End of 'twisted' relationship led to 3 fatal shootings in Manassas, police say

A pair of attacks just blocks apart has left three people dead and three others injured in a Virginia suburb of Washington and a man described as a person of interest was being questioned in both. (Feb. 11)
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, February 11, 2011; 10:37 PM

A romantic relationship that soured sparked a Manassas man to fatally shoot his ex-girlfriend and two other people and wound three more in a shocking spate of violence that shattered a close-knit neighborhood, authorities said Friday.

Jose Oswaldo Reyes-Alfaro, 37, a Salvadoran national who was in the country illegally, was armed with a .38-caliber revolver when he went to the Hood Road townhouse he shared with Brenda Ashcraft, 56, just after 7 p.m. Thursday, according to police and court records. After fatally shooting Ashcraft's son and wounding two other family members, including a teenage girl, he shot Ashcraft in the head as she tried to dial 911, police said.

Reyes-Alfaro then went to a house just blocks away and used the last bullet in the revolver to kill his friend Julio Cesar Ulloa, 48, court records say. Using a large knife or machete, he cut Ulloa's 77-year-old landlady in the head, the records say.

"We're not sure what the straw was that broke and led to all of this violence," said one police official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media. He said that Reyes-Alfaro and Ashcraft had a "twisted personal relationship."

Reyes-Alfaro, who is charged with three counts of murder and weapons violations and was being held in the Prince William County jail, entered the country illegally in February 2001, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials. He was ordered deported in 2002 but later obtained an "immigration benefit" that allowed him to stay in the United States legally. That benefit was revoked in 2006.

Court papers say that Reyes-Alfaro has a child in El Salvador and that he told a neighbor he was in the military in his home country. Ashcraft and Reyes-Alfaro had dated for about eight years, said Joseph Belle, Ashcraft's husband, who had remained friendly with his wife even though they no longer lived together.

Ashcraft and Reyes-Alfaro, who rented a room in her townhouse, had recently broken off their romantic relationship, police officials said.

Just over an hour before the attacks, William Ashcraft, Brenda Ashcraft's 37-year-old son, told a supervisor at his job at RailPlan International that he was worried about his mother and asked to leave, RailPlan President Terry Soesbee said. The company performs maintenance for Virginia Railway Express.

"He said to his supervisor, 'My mom called me, and there is some big concern about her safety and I want to leave to make sure she is okay,' " Soesbee said. "That was the last direct contact we had with him."

On Friday, police were still piecing events together but said they were called to Ashcraft's home about 7:15 p.m. Thursday and found a gruesome scene. Brenda Ashcraft was dead in the front yard, and William Ashcraft, who had been shot in the chest, was inside the home, dying.

Two other people who lived there - a 15-year-old Osbourn High School student and a 34-year-old woman - were shot. The woman remained in the hospital Friday, and the teenager was released.

About 7:45 p.m., just a half-hour after the first attack, police were called to a home blocks away, where Reyes-Alfaro's friend, Ulloa, rented a room. Ulloa had been shot in the head.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2011 The Washington Post Company