Sunday, February 27, 2011;
Since our first Peeps Diorama Contest in 2007, we've combed through thousands of sweet and sticky entries looking for the true masters of the mallow medium. It's that time again -- this serves as the first callout for our fifth annual Peeps Diorama Contest.
Your mission: Make a diorama of a famous occurrence, scene or pop culture phenomenon. It can be a historic, current or future event; it can nod to something local, national, global or intergalactic. The one rule is that all the characters in the diorama must be played by Peeps. If you need inspiration, view last year's contestants.
1. Think of a scene. Sketch some ideas. Everyone likes puns, wit and satire; if you employ them in your diorama or title, you might get extra credit.
2. Make your diorama using a shoebox or a comparable item of reasonable size. To be eligible for finalist standing, the diorama must be transportable to our office by one person. Use those fluffy chicks and bunnies to bring your creative vision to life. If you don't know how to make a diorama, do an Internet search for "how to make a diorama."
3. Take photos of your completed diorama from several angles. Send no more than two photos as high-resolution jpeg attachments to email@example.com. Put "Peeps" in the subject line, or risk being ignored as spam. Within the text of the e-mail, include your name, daytime phone number, home town, diorama title and any necessary information about its significance or creation. You may submit multiple dioramas.
4. Photo submissions are due by Monday, March 14, at 11:59 p.m., but keep your masterpieces intact after submission. We'll pick five finalists based on originality and execution; those dioramas will be retrieved via courier and photographed professionally. Original dioramas must be made available to be photographed. We will publish photos of our semifinalists and winner on Sunday, April 17.
5. The grand prize winner will receive a $100 American Express gift check and an executive Peeps gift box courtesy of Just Born, the company that owns the Peeps brand. Four semifinalists will receive $50 American Express gift checks and an executive Peeps gift box.
6. The fine print: Contest is open to anyone in the United States, but the five finalists must be residents of the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia. Contestants must be 13 years of age or older to enter. If you are younger than 13, please have a parent, guardian or teacher submit your entry. No purchase necessary to enter this contest. This contest is sponsored by WP Company LLC d/b/a The Washington Post ("Sponsor"). Employees, officers, directors and representatives of Sponsor and its affiliates, and those with whom they are domiciled are not eligible. Void outside of the District of Columbia, Virginia and Maryland and where prohibited by law. Contest subject to all federal, state and local laws. For official rules, visit www.washingtonpost.com/postfun.
Want the insider's scoop? Join The Post's Holly E. Thomas at 1 p.m. ET on Monday to ask your questions.