Live: The Emmy Awards

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Lisa de Moraes
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, September 16, 2007; 7:00 PM

Post TV columnist Lisa de Moraes and Post TV reporter John Maynard were online Sunday, Sept. 16 at 7 p.m. ET to discuss the Emmy Awards live as the stars come out and the winners are announced.

The transcript follows.

Will 'Idol' Be the Emmys' William Hung? (Post, Sept. 16)

De Moraes has written "The TV Column" for The Post since 1998. She served as the TV editor for the entertainment industry trade publication the "Hollywood Reporter" for almost a decade.

Lisa de Moraes: Kathy Griffin wins the reality-series Emmy and knots the TV academy's knickers with her acceptance speech re: Jesus reference. Elaine Stritch wins a guest acting trophy and gets up on stage for her speech and cackles about how she's a recovering alcoholic and diabetic, etc., "Saturday Night Live's" "[Little Colonel] in a Box" wins best song -- how is tonight's Emmycast going to top last week's non-televised portion of the Emmy ceremony? If reports are true that the big surprise is Britbrit coming on stage to apologize for her VMA train wreck, this is going to be a long night...

Arlington, Va.: Were you surprised that "The Tudors" did not get more nominations? I thought Maria Doyle Kennedy and Jonathan Rhys Meyers were sensational and should have gotten a nod in their respective categories. I mean, they said yes to Kiefer but no to Jonathan?

Lisa de Moraes: It's on Showtime. "Dexter" got snubbed too in several categories. Go figure...

Chattanooga, Tenn.: Is the Emmys the one where the stars get to drink on the air? Or am I thinking about something else?

Lisa de Moraes: Golden Globes they drink at their tables -- well-lubricated stars being just one of the reasons it's the best trophy show for viewers. At Oscars, there are bars in the lobbies and last time I went -- which was also first time I went, some drunken Oscar goer kept pouring his drink down my back... I'm hoping they drink at the Emmys...

Lisa de Moraes: Felicity Huffman's dress keeps flapping open in the breeze. I'm watching the Fox pre-show show. Already I'm weary of the "you look gorgeous, who are you wearing?" blather.

Bethesda, Md.: I'm boycotting the Emmys this year. Weak host (should have bought back Conan) and none of the shows I watch ("Friday Night Lights," "The Wire") are nominated. "The Sopranos" is my pride and joy, but it's the last season...

Lisa de Moraes: But, Pookie, "Sopranos" is expected to mop up. Don't you want to watch it's last hurrah? Or will that just be too sad? And Fox has promised us Emmys in the round this year. That's right, nominees are going to be sitting up on stage, behind Ryan Seacrest, just like my elementary school choir in the gymnasium for the holiday concert. Can't wait. ... Did you know it's a Green Emmys this year? Red carpet is recycled. I thought they reused it every year. Fox wanted the carpet to be green this year. TV Academy said no, thank goodness, because who looks good on green carpet?

Ottawa, Canada: Just saw the actress who plays the Grey on "Grey's Anatomy" ... my god, how scrawny ... bony chests like that need to be better covered.

Lisa de Moraes: Did you just see Felicity Huffman -- she was even skinnier. Is the "Ally McBeal" Syndrome going to hit "Desperate Housewives" this year. Ditto "Grey's Anatomy"?

Wheaton, Md.: So, what's my best bet for the 7 p.m.-8 p.m. hour -- Fox, TV Guide Channel or E!?

Lisa de Moraes: I'm watching Fox now ... did you know this year's show is star studded? I'm learning so much ... ethereal chic, according to Nigel, the Fox fashion guru...

Bigger Equals Better?: So a la the "size matters" game, you're saying that if an actor/actress submitted a performance that was longer than another actor/actress, they would tend to win? The entire body of work (a season) isn't judged, just that one episode? Yikes. That seems harsh.

Lisa de Moraes: Correct ... it's silly, I know...

John Maynard: On the E! runway show, Kevin Dillon said that the Johnny Drama character has "saved" him. We assume he means his career. He also said in real life he does not, repeat not, have an entourage.

West Coast Transplant: Helen Mirren -- sigh. The cat's meow as far as I'm concerned. Even Glenn Close cites her as a role model (i.e. if the best of the Brits can multitask: film, TV, miniseries, why can't our own -- especially given that halfway decent film roles for 18- to 22-year-old girls have dwindled to almost nil, never mind anything for women of any age).

(Any film biz that caters only to 14- to 28-year-old males deserves to fail if you ask me.)

Meanwhile, does Dame Helen have any serious competition? Does your crystal ball show her taking another Emmy back to Santa Barbara? Love ya, Pookie!

Lisa de Moraes: Her "competition" in the competition for best actress in a miniseries or movie includes: Queen Latifah for that HBO project "Life Support," Debra Messing for USA's "The Starter Wife," Mary-Louise Parker for for Oxygen's "The Robber Bride" (gak!) and Gena Rowland's for Lifetime's "What if God Were the Sun" ... but the TV Academy likes to pay tribute to oldsters when they're doing their last turn in a role and this was Mirren's last "Prime Suspect."

John Maynard: Jenna Fischer of "The Office" says she is in heels for the first time since her tumble four months ago, adding that she's "98 percent" recovered. We were waiting for the question from E!'s Kristin Dos Santos about how she fell. It didn't happen.

Flower the Meerkat: Did you see her bomb on the MMAs -- the "Meerkat Manor" awards? I think she was on blister beetle or something.

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, she's going to be the big surprise for this year's Emmycast -- going to appear to apologize for her performance, right before Britbrit does same.

Re: Emmys: So how do these things work exactly? The actors and actresses submit a piece of their work, of their own choosing? Like applying for a job interview and supplying a writing sample? Who knew?!

Lisa de Moraes: Silly, yes. But, as it's explained often, people who work in TV are just too busy to watch TV ... no, I'm not kidding...

North Carolina: Between the limos, the parties and the labor-intensive gowns, how many green credits will Al Gore need to purchase so Hollywood can feel good about itself?

Lisa de Moraes: I'm wondering whether the celebs are showing up in Priuses (Prii?) or stretch limos...

Snarking the Outfits: Am I a bad person for hoping that Ryan Seacrest bombs bigger than Britney so that the powers that be pull him from having anything at all to do with the Super Bowl?

Lisa de Moraes: Not going to happen. He's comfortable doing live TV. He may be mediocre, but he's not going to bomb...

Philadelphia: Is the biggest lock of the night that Merv Griffith gets the loudest applause during the Necrology?

washingtonpost.com: Merv Griffin; TV Host, Game-Show Creator (Post, Aug. 13)

Lisa de Moraes: Pretty much, yes.....

Wheaton, Md.: I'm confused -- both Lara Spencer from "The Insider" and Mark Steines from "Entertainment Tonight" are hosting the Fox pre-show show?

Lisa de Moraes: Strange, since they're both CBS-produced shows. Apparently Fox parent company lacks the talent pool...

Lisa de Moraes: Mark Steines just made Hugh Laurie throw to commercial after asking him if he felt "stellar." The man's hopeless ... why can't any of these networks find anyone who can do these walk up shows. Why are they always varying degrees of mind-numbing?...

Washington: Kate Walsh's hair looks like she was in a girl fight. And she used the phrase "redick." Boooo.

Lisa de Moraes: Wow -- how did I miss that?

John Maynard: E! checked in with Ryan Seacrest inside the Shrine. His shirt is untucked. He addressed the Britney Spears rumor saying that if she does perform during tonight's show, he knows "nothing about it."

Lisa de Moraes: "Who do you miss most [from 'The Sopranos' cast]?", Edie Falco was just asked ... and everyone is being asked if they have an acceptance speech. So that's the one question these bits of on-air talent were told to ask every celeb ... geesh...

Coral Springs, Fla.: Pookie, don't you think that pay-cable shows such as "The Sopranos" should be in a separate category? It doesn't seem right that a show without commercials, with limited episodes and with fewer restraints on profanity and nudity, can compete in the same categories with broadcast TV and basic-cable shows.

Lisa de Moraes: There is actually some talk of that, but please don't hold your breath....

Lisa de Moraes: Helen Mirren looks sensational... Mark Steines just asked her if it means more to win awards the older she gets, as in "How old are you, Helen?". Nicely done!

John Maynard: Just watched the interview E!'s Giuliana Rancic conducted with "Weed's" Mary Louise Parker. Awkward! Rancic said Parker looked fabulous in her red dress and asked her "What's your secret? What's underneath it." Parker: "There's not much underneath it. What do you mean?" It went downhill from there.

Where's Hugh Laurie: Bwaaaah! Just saw Hugh Laurie do his red carpet interview on Fox, and in three minutes he was better than Ryan Seacrest is going to be all night. Is it too late to draft him to host?

Lisa de Moraes: Sadly yes. And since he won't win in his category, viewers won't get to hear his always fabulous acceptance speech and know exactly what it is they're missing ... on the other hand, Fox has promised us Emmys in the round -- yippee!

Bethesda, Md.: Hi Pookie! Glad you are with us tonight. Ryan Seacrest was reporting from the inside on E! (I thought he had a show to host in 20 minutes...). He said that Kanye West will be performing with somebody really big. Dead Elvis again? Better yet, Britney?

Lisa de Moraes: You lost me at Kanye West...

Coral Springs, Fla.: Have you noticed that Fox is doing what the other networks do when they televise the Emmys? They give preferential treatment to stars of their own shows. Fox is wearing out their stars, running them from one interview to the next.

Lisa de Moraes: ABC star on now, but I take your point. Why did you expect Fox to behave differently than other networks?

Centreville, Va.: Wow, Felicity Huffman had better hope there isn't a stiff breeze. Her dress makes her look half naked, and frankly it's not a flattering state for her.

Lisa de Moraes: You're right, sometimes less is less...

Coral Springs, Fla.: Pookie, do you agree that next year's Emmy for best supporting actress should go to Karen Cliche, who plays Baylin on "Flash Gordon"? She's a riot in the role of a lady from Mongo who tries to adapt to customs here on Earth.

Lisa de Moraes: Sure -- why not!

Washington: Magoo says hi!

Lisa de Moraes: Hello to Magoo ... if this show's "green" like Fox says, why did the accountants with the briefcase chock full of winner envelopes just drive up in a Cadillac? What exactly is "green" about this show?

John Maynard: It's 7:45 and Seacrest's shirt is still untucked. On E!, he's took us backstage at the Shrine Auditorium explaining how he will be making his dramatic entrance.

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico: Why don't "Law & Order" and "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" get the recognition they should? They are by far the best shows on TV, I don't get tired watching the reruns! As an attorney, the shows are as close as it gets to reality TV in the legal profession. The acting is superb, outstanding! They deserve to be nominated!

Lisa de Moraes: Wow, I'm stuck back at "as an attorney, the shows are as close as it gets to reality TV in the legal profession." But getting back to your question, "Law & Order" is one of those franchises the academy loves to snub. "CSI" too...

John Maynard: Did you know Charlie Sheen has 13 tattoos? Yep, it's true. That's what he just told E! His girlfriend Brooke Allen piped in that she likes the "baseball one" best.

Ann Arbor, Mich.: E! just questioned whether Meredith Grey really was engaged, because she didn't have an engagement ring. Are they in the 15th century? It's possible to be engaged without sporting some ridiculously expensive ring! And what's with Grey's hair? Yikes.

Lisa de Moraes: Frightening, wasn't it? But in Hollywood there's no such thing as being engaged without a big ol' ring. ... Someone just flashed a 10th anniversary diamond ring that was about the size of a wrist-watch ... I can't remember who it was.

Wheaton, Md.: Why does Katherine Heigl's dress have nurses' hats on the shoulders?

Lisa de Moraes: I was wondering what those were! Thanks for clearing that up. Of course it was in perfect keeping with her character on TV...

Boston: Okay, sorry if I missed this, but I am not sure who John Maynard is.

Lisa de Moraes: John Maynard is my colleague here in Washington Post TeamTV ... he does TV reviews and reporting for Style ... J-May to his friends...

Washington: Heidi Klum has girl fight hair too! What is wrong with these people?

Lisa de Moraes: Apparently birds nest is the new 'do...

Pompano Beach, Fla.: My favorite actresses all looked and sounded great on the red carpet -- Eva Longoria, Rebecca Romijn and Katherine Heigl. They keep it real, except for the fake eyelashes.

Lisa de Moraes: Katherine Heigl complaining that she has enough people trying to beat her up on the show -- she really is one of the world's great whiners. ... Eva Longoria blathering about missing the red carpet for the past many years -- if you call that keeping it real...

Atlanta: I love Katherine Heigl's dress, her hair, I think her jewelry is even okay, but I don't know if I'm digging this shade of lipstick.

Lisa de Moraes: I liked Heidi Klum's better ... but I haven't seen any gown that really knocked me out...

John Maynard: Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson are on the red carpet. Jackson: "We're here for Ryan."

Cowell's advice to E! host Giuliana Rancic who was recently married: "Don't talk a lot and see him as little as possible."

Cowell should host the Emmys.

Dallas: Emmy Awards 2007 Predictions: Best Drama -- "The Sopranos"; Best Actor -- James Gandolfini; Best Actress -- Edie Falco; Best Comedy -- "30 Rock"; Best Miniseries: "Prime Suspect"; Best Movie -- "Wounded Knee"; Best Reality Show -- "American Idol" What are your predictions? Click here to vote now for your favorite nominee.

Lisa de Moraes: Let's see how you do...

Lisa de Moraes: Wow -- Mark Steines just declared his pre-show show a great success. Setting the bar very low, here we go...

Lisa de Moraes: How about that opening number? "Family Guy" animated Brian and Stewie singing about trash on TV. Best lyric says on NBC, "Isaiah Washington is taking Kramer's place" and they cut to T.R. Knight in the audience...

Sterling, Va.: "Someone just flashed a 10th anniversary diamond ring that was about the size of a wrist-watch ... I can't remember who it was." It was Joely Fisher.

Lisa de Moraes: Thank you!

Lisa de Moraes: Is Seacrest doing an okay job or have I had too much coffee?

Albany, N.Y.: Did anyone else have a hard time understanding the "Family Guy" duo?

Lisa de Moraes: Not me. It was like a vaudeville performance...

Arlington, Va.: Can you believe T.R. Knight's face when they showed Isaiah Washington on "Seinfeld"?! Priceless!

Lisa de Moraes: Loved it...

Ann Arbor, Mich.: Okay -- I want to buy that song. That was a pretty good opening, in my opinion.

Lisa de Moraes: I agree. It's scary...

Washington: Conan O'Brien has "There's Something About Mary" hair.

Lisa de Moraes: Totally...

Alexandria, Va.: I'm scared I'm going to accidentally see up someone's dress ala Britney.

Lisa de Moraes: Not sure I like Emmys in the round. Too much like a spelling bee or something...

Washington: Not digging the theater-in-the-round.

Lisa de Moraes: Me neither...

Alec Baldwin: Please, please tell me that raving-lunatic Alec Baldwin is taking his daughter to the show.

Lisa de Moraes: I can't find him in the audience...

Lisa de Moraes: OMG -- Seacrest is better than Ray Romano...

Centreville, Va.: Wow, I never would have guessed that Brian and Stewie would do the opening musical number. Of course the best part is the instant close-ups on various attendees as each punch line is sung. "Do I laugh? Do I not laugh? Ack!" Loved the gratuitous "Sopranos" gag.

Lisa de Moraes: Angus Jones was giggling hysterically at the "Two and a Half Men" reference in the tune. That was cute ... and Ray Romano is really, really bad...

Lisa de Moraes: Best Supporting actor in comedy series to Jeremy Piven again -- oh no. On the other hand, that meant Rainn Wilson didn't win for his one-note performance on "The Office." He also beat: Jon Cryer, Kevin Dillon, Neil Patrick Harris.

Lisa de Moraes: Terry O'Quinn for best supporting actor in a drama? Paleeze. Masi Oka was robbed.

Arlington, Va.: Damn. Vanessa Williams is one of the most beautiful women in the world -- why does she look like a green ostrich?

Lisa de Moraes: Because she's in a hideous, baby-puke green dress...

Yep: Jeremy Piven winning again. The evening is off to a bad start.

Lisa de Moraes: Not as bad as O'Quinn winning for best supporting actor in a drama...

Wilhelmina -- wha?: Who let the fashionista in the green big bird outfit in? Aargh!

Lisa de Moraes: No one seems to like her dress choice...

Roundabout: We're so conditioned to the normal stage production for these things, the perspective is weird ... it's like a bad off-Broadway parody of an awards show...

Lisa de Moraes: Bingo!

Where's Hugh Laurie: My heart goes out to Ryan. Delivering that material in the round -- he was like a Christian being chased around by a lion.

Lisa de Moraes: And yet, he survived. Ray Romano -- not so much...

New York: Nope, Ry-Ry isn't making me puke. I even laughed once! Hope it doesn't happen again -- I have bronchitis, and it hurts to laugh! I thought this would be safe to watch...

Lisa de Moraes: You have to give him credit for being good at handling live TV...

Centreville, Va.: Which is more of a travesty: Michael Imperioli not winning, or Vanessa Williams's dress?

Lisa de Moraes: Vanessa Williams's dress, for sure...

Centreville, Va.: Hooray, Seacrest did not sing. Who's that Romano guy? Didn't he have a show once upon a time? Yawn.

Lisa de Moraes: Zzzzzzzz...

Holy toupee, Batman!: What's up with Ray Romano's hair? My sound just cut out ... did I miss anything?

Lisa de Moraes: No, they had a technical glitch about three minutes into the show. That's not a good sign...

Arlington, Va.: Huge jeer to the Post TV Week for not providing the huge list of nominees as they usually do. Please pass that sentiment to the appropriate staff.

Lisa de Moraes: I'll do that ... wonder what happened...

Springfield, Mass.: Any idea what the technical glitch was during Ray Romano?

Lisa de Moraes: I think they had the script of his jokes ... da dum dum!

Lisa de Moraes: Why does Tina Fey always put her hands on her hips? Is she sending some signal? Hooray for Jaime Pressly winning best supporting actress in a comedy series, for so many reasons: don't have to see Vanessa Williams get up on stage in that dress, another "The Office" smackdown, etc....

Falls Church, Va.: Why is Ray still talking?

Lisa de Moraes: Is he? (I know I got to you late, sorry!) I don't know why he yakked on so long. He was dreadful and his performance would have benefited from a longer technical glitch...

Hanover, N.Y.: Piven didn't deserve his Emmy any more than O'Quinn did? As usual, the Emmys keep going to all the wrong people.

Lisa de Moraes: So far JP's win is the only one I can root for...

I hateTina Fey: But is it wrong that I love her dress? It's like something I would have worn to a wedding.

Lisa de Moraes: Or prom....

I forgot you don't like "Lost": I'm glad they gave "Lost" some love. I heart Masi Oka, but seriously, Terry O'Quinn rocked this past season.

Lisa de Moraes: Masi Oka shoulda won....

Jackson, Mo.: Oh my God, they mispronounced her name.

Lisa de Moraes: And she corrected them ... good for her...

Silver Spring, Md.: Why the negativity for Piven? He's fantastic! I would have preferred somebody else winning (esp. Harris) but Piven's amazing.

Lisa de Moraes: Wanted Harris to win too ... but Piven is great on "Entourage" even when "Entourage" isn't great...

Delray Beach, Fla.: Thomas Hayden Church should have won an Emmy for "Wings." That's right -- I said it. "Wings."

Lisa de Moraes: Excuse me? What are you smoking and where can we get some...

Washington: Do we love or hate Katherine for correcting the pronunciation of her last name?

Lisa de Moraes: Love, love, love...

Delray Beach, Fla.: Yay! Jaime Pressly! She's so funny. I liked some of the other nominees, but I already forgot who they were!

Lisa de Moraes: Me too, she's laps ahead of them -- but then she also has the best role to work with....

Arlington, Va.: Jaime Pressly winning = good. Jaime Pressly talking = bad.

Lisa de Moraes: Preaching to the choir...

Stop: with the boo-hoo-hooing. You won an award, you didn't cure cancer.

Lisa de Moraes: Hey -- you're watching this show, so you, to some degree or another, buy into this being important...

Washington: "Lisa de Moraes: Terry O'Quinn for best supporting actor in a drama? Paleeze. Masi Oka was robbed."

What? Did you see the episode he submitted though, "The Man From Tallahassee?" It was the perfect episode. Plus, Masi Oka is one-note on "Heroes," in my opinion.

Lisa de Moraes: Well, you're right, it was a good episode...

Rockville, Md.: A-plus for the Paula joke. Seacrest is doing a good job.

Lisa de Moraes: The Paula joke was good, especially when they cut to her and she was yakking at someone and totally missed it...

Sad State of Affairs: Trump in that Macys ad with the hair dryer was way funnier than Ray Romano.

Lisa de Moraes: More preaching to choir...

Evansville, Ind.: Does "My Name Is Earl" really deserve an award -- in any category? Only a few hundred people watch that show. Also, Church's acceptance speech was inspired by some controlled substance.

Lisa de Moraes: You're confusing the Emmys with the People's Choice Awards... This isn't about popularity...what the heck was Church's reference to needing to pee in the limo?

Ann Arbor, Mich.: Why is it that the American actors can't give a good acceptance speech? That's one reason I always root for the Brits! And Kyle is hot!

Lisa de Moraes: American actors appear to be frightened of their managers and lawyers, and afraid they will dump them if they don't thank them at the Emmys...

Irritated with Emmy statue graphics: Those bump-in and -out graphics are the cheesiest I've seen in a long time! With all the animation talent out there, that's what they put together?! On a white background, no less.

Lisa de Moraes: I think Fox Sports must have done them...

Lisa de Moraes: Wow -- a second technical glitch and we're not even one hour into the show...

Paula Abdul moment: How funny was it when Ryan made a joke about drugs and they panned to Paula? I honestly believe she didn't know what he was talking about! Funny.

Lisa de Moraes: No, she didn't get it...

Lisa de Moraes: They're doing a Tom Snyder memorial?? They've just lost every viewer under the age of 60...

Lisa de Moraes: Another tech glitch ... I think we need a tech glitch drinking game. ... Katherine Heigl wins best supporting actress in a drama series and starts her acceptance speech by saying "thanks for getting my name right." She says she "worked her ass off" to get there. Is that an FCC fine-able word? And Lorraine Bracco is now a total shutout for "The Sopranos."

Thanks, Kathryn: for a whole night "your mom" jokes.

Lisa de Moraes: Amen! She really does take herself very very seriously...

Jackson, Mo.: Okay, I just loved Conan's reaction. Are these clips they are showing from the material submitted? That would make sense, because they don't have time to watch television to get other clips.

Lisa de Moraes: Not sure what the question is, but as usual the late night competition provides the funniest moments of the show...

Morris, Ga.: I could watch Jennifer Love Hewitt read the phonebook -- and I'd be happy. By the way, I think at least 1,000 people watch "My Name Is Earl."

Lisa de Moraes: I assume you men you could watch Jennifer Love Hewitt --- Love to her friends -- read the phone book so long as she was wearing a really tight top...

Clemson, S.C.: Pookie! I like it better when they show the nominees in an insert/split screen as their names are announced. How are we to enjoy the next Faith Hill moment?

Lisa de Moraes: Loved when Heigl said she didn't have a prepared speech because her mom said she didn't have a chance in hell of winning, and they cut to her mom looking stricken. Is "hell" an FCC fine-able word? Notice how she then thanked her manager and her lawyer -- like that wasn't prepared...

Funniest thing all night: Those writers introduction reels from all the late night shows, each one more hysterical than the last. Not too many women writers on those shows, though, huh?

Lisa de Moraes: No, there never are ... it's the worst boys-club on TV.

Lisa de Moraes: Love watching Tony Bennett and Christina Aguilera singing "Stepping Out," but what the heck does this have to do with the Emmys? We already know "[Little Colonel] in a Box" won best song last week during the non-televised doling out of Emmys...

Washington: Why are we having a song?

Lisa de Moraes: I'm clueless. This show is going to run really, really long..

Under-60 Viewers: Tony Bennett goes with Tom Snyder demo group. You are right, tonight is bird nest hair night, even for Christina.

Lisa de Moraes: She looked like Kim Novak...

Worse than Vanessa's dress: Dennis Hopper shilling for investment firms as a "1960s rebel."

Lisa de Moraes: I know -- it's all skewing so old...

Delray Beach, Fla.: That montage went from George Bush's colon to a Tom Snyder memorial. Weird.

Lisa de Moraes: Emmy shows always are packed with strange segues...

Yay Conan!: About time for Conan, wasn't it going to be the biggest loser at the Emmys if it didn't pick up any awards tonight? The writer awards for the late night series are always hilarious

John Maynard: Indeed, according to the Emmy archives, it was the first win for "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" in more than 20 tries.

Lisa de Moraes: My Shrine Auditorium bureau chief just sent in a report that from inside the auditorium, this looks more like a UFC event than the Emmys...

Lisa de Moraes: Blogger guy did not work -- drank too much Kool-Aid...

Delray Beach, Fla.: I can't believe the Tony Bennett special won a writing award. Maybe that is because the judges know it's a lot harder for a writer to make Tony Bennett interesting than it is Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert or Conan O'Brien.

Lisa de Moraes: It was like a repeat of last year when Barry Manilow beat Stephen Colbert...

Washington: Christina has a definite bump

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, Pookie, women get that way when they're pregnant ... did you not get the sex ed class in school?

Best Director Something or other: Why couldn't this award have been done last week? Who cares about it?

Lisa de Moraes: I agree ... and bring back guest actor and actress derbies to the televised show. Elaine Stritch killed last weekend...

Memphis, Tenn.: You know, when Ryan isn't sucking up to the celebs he actually is pretty good. On an unrelated note, I really enjoyed the comedy show intros, especially Colbert's and Maher's

Lisa de Moraes: "The Daily Show" and Maher's show did the best job ... Colbert's was, as usual, too much about him.

New York: Wait, Katherine Heigl over Chandra Wilson and Sandra Oh? What?

Lisa de Moraes: I agree. Oh should have won...

Lisa de Moraes: Roots?! We're doing a tribute to Roots?! Tom Snyder and Roots?!

Tom Snyder?: Love his pretzels.

Lisa de Moraes: Very funny...

John Maynard: If you're counting at home, the cable network AMC is tied with NBC for the lead with three Emmys (all thanks to "Broken Trail").

Lisa de Moraes: OMG -- a Roots reunion? Shouldn't the TV industry be ashamed they can't come up with a show that is younger than 30-plus years old to pay tribute to? Why does that make the actors on stage proud to be part of this medium? Shouldn't it make them angry?

Charlottesville, Va.: Seriously, Robert Duvall, what are you talking about?

Lisa de Moraes: He did seem to jump into his speech on the second page...

Skewing old...: Indeed, especially watching Robert Duvall calling a mid-40s Kiefer Sutherland "young man..."

Lisa de Moraes: I know!

Lisa de Moraes: Love the Cheerleader's dress...

Lisa de Moraes: Leslie Caron certainly lends some much-needed class to the clambake...

Washington: Was John Goodman actually at the Creative Arts Emmys? Last time I saw him he looked like he had swallowed Roseanne. Sorry to be flip, but he looked dangerously overweight.

Lisa de Moraes: I wasn't there, and yes, he does look heavy ... finally a "Sopranos" win...

Gaithersburg, Md.: Is it just me or was Seacrest funnier and more entertaining than everything else so far? Even the awards are boring.

Lisa de Moraes: It's weird, isn't it. ... So David Chase wins best writing in a drama series for "The Sopranos" finale and makes no reference to the cut to black in his acceptance speech and then the music cut him off...

Montauk, N.Y.: Why do I have a sinking feeling that the HBO series that glorifies organized crime is about to get 20 awards in a row? The Emmys won't have any credibility until the HBO mafia show is off the air. But then they'll probably give all the awards to "Weeds."

Lisa de Moraes: Aha! There we've got you! "Weeds" will never get all the awards because it's on Showtime. So much for that theory...

Come on Battlestar!: Directing/Writing in a Drama Series ... oh "The Sopranos" ... whoop-di-do. I'm sorry, I'm a big "Battlestar Galactica," fan and the first time they're nominated in anything, they're shafted by "The Sopranos" ... fine I know it's considered one of the greatest shows ever, but come on! Of course, they did win in the special effects category for that awesome scene in Exodus ... but still! Yes, I'm bitter -- maybe next year...

Lisa de Moraes: Hey -- getting beat by "The Sopranos" is a badge of honor! When it gets beat by "CSI: NY" you get to complain...

Arlington, Va.: If they play that Macy's commercial one more time, I might just have to turn the TV off and go to bed.

Lisa de Moraes: The P/Puff/Diddy/Daddy ad is making me nuts...

Arlington, Va.: So, "Sopranos" finally wins. Do you think they also will pick up Best Drama but get shut out of the lead acting awards?

Lisa de Moraes: No. I think they will mop up...

Laurel, Md.: "Lisa de Moraes: Leslie Caron certainly lends some much-needed class to the clambake..." "An American in Paris" was 56 years ago.

Lisa de Moraes: So what -- she's still classy. I didn't say she was "current"

"Sopranos" win, but: He got it for the last episode? The one that made everyone angry? Um, okay, Emmy voters. Whatever.

Lisa de Moraes: How much did NBC pay for this "The Office" plug?

"Sopranos": Dang, I was hoping for a "Sopranos" shutout. For me this show was past its prime three or so years ago -- it just doesn't feel relevant anymore. And yes, I am one of the geeks who was crossing her fingers for at least one win for "Battlestar Galactica."

Lisa de Moraes: Finally someone on stage nicks the Emmy in the round ... good for Stewart...

Tony's Wife: Wow, Tony's wife is really young or very well-preserved.

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, Tony's wife is really really young. Why did he have to wait until last to get in his two words, and why did he use them to introduce his wife?

Washington: I'm really torn ... do I love Jon Stewart or Gene Weingarten more?

Lisa de Moraes: Interesting question. And one I'm not gonna answer ... Dick Wolf finally gets an Emmy

Tony Bennett: For any one who is wondering, his wife is 47.

Lisa de Moraes: Good to know ... not sure why...

Alexandria, Va.: Pookie, why are the major networks doing Premiere Week next week, and not beginning tomorrow in the traditional post-Emmy way? Do they think we'll need a week to calm down after watching The Great Ryan Seacrest this evening?

Lisa de Moraes: More to the point, why are Jersey Boys about to perform?

Washington: Halfway through the show and coming up is the Jersey Boys celebrating "The Sopranos"? Damn, where is Kathy Griffin when you need her?

Lisa de Moraes: She should not have been confined to the nontelevised portion of the Emmy orgy...

Scranton, Pa.: Why so much hate for "The Office," Pooks? I guess if you don't get it, you Just. Don't. Get it. Sorry...

Lisa de Moraes: Oh, I get it -- I'm just tired of it. Brits know when to call it a wrap. Here in the states we like to beat a good thing until it's very dead...

Washington: Lisa, could you let us know the winners as they are announced? Not able to tune in but am following along with the chat. Thanks!

Lisa de Moraes: Will do...

Washington: Okay, so am I the only one who has never even heard of "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"?

Lisa de Moraes: No, it was on HBO. Hence, small audience...

Washington: My favorite moments so far ... Ryan's comment to Teri Hatcher (she had no idea how to handle that) and when that "Wings" guy's wife/girlfriend reached out to hug him and he didn't even acknowledge her ... oops!

Lisa de Moraes: I think we're in my fave Emmy moment right now -- the Jersey Boys tribute to "The Sopranos." David Chase probably is gagging...

Washington: I agree with the Jon Stewart, it sucks for the part of the audience that is behind the stage. It's not really theater-in-the-round if the presenters always face the same way.

Lisa de Moraes: Exactly. And they've got their backs to the likes of Hugh Laurie -- who should have been this year's host -- and Ben Silverman, new head of NBC Entertainment, according to our Shrine Auditorium bureau chief...

Albertville, Ala.: Next: The Beach Boys pay tribute to "Baywatch"!

Lisa de Moraes: Love it! Oh, here comes that much hyped reunion of "The Sopranos." Why should this show be treated like royalty on this trophy show? Isn't that nicking the people who have beaten "Sopranos" competitors in the categories so far? If I'm someone who's toiled on another drama series, I'm pretty pissed right now. If I'm a suit at one of the broadcast networks, I'm furious...

Centreville, Va.: I don't think this has been mentioned, but what the heck is Seacrest wearing around his neck? His tie looks like a Fruit Roll-up. Also? Katherine High-gull? Bleh.

Lisa de Moraes: Lots of people have sent comments on Seacrest's tie, but Fruit Roll-up is definitely the best...

Ypsilanti, Mich.: Dick Wolf won for something? What? And I just don't like any of the dresses tonight. Nothing stands out as spectacular.

Lisa de Moraes: Don't worry, it wasn't for a "Law & Order," and hell has not frozen over. It was for "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee," and he was executive producer on the flick. He was the one who thanked his pregnant wife for not going into labor today...

Snarking the Outfits: At least the Jersey Boys know how to lip-synch and put some effort into their moves. But can we get back to awards now, please?

Lisa de Moraes: Exactly. And, speaking of lip-synching, when does Britney appear to apologize for subjecting us to her VMA performance?

Lisa de Moraes: Helen Mirren just won for best actress in a movie or miniseries...

Lisa de Moraes: Her fourth win...

Silver Spring, Md.: Frankie Valli was in "The Sopranos" -- why didn't they show him?

Lisa de Moraes: Excellent question. ... Lewis Black just killed, nicking networks for the junk they toss on the screen during a show promoting the next show, etc. But then, just when you thought it was daring of him, he plugs all the new Fox fall shows, and turns out, we'd been had...

Lisa de Moraes: Phillip Martin just won for best directing, miniseries for "Prime Suspect"...

Hugh Laurie: I agree he should have been host, but then wouldn't it be weird, given that he is nominated in one of the major categories? Or would it be like Conan hosting and being nominated?

Lisa de Moraes: It has happened before. Why should that be strange?

Where's Hugh Laurie: Why are they applauding Lewis Black?

Lisa de Moraes: Because people hate those promos that blast onto the screen when you're trying to watch a show promoting the next show...

Lisa de Moraes: Writing for movie or miniseries ...  "Prime Suspect" has won.

Delray Beach, Fla.: Watching these two from "Cold Case" come on stage reminds me of pairs figure skating. You just have a feeling one of them is going to trip, and it's usually the woman.

Lisa de Moraes: Love your observation, though it makes no sense to me...

Lisa de Moraes: There are about 12 categories to go and it's already past 10 -- long night ahead...

Who won?: Did I miss it? Neil Patrick Harris and someone gave the nominees for best actor and actress I believe in a drama series and then only told us who the actress who won was; she came out to give the next award. Who won for actor?

Lisa de Moraes: They haven't named the winner for Best Actor in a Drama Series. They did do Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Terry O'Quinn from "Lost."

Delray Beach, Fla.: Helen Mirren! Yay! I love her. What a strappy dress!

Lisa de Moraes: The dress was pretty hideous, but love her new hairdo...

Wheaton, Md.: Lewis Black is ripping the networks to shreds! Yay!

Lisa de Moraes: It was pretty wonderful, but then he plugged Fox's fall series. Don't you feel kinda had?

Fairfax, Va.: Helen Mirren is (looks, acts, speaks) fabulous. Enough said.

Lisa de Moraes: Brits really do give the best speeches...

Fairfax, Va.: Sheesh, there was less singing at the Tony Awards.

Lisa de Moraes: I can't explain it...

Lisa de Moraes: Oh god, they're going to go interactive -- look, it's like really, really bad TV! Golly!

Detroit: Heigl? Jenna Fischer wuz robbed, Pookster! Her scene at the end of last season's "Office" finale (when Jim came back and asked her to dinner) was Emmy-worthy all by itself.

Lisa de Moraes: Yeah -- for most treacly moment in a Hallmark TV movie. Sadly, she wasn't up for that category...

Lisa de Moraes: Oh look, it's Al Gore, getting standing ovation for his Current network, which just won the interactive Emmy

Lewis Black: tried too hard. I like him, but he got on my nerves. The one part I liked was the end...

Lisa de Moraes: Brad Garrett just agreed with Robert Duvall that every actor should do a Western -- Duvall said that during his acceptance speech -- and said he soon would star in "Bury My Head Between Your Knees." Brent Bozell's going to have a field day with that one ... kiddies are watching, blah, blah, blah...

Arlington, Va.: Okay, Joely Fisher and Brad Garrett cracked me up! And yes, the nipple did seem to be a real threat.

Lisa de Moraes: Tony Bennett gives a big wet kiss to his special's sponsor, Target, which he calls a "very wholesome company" ... I will have nightmares about that tonight ... this Tony Bennett special is going to be the winningest show at the Emmys at this rate ... Bennett just won for best individual performance in a variety show...

Washington: Why isn't "'Til Death" as funny as the banter between Brad Garret and Joely Fischer? Ellen was nominated for her Academy Award hosting duties? Really? No love for Colbert? He loses to Tony Bennett now?

Lisa de Moraes: Because they don't write it ... duh...

Washington: Ok Tony Bennett (Who should not have beaten out Colbert or Stewart) just lost all good will for praising his sponsor! Target? He has won too many awards tonight.

Lisa de Moraes: Elaine Stritch, who won best guest actress in a comedy series last weekend, is a hoot ... she too nicks the "in the round"-ness. Best directing in a comedy series just went to "Ugly Betty."

Fairfax, Va.: You know, I'm kind of tired of these one-show only winners. Last year, Barry Manilow for one show, this year, Tony Bennett for one show. Yet Stewart, Letterman and Colbert are out there week after week and that's equal to one lousy special show? C'mon, it's an outrage.

Lisa de Moraes: You said it -- some of these categories make no sense...

Alexandria, Va.: Tony Bennett thanked Target before he thanked his family?

Lisa de Moraes: Yes he did ... it was very sad...

Albertville, Ala.: Somewhere, Barry Manilow is smiling.

Lisa de Moraes: Amen!

Richmond, Va.: Wow, is Teri Hatcher shiny!

Lisa de Moraes: But in a good way, right?

Arlington, Va.: Man, the Tony Bennett love is way overboard. Isn't this really an award for making it to 80 and still being somewhat coherent?

Lisa de Moraes: The TV Academy does love to give trophies to senior citizens ... best writing in a comedy series just went to "The Office" -- beating, among others, Ricky Gervais's other show, "Extras."

Leesburg, Va.: They really don't make 'em like Elaine Stritch anymore, do they?

Lisa de Moraes: No, they don't. She's just perfect...

Roanoke, Va.: I can see the discussion in the conference room at the Academy planning session: "We'll take the best featured actor and actress awards and put them in the technical awards, then we'll beef up the Sunday night show with Interactive awards." Great idea. Someone earned a bonus.

Lisa de Moraes: Right -- we won't televise Elaine Stritch giving her hilarious acceptance speech, or Kathy Griffin's news-making acceptance speech, but we will televise Choppy Computer Head naming best interactive series...

Stritch?: Love her, but she won her award off-screen last week. What's the point of giving many of the awards early then taking up television time repeating it? Move all the mini-series awards off-screen too, unless there's another "Roots." The Emmys are boring because I haven't seen most of the nominees, much less the winners. Limit the Emmys to ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and maybe the other one if they ever have good programming again. Let the cable channels start their own awards. If the Emmys tank, it's because the majority of the potential audience didn't care.

Lisa de Moraes: Years ago, when they moved guest acting derbies to the nontelevised night, all hell broke loose -- and the Academy, to make nice, agreed to let the winners of the guest acting gigs be presenters on televised night -- throwing them a bone, as it were. But they never ever ever will cut the boring speech by the TV academy president, because this year they knew all America would want to know it was his last year in the gig...

Jackson, Mo.: Did she yawn for real?

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, she did. I love her...

Potomac Falls, Va.: Good grief! Is it just me or are we just watching the same clips shown over and over again for different award titles? Every time I turn around Tony Bennett is rambling about something else. ... Please fast forward!

Lisa de Moraes: We do seem to be in a loop of some kind...

Washington: Which win would be less justified -- "The Sopranos" winning Best Drama this year, or the year "The West Wing" won it for the fourth year in a row?

Lisa de Moraes: Okay, "West Wing's" fourth win ... love Seacrest in Henry VIII costume...

New Jersey: I only wish Lewis Black had called out FX by name when complaining about those stupid mid-show promos. I could kiss him for complaining about what they do to the credits ... which tells you how much I hate miniscule names speeding by.

Lisa de Moraes: Why should he single out FX. All the cable and broadcast networks do it these days -- watched NBC lately?

"Extras": Is "Extras" as funny as that clip that they showed makes it seem? If so, I need to rent it right away.

Lisa de Moraes: Absolutely...

Best dress: I think Eva Longoria had the best dress. Everyone else has something red on. Is that the new color?

Lisa de Moraes: Is red the new black? Eva Longoria's dress is gorgeous and made by the same designer who designed her wedding reception dress. And they say the Emmy walk-up show isn't educational!

John Maynard: Scorecard update: "The Amazing Race" is CBS's first win of the night.

Lisa de Moraes: "Amazing Race" wins -- again -- for best reality series: competition. But only after a big fat plug for Fox's reality series "Don't Forget the Lyrics" in which Kanye West loses a lyric competition, involving one of his own tunes, to Rainn Wilson ... very lame...

"Amazing Race": I thought the point of having a reality show is to employ fewer people. It looks like they employed half the room!

Lisa de Moraes: No, it's to hire people cheaper...

Kanye: Oh, dear whatever wherever, why?

Lisa de Moraes: I'm with you. That was a very lame bit of business ... that said, overall this show hasn't been as lame as Emmys past...

"Amazing Race" won?: Okay, I really think "Project Runway" outdid themselves this past season. They were robbed, but the lead-up to the award was great.

Lisa de Moraes: "Idol" submitted "Idol Gives Back" and still can't win this derby...

Ryan's outfit: I hate it, but love the pimp comment. Why is he wearing it?

Lisa de Moraes: Wish I could explain why he wore it. I think it was only so he could make the "gay" joke.

Washington: I'm already looking forward to the review of this train wreck ... is Shales doing it? (Of course, if it's you or John, that's great too...)

Lisa de Moraes: Shales is on duty...

Lisa de Moraes: Forgot to mention that Helen Mirren's win means she breaks her tie with Patty Duke in the movie and mini actress category and is now the frontrunner...

Falls Church, Va.: Rainn Wilson vs. Kanye West was lame, although, the show is getting easier to watch. Of course, I've been sucking down vodka for the past hour and a half.

Lisa de Moraes: It really helps, doesn't it?

Silver Spring, Md.: So was the Stritch thing really just happening, or was that all staged? Either way, it was hilarious.

Lisa de Moraes: Does it matter -- it was great.

Washington: I don't remember the past ones, but it seems that the banter between the presenters is uniformly funny. Is it just me?

Lisa de Moraes: It does seem better this year -- can't believe I said that...

Lisa de Moraes: Colbert and Stewart should host the Oscars together...

Lisa de Moraes: Finally, someone beat Tony Shalhoub for best comedy actor. Ricky Gervais won but isn't there, so Jon Stewart said he was going to give it to Steve Carell instead. Carell accepted -- rare moment of spontaneity in this show...

Perth, Ontario: Sorry -- but those very funny fellows, Colbert and Stewart, had a terribly lame duet...

Lisa de Moraes: It kinda died at the end, like an "SNL" skit ... Emmy for best drama series actress goes to Sally Field ... her third win, her first in 1977...

Ryan's "gay" joke: He needs to either come out or apologize. He offended on many levels, and I was enjoying him until that moment. And I'm over the green shtick.

Lisa de Moraes: If they really wanted to go green, they'd cancel the show...

Lisa de Moraes: Holy Cow! Fox censored Sally Field's anti-war statement...

Sally Field: Looking at Sally Field makes me realize that I need to work out more.

Lisa de Moraes: She looks great, but I'm still back at the network censoring her...

Sally Fields!: Gah! What political statement did they censor? No one should ever censor Sally Fields.

Lisa de Moraes: I'm trying to find out...

Lisa de Moraes: Oh come on -- they included Pavarotti in the Emmy dead-people list?

Yes!: Tony Shalhoub was stopped!

Lisa de Moraes: Hooray!

washingtonpost.com: Photo Gallery: Red-Carpet Winners and Losers (washingtonpost.com, Sept. 16)

Lisa de Moraes: Closing in on the end. "The Sopranos" never has won the Best Drama Series Directing category, so that win tonight suggests it also will win Best Drama Series -- not that that would be any big surprise...

Ann Arbor, Mich.: Colbert/Stewart giving the award to Carell was great. But seriously, Sally Fields needs to not take herself so seriously. The award belongs to all the mothers of the world. ... Please!

Lisa de Moraes: That was just her segue into whatever political statement she was trying to make...

Lisa de Moraes: America Ferrera just won for best actress in a comedy series ... her first nomination and win.

Detroit: There is nothing wrong with censoring the political nonsense. If these self-important -- and predominantly uneducated (only a fraction even have a college degree) -- acting types want to pontificate, they can wear a button/ribbon.

Lisa de Moraes: I didn't know a college degree was required to be allowed to express an opinion. ... Kate Walsh stuck her head in a blender to get that look, and that's dangerous. So she deserves to get to express a political opinion, but sadly, does not. ... Emmy for Best Drama Series Actor just went to James Spader, beating Gandolfini! ... "I feel like I just stole a pile of money from the mob," he said. He also said these are the worst seats he's ever had at a trophy show -- he's one of the folks in the back...

Lisa de Moraes: Can you hear that wailing and screaming? That's TV critics all over the country...

Lisa de Moraes: Shrine Auditorium bureau chief reports that what Sally Fields said that Fox censored was, paraphrasing, that if mothers were in charge there wouldn't be any [expletive] war...

Hugh Laurie: I just woke up my dog with a shriek of horror that Hugh didn't win.

Lisa de Moraes: Yes, normal people are screaming about that. Critics are screaming about Gandolfini not winning. I love upsets...

Annandale, Va.: I would love to see all of the curse words going through Gandolfini's head right now. Boston Legal?!

Lisa de Moraes: Spader's episode was second smallest, time-wise, at 24 minutes and 30 seconds. Gandolfini had nearly 33 minutes in his episode, Hugh Laurie 29 minutes and 15 seconds and Denis Leary 31 minutes and 45 seconds. Kiefer Sutherland's episode had him on screen just 17 minutes...

Lisa de Moraes: Best Comedy Series: "30 Rock" ... big win for NBC...

Washington: James Spader again? No Hugh Laurie love. I did like James Spader's speech, though you know Hugh's would be good too.

Lisa de Moraes: Spader's speech was just fine, because it wasn't delivered by Gandolfini, who is a terrible speech-giver. ... Tina Fey, on the other hand, gave one of those most boring of acceptance speeches, thanking head of studio, network entertainment division, children, spouses, partners, blah, blah, blah. But she redeemed herself at the end, thanking the show's "dozens and dozens of viewers."

Silver Spring, Md.: Can I just say that I'm loving "The Sopranos" being shut out of so many categories? You gonna give us a big heave ho with the finale, well guess what? Forget you. Heh.

Lisa de Moraes: I thought I was the only one who felt this way ... nice to know you're out there...

Lisa de Moraes: Bill Maher is now the losingest individual ever at the Emmys. He lost twice tonight, bringing his total to 19. Previous record-holder Angela Lansbury had 18 nominations without a win. Of course, hers were all in acting derbies while his have been spread out in on-air, writing, producing, etc.

Lisa de Moraes: And, in the final category, the Best Drama Series win goes to: "The Sopranos." Better ending than the show's, don't you think?

Helen Mirren: Classiest and most gracious presenter, and the only one who knows how to work the theatre in the round

Lisa de Moraes: They did in-the-round seating but not in-the-round performing ... "Sopranos" creator David Chase, playing off of Sally Field's censored comment, said if this world was run by gangsters, "it would be the way it is."

Perth, Ontario: Our less-sensitive Canadian ears were allowed to hear Sally's comment...

Lisa de Moraes: And the republic still is standing -- amazing!

Dallas: Watching without the sound (also at work), I like the way Helen Mirren revealed "Sopranos" as best drama...

Lisa de Moraes: It's called "entertainment"

Arlington, Va.: Thanks for making this so much more fun! I love TV, and I wish I had your job! But you're the best.

Lisa de Moraes: You're welcome ... good night.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity