What's Cooking With Kim O'Donnel

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Kim O'Donnel
Special to washingtonpost.com
Tuesday, August 7, 2007; 12:00 PM

Calling all foodies! Join us Tuesdays at noon for What's Cooking, our live online culinary hour with Kim O'Donnel.

A graduate of the Institute of Culinary Education (formerly known as Peter Kump's New York Cooking School), Kim spends much of her time in front of the stove or with her nose in a cookbook.

For daily dispatches from Kim's kitchen, check out her blog, A Mighty Appetite. You may catch up on previous transcripts with the What's Cooking archive page.

Kim O'Donnel: Today is one of those days that feels like the oven door is wide open and someone forgot to turn the darned thing off. Whew, it's HOT. Even this queen of summer is having temperature issues. Right now, I'm lapping up a bowl of vanilla yogurt with some local blackberries from Arlington Courthouse farm market, and that seems to be distracting me. Speaking of farm markets, it's National Farmers Market Week, and in yesterday's blog space, the topic was about how far 20 bucks gets you at the farm market. Chime in if you keep track while you do your shopping. The reports are from both near and far, and they're quite interesting. And at some point in the hour, my kind editor will publish today's topic: What would you want for your last supper? So, let's cool off together and consider our mortality and the value of our farm market purchases. Lemme hear from y'all...

Washington, D.C.: Hi Kim! I made my first attempt to cook beet greens last night and I don't think they're quite right. I sauted with garlic and other veggies, but while the greens are nice and wilted the stalks are still crunchy and hard to eat. Should I remove the stalk next time or is there a trick to getting everything cooked at the same time?

Kim O'Donnel: Many hearty greens (collards, kale, even chard) do have a stalk that tends to stay fibrous, unless you cook them for a long time. Next time, I'd remove stalk and you'll be happy.

West End, Alexandria, Va.: I just wanted to alert all to a new farmers market on the West End of Alexandria -- in the parking lot of Ben Brenman park, at the end of Cameron Station. It's on Sundays from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. It's only been on for two weeks so far. The first week there wasn't a whole lot of selection, and I spent over my $20 budget at Columbia Pike Market so I didn't get back this past Sunday. But hoping people will come out and the market will thrive.

Kim O'Donnel: This is great news -- we need to add this to the list in yesterday's blog, as I mentioned a few other additions to the Washington lineup: Bloomingdale, at First and R Streets, NW; 14th and U Streets NW on Saturdays; and Fair Lakes, Va. in the Whole Foods parking lot. Who's putting the market on, by chance?

Washington, D.C.: Hi Kim, do you or any of the chatters know if anyone sells fresh banana leaves in the D.C. metro area? Thanks!

Kim O'Donnel: I would try ethnic groceries -- Asian, Latino or Caribbean. Banana leaves figure into the cuisines from lands far away, and because we're a hub of cultures, we've got great selection of ingredients catering to a cosmopolitan population. And let's ask readers when last they saw banana leaves in a shop -- so that we can direct you pronto.

Bethesda Mom: Hey Kim:

I'm posting early cause I'll be on vacation when you chat --yeah!

I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion of serving gazpacho for the brunch I had a week ago with a vegan guest.

(I'd already planned out a menu that was not vegan-friendly when I heard she was coming).

I found a great recipe in Bon Appetit for grilled vegetable gazpacho, which I doctored up my own way, and it was a real hit with all my guests. Here's my version:

For 8-12 people

5 lbs fresh, farm-stand tomatoes, ripe but not mushy.

2 red peppers

1 vidalia onion plus 1/2 red onion, both sliced horizontally, skin left on

1 cucumber, peeled and seeded

3 cloves garlic

whole grain bread (for croutons)

1 tsp hot paprika

juice of 1-2 limes

dried mint, or fresh

salt and pepper

lots of olive oil

1. oil whole tomatoes, red peppers and onion halves, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and put on medium grill. Grill until charred, keeping careful eye on tomatoes which will burst and take less time than the peppers, which will take less time than the onions.

2. peel tomatoes, peppers and onions. Cut into chunks, seeding tomatoes if desired. Put in food processor along with chunked cucumber, 2 cloves of garlic put through press, at least 1 tbsp of oil, and process in at least 2 batches.

3. Juice limes, and put judiciously into gazpacho mixture (it should not be too astringent). Put in paprika, and salt & pepper to taste. Refrigerate, ideally overnight.

4. Cut bread into 1/2 inch think slices, brush with olive oil, and put on grill until toasted. Cut remaining garlic clove in half length-wise, and rub over bread. Cut into cubes and reserve.

4. Let soup sit overnight. The next day, crumble in dried mint (I didn't have fresh), or use some sprigs of fresh mint as garnish. Taste & adjust salt and pepper. I thought mine tasted a mite flat, so I put in 2 tsp. of white balsamic vinegar, but you could use more lime juice, or cider vinegar too.

Put 1-2 croutons in bowl, and serve soup with garnishes of additional croutons, chopped scallions, additional chopped, peeled & seeded cucumber, and sour cream or non-fat Greek-style yogurt.

This was a bit hit with the carnivores as well as the vegan (who, of course, did not use the sour cream).

Thanks for the suggestion!

Kim O'Donnel: This is great. Thanks for following up but also sharing the recipe, which sounds like a goodie for tonight's supper...

Peachberry dessert!: Hi Kim,

I have some peaches, I have some blackberries, not enough to make two whole somethings (because I kept eating them, oops!). So I'm going to throw them all together, try that cobbler top and enjoy the deliciousness. Quick Q- peaches, skin on or off?

Thanks!

Kim O'Donnel: Hmm...probably would peel the peaches. The skin sometimes gets in the way. Enjoy!

Washington, D.C.: Do you like fried green tomatoes? Do you have a recipe?

Kim O'Donnel: You're in luck: I wrote about fried green tomatoes last week, complete with a recipe. And yes, I love'em...been thinking of making more ever since the first batch.

Chicago, Ill.: Kim,

I have a huge crop of tomatoes that are due to become ripe right about the time I leave for vacation. Before I go, I'd love to pick some of them early and try fried green tomatoes from your blog. But how do I know when they are the "right" green? I don't want to pick them too early. Should I wait until they are just starting to turn red, or is there some other way to know?

Kim O'Donnel: Pick'em now, before they start turning red. They'll be hard but fully shaped, just unripe.

Woodley Park, Washington, D.C.: Hi Kim,

I picked approximately 20 small banana peppers (some are hot and some are sweet) from my garden this weekend. They are approximately 3 inches long. Can I stuff them? Would they be good with ricotta cheese and spices, or is an Italian sausage mixture a better option?

Any ideas are appreciated, as more are on the way!

Kim O'Donnel: Hmm. I'm a little concerned that banana peppers would be a wee bit narrow for stuffing, but shucks it's worth exploring with that many peppers on hand. I'd do a cheesy mixture, and would prob. add a little bit of bread crumbs as well.

Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.: I heard a story recently on NPR about how the explosion of farmers markets is a bad thing for the producers. The story said that because of the increase producers/sellers were now driving a lot more to get to the markets and thus using more gas and putting more pollution into the air which in turn could drive up prices. What do you think about this? Is there that much difference in goods at the markets around D.C. or is it more about convienient location for people.

Kim O'Donnel: I think that there's a big difference between 100 or 200 miles of extra driving for a local farmer to do an additional market versus 5,000 miles worth of fuel in a refrigerated 18-wheeler that makes agri-business deliveries over the course of a week. I think that farmers are thrilled to be busy and doing well enough to justify doing another market. The burden is more the expense of one's time, lack of sleep, finding staff to man another market and less about putting more gas into the tank.

Lactic last supper: As long as I knew I'd drop dead within half an hour: A giant mound of macaroni and cheese, loaded with creamy garlicky cheesy gooshy goodness. And cut-up hot dogs. Since a lactose-intolerant-induced irritable bowel attack is truly a fate worse than death, I'd finally be able to dig in full gusto ...

Kim O'Donnel: Wow. The things we love often are the things that kill...

Laurie Colwin's "Home Cooking" and "More Home Cooking": Hi, Kim, just spent the weekend rereading Laurie Colwin's 'Home Cooking' and 'More Home Cooking,' and wishing she hadn't left us so early -- have you read her books? She was very much a cook of instinct, and I enjoyed reading her book for much the same reasons I enjoy reading your chats -- and wanted to recommend her books to any of the participants here who haven't read her. I don't always agree with her (say, on the need for chocolate desserts), but I always come away refreshed and re-convinced of the joy that good food and the company you keep while enjoying good food (including one's own company) can bring to everyone's life.

Kim O'Donnel: Thanks for bringing up Colwin. Her premature departure from this world was felt by many. I haven't read her in a while; may it's time for a revisit.

Bethesda, Md.: Kim, how is the farmer's market in Bethesda?

Kim O'Donnel: I rarely get up that way. Let's ask others in that neck of the woods...

Sweltering D.C.: Oh boy it sure is hot! I have a poultry question. Giant has boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale. When I looked at the package the sodium content is listed. However, when looking at a package of the same kind of poultry at Whole Foods there is no listing of sodium or anything else on the chicken except for the price and description. I know that I read somewhere that chicken is sometimes injected with a salt solution for taste. Is it that Whole Foods does not do this but Perdue does?

Kim O'Donnel: The WF chicken usually comes from Bell &Evans, a producer in Pennsylvania. curious about your sale chicken: -- was it flavored by any chance? and what was on label? Did it mention that it was salted? I do not like the sounds of that. Very unfair, particularly for people who can't read or can't see and have sodium issues.

Washington, D.C.: Kim,

Last week I wrote to you about a gift card to Williams-Sonoma. The amount was $200 so I decided to splurge and buy a Wusthof Culinar 7" santoku and a new cutting block. I was a little nervous about spending that much on a knife but I must say I don't know how I ever lived with out it. I love it!

Kim O'Donnel: Oh, I'm glad you followed up...and delighted that you're loving your new knife. Did you buy a sharpening steel to go with?

Just a crock?: I know, this might get me banned from foodie circles everywhere, but I like my crock pot, dang it! However, I haven't been very adventurous in using it -- mainly I use it for getting a head start on pot roast and for rice sometimes. Anyone willing to come out of the crock pot closet and offer up some creative recipes?

Kim O'Donnel: You are not alone. There's a whole community of crock potters and they're dying to talk to you, dear. Let this be a call to all crockers!!

Triangle, Va.: What is the best way to prepare a corn and black bean dish? I'm thinking a salsa or salad. Main course will be your grilled Vietnamese chicken (skewered breast chunks). I thought maybe heating some olive oil, adding garlic and some herbs/spices and drizzling it over the corn and beans.

Kim O'Donnel: Cumin and coriander are great with corn and black beans...and I like the addition of some chopped cilantro, sun gold tomatoes, a little red onion or shallot and a squeeze of lime. Ah yes, and the heat of some cayenne or fresh chiles. Are you using a can of black beans? If so, you could cook onion in oil, with spices, then add black beans.

Oak Park, Ill.: Hi Kim, It's your buddy Nan ... I picked up some beets at the market, what can I do with them? I've heard of the great health benefits of beets ... I'm just at a loss when it comes to cooking them.

Kim O'Donnel: NAN. I hate beets. And girl I've tried. Most beet lovers like'em roasted in a 400 oven, with olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs, plus some quartered onions and even some carrots or potatoes. Other folks like them roasted, sliced and served with goat cheese and walnuts. What say ye, beet lovers? Help out my pal Nan.

A fresh-OJ Q: Hi, Kimba! (Guess who this is.) Can you help me understand my orange juice better? I used to think I hated it until I discovered fresh-squeezed. Really fresh, not the fresh in the jugs at Whole Foods and not even the fanciest of the in-the-carton brands. Any idea why this is, or if the difference I perceive in the taste might also reflect a difference in nutritional value? I'm resigned to juicing my own (or moving back to California where fresh means fresh) but am wondering if there's any basis for my fetish, er, preference. Thanks!

Kim O'Donnel: Wow, it's the day of resurfacing friends. Hi MARGE. Now that you've had the experience of freshly squeezed oranges, you will likely never go back. What happens with the stuff in the stores that's labelled as fresh is that the stuff starts to separate. Fresh fruit should be slurped up almost as soon as it's squeezed or pureed; it's highly perishable which is why the carton stuff is highly pasteurized. I think it's time to ask the beau for a proper juicer -- and explore the beauty of other freshly pressed juices, like pineapple, apples and pears (in fall), carrots...

Black beans & corn: A little apple cider vinegar along with the cumin adds a great zing to corn and black beans!

Kim O'Donnel: Excellent. Thanks for adding to the bean thread...

Sweltering, D.C.: No, the chicken was not flavored but plain, raw Perdue boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Yes, it is very scarey because most people do not look at chicken labels on the back of the package listing the ingredients like sodium -- who would think to look for sodium content in raw chicken? Unfortunately I will stick with the Whole Foods brand at a much higher price (sigh). A search of the Web turns up a lot about chicken injected with sodium and truth in labeling.

Kim O'Donnel: That is bothersome and perhaps worth a letter to the USDA about proper labeling.

Evergreen, Colo.: Hi Kim -- we have a fantastic "problem" to deal with. Tons of excellent organic colorado peaches from our fruit share and 4 melons. The muskmelons taste like eastern shore cantaloupe, which is fantastic. We also have watermelons. There are two of us, and the next food pick-up is tomorrow. Ideas for all of the fruit? Is it possible to freeze peaches after a quick blanche?

Kim O'Donnel: Any chance you can procure some popsicle molds? I made divine popsicles with watermelon recently and they've been keeping me cool.

Watermelon is also wonderful in a salad, with cucumbers, basil, a little red onion, lime and feta if that sounds good. I love pureeing muskmelon and making a cold soup, seasoned with lime, cayenne and a bit of yogurt for body. And if you're game, what about cobbler for those peaches?

New England: I use my crockpot to slow cook country style pork ribs. So easy and yummy. You can literally put the ribs in and add a bottle of bbq sauce and let it cook. By the time I am ready to serve dinner, about 1/2 has been picked at by everyone who walks by.

Kim, I'm with you on the beets. I grew up in a family where my mom was determined to make the ultimate beet. She was a great cook, but usually burned the beets. I think they just tast like dirt.

Kim O'Donnel: Here's the first of the crocker outers...

Bethesda farmer's market: If you're asking about the Bethesda Women's Farm Market on Wednesdays, I sometimes go there if I absolutely NEED a tomato in the middle of the week, but on the whole it's not so hot as a farmer's market. Better as a flea market, really. There are only two vendors selling produce and I don't think either is organic. There's also overpriced fancy cheese, caramels, and tea. I do like the Chinese food place, and there are a couple of other vendors selling prepared food that looks pretty good.

Kim O'Donnel: here's a report on the Wednesday market in Bethesda...

New York: Has anyone tried to compute how many calories $20 buys you at the farmers markets?

Kim O'Donnel: Interesting point, New York. I put an extra 20 on the argument that $20 at the supermarket will get you calories for weeks, which is why it's so appealing. Cheap calories. But unfortunately corn syrup and hydrogenated fat makes us big boys and girls.

Fran: Beets: A not too sweet sweet and sour. Cook the beets, peel and cube them. Boil together briefly water, a bit of sugar, a bit of white vinegar, a dash of salt and pour over the cubed beets. Do this to your taste. Handy to have around and lasts a while in the fridge.

Kim O'Donnel: thanks, Fran. Another beet idea to the mix. Hope you're still online, Nan.

Steubenville, Ohio: For the pepper stuffer:

Take the stem off the pepper and split it down the side. Stuff with whatever you like.

Around here it is usually sweet or hot sausage or a meatball mixture. Press the pepper back into shape as best can be accomplished, place in oiled baking dish, top with spaghetti sauce or the tomato sauce of your choice and bake. When about done, sprinkle a melty-type of cheese or parmesan over the top and bake a few minutes until it is melted. They are delicious with a crusty bread.

Kim O'Donnel: Steubenville to the rescue for stuffed banana peppers...

Beetsville, MD: I love beets any way at all. My favorite way to eat them is in Russian salad: cooked (cut off top, boil with skin on, then cool and peel), diced, and mixed with cooked diced potatoes, peas, chives, and a dressing of half-yogurt and half-mayonnaise with plenty of lemon juice. Borscht is also amazingly yummy. But if you don't want to heat up the stove in this nasty hot weather, they're also good raw, peeled, then grated, and tossed with a simple vinaigrette with chives or scallions in it.

Yum! I wish I had some beets right now.

Kim O'Donnel: More on the world of beets....

Mt Pleasant, Washington, D.C.: Here is one for today that I learned in Israel:

Watermelon

Fresh mint

Ice

Put 6-10 ice cubes in a blender and fill the rest up with chunks of watermelon and a handful of fresh mint and blend.

Delicious.

Kim O'Donnel: I love pureeing watermelon and letting it go down the hatch! Thanks for sharing, dear.

Arlington, Va.: Hi Kim! What are your favorite go-to summer dinners for when you don't have more than 30 minutes or so to prepare? And second, can you throw out some suggestions for lunches to bring to work? If I have one more Lean Cuisine I'm gonna hurl ...

Kim O'Donnel: This very topic was a reality in my own kitchen just a few weeks ago, which inspired a blog post called When Pantry Comes to the Rescue. I had just 30 minutes; read what I came up with.

Cool lunch: My lunch today is a cold green bean salad. Last night I steamed some green beans and made 2 hard-boiled eggs. Put it all in the fridge overnight. Today for lunch, I chopped up the eggs and tossed with the beans, a bit of safflower oil, and some salt and pepper. Surprisingly good, and cool on this horribly hot day.

I was getting tired of the same old salads, and this was so easy.

Kim O'Donnel: Here's a good idea for folks looking for a change of pace for portable lunches...

Washington, D.C.: Hi Kim -- I know you've provided this resource before ... but is there a Web site that lists CSAs throughout the country? My parents in South Florida are interested, but I'm not sure what's available. Thanks!

Kim O'Donnel: I would go to localharvest.org, where you can search by state for CSAs. Cheers.

Bethesda farmers' market: I often go there on Saturday because it's a short walk from home. There are three producers, sometimes four, selling produce, which is generally okay. It is worth asking where things come from -- sometimes the produce is not locally grown, and they will tell you. There are two producers selling chicken (whole), eggs (free range and pretty good), and bacon (very good), as well as honey and jam. I would say it's not worth a drive for the produce alone, although the flea market is good, but if you live in the area, it's not bad.

Kim O'Donnel: And here's a report on the Bethesda market on Saturday.

Ft. Myers, Fla.: Kim,

Where does one find a brick for cooking (I'm thinking of your flattened grilled chicken recipe from your visit to Key West)?

Thanks

Kim O'Donnel: I'd probably hit up Home Depot. You'll place brick on top of a skillet, so brick acts as weight, so no need to worry about contamination, etc.

Crockpotter: I highly recommend Rick Rodgers' "Slow Cooking Ready and Waiting" cookbook. There is some precooking required, but he uses the crockpot more as a tool for slow cooking than dumping everything in.

Kim O'Donnel: Excellent, thank you. The crockpotters are slowly emerging, like a good stew...

RTP, NC (Crock Pot Mama): The crock pot is great for fixing meat for Mexican dishes. Put in boneless chicken, pork or beef with herbs, spices, a little water or broth and come home from work to shred the tender meat with two forks. Great for tacos, burritos, enchiladas.

Kim O'Donnel: And more...

Re: last supper: Ha! I was thinking the same thing about my last supper. I'm allergic to wheat and have trouble with potatoes, so I'd have pizza, bread fresh from the oven, a chocolate glazed donut, a bagel with cream cheese, and a huge side of greasy french fries. Yum.

Kim O'Donnel: Thanks for sharing. P.S.: In tomorrow's Food section, I have a story about celiac disease, which makes eating gluten a painful, debilitating experience, with some gluten-free recipes to try.

Last supper: Mine would be roast beef and Yorkshire pudding with homemade gravy and mashed potatoes. Good home cooking (when mom's ancesters are all English). Or, conversely, some kind of fabulous surf and turf that involved lobster, steamers and a filet mignon. If I'm going out, I'm going out in style.

Kim O'Donnel: YES!

Frozen peaches: You don't even need to blanch them, if you can get the peels off raw. Just peel, slice, and freeze in a plastic bag or tupperware. If you're going to keep them for a long time, make a light syrup to pour into the air gaps to prevent freezer burn.

Kim O'Donnel: Thanks for the freezing tips!

30 minutes: Orzo

Sauteed garlic, onion, corn, zucchini, cherry/grape tomatoes (multiple colors!)

Toss it all together w/ the zest and juice of 1 lemon, add salt, pepper, etc.

Add some fresh basil and grated parmesan, and pine nuts just before serving.

It's good at any temperature, and lots of other veggies would work just as well.

(cannelini or garbanzos too!)

Kim O'Donnel: Another goodie. Was just thinking bout whipping up some orzo and zucchini myself...

Lima, Ohio: Hi Kim-

I'm hosting game night at my house next week and am looking for a good side dish. I'm serving chicken caesar club sandwiches (on ciabatta with pancetta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes, sauce of anchovy paste/dijon/lemon, etc.), as well as a salad presented in "cheese crisps" (melted parmesan cooled to hold a serving of salad). Between the sandwich and the salad I have a lot of veggies going on. What's another side I could do? Open to anything. Feeding 12-14 women. Thanks, Kim! I love your chats!

Kim O'Donnel: Do some fruit. Hunks of melon or a salad of beautiful berries. With the bread, you've already got plenty of starch, but one other idea would be to do a potato salad in a dijon vinaigrette...

IndyGirl with "Indian" beet recipe: Dice raw beets. Heat up canola oil and add the following spices: black mustard, cumin, (whole seeds better) dried red peppers, add curry leaves (if you have them), fry for 1-2 min until the mustard pops, then add beets and saute. Can eat with naan, chapati, or rice. Probably even tortillas or another flat bread.

Kim O'Donnel: Aha! Very nice indeed. Even I may like this.

Green beans runneth over: Hi Kim,

I picked up some awesome green beans at the New Market farm stand. Now, I need to figure out what to do with them. They are really fresh and I want to use them quickly.

What suggestions do you and the chatters have for fixing them up without heating up the kitchen. I am looking for something that has a little zip but not spicy and that might incorporate some of the sweet tomatoes from my garden.

I have a bumper crop of basil and would like to do something with that besides pesto. Suggestions welcome!

One final thought. Frequently chatters are searching for cooking tools while on a budget. There is a chat / web list, FreeCycle.com similar to a Craig's list but really hones in on a particular locale based on your parameters. I frequently see offers and requests for things like blenders, cookware, food processors, coffee and espresso makers. The nice thing about Freecycle is that everything offered must be at no charge to the taker.

Thanks for the great chats and happy cooking!

Kim O'Donnel: I love to quickly steam or boil beans, drain them, then throw them into a skillet, with olive oil and let them brown a bit, mixing in walnuts. At end, I might do basil or yes, that pesto! Some chopped baby tomatoes, yes...you've got all the fixins dear.

Banana leaves: Depending on where the person is coming from, one convenient source (if not as fun or inexpensive as the ethnic markets) is the Whole Foods in Alexandria near the King Street Metro.

Kim O'Donnel: Here's one banana leaf source...

Hyattsville, Md.: Tried your chocolate zucchini cake with olive oil last night. Just wanted to report that it turned out great and was very tasty. I liked the complex flavor from the olive oil and the fact it wasn't too sweet. My toddler enjoyed it as well, and I laughed to myself thinking about all the zucchini he was eating!

Kim O'Donnel: Really glad you enjoyed it, Hyattsville. Isn't it a kick when you can get those veggies into dessert?

Chicken dilemma: Isn't it possible that the chicken naturally has some sodium in it? I mean, I haven't been flavor injected, but I have some salt in me, too.

Kim O'Donnel: I would need to ask a farmer that question before answering. I will ask a reliable source and get back to you by next time.

Mac and cheese jones: So I was thinking of making mac 'n cheese (the previous poster's last meal put the idea in my head). Could I assemble the casserole ahead of time (noodles, bechamel sauce, cheese, etc.) and bake it the following evening? Basically, it would be sitting in my fridge for a day and I would finish it off in the oven after I came home from work. Any thoughts?

Kim O'Donnel: Yes, it would be fine. What I might do, though is make sauce, cool it and store separately and while it's coming up to room temperature, boil up your noodles. I'm a tad worried about the noodles getting too soft overnight.

Bethesda, Md.: Both posters who responded to the question about the Bethesda farmer's market seemed to be talking about the Women's Farm Market (?) on Wisconsin Ave ... But there is a small but very nice Tuesday market (from about 10:20 to 2:30) in the Woodmont Triangle (where Woodmont and Norfolk meet) with several local growers. Very much worth checking out for folks who work in the area, as I do!

Kim O'Donnel: And here's another take on Bethesda market, with clarification. Thanks for checking in, neighbor!

Kim O'Donnel: Already time to part ways, I'm afraid. Stay cool, ya hear? See you in blog land: A Mighty Appetite, and for those of you interested in gluten-free cooking, check tomorrow's Food section. All best.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity