Celebritology Live

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Liz Kelly
washingtonpost.com Celebrity Blogger
Thursday, April 19, 2007; 2:00 PM

When stars shave their heads, couch-jump, commit a fashion faux pas and commit random acts of tomfoolery, washingtonpost.com Celebritology blogger Liz Kelly shares the buzz, offers perspective and provides crucial links to juicy alternate news sources and, of course, takes your reaction in her daily blog.

Now join Liz each Thursday at 2 p.m. ET to gab about the latest celebrity pairings (and splittings), rising stars (and falling ones), "Lost," and get the scoop on the latest gossip making waves across the Web.

A transcript follows.

Before she started blogging about celebrities, Liz ran washingtonpost.com's Live Online section, where she enjoyed talking to really interesting people -- including some Post reporters -- on the phone. She produces both Carolyn Hax's advice discussion and Gene Weingarten's Chatological Humor*, which is currently on hiatus.

Liz Kelly: I know we don't normally talk "American Idol," but is anyone else having a hard time believing Sanjaya went from being one of the most popular Idols in competition to getting this week's lowest number of votes? Should faithful Sanjaya lovers demand a recount? Where's Katherine Harris when we need her? Now that he's gone, who is everyone rooting for? And was anyone else made physically ill by the Shrek/Jeffrey Katzenberg segment on last night's show? (I exempt Antonio Banderas from this, of course, because he's hot.)
Last night's "Lost" delivered the second stellar episode in as many weeks. One more and we'll have tic-tac-toe. We'll talk about the woman who fell to earth and much more in the last 15 minutes of the show.
Finally, I have a big surprise for all of you Gene fans out there who are only marking time here in Celebritology until his triumphant return to the chatosphere next Tuesday. Well, get your questions in early. Here, for the first time anywhere I give you the link to next week's chat. Oooh, ahhhh. And lest you worry that he doesn't have it in him anymore, I can report that he's already made himself a huge pain in my backside requesting extraneous links and generally behaving like a diva.
I've got my tea, my Newman-Os and my Amy Winehouse.
Let's get started...

Fergie: Was it me, or did she look substantially less mannish last night on A.I.? The song was horrible and she didn't sound good, but I looked at her and thought, "Hmmm. She's not as macho-looking as I remember."

Liz Kelly: Maybe it was the Edie Brickell-ish softer song. She may have looked less mannish, but she looks angry all the time. I'm not exactly the target demographic, but I just don't get it.
Could the boys out there please tell me if six-inch heels topped by a body-disfiguring balloon shirt is attractive? She looked like she was going to topple over at any second. I'm also confused as to the logic of having her take part in the country music-themed week. Poor Martina McBride.

Maryland: From a member of the Tribe (Class of '97) to a Hokie -- much sympathy and prayers for you, current students and alumni of VT.

Liz Kelly: Thanks much. I was class of '94 and probably no closer to this than you since I no longer know many people in Blacksburg. I think we all appreciate, though, the utter horror of what happened on Monday.
I haven't got anything to add that hasn't already been said except that it really makes you think -- about simpler times, an entire university of kids who just became adults in one week and what we're ultimately going to learn from this.

Daniel Craig: I haven't heard any gossip about Daniel Craig in forever. Is he still filming that sci-fi/fantasy movie with Nicole Kidman? Has he adopted any impoverished orphans? Or maybe entered rehab after being photographed going commando and shaving his head?

Liz Kelly: I believe filming of "The Golden Compass" is largely in the can and I can not wait for that movie to hit theaters in December. I predict it will be this year's LOTR. Watch out Harry Potter, Lyra's coming to town.
The book was a really neat read and I need to buckle down and read the second installment in the series.
As for Mr. Craig, he's currently filming the title role in "I, Lucifer" (he apparently shaved his head for the role) and has two other films (including the next Bond installment) on the bubble.

Washington, D.C.: Thank goodness for Celebritology! I think we could all use some frivolity right about now.

Does anyone else think that Prince William and Lindsay Lohan would make a great couple? That would so much fun to watch. Better still, make his dating life into a reality show!

Liz Kelly: Really? William and Lindsay? I dunno. I think Lindsay would make a better match for young master Harry.
Wills really needs a subtle, classy mate. I'm trying to think of one, but no one is coming to mind. Kate Winslet if she were a decade younger, fer sure.
Oh me -- I inadvertantly implied that Lindsay Lohan is neither subtle nor classy.

Liz Kelly: Just saw this story on the wires: Madonna has apparently told Malawian villagers to "help themselves" rather than rely on her. She must not have high hopes for that Kabbalah center she's funding in the country.

Sydney, Australia: We would love to see the Joshua Bell video performing at the railway station, but we can not find it, could you help?

Thank You.

Liz Kelly: Hey there, all the videos are linked here in the story.

Pittsburgh, Pa.: A followup to a question I posted earlier. Celebs seem to find it no problem to hawk products and participate in ad campaigns overseas, such a Japan, Germany, Spain, etc. They will appear in commercials and print ads for products, but these ads never appear on U.S. TV or in magazines here. What's up with that?

Liz Kelly: Good question. As with Bill Murray's fictional Santori campaign in "Lost in Translation," some megawatt stars make much bank hawking products overseas. Their management and publicists, though, are careful to keep those campaigns out of U.S. markets where their credibility (such as it is) as entertainers keep them in business.
Ads like this one featuring Arnold Shwartzenegger, for instance, are hard to square with his current job as governor of California.
Stars are increasingly doing domestic ads, though, too as discussed in this LA Times article from last month about Scarlett Johansson's recent spate of ad campaigns for everything from Disney to L'oreal to The Gap.

Chicago, Ill.: So -- is this blogging gig your full-time job now? With a little extra Hax on the side.

Just curious ...

Liz Kelly: Yep. I found that my other responsibilities really got in the way of tracking Paris Hilton's trajectory.
Seriously, though, yes, Celebritology is my full-time job though, as you mention, I still produce a few chats.

Uh, everything okay over there?: Sounds like you're having a Dharma Initiative moment.

Liz Kelly: Pay no attention to the Celebritologist behind the curtain.

HD: In 2009, Hi Def will be the law of the land. Considering how evident flaws such as bad skin, wrinkles and cellulite are in HD (greatly increasing my viewing pleasure), do you think there's going to be any big fallout from the new technology, especially in the careers of aging actresses trying to look younger?

Liz Kelly: Absolutely, but not surprisingly whole new techniques are now cropping up designed to mitigate the very honest picture hi def allows us to see -- air-brushed make-up, for one -- though an expert quoted in this article suggests that the best defense against hi def is a good skin care regime, healthy diet and exercise.

Fairfax, Va.: Liz, Liz. Need you mention your Newman-O's and send all of us searching frantically through our desk doors for leftover Easter chocolate?

Speaking of you, I have a question about you. Our own celebrity. I overheard some girls at my office teasingly calling a man who works here "Mr. Liz." He was also talking about how he makes his wife write down Sanjaya's phone number (alas, no longer, I s'pose) so he can vote for him even though he doesn't watch the show. Are there multiple Mr. Liz's in the world? I'm so confused!

Liz Kelly: Sounds like you've got the real deal on your hands.
And I'd just like to say for the record that Mr. Liz asked me to text him the Sanjaya hotline number because he was missing "Idol" due to band practice. I think you should go harass him about that right now.

Virginia: In the Ahnold link, it had another example with Nicolas Cage. The blurb underneath the video says:

"The Star: Nicolas Cage --- that is, the fidgety, comic Nick Cage we saw in "Face/Off," not the self-righteous artiste we saw in "Con Air."

Wha? Do people really think that anyone in the movie "Con Air" was attempting to be an artiste? The whole movie was poking fun at itself and the action genre. They were all over-the-top on purpose.

Liz Kelly: Ya, that's a mistaken characterization. Perhaps they meant "Leaving Las Vegas."
You know that whole thread from a few weeks ago about movies we hate to love? Well, add "Face/Off" to my list. So bad, yet I can't stop watching it.

Fergie: My mom knew who she was but my step dad was clueless. My mom explained who Fergie was by these simple words, "she wishes she was a princess(Duchess)."

Liz Kelly: True true.

Twin Peaks, America: Am I the only person who is excited to now own the second season of "Twin Peaks" on DVD. I don't watch "Lost" but I imagine the "Lost" fans would enjoy this show.

Liz Kelly: I'm with you on that. Why did it take so long? Now I have to go back and re-watch the season 1 DVDs again.

What's in that tea?: Not having one of those left-handed screwdrivers, are we?

Liz Kelly: Not today. I need to be on my toes. This is Earl Green.

Celebrities in overseas ads: I lived in Japan for a year, and absolutely loved seeing all the celebrities in ads for such random Japanese products ... Charlize Theron in a car commercial, Ewan McGregor in an English instruction school campaign (his face was on posters plastered all over the train station near where I worked). Such great entertainment! To see more of these ads, check out: Japander.com

Liz Kelly: Thanks!

Baltimore, Md.: Liz, I need words of encouragement, Sanjaya is gone. LaKisha giving him the long hug moved me. I have nothing else to look forward to on A.I. Help Me.

Liz Kelly: I hear you. I honestly don't think I'll continue watching now that Sanjaya is gone. I'm interested in who wins, but the spark is gone, dammit.
But hey, if William Hung had a second act, Sanjaya must have at least three or four coming his way.

because he was missing "Idol" due to band practice.: one time, at band camp.

Liz Kelly: Exactly.

Germantown, Md.: The Subtle Knife. Then, The Amber Spyglass. They are great! I read all three back in the fall. Well written, an compelling story in all. Please make the time to finish the series.

I also can't wait for the movie. New challenges for CGI.

Liz Kelly: Yep. I'm interested in seeing how they translate the relationship between the humans and their daemons (personal animals bonded to them for life) to the screen.

Celebritology is my full-time job : not to be nosy or anything, BUT, do you mean FULL time, as in takes up 40 plus hours a week and provides you with enough money to live on?

Liz Kelly: Wow, you're not nosy in exactly the same way my mother is not nosy.

Sanjaya: Here at work there are quite a few Sanjaya fans, "Fanjayas," if you will. I am NOT one of them. But everyone I asked said they didn't vote for him this week and they have voted in the past. They thought his performance was ridiculous. As one co-worker put it, "he was great when he was bad and entertaining. But bad and boring? There's no excuse for that." Have to say, I agree.

Liz Kelly: Interesting. Thanks for that insight, Fanjaya.

Fill me in: I didn't watch A.I., so what was the Shrek/Katzenberg thing about? Oddly enough, I was watching "Shrek" last night (at the kid's request).

Liz Kelly: It was a big in-show promo for "Shrek the Third." The contestants visit the animation studio, watch a cut of the movie and gladhand with Jeffrey Katzenberg.

"Lost" question from Sarasota, Fla.: I know you save "Lost" questions til the end, but I have to ask -- I love, love, love Hurley but do Hurley's facial hair and mutton chops creep you out like it creeps me out?

Liz Kelly: Yes -- and this doesn't really count as a "Lost" question since you're technically asking about the actor who plays Hurley, Jorge Garcia.
He is a great character and seems like a likeable guy in real life, but something must be done about his hair. Not to mention the fact that he still hasn't shown any signs of losing weight in his months on the island.

Alexandria, Va.: Until Mr. Smarty-Pants returns next week, thought you might want to post these articles, which seem to reflect a growing worldwide obsession with all things related to turlets -- particularly those that flood, or, more spectacularly, catch on fire...

'High-speed damage' to train loos:

'High-speed damage' to train loos (BBC, April 17)

Free repairs to flammable toilets:

Free repairs to flammable toilets (BBC, April 16)

Liz Kelly: Why thank you. I'll bring these to the attention of himself, too, who is no doubt cramming his head with this sort of information now in order to be ready for Tuesday.

Poll-ish question: You should ask us a musical-celebrity opinion poll question, and for categories use "I feel that Liz is usually right" and "I feel that Gene is usually right".

Friday you could solicit potential questions.

Liz Kelly: That might work for Gene's chat. Not sure he'd want to be confronted with the cold, hard truth of my musical superiority, though.

New York, N.Y.: I love Earl Green. What a great concept, huh? Sorry, nothing real to say today.

Liz Kelly: Ya, me either.
I kid.
So, for Friday List I was thinking of something uplifting, like a list of best movies to watch to lift one's mood. Any ideas?

Fairfax, Va.: Chats may not have threads -- but onions and parfaits, like ogres, have layers.

Liz Kelly: Wait, ogres have layers?
And this is a clear violation of the DMZ between my chat and Gene's. Get thee back on the other side.

Currently reading "The Golden Compass": How the heck do you pronounce this word: "daemons"? I keep thinking of little Matt Damons attached to the humans. It is weird.

Liz Kelly: HAHAHA! I just had a great visual on that.
I pronounce it as Day-mon, but every time I read it I am reminded of the annoying mailer-daemon who bounces e-mails back from friends accounts from time to time.

Forget Sanjaya: When does his sister pose in "Maxim" or "Playboy"?

Liz Kelly: Based on the pics of her floating around the Internet in her all-together and a Hooters uniform, I would say soon.
I would bet real money that's she's already been approached by both.

Re: Moved to tears: Am I deranged that I found Blake carefully wiping away LaKisha's tears strangely hot?

Liz Kelly: Yes, you are a little confused. I can see finding it "touching," "evidence of the spirit of humanity" or some other benign feeling -- but a turn on?

Fred: Hurley looks like he's even 'gaining' weight. Maybe he's eating the people on the island.

Liz Kelly: Agreed. Or maybe he's found a secret stash of Dharma Ho-hos.

New York, N.Y.: Movies I hate to love. Or love to hate?:

"The Beach." It's on HBO all the time, and I keep watching it. It's just ghastly. You have Ewan and Scarlett together in a movie, but (as clones) were created without any sexual urges. What's the point then?

Liz Kelly: Wait, you mean "The Island?" Wasn't "The Beach" the Leo DiCaprio movie set in Thailand?

Falls Church, Va.: Veronica Mars is getting canceled. I am so so very sad.

Liz Kelly: I feel for you, though I'm not a regular watcher. I know, I know... I need to add to my Netflix list.

Yawn: Who is this Gene of which you speak?

I have a vague memory ... kind of surly guy, cheesy 70s 'stache?

Oh, wait, that was the Marlboro Man.

Liz Kelly: Or maybe Ron Jeremy?
See intro for link to next week's return chat and consider how lucky we are to have him back. I was trying to think of an equivalent -- is this akin to the return of The Grateful Dead or more like Newhart's return to sitcom TV in the '80s?

Uplifting movie: Project-X

Liz Kelly: okay...

Washington, D.C.: What celebs are expected at the White House Correspondents Dinner?

Liz Kelly: The only news I've seen on this so far is that the skedded headliner is Rich Little.
Apparently it's the Reagan era again.

Arlington, Va.: It seems like 'all' of the Losties should have dropped quite a few pounds by now, and should be looking a bit on the ragged side. So how come the only character anyone complains about is Hurley?

Liz Kelly: He's not -- unfortunately he's just the most obvious example. I think I've noted in past analyses the incongruity of both Sun and Claire's hair growing about six inches in the course of a few months, among other oddities.

Washington, D.C.: So ... what is your take on the real reason for the Prince William-Kate breakup? Is it really about how common her mother is?

Liz Kelly: I saw that report, too, and I kind of doubt it. The story is that Kate's mom is only a lowly flight attendant and apparently incorrectly addressed the Queen without using the word "ma'am" and that just didn't fly with the royals. This just smacks of being a manufactured story and one that reportedly has Kate's mom incredibly upset.

Re: moved to tears: Since when are sensitive males not hot?

Liz Kelly: Wait -- he didn't say he was moved to tears, he said the tears made him hot. There's a difference!

Escape from Noo Yawk: Any more news about the upcoming remake? I'm disgusted about this -- some things should just be left alone.

Liz Kelly: I haven't heard anything, but definitely have my RSS reader on the lookout.

New York City: Is the White House Correspondents Dinner the same thing as the Gridiron Club? I remember interning in D.C. newsrooms in college and it was always called the Gridiron Club. Or is this something else?

Liz Kelly: Two different events. D.C. is full of them. I hope I get to go this year. I have an urge to wear a pretty dress.

Alexandria, Va.: Ron Jeremy has an autobiography out!

Liz Kelly: Oooh! I smell a Celebritology interview.
Maybe smell is the wrong word to use here.

Uplifting movie ... and not just a Christmas:: "Love Actually."

Liz Kelly: yep.

What's up with that?: When did this "Leo" DiCaprio thing happen? Al Gore calls him Leo at the Oscars and suddenly he's no longer Leonardo?

Liz Kelly: Dude, he's always been called Leo. It was very common around the tine "Titanic" was released.

Liz Kelly: OK, let's talk Lost.
SPOILERS AHEAD!

Lost-ville: Did anyone notice who was in the picture on the head monk's (Monk Chief?) desk? My co worker said it was the engagement ring sales lady from Desmond's flash-forward ... Creepy!

Liz Kelly: It was Mrs. Hawking, one of the featured characters in Desmond's last flashback.

New York, N.Y.: Yeah, yeah, the Island, not the beach.

I can't even remember if "The Beach" was good or not. Was it?

Liz Kelly: Enh. About as good as "The Island."

Washington, D.C.: Will Sanjaya be the next Bachelor?

Liz Kelly: Now here's a guy who should be in TV development.

Toronto, Ontario: Re: the Ms. Hawking photo. Obviously this is some reference to a yoda-type figure in each of Desmond's flashbacks symbolizing the battle between destiny and faith, but I'm just to intellectually lazy (which is why I watch TV) to figure out what the connection is? Any thoughts on why she was in the 'head' monks photo?

Liz Kelly: I think it was just another reminder to us that nothing on this show is random. And that even at that stage in the continuum of Desmond's life he was destined to come into contact with her.

Germantown, Md.: "Lost" peace found. -- All season I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure things out. "What's the smoke monster?" "Are they in a time flux?" "Where's Rose ... blah, blah. Well, last week I finally gave up all that nonsense and just watched the show. I must admit that the last two episodes were much more enjoyable for it.

Liz Kelly: I don't want to burst your revelatory bubble, but the last two episodes were damn good episodes and that maybe why they were more enjoyable.

For the love of GAWD!: Can we get rid o' Charlie already? Do you know how happy I was when I saw that thing hit him in the throat cause I thought finally, I am shunt of him and then they crushed that dream. Dee, Charlie, DIEEEEEEEEEE.

Liz Kelly: Yes. Agreed.
Tho my co-"Lost" analyzer Jen did coin an interesting and relevant phrase in today's analysis having to do with Charlie: "Save the hobbit, save the world." The entire Lost cosmology could hinge on Charlie.

New York: Liz Dude!

What do you think of Simon claiming he deserves five times what Springsteen earns? This is his quote off the BBC site:

"In the last five years I've sold over 100m records. If he got $100m, I should have got $500m," Cowell added.

Liz Kelly: I think Simon's statement was probably pretty factual and, if taken in context, I believe the interviewer asked him if he was more profitable for the record company than Springsteen and Cowell answered the question to the best of his ability, citing his involvement with several musical acts that, taken together, add up to more sales than the Boss.
I can not believe I am defending Simon Cowell.

Silver Spring, Md.: Sanjaya fell so quickly because his performance was bad and boring, his hair wasn't cute, Phil did a really good job, and the joke just got old.

Liz Kelly: But now we are left with nothing. No hope of anything unscripted happening. Am I wrong?

Alexandria, Va.: Rich Little? Ugh, more like Nixon era than Reagan. I used to think he was really funny back in the day, but then again, I was only 7 years old.

Liz Kelly: I know -- this seems like an over-reaction to last year's Stephen Colbert performance.

Port of Spain, Trinidad: Also, Liz, re: William and Kate. I think they are still in love and will get married eventually, but are pretending to break up to give her a break from the paparazzi. One thing's for sure, I hope Will's dad isn't giving him any woman advice. What do you think?

Liz Kelly: I think that's an interesting theory, Trinidad. Time will tell.
Nice to see you here again this week, by the way.

Falls Church, Va.: Enough about Hurley's weight! First, in "Lost" time, they've only been on the island for a couple of months, which is not enough time to see massive changes on anybody. Second, this is one of my unending pet peeves about the media's portrayal of obesity (see Friends, the movie America's Sweethearts and any other of show where a poor non-skinny personal makes an occasional sad, sad appearance): shows that make the assumption that fat people have to constantly eat massive quantities to maintain their weight. That may be true for some, but many just eat normally -- though with perhaps slightly larger portions, or more of the "wrong" foods. We're not walking around gorging all day.

Third, come on, it's a TV show. Do you expect to see any of the other actors starve themselves, becoming emaciated to look more "island-appropriate"?

Apologies for the preachiness. It's a major peeve.

Liz Kelly: Just putting this out there, though I do still think we would have seen some change in Hurley's weight by this point. Even the massive cache of Dharma food they found is no competition for Mr. Cluck's Chicken Shack.

Capitol Hill: My wifey Nia, celebrity-obsessed, can't make the chat so here it goes: Is that guy on Drive on Fox the same guy on Firefly and Serenity, and, by the way, will there be a Serenity 2?

Liz Kelly: Yes, Nathan Fillion, who coincidentally turned up in an episode of "Lost" earlier this season.

Uplifting movies -- sports themed: Rudy

Miracle

Major League (The Indians Win It! OH MY GOD, The Indians Win It!)

Liz Kelly: Thanks!

"I have an urge to wear a pretty dress.": Well ... Gene's back next week. I'm sure that's worth dressing up for.

Liz Kelly: You obviously haven't sat in on many of his chats.

Bethesda, Md.: I posted this in the blog, so you decide if it bears repeating. Penelope (Penny) is the wife of Odysseus, Western literature's original "Lost" figure, who must endure a series of trials as he attempts to find his way home. Suggests to me that Desmond's attempts to sort out his "gift" and fashion or re- fashion the future are central to figuring out what "Lost" is all about.

Liz Kelly: Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Bored at work: Have you read the EW Jeff Jensen column yet? Interesting theory on the whole Biblical take w/Ruth & Naomi & the Book of Judges.

Brotherly Love (EW.com)

Liz Kelly: Yep, and thanks for sharing.

Mrs. Hawking: is in league with the monk. They apparently run Desmond's life; that's why the monk (1) was the guy who "convinced" Desmond not to marry bachelorette #1 and (2) put Desmond in the situation to be introduced to Penny. Everybody is in cahoots with the Others!

Liz Kelly: I have nothing to add, except to say that "cahoots" is one of my favorite words.

Re: moved to tears: No, SHE said that watching Blake wipe LaKisha's tears was hot. Blake is the hot one in the scenario. Sensitive and hot!

Liz Kelly: Okay, now I'm confused. I must dash off and start draining some tofu for tonight's dinner. (It balances out the mid-afternoon Newman-Os).
Till Gene's Tuesday chat... Hopefully I'll recover from that in time to do this again next Thursday.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Live Online discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity