Two burglary suspects killed in shootout with D.C. police near Catholic University

Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The three masked men, wearing black clothes and gloves, burst into a house filled with Catholic University students. The terror was just beginning.

They beat the students. They kicked them. They robbed and threatened to kill them, according to a police affidavit. Amid the chaos, someone managed to dial 911.

The call to police late Sunday led to a 30-minute standoff that ended with an exchange of gunfire outside the house in the Brookland neighborhood of Northeast Washington, about a half-mile from the university's campus.

Suspect Akeem Cayo, 21, was dead, and suspect Davon Sealy, 19, died hours later. The third suspect, identified in court documents as Steffan Fields, was in custody. And the 10 people who had been inside the home were led out by police, each with his own harrowing tale to tell authorities.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said the victims were "targeted," but she did not elaborate on their relationship to the suspects. It was the District's first fatal police-involved shooting of the year.

"I feel comfortable saying that with the information we have, it does not appear to be a random crime," Lanier said in a briefing Monday with reporters.

Police said all three suspects were from Gaithersburg. According to an affidavit filed in D.C. Superior Court, the surviving suspect - D.C. police spelled his first name as Stefan - told police he had been to the house in the 1000 block of Irving Street NE twice before: once for a party, and once to buy marijuana.

On Sunday night, he went to the house to get marijuana from the "weed man," he told police.

Fields, 21, faces charges of assault on a police officer while armed and first-degree burglary while armed. He was ordered held without bond and is scheduled to appear in court March 3.

Six Catholic University students who lived in the house, two other students at the university and two additional guests were home about 10:30 p.m. when Fields, Cayo and Sealy burst in, police said.

The victims told police they differentiated between two of the suspects by their footwear. Fields, who went from room to room threatening to use his gun and kicking the victims as they lay on the floor, wore black boots, the students said. Cayo wore tan boots. A bandana that covered Sealy's face had a white skull print.

The men robbed the victims, then took items from the house and stuffed them into their backpacks, according to the affidavit. When the suspects realized police were outside, they started to scatter their bounty throughout the house, according to the court document.

CONTINUED     1        >

© 2011 The Washington Post Company