The Reliable Source

Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, July 5, 2006; 12:00 PM

The Reliable Source is back, under the stewardship of Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts . Appearing in the Style section on Tuesdays through Fridays and Sundays, The Reliable Source brings you gossip from across the region and around the world -- candid looks at the lives and loves and hi jinks of all your favorite bold-faced names, be they congressmen or millionaires, ballplayers or news babes, nightlife divas or master thespians, DJs or gadflies, has-beens or will-bes.

Argetsinger and Roberts are online each Wednesday at Noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, what you thought about their recent columns or who you want  to see them writing about in the future.

Reliable Source Columns

Argetsinger is a veteran of all leafy-green, protein-rich sections like Metro and National, while Roberts brought you the champagne and bon-bons of Style's society beat.

A transcript follows.

Roxanne Roberts: Happy back-to-work Wednesday---for those of us at our offices today. I slipped away for a long weekend, and Amy is out for the entire week, so bear with my slow typing.

Let's chat! Jenna is leaving town, her dad is turning 60 tomorrow, and Karen Feld is leaving gossip (for the moment.)

Potomac, Md.: What's the rest of the story about Jenna Bush's unique career move? Where is she teaching? What is she teaching? For whom is she teaching -- a country, a private organization, a charitable organization, a non-profit? Does she speak Spanish? Why is she going to South America?

Roxanne Roberts: Details, as they say, are sketchy. This is something she's been talking about for a while. The White House is mum about specifics for security reasons, so we know it's Latin America but not which country or organization. I think she'll probably continue teaching along the lines of her class this year: She taught third-graders in a Spanish immersion class, so the English-speaking kids learned Spanish, and the Spanish-speaking kids learned English.

Rosslyn, Va.: Help! Going through Clooney withdrawal. Where is he? Has one of you got him stashed somewhere?

Roxanne Roberts: Nope. He's scheduled to start filming "Ocean's 13" this month with Brad Pitt and Matt Damon, so I figure he's doing last minute "executive producer type" things in Los Angeles instead of sunning at his Italian villa. And think about it: If I had George stashed, you think I'd be HERE today?

Pittsburgh, Pa.: Jenna heading off to Latin America? Seems a bit of an odd choice to me. Doesn't bode well for her relationship, though. Usually, people relocate to be CLOSER to each other, not further away.

Roxanne Roberts: Henry Hager is off to business school at UVa, so he's going to be hitting the books. They were together last night at the White House celebrating her dad's birthday, so it looks like this is a working year for them---not a breakup.

Why does Latin America seem odd to you?

Mie N Yu: From today's column ... the REAL reason those bathrooms are suitable for trysts is that it's one big unisex bathroom. Very jarring for a normal person but part of what would make it easier to carry off if you wanted to tryst there.

Hey, if sex in an airplane bathroom is "joining the mile-high club," what kind of club do you join with this type of encounter?

washingtonpost.com: Gossip Scribe Finds Bumps in the Road as Travel Writer (Post, July 2)

Roxanne Roberts: The bathroom sex item was actually in Sunday's column, so those of you who missed it: Mie N Yu's restaurant in Georgetown was voted one of the top spots in the country for a romantic (or just hot)fourth course in the restroom.

The Flush Club? Call me old-fashioned, but I'm not joining.

Northwest: How often do Bill and Hillary Clinton hang out? He's living in New York State and she has a house in D.C. Do they even hang out? Do they date other people? What's going with that marriage?

Roxanne Roberts: I think we can safely say the Clinton's marriage is complicated. Beyond that, hard to know the state of bliss for these two super bright, super busy people. But they DO spend time together in public, despite geography and campaigns. They go to the movies a lot, and we caught them at the Sons of Italy Foundation's annual awards in May and at Cafe Milano afterward.

17th and Rhode Island, NW, Washington, D.C.: Greetings,

How can one get invited to these swanky embassy parties and other "must attend" functions in the area. I want to make myself over as a mover and shaker in this town!

Roxanne Roberts: How's the wallet these days? Best way to get invited to swanky soirees is to become a big-bucks donor to worthy causes and organizations around town. I wrote a story a couple years ago about what it cost to break into social Washington. The amount was $150,000-200,000 in donations per year (not counting the mansion or staff) which will get you plenty of engraved invitations.

Pittsburgh, Pa.: "Why does Latin America seem odd to you?"

Well, maybe because she's chosen to leave the U.S. I knew she had a boyfriend, so I would have thought she may have wanted to chose a place where they could still see each other without having to travel a long way.

Roxanne Roberts: Possibly, or maybe they want to do the time-consuming career stuff (business school, teaching abroad) before they settle down together. Remember, they'll still in their mid-20's. We'll know in a year or so.

Pittsburgh, Pa.: It would break my little 'ole heart, but I hear that Keanu Reeves is engaged.

And -- is it true that Kathy Griffin finally really did divorce her husband because she found out that he had been stealing from her (to the tune of 72K)?

Roxanne Roberts: Keep hope alive. The National Enquirer says he popped the question to Claire Forlani, but there's no confirmation from his camp, so it's not a done deal.

The gossip might be based on a recent interview he gave to People magazine, where he said he'd like to get married and have kids some day. In December 1999, his girlfriend, Jennifer Syme, gave birth to a stillborn daughter who was named Ava Archer Syme Reeves. Two years later, Syme was killed in a car accident. Maybe he's ready for another relationship if the right girl comes along.

As for Kathy, don't know---but we'll look into it.

Tai Shan Here: Aunt Roxanne, why do you want George Clooney when you can come see me?

Roxanne Roberts: Good point, you adorable fuzzy wuzzy. But aren't you a bit young for me? Your first birthday isn't until Sunday...

The Other Twin: What's Barbara up to these days?

Roxanne Roberts: Jenna's twin is in New York City, where she's working for the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in the educational programming department. Interestingly, Barbara wasn't at dad's birthday bash last night.

17th and Poor house: 200K?Hmm, perhaps I should become more of a mover than a shaker. What can I get for about 10K a year?

Roxanne Roberts: One table at a fancy do, or a seat at ten really expensive fundraisers. There are a lot of charities that would be thrilled to have you come to their events, and tickets are in the $250-$500 per person range. But honestly, you should donate because you believe in the organization, not to meet celebrities---because they may or may not show up.

Logan Circle, Washington, D.C.:  For the social wannabe ... Embassies have parties all the time that you don't need to donate anything to anyone to attend! Pick the embassy of your choice, go to their Web site, see what's coming up. Sure, there may be exclusive functions for just natives of that country or other "connected" people (for example, I am "on the list" of a certain country's embassy because I am a dual-national ... but I think the public events are much more fun that the ones with engraved invites). Go to a public event at an embassy and network from there ... you never know. Maybe start with the Embassy of France's Bastille Day ball? It's $70.

Roxanne Roberts: There you go....

Brambleton, Va.: So where is Suri? Any info on if baby TomKat exists or where they are hiding her? Also -- plenty of pics of Tom out and about but nothing on Katie ... what's going on!?

Roxanne Roberts: Lots of people are wondering the same thing. On Saturday, our fab colleague Korin Miller reported:

"Suri Holmes-Cruise, the high-profile spawn of Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise, has done a swell job of dodging the paparazzi since her birth 74 days ago, even though her parents have since been spotted out in public.

But look out, Shiloh Jolie-Pitt! The couple's publicist assured us that Suri is quite the looker. "She's an angel," Cruise mouthpiece Arnold Robinson told us, noting that the tiny tyke has "jet-black hair and piercing blue eyes."

Alas, no photos were offered up for confirmation.

Robinson also said the baby is healthy, beautiful and "doing fabulously." He added, "Tom and Kate are enjoying their time at home with her very much."

After her parents' whirlwind (and very public) courtship, Suri has been surprisingly trumped by her counterparts -- Grier Hammond Henchy (daughter of Brooke Shields ), Barron Trump (son of The Donald ), Moses Martin (son of Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin ) and baby Jolie-Pitt -- in the Hollywood baby boom photo race.

So, when will the world get to see those "piercing" blue eyes? Don't hold your breath. Robinson told us no decision has been made about releasing a photo."

Tai Shan Here Again: Aunt Roxanne, are you coming to my birthday party? I'm going to get my first fruitsicle! Then I'll probably roll around and maybe stick my butt up in the air.

Roxanne Roberts: "Aunt?" Guess I just bit the romance in the.... Anyway, I love birthday parties and might join the zillion others celebrating the big day.

Washington, D.C.: Keanu Reeves is with Claire Forlani?!

When did this happen?

Roxanne Roberts: Relax. Not sure if they're even dating. They were spotted having dinner together at Cut, Wolfgang Puck's new steakhouse in Los Angeles, but that doesn't mean romance or engagement rings.

Fairfax, Va.: Will Barbara Bush hang out with Chelsea Clinton in New York City? Maybe they'll be best buds like their granddad and dad, respectively!

Roxanne Roberts: Now, wouldn't THAT be fun for the paparazzi?

Germantown, Md.: Kenneth Lay bit the dust. Now, that's news!

Roxanne Roberts: News, yes. But not gossip or funny, so I'll leave to the business reporters to write about. I do, however, want to write about any gossip-worthy tips, so share at reliablesource@washpost.com. Happy Birthday, America (and Mr. President!)

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Live Online discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company