Page 3 of 5   <       >

Mayor Gray: No 'quid pro quo'

He said Green gave him another envelope. "He'll be taking care of you from now on," he said Green told him.

In a written statement, Green called the allegations a "smear campaign" and said Brown sent "disturbing text messages which I have turned over to the proper authorities."

"I have also retained an attorney to look into initiating legal action against Mr. Brown for the libelous, scandalous statements he is making to the news media and others against me," she said in the statement.

On July 30, Brown received his first call from Brooks's cellphone number, at 2:03 p.m.

He said Brooks would call and say, "I got something for you." Brown recalled Brooks holding his suit jacket at a forum, only for it to be returned with an envelope in the pocket. A few times, Brown said, they met in a parking lot across from Gray's downtown campaign headquarters on Sixth Street NW.

Brown received 10 phone calls from Brooks's cellphone from July 30 through Sept. 5, according to the records. The calls lasted one to two minutes.

Brooks, who campaign finance records show earned $44,000 to work on Gray's campaign, including a $30,000 payment on Nov. 8, denied any such exchanges.

Gray said he "never had any conversation with Howard Brooks about any engagement with Sulaimon Brown. . . . Whatever he did interacting with Sulaimon Brown, he did it on his own."

Cellphone records show several phone calls between Brown and numbers belonging to Gray and Green in July. On July 15, Brown called Gray's number at 6:45 p.m. for a call that lasted three minutes. Another call went out to Green at 6:48 p.m. In three back-to-back calls, they appeared to talk for 19 minutes. At 9:57 p.m., Brown received a call from Gray's cellphone number, and they appeared to talk for 14 minutes.

Gray said Saturday that he didn't remember the phone call. "I honestly don't have a clue what that was about," he said. "I don't know if I had any other conversations with him other than when I saw him at forums."

Although Brown received only 209 votes in the primary, he proved able to incite anti-Fenty crowds during debates with a signature line: "Go Brown. Go Gray. Go any color. But please, don't go Fenty."

By the end of the summer, Fenty appeared to get more and more worn down. On Aug. 9, Fenty was clearly shaken by Brown's comments in a Ward 8 debate where Brown told the crowd that Fenty probably did not respect his parents. "I've been attacked a lot by this candidate over here. I've never responded, but I would just ask all of my people running for mayor, all the other candidates who are running, he just said he doesn't know whether I respect my parents. At some point, you all, we're crossing the line."

<          3           >

© 2011 The Washington Post Company