» This Story:Read +| Comments

Immigration authorities at odds on local participation in enforcement program

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 16, 2011; 10:30 PM

Even as federal immigration officials were telling Arlington County, San Francisco and other jurisdictions that they could not opt out of a controversial immigration enforcement program, they were telling other municipalities that they could, according to internal Department of Homeland Security documents.

This Story
View All Items in This Story
View Only Top Items in This Story

The documents, released as a result of a lawsuit against DHS by opponents of the program, reveal an agency at odds over how to handle criticism of Secure Communities, the Obama administration's signature immigration enforcement program, without running afoul of constitutional limits on what the federal government can demand of local jurisdictions.

The program sends fingerprints gathered by local law enforcement agencies to the FBI and then through a federal immigration database to identify undocumented immigrants. About 1,049 jurisdictions in 39 states participate, including many in Maryland and Virginia.

About 59,000 undocumented immigrants have been deported via Secure Communities, including 21,000 convicted of murder, rape and other violent crimes, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. It has been praised by officials in the vast majority of communities where it is being used.

But the program has come under fire from some officials in Arlington County, the District and other municipalities because of worries that Secure Communities could discourage immigrants from reporting crimes.

When Arlington and Santa Clara, Calif., sought to opt out of the program last year, ICE officials said it was not possible for local jurisdictions to refuse to participate.

In October, DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano declared that Secure Communities was not "an opt-in, opt-out program." But even after her statement, ICE officials did not back away from earlier assurances to New York officials that local communities there would have the last word on whether to join the program. Internal documents show they also created an exception for Chicago.

"No jurisdiction will be activated if they oppose it," read an e-mail to New York officials from Dan Cadman, a Secure Communities regional coordinator. "There is no ambiguity on that point. We get it."

John Caher, a spokesman for the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services, said federal authorities have continued to allow local jurisdictions in New York to opt in or out.

"In our view, it's a local decision," said Caher, who noted that only 10 of New York's 62 counties had chosen to participate.

The contradictory messages were evident within the federal agency. Five days after Napolitano declared that the program was effectively mandatory, a Secure Communities regional coordinator, whose name was blacked out in one of the internal documents that was made public, sent an e-mail to colleagues disputing Napolitano's claim.

"Witness the fact that Chicago and Cook County IL have in fact opted out; and the fact that in New York State, we are required to ask each and every law enforcement organization in the state whether or not they wish to participate before we will be permitted to activate them," the e-mail stated. "How does any of that square with the 'no opt-out for locals?' Doesn't."


CONTINUED     1        >

» This Story:Read +| Comments
© 2011 The Washington Post Company

Network News

X My Profile