Celebritology Live

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Liz Kelly
washingtonpost.com Celebrity Blogger
Thursday, April 5, 2007; 2:00 PM

When stars shave their heads, couch-jump, commit a fashion faux pas and commit random acts of tomfoolery, washingtonpost.com Celebritology blogger Liz Kelly shares the buzz, offers perspective and provides crucial links to juicy alternate news sources and, of course, takes your reaction in her daily blog.

Now join Liz each Thursday at 2 p.m. ET to gab about the latest celebrity pairings (and splittings), rising stars (and falling ones), "Lost," and get the scoop on the latest gossip making waves across the Web.

A transcript follows.

Before she started blogging about celebrities, Liz ran washingtonpost.com's Live Online section, where she enjoyed talking to really interesting people -- including some Post reporters -- on the phone. She produces both Carolyn Hax's advice discussion and Gene Weingarten's Chatological Humor*, which is currently on hiatus.

Liz Kelly: Ahh spring in Washington. Cherry blossoms and near-Arctic weather. When do the pools open?
To take our minds away from the chill, let us contemplate the genius of Keith Richards, the comparative stupidity of Jeremy Piven and the freakazoid known as Halle Berry.
A suddenly waifish Courtney Love has been snapped in a series of different bathing suits this week, but some of the latest pix have many asking -- is this for real (she attributes "limitless self esteem" for her four-month slim down) or did she take the "Dr. 90210" shortcut? What do you think?
Last night's "Lost" was good fun and we'll continue this morning's post-show analysis in the last 15 minutes of today's discussion.
And, since it doesn't get much better than a chick with a gun for a leg (it just SO outdoes Heather Mills), who else is headed to the theater to take in "Grindhouse" this weekend?
Let's rock...

Washington, D.C.: Liz-

You have become my favorite guilty pleasure since you started this chat! Any insight as to when my other guilty pleasure, Gene, will be back? Thanks!

Liz Kelly: Oh, that's right. Gene Weingarten will return to his regularly scheduled weekly chats on Tuesday, April 24, at Noon ET.
He'll also be online Monday, April 9, at 1 p.m. ET to discuss his Post Magazine cover story.
See, flattery will get you everywhere.

Alexandria, Va.: Can you please explain to me why Sanjaya has lasted this long? He's tone deaf.

Liz Kelly: I was thinking about this just again this morning.
Aside from the fact that Howard Stern and some anti-"Idol" sites are inciting folks to vote for him, he may have more in common with a pop idol than some of his better-voiced competitors.
Not all pop stars are the best of singers, but they are usually natural performers. Madonna, f'rinstance, has never been particularly strong on vocals, but she's got a lot of personality and knows how to put on a show.
Sure, even Gina Glocksen (who was dumped last night) can belt out a song, but Sanjaya has got people tuning into "Idol" and I'm betting the producers realize that, too.

Pittsburgh, Pa.: Courtney Love's abdomen is kind of scary, depending on how she is photographed. It looks, well, kind of wrinkly. Can this happen with a too-rapid weight loss?

Liz Kelly: I'm guessing yes... Anyone more in the know out there care to weigh in on the body's reaction to rapid loss of 40+ pounds?

RE: Courtney "Skeletor" Love: Well, she sure had her lips Restylaned. Look at them!! She looks punched. And if she had had the fat vacuumed, I would think the doctor would have done a tummy tuck at the same time, as did Britney's, because he would not likely have left that baggy sag there. Someone needs to stage an intervention; however, as she looks heinous.

Liz Kelly: It's totally gotta depend on the doc, though. Remember Tara Reid's nasty lumpy lypo-ed tummy (which she claims to have corrected since)? Maybe someone out there can find a pic for us.

Portland, Ore.: So -- is Gerard Butler dating Rosario Dawson, or Naomi Campbell? Or both?!!

Liz Kelly: Both, depending on where you get your information. Some reports place Butler with Naomi Campbell at events in both Miami and New York, while others say Rosario Dawson was snapped cozying up to Butler at a "300" premiere after party last month. It isn't really clear, though, whether either relationship goes much further than a photo op.
It's not too late, by the way, to purchase tix for the Gerard Butler convention is taking place a year from now right here in Old Town Alexandria. The incredibly detailed itinerary includes the "Gerryfest Slumber Party:
"Friday night, April 4 2008. Grab your pillow and bunny slippers and pad downstairs for a local tart tradition. We'll stay up and watch Gerry videos and movies. (And things we can't tastefully show at the convention LOL). Open only to guests of the Radisson Old Town Hotel Alexandria at no extra charge."
Okay, I need to start planning how to cover this now.

Virginia: Your link to the bit about Suri Cruise's hair appointments (I'm not even going to go there) also contains a blurb about Cynthia Nixon pulling a Ziploc bag out of a trash can and using it for her son's half-eaten snack. I tend to be pretty thrifty and practical, but I just can't wrap my head around that.

Liz Kelly: Ya, I included that item in the blog yesterday, too. Apparently she had watched a woman place the baggie in a garbage can moments before and, needing somewhere to stash the remainder of her kid's lunch, asked if she could dig it out.
I would probably make a different choice, but hey, maybe this is part of her plan to build up her kid's immune system.

For the Angie haters: There are quite a few good performances on this list (I heart IMDb). And also, she has stated on several occasions she likes to make the big money/not necessarily great films because she gives away 30-50% of her income and wants to have more to give.

Atlas Shrugged (2008) (announced)

Wanted (2008) (pre-production)

The Changeling (2008) (pre-production)

Kung Fu Panda (2008) (post-production) (voice)

Beowulf (2007) (post-production) (voice)

A Mighty Heart (2007) (post-production)

The Good Shepherd (2006)

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)

Alexander (2004)

The Fever (2004)

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)

Shark Tale (2004) (voice)

Taking Lives (2004)

Beyond Borders (2003)

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003)

Life or Something Like It (2002)

Original Sin (2001)

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)

Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000) .

Girl, Interrupted (1999)

The Bone Collector (1999)

Pushing Tin (1999)

Playing by Heart (1998)

Hell's Kitchen (1998)

Gia (1998) (TV)

Playing God (1997)

George Wallace (1997) (TV)

True Women (1997) (TV)

Foxfire (1996)

Love Is All There Is (1996)

Mojave Moon (1996)

Hackers (1995)

Without Evidence (1995)

Alice & Viril (1993)

Angela & Viril (1993)

Cyborg 2 (1993) .

Lookin' to Get Out (1982) (as Angelina Jolie Voight)

Liz Kelly: Okay, thanks for sharing this total non sequitur.

Washington, D.C.: I'm pregnant, due in August. When I was pregnant the first time two years ago I had all sorts of celebrity pregnancy matches: Britney (first time), Jennifer Garner, Michelle Williams, all with tabloid coverage to match. The only one I know of this time is Julia Roberts and Keri Russell, and I haven't seen anything since the initial news, and I don't even know due dates. Any ideas? How about other celebs?

Liz Kelly: Well, you've got Bridget Moynihan who is five months along -- which makes her just about a perfect match for you. Other currently preggers celebs include Salma Hayek, 17-year-old "Whale Rider" star Keisha Castle-Hughes and actress Connie Neilsen.
Buns in the oven have also been speculated for actress Isla Fisher (Borat's girlfriend), Nicole Kidman and -- as recently as today -- Gwen Stefani.
You might want to bookmark the fabulous Celebrity Baby Blog.

Pittsburgh, Pa.: Other than her brief marriage to Marilyn Manson (the thought just creeps me out), how did Dita Von Teese (which is not her real name, although I can't recall what her real name is) become famous. I understand that she is a burlesque performer - people still do that nowadays? Of course, now she just seems to get by as the face of MAC cosmetics, and being photographed at every red carpet event known to man.

Liz Kelly: It was pretty much the whole connection to Marilyn Manson that put her over the top and made her a marketable MAC face, though she's been doing the burlesque thing and working as a fetish model since the early 1990s.
Her real name, by the way, is Heather Renee Sweet. It couldn't be more perfect if it included "Crystal" or "Desiree."

Liz Kelly: It's worth adding that since her split from Manson, he's been spotted squiring around 19-year-old Evan Rachel Wood, who has taken to doing her best impression of Von Teese with '40s era hair and make-up.

Washington, D.C.: The whole Sanjaya thing is a little funny because of course he wouldn't be up there on the stage, driving the judges crazy with his mediocrity if they hadn't selected him to be there in the first place. America didn't pluck him from obscurity, they did. I would love to know why they decided to put him through at all, since it seems pretty clear to all of us watching that he has, at best, a pleasant voice but nothing anywhere near the caliber of some of the other contestants.

Liz Kelly: I think you're right. The judges put him through, probably recognizing the novelty of an Indian-American teenaged contestant with versatile hair. Did they think he'd make it this far? I'm guessing not.
I still think he has every right to be where he is, tho.

Weight Loss: Even when it isn't rapid, there's still going to be issues with extra skin, especially when you are older and it's less elastic.

Liz Kelly: Thanks for sharing. Sounds like good enough reason for me to go off my diet.

RE: Pregger celebs: Connie Nielsen preggers? What do they put in the water at Law & Order: SVU??

But seriously, I'm glad her stint on that show was a short one. Her and Stabler making out was gross.

And I love all things Mariska.

Liz Kelly: I like Connie Nielsen, but she's made a baby with Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich, who any self-respecting metal fan knows is a complete tool. Such is the conflict inside my soul.

Washington, D.C.: How to cover it? You buy tickets now! And you hold a contest of some sort, the winner of which gets to accompany fabulous you to GerryFest, or whatever it's called.

Rosario Dawson? Please. She wishes she was up to his caliber. Tacky hanger-on, is what she is. No, there's virtually no one in Tinseltown worthy of the Scottish hotness that is GB. He needs to shock the world by choosing some commoner, some tourist in Edinburgh perhaps, that he meets while leaning on the parapet of Edinburgh castle contemplating the view.

Liz Kelly: Dude -- "buy tickets" is not part of my vocabulary.
I like the idea of a contest, though. Let's hope my editrix is reading along.
Tacky hanger on!?! I think Rosario is totally hot. I have a big girl crush on her which translates to meaning that I would be fine if I woke up tomorrow suddenly transformed into her.

Holy Cow: I will admit that I am part of a group of lovely women who has done some obsessive things in the name of a soap star, but that Gerard Butler thing is deliciously creepy.

Liz Kelly: I know -- and it's so danged professional. All the events and the slickly designed Web site. It's almost too good to be true -- especially since it's to be held in our backyard. This town is the center of the world.
The one thing it doesn't make clear is whether or not Butler himself will appear. If I were him, I'd stay well clear of that estro-fest.

Silver Spring, Md.: Peeve of the day -- people who post comments on your "Lost" analysis who missed obvious events in the current episode, and/or don't know the rather significant details of the back stories of prior episodes/characters.

Let's try to pay better attention, okay?

Liz Kelly: I hear you, but remember, some folks are new to "Lost" and we should do our best to help them along until they are able to fly solo.

Washington, D.C.: (horrified whisper) Um, what's a fetish model? I'm afraid to Google it at work.

Liz Kelly: I haven't seen her work, per se, but I would imagine it to be some variation of bondage nookie.

Chicago, Ill.: So, will Gene really be back this month? (Transplanted from D.C. and hoping so ...)

Liz Kelly: Please see announcement earlier in the chat.

Celebrity pregnancies: When I was pregnant, it never occurred to me to see if a celeb was expecting at the same time. I wish I had! Oddly enough, I did notice that my pregnancy was coinciding with three mothers in comic strips: Baby Blues, Funky Winkerbean and FBOFW.

Liz Kelly: Okay, based on that info, you belong in Gene's chat.

Washington, D.C.: The letter to the Piv = pure brilliance.

Though the memory of the tulip picture will now remain with me to keep me up at night. And not in a good way.

Liz Kelly: Thank you.
I'd like to say that the only reason those Clip n' Saves are funny is my co-writer, Miss Lisa Todorovich. Golf clap for Lisa.

Fairfax, Va.: The array of drugs that Anna Nicole Smith was taking would have killed a horse. The potassium and the diuretics alone play havoc with your heart rhythm. I think that the doctor and Stern are to blame for knowingly allowing her to take all that medication. Of course she ultimately is to blame. She couldn't be that stupid but who knows what her mental state was? Also if you are taking so many drugs it alters your mental state. My question is do you think someone should be held liable for allowing all that medication?

Liz Kelly: Yes, you have to wonder when a doctor knowingly prescribes that much medication for one person and wonder why no one in her entourage defied her alleged request to not call 911 when she was out of it and suffering a fever of 105 degrees.
Still, she was of age and unless it is proven that someone shoved these meds down her throat, got to be primarily responsible for her decisions.

Sorry, I am clueless: Um ... who is Gerard Butler? I looked at that link and it wasn't much help, just something about tartan and Alexandria

Liz Kelly: Most recently, Butler was the ab-rippled star of "300" and will reprise the role of Snake Plissken in "Escape from New York."

17-year-old "Whale Rider" star Keisha Castle-Hughes: Wow, really?! Who's the father and are they happy about this? Seventeen years old, yikes!

Liz Kelly: Pops is her boyfriend and they are reportedly very happy.

Peeve of the day -- people who post comments on your "Lost" analysis who missed obvious events in the current episode, and/or don't know the rather significant details of the back stories of prior episodes/characters. : Whoa! Unclench there girl! Some of us watch TV for relaxation and don't keep a running data base of every event, random eye blink, or vague reference.

Liz Kelly: Fair enough.

I guess we could call them celebrities...: Have you seen the pics of the British newly-freed hostages? Okay the outfit for the lone woman is unfortunate, but for the rest -- kinda hot.

I didn't come up with this on my own -- the Wonkette first pointed it out.

The pic - British Hostages (AP, April 5)

Liz Kelly: I just don't know how to answer this or if I even should.

Rockville, Md.: Whom would Gene Weingarten snort?

Liz Kelly: Dave Barry, no doubt. Possibly Bob Dylan, on whom he has a big burly crush.

Arlington, Va.: Okay, I long ago accepted the fact that I have never heard of most the people referred to in J. Free's chat, and that's okay since I'm happy enough listening to the tunes of my youth. But lately I'm noticing that I have no idea who many of the celebrities in your blog are. How did I get so out of touch?

Oh, and this "Gerry" obsession is over the top. He's just not that hot. And even if he was, (as Gene would say) he still poops like the rest of us.

Liz Kelly: Hey square, if it's too loud you're too old.
I keed -- seriously, you're not out of touch. You are a healthy individual who obviously has more important things to do with your time -- like playing World of Warcraft.

Pittsburgh, Pa.: Dita Von Teese = fetish model.

A famous example is Betty Page, who did this type of modeling back in the 50's. They made a movie about her about a year or so ago. If you look at photos of Betty, Dita is totally channeling her.

Liz Kelly: Righto. Thanks for the assist.

Washington, D.C.: I don't watch "American Idol," except sometimes the last three minutes of it before something else comes on, but am I the only person here who saw the movie "American Dreamz"? It wouldn't surprise me ... the movie kinda sucked. But they did THIS EXACT SAME THING in the movie, with a recently-emigrated Arab kid of limited talent. The producers put him on (in place of his fabulous American-raised cousin) in order to shake things up a bit. I think he won against the dippy hometown honey, but then there was a suicide bomb involved at the final live show, and Hugh Grant might have died, and frankly, I lost interest and can't be more specific.

What's funny to me is that the "American Idol" producers saw this bad movie and thought, Hey, WE should try that!

Liz Kelly: I didn't see "American Dreams" -- something about Hugh Grant as Simon Cowell and Dennis Quaid as a bumbling president just turned me right off.
Interesting theory, tho. It's wag the dog.

Falls Church, Va.: RE: Anna Nicole Smith

It's just like Elvis, in my opinion.

Liz Kelly: Minus the terlet.

Butler Fan: Okay, you have to draw the line somewhere -- him, in "Escape From New York"? Sorry, there's only ONE Snake!

Is it just me, or is he starting to get a little weird?

Liz Kelly: That's exactly what Kurt Russell said, tho his criticism was more along the lines of Snake being "American."

Liz Kelly: Speaking of "Idol" -- anyone else catch the performance by that Canadian singer who filled in for Tony Bennett last night? Was he drunk or had someone hit him with a two-by-four directly before the performance?

Falls Church, Va.: Loved your advice for Jeremy Piven yesterday. I used to make a point to watch everything he was in (including "Chasing Liberty" and old episodes of "Ellen"), but now he just creeps me out. He seems well on his way to Dirty Old Manville.

Liz Kelly: I loved Piven on "The Larry Sanders Show." But then I loved that show in general. It's a tragedy that only the first season is out on DVD. Someone do something about this!

Googling at work: Dudes, just set the Google image "safe search" feature to "moderate." No naked pictures that way.

Liz Kelly: Another good reason to join this chat every week: Get the latest tips on how to circumvent your workplace Web monitoring programs.

American Dreamz: was actually good. Trenchant and satirical, and Mandy Moore did a great job -- really, she did.

Liz Kelly: Okay, answer me this (and this answer will tell me a lot): Did you also like "Music & Lyrics?"

Re: Escape from NY: Wonder who's going to play the Ernest Borgnine role? I can just hear the theme from "American Bandstand" now.

Liz Kelly: Rip Torn? Jack Black?

Friday List: Here's an idea inspired by this very chat: female celebs worthy of dating Mr. Butler and why.

Liz Kelly: I have a feeling the only respondents would directly correlate with the guest list of next year's Butlerfest.

Rosario Dawson: Did she and whats-his-name-Sam's-boyfriend-from-Sex-and-the-City split up?

Liz Kelly: Yes.

Out of Touch: See, I don't know what "World of Warcraft" is, either.

But I do watch "The Soup" religiously. Does that count for anything?

Liz Kelly: Yes, "The Soup" rocks. I have a crush on whatsizname, the host.
I have a crush on everyone.
My biggest crush of all, tho, is Mr. Liz.
I'm so barfy.

Another good reason to join this chat every week: Get the latest tips on how to circumvent your workplace Web monitoring programs. : not that I would do that ... but thanks!

Liz Kelly: I like to think of my job as two part celebrities, one part freaky pictures and one part facilitation.

Washington, D.C.: Okay, I'm back. I had to go make popcorn.

Yes Liz, you and your chatters are entertaining enough that I'm inspired to eat popcorn.

Carry on.

Liz Kelly: Wow. We're popcorn-worthy? I hope there's enough for everyone and it best not be none of that lo-test pop.

Silver Spring, Md.: "... and will reprise the role of Snake Plissken in 'Escape from New York.'"

Blasphemy.

Liz Kelly: Seriously. I'm reading a book right now (fiction) about a screenwriter and last night his agent said that Hollywood gets uncomfortable when presented with a new idea. How correct. But seriously, there should be some movies that are held as sacred and safe from the remake. "Escape from New York" is one of them.

23112: "That Canadian singer who filled in for Tony Bennett" is Michael Buble, and while I don't think he was drunk, it wasn't his best performance. He positively ELECTRIFIED Wolf Trap a couple of years back. But yeah, there's some schtick to his act, a little channeling of the collective Rat Pack. And I about fell off the couch when he asked about wasting his "votes."

Liz Kelly: Thank you. Buble, that's right.
He may have electrified Wolf Trap, but last night's "Idol" performance was more shockingly poor than electrifying. Still, he gets credit for turning up on short notice.

More than popcorn-worthy: You are Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies-worthy.

Liz Kelly: Okay, I'm gonna cry.
I'd also like to say that I myself consider you all to be Paul Newman Ginger-Oreo worthy.

Pseudo A.I. Fan: If Sanjaya wins do you think Simon will really leave the show?

Liz Kelly: I doubt it. He's got too much of a good thing going to walk away. It isn't as if "America's Got Talent" is anywhere near "Idol's" level of success.

"Music and Lyrics": Actually, it was too twee for me. It was a cute, light romance, but was too light and too treacly for my taste. "American Dreamz" had some serious bite to it. And cynicism.

Liz Kelly: Alrighty then. I'll add it to my Netflix list. Thanks for writing back.

Re: Anna Nicole-Elvis reference: "minus the terlet" -- and the talent.

Liz Kelly: Well, depends on how you define talent.

20th and L: WHAT?

17-year-old "Whale Rider" star Keisha Castle-Hughes: Wow, really?! Who's the father and are they happy about this? Seventeen years old, yikes!

Liz Kelly: Pops is her boyfriend and they are reportedly very happy.

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope I'm reading this wrong. Who is Pops?

Liz Kelly: EEks, I meant to say that the father of her child is her boyfriend. As in he's "pops" to the bun in the oven. As far as I know, Keisha and her man share no common blood lines.

"Escape from New York": But who will play The Brain's Squeeze? Who is the next Adrienne Barbeau?

Liz Kelly: Good question and one that calls "Swamp Thing" instantly to mind. Maybe we should turn our attention to casting this for tomorrow's Friday List?

Reprise?: Um, I think you mean "take over." Reprise means "to do again." So Russell reprised his role as Snake Plissken when they made "Escape from LA".

Liz Kelly: Um, I think I mean "reprise" in that they are repeating the plot from the original movie, not advancing the story or adding a third installment.

Liz Kelly: Doh -- it's LOST time. Spoilers ahead...

Pittsburgh, Pa.: "But seriously, there should be some movies that are held as sacred and safe from the remake. "Escape from New York" is one of them."

Hey, that's sounds like a good Friday list question -- what movies should never be remade?

Liz Kelly: Oooh, that's a possibility, too. What does everyone think? Movies that should never be remade or casting "Escape from NY?"

LOST: Hi Liz,

Great chat -- I love it! One more support for Juliet being a spy -- it's incredibly unlikely that she was gassed at all. If she was, she woke up long before everyone else. She had time to see who was left behind, drag Kate out into the jungle, handcuff herself to her, and pretend to be passed out before Kate woke up. My guess is Kate woke up before Jack simply because he was in an enclosed space with the gas while Kate and Sayid were outside. It seemed as if Sayid woke up earlier too, since he had time to case the area.

Liz Kelly: If she was ever knocked out at all. See the next comment...

Liz Kelly: Some commenters in the blog are saying that Juliet was one of the Others donning gas masks before they cleared out of the village. I DVR'd the show and just watched again a few times and I don't think she is. There are two blond women in the scene, but neither is Juliet.

Washington, D.C.: I was considering the overall quality of "Lost" and am now thinking that the show hasn't gotten worse but that the format has simply gotten stale after so long. Something like Sawyer's ex working with Kate last night would have been pretty huge in the first season, but now it feels like all the pre-island Lostie links fall into the "Yeah, yeah we get it" category. The same is mostly true with Jack and Claire being half-siblings. Even though a lot of people had guessed it, there was just wasn't a real feeling of importance in the confirmation.

The same is true of the constant new questions (four-toed statue, etc.), which are actually intriguing if you take them for what they are, but now produce frustration rather than anticipation because no one expects them to ever be answered.

So I guess the real question that I have is: Do you think it's remotely possible to bring the show's quality back to first season levels without drastically altering the underlying format of the show? Could fewer flashbacks help in some instances? Or maybe at least more in-island flashbacks? It seems like the well of pre-island biographical information is running a little thin.

Liz Kelly: Yep, you almost expect there to be intertwining storylines in the flashbacks at this point.
To answer your question, tho... Yes, I do think it's possible to return the show to season one quality. But to do this the producers and writers need to have a specific endpoint in time and that endpoint needs to come within one to two seasons. Anything more would stretch it out far too long. Once they know where the end is, they can confidently write episodes without having to leave everything so noodly and open-ended. They've said as much themselves, too.
I'm not sure if my co-analyzer Jen would agree.

The Soup: Host - Joel McHale. I went to college with him!

Liz Kelly: No way -- did you know him? Was he like the hilarious dude in the dining hall?

Washington, D.C.: "Talk Soup" was the best when hosted by the hunky hot Greg Kinnear! New guy is funny but not as funny ask Skunk Boy, John Henson.

Liz Kelly: I think he is, just in a different way. The beauty of the show is its free form and "E's" continued indulgence with allowing each host to imprint the show with his own personality.

Washington, D.C.: Hi Liz. What do you think of the Perez Hilton phenomenon? I always go to your blog first for the scoop in the a.m. Recently, I started going to his blog throughout the day for pick-me-ups at work. He is my version of caffeine. How do his white-pen-strokes over photos and celebrity gossip morsels have this power over me?

Liz Kelly: Well he definitely gets the scoop, but he's a little bit on the mean side for me. Also, I think it was a little uncool of him to take it upon himself to out Neil Patrick Harris.

Silver Spring, Md.: Lost endpoint -- one more season, please. If they go for two, they will have no audience left but bloggers.

Liz Kelly: Ya, I tend to agree. Keep the show vital by doing this in as few moves a possible.

Celebrity Pregnancy Twin: For your earlier poster ... Naomi Watts? Isn't she due over the summer?

Liz Kelly: She is -- thank you!

I vote for:: Movies that should never be (or shouldn't have ever been) remade.

But I'm on the road tomorrow, so I shouldn't get a say.

My submission would have been "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," by the way.

Liz Kelly: Right you are. Thanks.

Was "V" not the final battle?: My brother hears Marc Singer, Faye Grant and Jane Badler are all signed on for a V: The Next Generation.

1 -- Can this be true?

2 -- Have you heard who else may be signed on?

3 -- How long will it take to count my lucky stars?

4 -- If you don't know, where is Lisa DM's cell phone number so I can call immediately?

Liz Kelly: Well, if Marc Singer's on board -- yippeekaiyeeah!
And, according to Singer's IMDB page, he is in fact filming a "V" miniseries -- along with Faye Grant and Jane Badler.
Brilliant!

Bored at work: I'm thinking that the Others have got plans for Juliet that maybe she doesn't know about.

Remember they branded her because she wanted Jack to kill Benry? So maybe she doesn't have ulterior motives. They have been known to just kill folks for less so I'd guess that they need Juliet over there.

Whether or not she actually knows about any plans is yet another question.

Liz Kelly: That is an excellent point. A brand is a little far to go to convince the Losties that Juliet is on the outs with her tribe.
One peeve from last night's episode: The Losties have been on the island for three months. If Hurley approaches Sawyer and starts talking about "voting him off the island," there's no way Sawyer (or someone) would not have drawn a parallel with "Survivor." Sure it's on CBS, but come on -- it would've been a surefire pop culture reference.

Baltimore, Md.: Re Larry Sanders Show: Special DVD coming out in about 10 days. Saw an ad for it (in The New Yorker I think). I promises three hours of never before seen materials plus what are called "twenty of the best episodes."

Artie lives!

Liz Kelly: Okay, the last five minutes of this chat are totally making my day.

Washington, D.C.: Britney was supposed to be my wedding twin -- hers was to be the same day as mine -- but then she blessed me with the surprise wedding, which means I didn't have to share it with her. She also beat me to first baby, second baby and divorce.

Liz Kelly: Well, let us know what's next for you so we can get ready for Britney news.

Washington, D.C.: Hey now, nothing wrong with a little "World of Warcraft."

I'm such a geek.

Also, this chat is worthy of a trip down to the cafeteria to get chili on a cold day, and that's saying something good.

Liz Kelly: If I ever write a book, I will put that on the back. The bit about chili, not the bit about WoW.

Ending the show/season finale rumors: Well I've heard that the season finale of "Lost" is going to be like the post-Super Bowl "Alias" show altering episode.

While I still liked "Alias" after that ep, it was a bit disconcerting to see that risk taken -- and backfired. In the case of "Lost" though -- I think that will be a positive thing right?

Liz Kelly: I guess that remains to be seen. They need to do something to salvage the balance of this series, though. There's too much good about it to sacrifice it to the fate of series television.

The Soup, Part II: He was the hilarious guy in the drama department (but then, don't all of us drama geeks think we're hilarious?)

Liz Kelly: That you do!

Washington, D.C.: Re: The "Lost" subplot last night. I know it was a plot mostly for comedy relief, but didn't it seem a little off that world-class con man Sawyer needed guidance from Hurley on how to pretend to care about Claire and Aaron, and then proceeded to have all the awkwardness of a 15-year-old on a first date when talking to her?

Or at this point when we notice something like that are we just supposed to blame the island?

Liz Kelly: That darn island. Everyone put your hands on hips and shake your heads.

Speaking of Doogie Howser ...: What do you think about Out magazine "outing" Anderson Cooper and Jodie Foster? Not that we didn't suspect, but ...

Liz Kelly: I don't think it's a cool move, but I guess that's why I work for washingtonpost.com and not Life & Style weekly.

FWIW: I vote for movies that should never be remade and that includes "Adventures in Babysitting."

Liz Kelly: OH come on, there is so much room for improvement there.

Lost-ville: Did anyone else notice the Losties putting Dharma steak sauce on the roasted pige last night? As a vegetarian I thought that was weird, even if I was on a stranded island. ..

Liz Kelly: As a fellow vegetarian, I find it weird that the new-agey Dharmas weren't veggies themselves.

Pittsburgh, Pa.: "Movies that should never be (or shouldn't have ever been) remade."

I would have also voted for "The Poseidon Adventure." While watching Shelly Winters flounder around in an upside down boat in the early 70s was fun, the movie would seem (and was) way too ridiculous now.

Liz Kelly: Shelly Winters was so good at floundering in a boat. She did the same thing in "Pete's Dragon."
Okay, I'm out of here. I think we have our Friday List. See you there tomorrow and back here next Thursday at 2 p.m. ET.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Live Online discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity