Man killed, 1 wounded in Sterling home invasion, Loudoun County sheriff says

The site of the Sterling shootings.
The site of the Sterling shootings. (Caitlin Gibons - The Washington Post)
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, February 11, 2011; 10:37 PM

One man was killed and another wounded after the pair burst into a Sterling house Thursday night and were shot by a man inside, police said.

The incident, which authorities called a botched robbery, was not believed to be a random crime.

"We do feel very confident that it was targeted," Loudoun Sheriff Stephen O. Simpson said.

The men charged into the two-story, single-family house, in the 1200 block of East Kennedy Road, about 8:30 p.m., assaulting a man who lived there, authorities said. Both were shot by the man they assaulted, according to police.

Police said they are still trying to determine the nature of the suspected connection between the three men, who range in age from late 20s to early 30s. They didn't suspect any gang affiliation.

Seven people who were inside the house during the incident were interviewed, according to authorities. They told deputies the men were trying to rob them, police said.

The men "knew what they were coming for and where it was," Simpson said. "Either they have been there before or someone who has been there before instructed them where to go and what to do."

One of the alleged invaders, Anthony D. Miles, 28, of Manassas, was found shot in the house. He was taken to Inova Loudoun Hospital at Lansdowne, where he was pronounced dead, authorities said.

A second man, who police said was 32 but did not identify, fled the scene and was driven to the same hospital in a private vehicle. He was transferred to Inova Fairfax Hospital with a life-threatening gunshot wound and was in stable condition Friday, according to sheriff's officials.

The resident of the house who shot the two men suffered a bloody nose, police said. He was treated and released from the hospital. Authorities did not release his name.

No charges have been announced in connection with the incident.

Yellow police tape encircled the front yard of the brown-shuttered house on East Kennedy Road on Friday morning.

The tree-lined streets of the neighborhood were quiet, and the few neighbors who were home said they did not realize anything had happened Thursday night until police and ambulances arrived shortly before 9 p.m.

Police said they recovered the vehicle used to take the second alleged robber to the hospital and are seeking the driver's identity.

© 2011 The Washington Post Company