unsuspecting public - he sniffed that it was "like comparing 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' with 'Jersey Shore.' "

This was the Simon they remembered - the one who chewed broken bottles and gazed upon TV critics at TV Press Tours as if they had the smell of onions.

Speaking of "Idol," Simon insisted he had not, except for a minutes-long trailer, watched the latest edition of that Fox hit, with new judges Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez. Yet Simon has apparently been paying very close attention to the ratings, which have held up quite well considering the show's age, the degree to which it was overhauled this season, and the move to the tougher Thursday night slot.

"I was more concerned about the ratings falling off a cliff, meaning the whole genre is now over," Simon admitted. "The good news is people are still excited about the shows, whether it's ['Idol'] or 'Dancing With the Stars,' which has definitely gotten better, or 'America's Got Talent,' " he said. Simon also exec-produces "Talent."

"People, thank God, still like these shows," Simon said.

In even the greatest men, there is almost always a weak spot. Achilles had his heel. Simon has Paula Abdul.

"I'm a massive fan of Paula," Simon said Monday - something to which you'd think no one would admit unless he knew it could be proved against him. Simon admitted they were friends "for I'd say 80 percent of the time" they'd worked together on "Idol" and had been in regular contact since. But, he said firmly, "I am not going to say today, on this call," who will and will not join Cowell as judges on "The X Factor" on Fox "because the truth is, honestly, we haven't made up our minds yet." That announcement, he said, was three to four weeks off.

Olbermann's next gig

Just when you thought you were going to get a vacation from Keith Olbermann, a publicist has sent out word that Keith is holding a news conference at 11 a.m. Tuesday to make an "exciting announcement" regarding the "next chapter in his remarkable career."

Less than a month ago, Olbermann abruptly exited MSNBC, where his show, "Countdown," had been the network's biggest draw. Both parties remain mum on the circumstances of the departure.

Late Monday, speculation focused on Olbermann delving into an Internet venture while also striking a deal with Current TV - the left-leaning current-affairs network available in just 60 million-ish U.S. homes, mostly on the digital tier, that is privately and independently owned by former vice president Al Gore and others. Olbermann would have an equity stake in Current TV, which is scheduled to make its "upfront" presentation to advertisers about programming plans one day after Olbermann's announcement, noted the New York Times.

Olbermann is presumed to be precluded from having a regular TV gig for some set period, per terms of his exit from MSNBC.


<       2

» This Story:Read +|Watch +| Comments
© 2011 The Washington Post Company

Network News

X My Profile