Transcript

Weekend Now

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Weekend Staff
The Washington Post Weekend Section
Friday, November 9, 2007; 11:00 AM

The staff of Weekend, the Washington Post's weekly entertainment guide, covers what's happening in the Washington area. We'll field your questions on everything in the section to weekend getaways and kids' activities. We write about all kinds of fun things to do and we're happy to talk to you about it.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

They were online Friday, Nov. 9, at 11 a.m. ET.

This week, take a tour of scandalous Washington with the one-and-only Dana Milbank. Also, we chat with singer Regina Belle and actors Don Cheadle and Josh Brolin. We also visit and tell you about Siam House in Cleveland Park and "Marcel Breuer: Design and Architecture" at the National Building Museum.

A transcript follows.

Read about the staff of the Weekend section.

Weekend Now Discussion Transcripts

Curt Fields: Hey there.

Welcome to our weekly chat session about entertainment in and around the DC area. We've got the staff of the Post's Weekend section here ready to help you make plans or just gab about what's going on in the world of fun.

We've already gotten several questions (gold stars to you early submitters!) but there's always room for more. We'll type as fast as we can to get to as many as we can.

So c'mon, join in and let's get going ...

Washington, D.C.: Please help! My fiance's parents are coming into town and I want them to have fun. So far I have planned to take them to the Smithsonian museum out by Dulles and to the Veterans Day Parade. I wanted to take them on a cruise from Georgetown to Old Town, but the rain/cold weather means this probably isn't a good idea. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Jenny Abella: No worries! We're here to help. A coupla options: First, have they been to the Kennedy Center? They have free concerts every day at 6. Saturday is a youth choir from Kenya, and Sunday is a "newgrass" singer-fiddler. Both sound intriguing.

Second, there are lots of Veterans Day events this weekend, including a "Healing Field" -- 1,000 flags by the Washington Monument and a reading of the names on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. We'll have a link to events shortly.

Third, if want to see the city in a new way (and off the water so it'd be slightly warmer), take the advice of two of our readers and take a Segway tour. There are a few you can check out. Links to details in a bit.

Have fun!

washingtonpost.com: Remembering Our Veterans (Post, Nov. 9)

washingtonpost.com: YourPick See the City by Segway (Post, Nov. 9)

Georgetown, Washington, D.C.: Hey, Weekenders. Thanks for taking my question.

My birthday is Thanksgiving weekend, and I was hoping to have friends meet me at RFD in Chinatown, but I understand that place is kind of crazy when there's a game at Verizon, and there is one that night. You think the holiday might make it a smaller hockey crowd, or should I look elsewhere? (I'm open to any suggestions!)

Eve Zibart: I think it will still be fairly busy, and to be honest I've been hearing uneven things about the food there. (Of course, it might be the beers you're interested in.) What about gong to Bierria Paradiso instead?

Ellen McCarthy: The good thing is that so many big new places have opened up around the Verizon Center lately, that all of them should be a little less crowded now. If you find yourself feeling like a sardine at RFD, consider going down the street -- and underground -- to Rocket Bar or around the corner to the Greene Turtle. Bar Louie is now open inside Gallery Place and the Irish Channel, on H Street, is just out of the way enough to sometimes miss the big crowds.

Washington, D.C.: Have any of you been to the Museum Shop Around at Strathmore? I might go this weekend. Will the merchandise be affordable though? Or will it all be pricey -- $300 vases or pieces of jewelry from Corcoran or something? Thanks

Eve Zibart: I've been and there's a wide range of prices and some really neat stuff. (If you've ever been to the Cooper-Hewitt's shop or MoMa, you'll recognize some.) And there were a couple of things that, though a little pricy, gave me some ideas of my own!

Virginia: I overheard some co-workers talking about how they went to a "house concert" a couple weekends ago. It wasn't a party like I am familiar with from back in the day where a band plays at a party and, organically, friends come and party.This was different, and seems to be a trend in response to the article in the paper today about a corrupt ticket system.Have any of you been to a house concert?

washingtonpost.com: Is the Ticket Biz Out of Line? (Post, Nov. 9)

Richard Harrington: House concerts have been around in the folk community for decades (and not to be confused with rent parties, by the way). Basically, an artist/act will be hosted at someone's house; the host will either invite a circle of friends or publicize the event some way; the artist fee is taken care of through a ticket or contribution. Some rockers, like Pat DiNizio of the Smithereemns have done house concerts--technically, back yard concerts that can accomodate a larger crowd (Pat did a whole national tour). The Folklore Society of Greater Washington--one of the largest such organizations in the country, at www.fsgw.org--notes many house concerts in its monthly newsletter. They're intimate and a lot of fun--just saw my old colleague Eric Brace and Last Train Home at one last weekend. It's hardly a response to the high price of tickets---not a lot of people are going to make a living on house concert tours. Unless you live a Dan Snyder-size house and have a lot of parking available. By the way, these are generally concerts, not parties.

Curt Fields: We'll try to link to an old story Richard did with Pat D about house concerts. But it may take us a while to find it (if we're able to at all).

DC: Michael, there was a sentence in the mini-"review" today in the Style section that I found disturbing. A gallerist explained to a critic that the photograph that she was looking at was actually a photograph of a finely hand-crafted sculpture, not a digital Photoshop creation. The critic turned this fact into some sort of indication that the gallerist was representing "the art world's discomfort with technology". I see no discomfort in the art world with technology in general. It's all over the place and I dare say much of it is poorly crafted.

I do see a disregard for fine craftsmanship, analog and digital. I would just like your opinion on this, Mr. O'Sullivan. Do you think gallerists should just keep mum and let viewers think that, oh, of course it's digital, everything is digital these days? Or do you think that it's the duty of a gallerist representing a fine craftsperson to explain the the method of the craft to the viewer?

washingtonpost.com: From Lori Nix, Surreal Urban Decay (Post, Nov. 9)

Michael O'Sullivan: I think the gallery owner WAS probably trying to reassure the writer (and maybe the readers) that there were no "tricks" or "shortcuts" involved in making these pictures, that there was still very much the hand of the artist involved, and that a lot of actual "work" was required to make the sculptural objects that are the subject of the artist's photos. I think some of us still believe that digital art is "cheating." I do not. That being said, I am in greater awe of the effort involved in Lori Nix's pictures than I would be if they were created purely in PhotoShop.

washingtonpost.com: Smithereens, Meet the Beatles ( Post, Jan. 12)

Baltimore, Md.: Fave "Miami Vice" episodes?

Curt Fields: The 2-part "Golden Triangle" was pretty cool (Castillo's ex gets kidnapped). And pretty much any of the ones that involve the Calderones. And G.Gordon Liddy's appearance was fun (especially at the time).

Anonymous: How do I get to the Red Dirt Studio?

Eve Zibart: If you go to her website, www.margaretboozer.com., there are directions from various areas.

Kalorama, Washington, D.C.: Jessica Dawson implied in a recent Post article that gallery crawls are dead in our area...is there still a Bethesda Art Walk tonight? I can't find anything online.

Thanks

Michael O'Sullivan: Really, my Kalorama friend? You can't find anything online? You're sure you're not just looking for a free plug from me for your Bethesda gallery? Okay, I'll give you one: There's a Bethesda Art Walk tonight from 6-9. It takes place the second Friday of every month. Oh, and by the way, I googled "Bethesda Art Walk" and the first site that came up had all the information. Perhaps you need to upgrade your search engine. :-)

washingtonpost.com: Bethesda

Anne Arundel Co.: Do you know anything about the Annapolis-Easton tug-of-war this Saturday? I heard that it's not over water this year. Is it worth going?

Eve Zibart: It's true that dock construction has forced this year's competition into the streets (the "Maritime Republic of Eastport" suspects municipal chicanery, of course) on the Eastport side along Fourth between Chesapeake and Severn. But it looks as if the rest of the festivities--street fest, chili cookoff, music--will go on as usual. Go for it.

DVD fan: Is there anything cool in the "Ocean's" trilogy gift set? Was thinking it'd be a good gift, but the person I have in mind has the individual movies, so was wondering if it's worth it -- or should I just get her "Ocean's Thirteen" to complete her set?

Curt Fields: Well, if she has either an HD or Blu-Ray player, then it might be worth getting for her as an upgrade, because the gift set comes in a high def version with new bonus features such as previously unreleased footage. If she only has a standard dvd player and already has 11 and 12, then you're probably better off just getting 13's individual release for her.

Michael O'Sullivan: Glad to see that someone out there is thinking of going to the Red Dirt Studios open studio this Sunday from 1 to 5. It's an amazing place, with amazing artists. I highly recommend it.

Arlington, Va.: Any good movies out?

Ellen McCarthy: Lots! And it should only get better in the coming weeks. "American Gangster" and "Gone Baby Gone" have both gotten good reviews. So has "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead," by master director Sidney Lumet. Stephen Hunter gave "No Country for Old Men," a mixed review, but devoted Cormac McCarthy fans will still want to see how the Coen brothers adapted this haunting story for the big screen.

Washington, D.C.: Hi, I'm going to the Bruce concert on Monday night. Do you have any idea as to what time he has been going on? I doubt he has an opening act and the ticket says 7:30, but that often means nothing.

Also, do you guys have any idea as to the playlist concerning new to old songs?

Finally, any suggestions on good happy hour deals for Monday night before the concert in Chinatown? Thanks! (and sorry for the long question)

Eve Zibart: I'll flip for happy hour: Ella's has a lot of cut-priced beers, sangria, etc. plus $5 pizzas; Matchbox discounts its pizza, too. Cap City does $3.50 pints and half-price apps; Poste puts the truffle fries on half-price plus some cocktail deals....and the McCormick & Schmick's has all sorts of cheap happy hours stuff including the $1.95 burgers.....

Richard Harrington: you don't get to be legendary for delivering long and exhausting concerts by having opening acts. Be prompt.

Washington, D.C.: Richard,

What can you tell me about Sigur Ros?

Sorry I don't know how to make that accent mark over the 'o.'

Richard Harrington: how does inscrutable sound? I interviewed them in 2001; the story was headlined 'Sigur Ros Gloriously Glacial Music` I talkd to drummer Orri Pall Dyrason in English, but the band sings in a totally made up language of their own. I wrote that "Sigur Ros's sound begs the use of muted terminology -- moody, mournful, melancholy, meditative, the result of the odd textures provided by guitarist and vocalist Jon Por Birgisson. Jonsi -- everybody just calls him Jonsi -- plays his electric guitar with a violin bow (it's the group's signature sound) and sings with a choirboy falsetto full of mystery, and not just because he often slips into Hopelandic, an invented language long on feeling but absent meaning. Not that many folks here are going to understand what Jonsi's singing anyway: There are only 280,000 people who speak Icelandic, and, the occasional Bjork aside, the vast majority of them live in Iceland."

On Nov 20 they'll release a documentary film, "Heima" and an accompanying CD "Hvarf/Heim" has just come out. The film chronicles a series of free concerts Sigur Rs played in Iceland over the course of summer 2006. Pitchfork calls the film "stupidly gorgeous... a stunning record of an extraordinary endeavor: Don't be surprised if you stumble out of the theater with tear-striped cheeks, dreaming of rotten shark and glaciers." Please, do be careful.

Washington, D.C.: For the poster that wants to spend their birthday at RFD -- I seem to recall that you can rent a room there for a party and you get to choose which beers you want on draft -- That sounds like an awesome bday party to me!

Ellen McCarthy: They do rent a private room at RFD, which can accommodate over 200 people. But even if you have a smaller crowd, the folks there will help you out. If that sounds like where you want to be, e-mail their private party manager: danny@lovethebeer.com

Richard Harrington: BTW if you want to see what Bruce has been playing so far go to http://www.brucespringsteen.net/live/2007setlists.html

Clifton, Va.: Come on Eve, how's reviewing some Virginia restaurants outside the Beltway? Or are you scared to venture out this way? Real bias between you and Tom!

Eve Zibart: What, Lorton's not outside the Beltway? Vienna? Herndon? Yes, we do a lot of Ballston, Clarendon, Crystal City, Pentagon City, etc, but that's partly because so many people shudder at the idea of facing traffic for "fun." And many of the most intriguing ethnic neighborhoods (Falls Church, for instance) do fall within the magic line. But every area always feels as if it's getting shorted (and many DCers think we shouldn't go out that far!). In any case, we have Manassas pizza and South Riding Indian in our sights in the near future. (And Crystal City Ethiopian, too.)

Nix: It strikes me as odd to caption a work as a "non-digital photo." I find it a bit amusing, since I had a photograph in a group show and the curator insisted that he could not call my photograph a photograph since it was printed digitally. I took the photograph using a camera, with slide film, and the film was processed in a lab. The only thing digital was the printing process.

Michael O'Sullivan: That is odd. It should be about the picture, right, not the tools?

Penn Quarter, Washington, D.C.: As pedestrian who's had bad experiences with Segways either going three abreast on the sidewalk and blocking others or being nearly rundown, I'm a little concerned about encouraging folks to try them out.

The tours sound like there's some supervision. Do non-tour rentals at least give the riders some rules of the road courtesy instruction?

Thanks for any insight/reassurance.

Michael O'Sullivan: Okay, I don't know the answer to your question, but I just have to say that, as a fellow pedestrian, my path on the sidewalks of downtown is routinely blocked by, yes, OTHER PEDESTRIANS walking three abreast. Ill manners are not the sole province of Segway riders. Now I'll get off my soapbox.

College Park, Md.: Richard,

Why did the Decemberists cancel?And what do you think about the Cold War Kids?

Richard Harrington: My understanding is there were some ongoing health issues that were thought to be resolved but cropped up again after the first set of concerts. Too bad: I had a fun interview with Colin Meloy that would have run today. Interesting fact: for a guy know for using big and unusual words, Meloy says he's no good at Scrabble. I have the same problem! Sadly, it looks like there won't be a rescheduled Long and Short of It tour. No major thoughts on CWK.

Virginia: Did Breuer focus only on design? Or did he try to make the objects and buildings especially functional?

Michael O'Sullivan: Unlike, say, Frank Lloyd Wright, who was less concerned with practicality (witness the deterioration of some of his pieces such as Falling Water), Breuer worked extensively with such engineers as Pier Luigi Nervi. His architectural projects, don't just look beautiful, but hold up very well today, for the most part. Some buildings might need a little surface cleaning, but what doesn't? Functionality and form went hand in hand.

Curious: So did Josh say anything about what it's like having Babs in the family?

Ellen McCarthy: Nah... my time ran out before I got to that! Interesting guy though -- just really enthusiastic and passionate. It'll be fun to watch what the next couple years bring for him.

Scrabble words: Big, unusual words aren't that much help in Scrabble. I once won a Scrabble game in another language against native speakers, just because I knew the strategy.

Curt Fields: True! If you know a lot of 2 and 3 letter words so that you can play in tight spaces and get points for multiple interlocked words you'll do much better than most. (although being able to come up with 7-letter bingos helps too)

Lunch in Dupont: The weekend's almost here, but I need a little lunch time boost to hold me until 5 p.m. Where in Dupont is a good lunch time spot, for under $20? I'm looking for soup, and maybe fries, but I'm game for almost anything (except for salad).

Eve Zibart: How about mussels and frites at Bistro du Coin? or gumbo at Tabard, seafood stew at Mourayo, lobster bisque at Pesce, and I think Sakana on P Street is very underrated, not only for sushi but for comfort food (including soup).

Jenny Abella: Re the Segways. I think they're pretty much all guided tours, and walking past one of the tour HQs downtown recently, I saw a guide teaching tourists how to ride those newfangled things in an alley so I think they get to practice before heading out. Just keep your eyes peeled...

Segways and sidewalks: From what I hear, they're pretty easy to balance and control. So it seems they wouldn't be too much of a nuisance. Unless of course, President Bush is driving it, since he fell off one.

Curt Fields: You just made me laugh.

Washington, D.C.: I don't think Photoshop is cheating and yes it does take craftsmanship and there are artists our there who actually sculpt in Photoshop. but they often do swipe images from other sources, and nothing wrong with that, but when an artist sculpts in Photoshop using only images they created themselves, there can be a purity and I would go so far to say a higher value. But then again, maybe I give more credit to the hand. Seems to me those focused on the conceptual these days are often 1 trick ponies

Michael O'Sullivan: Thanks for sharing. It's hard to not be a one-trick pony these days. There's a lot of emphasis--perhaps too much--on newness over quality. Our recent art school grads are being marketed as flavors of the minute, and even thery're sometimes not "new" enough. There's a documentary coming out soon, "My Kid Could Paint That," about some child "prodigy" who makes splashy abstractions. The controversy around her is that her father might be helping out behind the scenes. [sigh]

Is it just me?: Or has Chaka's stuff not been all that for the past 10-15 years? The review sounds promising. Is she really getting back to her old funky sound?

Richard Harrington: She does seem renewed in energy and focus. A lot of artists go through slow times, sometimes as a result of shifts at their labels, or with their audiences. Chaka does have a loyal fan base, major talent and hair styles second only to Patti LaBelle.

Re: no good at Scrabble: You can always use my husband's strategy and only play three-letter words, making it impossible for the rest of the other players to build from. It ruins my "playing almost all of my letters in one turn" strategy. It makes for a fun weekend of him gloating over playing "cat" and me pouting because there's no way to play "jukebox."

Curt Fields: It's the Scrabble equivalent of Spurrier's Fun & Gun vs. the old Woody Hayes 3 Yards & a Cloud of Dust offenses!

Annapolis, Md.: Just a bit more info for the person inquiring about the Tug of War in Annapolis/Eastport this weekend -- entrance is free, there will be a tug, but it will be on land (boo), there will be lots of food, drink and chili to keep you warm and you can find anything else you want to know here: Tug of War

Curt Fields: more on the tug...

Rockville, Md.: Will the America By Air exhibit be worth braving weekend crowds for (I work during the week).

Michael O'Sullivan: Haven't seen the finished product yet, but I've seen it in partial progress. There's going to be a nose cone of a real 747, which I expect will be pretty awesome. How do you feel about maddening crowds and long lines, which will probably be the case? Don't like 'em much? I'd suggest waiting a week or two.

Washington, D.C.: Richard, you must have a zillion records. Do you know a good place in D.C. where I can get a new needle for my 80s turntable?

Richard Harrington: DJ Hut , which recently ad a major fire, and has not reopened

try needleexpress 1-800-358-2030, 1-800-982-2620

Richard Harrington: www.needlexpress.com

Silver Spring, Md.: I just recently discovered Blues Alley, and I love it! I was wondering where it ranks with Mr. Harrington as far as intimate venues to see live music in the D.C. area. Are there any other great places that I've been missing out on?

Richard Harrington: Blues Alley is mighty intimate; it's tempting to add a Count Basie-style single note coda when you're just a foot or two from the stage. Intimate as in quiet? The Birchmere, Jammin Java and Rams Head On Stage, none a jazz club, of course.

Betheskalorama: Ohhh'Sullivan!!

You caught me (us actually)! We are just a little distressed at how Dawson dismissed the Bethesda galleries all in one swoop.

Not a gallerist but a Bethesdian working to promote the arts and entertainment district; come review us!

Michael O'Sullivan: Dear Bethesda,

I have reviewed you, and will, I am sure, again.

Yer pal,

Michael

They often do swipe images from other sources, and nothing wrong with that...: Really? I think there's something wrong with swiping someone else's images.

Michael O'Sullivan: I believe the term of art is "appropriation," not "stealing." [ahem]

Curt Fields: Or one could say "sampling" a la music.

Scrabble, Va.: Scrabble is all about strategy, and using the triple-word and double-word scores before your opponent can. Defensive playing is key. Drives my English-majoring mother crazy, who likes to make words such as 'jerboa' and stuff. I am all about 'aa' and 'job' etc. ...

(sorry, Scrabble was just the only board game in the house growing up!)

Curt Fields: No apologies needed!

Washington, D.C.: You say digital, I'll say GicleeDoes it really matter? And shouldn't digital mean it's more affordable for the prospective buyer?How it is made does matter.

Michael O'Sullivan: I'm not saying that how something's made doesn't matter. I'm saying that I've seen bad pictures made with expensive, large-format film cameras, and stunning ones made with digital point-and-shoots. But I hate the word "giclee," which is just an expensive French name for "poster."

Washington, D.C.: Whats the "original" in a Photoshop "work of art"?

The actual zeros and ones file in your C drive? or what?

Michael O'Sullivan: I guess that would mean that the source image was created--and not "appropriated"--by the artist. Or something.

Washington, D.C.: I read about the opera's Family Look-In today and while I love the idea of my eight-year-old sitting attending an opera, how realistic is it that she will enjoy it? Is it truely kid friendly?

Tracy Grant: I think the key word in that item is "excerpts." Your daughter won't be expected to sit through three hours of arias. Kids (and their parents) will see how a scene is staged technically and then will see the scene. It's probably not ideal for a 4-year-old, but an 8-year-old or older who has an interest in the theater or how things work or music should get a lot out of it ... as will the parents, I suspect

Left out: So Richard, did you get invited to that private party with David Byrne at Hemphill Fine Arts last Friday night?Have you interviewed David Byrne recently?I listen to David Byrne radio on the Internet all the dang time at work. I totally love it

Richard Harrington: No. Interviewed David for a spotlight in May, 2004; and about 20 years ago, he came to my house for an interview, only because he was visiting relatives in Columbia over the Christmas holiday and found it convenient. He's actually pretty funny, droll at times, but very sharp and always curious. The show he did at the Birchmere in 2004 was one of the most enjoyable and energetic shows I've seen, just great fun, and longer than many folks expected. Wish he would tour more.

Re: You caught me (us actually)! : Alright, this just bugs me. You could have asked about the art walk without claiming you couldn't find anything online. You could have just said that you promote the arts in Bethesda and would like to see more mention of the arts walk. But no, you went with the fake question strategy.

Michael O'Sullivan: Oh snap. Getting harshed out by a fellow chatter.

washingtonpost.com: Music 101 ( Weekend, Nov. 2)

Washington, D.C.: I'm looking for a good triple date, as in, drinks at one place, followed by dinner at another, followed by dessert and coffee at another. My boyfriend and I haven't explored Arlington or Alexandria as much and we'd love to check out a few places in one night. Do you have any suggestions? It'd be preferable if each place was within walking distance of the next as well. Thanks!

Curt Fields: go to Courthouse/Clarendon ...

do drinks at Gua-Rapo

then walk up the street a few blocks to dinner (several places to choose from (Delhi Dhaba or Boulevard Woodgrill or several others in one direction; Ray's the Steaks or Guajillo in the other.

then dessert ... well, there are spots but I can't name any off hand.

Betheskalorama: We are sorry and we apologize and you have a right to be so upset.

It will not happen again.

Michael O'Sullivan: Better not.

And shouldn't digital mean it's more affordable for the prospective buyer?: I don't think that's really the idea. There is some expense in having a good quality professional photo printer, archival inks and paper. Just as there is expense in chemicals and paper for darkrooms.

Digital when done properly doesn't equal cheap.

Michael O'Sullivan: Another voice in the raging debate.

District: Didn't Rauschenberg get sued a while back over "appropriating" an image (I think it was a magazine ad) that he "incorporated" into one of his paintings?

I think that it's now legal to appropriate bits and chunks of music (like for rap), but is it legal in the visual arts?

Michael O'Sullivan: Good question. Rauschenberg used to not care a bit about where his collaged imagery came from, but since the 1980s, he's been more concerned with copyright, and now uses his own photographs almost exclusively. Not sure if he was actually sued, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Anonymous: Actually, in academic design/illustration training, the term before deconstructionist theory was all a-blaze on the campus (and we are dating ourselves now,because this is pre-Photoshop)but the term wasSWIPE.

Michael O'Sullivan: Yes, stealing is stealing. Don't do it. At least not without proper attribution.

20010: I'm still nursing a bit of a Russia obsession from having seen "Eastern Promises" recently. I was thinking about checking out the Russia House in Dupont for some very interesting-looking vodkas, and I was wondering about the vibe there. The dinner menu looks pretty upscale - do people go and just sit at the bar? What is the dress like?

Eve Zibart: The bar is very popular, and it's a lot of fun, sort of Bondian/Sinatra brat pack/euro-glam/embassy accents and occasionally semi-celebs (of the sports variety). In fact, Wednesday nights there's a piano and lounge singer who will really put you in mind of the Chairman of the Board with a suave accent. Not just vodka on the bill, either -- go slow, some are surprisingly potent! (Of course, you're taking Metro, right?)

Washington, D.C.: Oh my God, Richard you are cooler than I ever knew. David Byrne was at your house? Who else has seen your record collection?

Curt Fields: Richard is far cooler than any of us.

As for who else has seen his record collection, we'll have to save that for next week or another time.

District Queen: What was really so crazy about Jessica making a comment about Bethesda 'art district' is that is says so much about how Jessica views herself in the heirarchy. There is a happening art district in Mt Rainier, and it sprung up on working artist space -- a rare find in this area

Sometimes I feel like Jessica is working too hard to be sassy and pointing out who is "so 10 minutes ago" and she is not here now. Ram Dass where are you when she needs you?

Michael O'Sullivan: Another plug for Mt. Rainier (home of Red Dirt Studios). And another dig at the Style section. Wow. Emotions are high this morning.

Bethesda, Md.: For the Washington mom nervous about bringing her daughter to the opera. I have brought my two children, now ages 9 and 11, to the look-in for three years now. The opera does a great job of interacting with the kids. It always held my kids interest and that is no small feat!

Eve Zibart: Don't you wish someone would re-run those wonderful Leonard Bernstein shows for kids? Maybe we can launch a new classical youth movement...

Washington, D.C.: Sigur Ros -- thanks Richard. You are my guiding light. You should be syndicated. I was e-mailed a link to download it yesterday, knew nothing of them, loved them, love you more-- feel my hug.

Curt Fields: Richard is blushing.

Curt Fields: Thanks for joining us! It was a lot of fun today. Come back again next week!

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

» This Story:Read +|Watch +|Talk +| Comments
© 2007 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity