The TV Column: Charlie Sheen gets high Monday on the sound of his own voice
Tuesday, March 1, 2011; 3:46 AM
"I am on a drug. It's called 'Charlie Sheen,' " Charlie Sheen told ABC on Monday in an Oscar-worthy performance that, sadly, happened the morning after the network's broadcast of the Academy Awards.
"It's not available because if you try it once, you will die. Your face will melt off, and your children will weep over your exploded body," the benched star of CBS's "Two and a Half Men" told ABC's news division in an interview, portions of which aired Monday on its infotainment show "Good Morning America."
"I woke up and decided, you know, I've been kicked around. I've been criticized. I've been like the 'Aw, shucks' guy with, like, this ... rock-star life," Sheen explained.
"And I'm just finally going to completely embrace it, wrap both arms around it and love it violently. And defend it violently through violent hatred."
Sheen, 45, launched his Violent Hatred Crusade early Monday on both "GMA" and NBC's "Today" show. Sheen followed that up quickly with a live, Web-stream interview with celebrity tabloid Web-site-cum-syndicated-TV-show "TMZ," after which his longtime publicist, Stan Rosenfeld, issued a statement saying: "At this time I'm unable to work effectively as his publicist and have respectfully resigned."
Rosenfeld did not elaborate. But our best guess is it had something to do with that TMZ interview Monday afternoon.
Sheen was asked why - after he wound up in the hospital in October after a bender at the Plaza Hotel in New York - a statement had been issued saying that the actor had suffered an allergic reaction to medication.
"I was asleep when that statement went out. . . . I respect Stan - he was doing the best he could at the moment - but had I conferred with him, I probably would have come up with something better," Sheen responded. Ouch.
After that interesting TMZ chat, a veritable eczema of Sheen interviews broke out on the media landscape Monday, including chats with E!, "Access Hollywood" and "Piers Morgan Tonight," among other lucky venues.
Yes, Monday was quite a busy day in the Charlie Sheen World.
Last Thursday, CBS and Warner Bros. TV took the extraordinary step of scrapping production on the country's most popular comedy series for the rest of the TV season, after Sheen went on his most breathtaking radio tear yet.
"Based on the totality of Charlie Sheen's statements, conduct and condition, CBS and Warner Bros. Television have decided to discontinue production of 'Two and a Half Men' for the remainder of the season," the two companies said Thursday in a statement.