Monday, Nov. 19, 2:30 p.m. ET

Redskins Post-Game

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Cindy Boren
Washington Post NFL Editor
Monday, November 19, 2007; 2:30 PM

Post NFL Editor Cindy Boren was online Monday, Nov. 19, at 2 p.m. ET to discuss Sunday's Redskins/Dallas game and all the latest Redskins news.

A transcript follows.

Cindy Boren: Welcome! It's a cold, gray Monday, but there are lots of tasty leftovers -- and it isn't even Thanksgiving yet -- from Sunday's game in Dallas. Let's dig in.

Silver Spring, Md.: Even though the Redskins lost, I thought it was the best overall game they played this year. They held there own against a good team, and other then the TO breakdowns probably would have won. Have the Redskins turned a corner this year, and are they still in position to make a run at the playoffs?

Cindy Boren: It may be a stretch to say they've turned a corner, but yesterday's loss I believe will be a significant marker in their development. Jason Campbell took another huge step and, given his tears in the locker room afterward, is becoming a leader. Playoffs? Playoffs? You betcha they're in position to make 'em. They hold key tiebreakers and, in the NFC, 8-8 should get a team in.

Alexandria, Va.: Hi Cindy, Thanks for taking these questions.

I don't know about you, but if it's okay to feel good after a loss, I feel good after this one. The 'Skins played well, Jason Campbell is the goods. They just couldn't quite beat a better team on the day. But if they keep playing like this, they're going to beat plenty of others, don't you think?

Cindy Boren: I'm not a Redskins fan, I'm a jaded, cynical, cranky sportswriter, but I liked what I saw in yesterday's loss. The offense was clicking; they flung it 55 times! Great Spurrier's Ghost!

Glen Allen, Va.: If I were making the picks for Washington in next April's draft I would target these areas (in no particular order):

defensive line

wide receiver

offensive line

Would you agree?

Cindy Boren: Certainly, I'd beef up that defensive line first. The idea all summer was that they didn't need no stinkin' pass rush because of all their terrific safeties. That isn't a bad idea, on paper, but guys get hurt. A vigorous rush yesterday might have turned that game around. I think they need to address the offensive line, get a young cornerstone who'll anchor it and protect JC for the next 10-12 years. Then I'd go for a receiver -- but a taller, heavier one than most of theirs now. So I'd change your order a bit...

Huron, S.D.: Why did Clinton Portis not have more "touches"? He only had 11 carries by the end of the third quarter.

Cindy Boren: Ideally there should be a better mix of passes and runs, but it's tough to criticize the offensive showing yesterday. Go with what's working.

Rockville, Md.: Campbell was crying after the game?

Cindy Boren: According to Redskins players interviewed by Paul Tenorio during the open locker room today, he was. I'm not surprised. I can't remember which game it was last season, but it was early in his tenure as the starter. After a turnover, he was furious on the sideline. The kid appears to burn to win. You have to like that.

In fact, here's a Chris Samuels quote:

"We saw him crying in the locker room and that just shows how much Jason, how much passion he has for the game, how much he loves it. He takes it really hard. And we all encouraged him and told him everybody makes mistakes. Even I had mistakes in the game. You've just got to stay encouraged and let it roll off your shoulders and bounce back."

Gaithersburg, Md.: Yesterday, during the post-game show, Gregg Williams didn't sound as if coaches bear any responsibility (along players) for 4 TO touchdowns. Is it time for him/them to look in the mirror yet?..

Cindy Boren: Silly Gaithersburg. Coaches are responsible only for wins. Players lose games.

Hogwarts: YIKES - You evoked "he who should not be named" Now we are doomed - thanks a lot.

If they keep slinging it and still no "w"'s, how quickly will they go back to pounding the ball. After all, they had great success doing that! What do you attribute to the "open" offense? Trust in JC or a what do we have to lose attitude?

Cindy Boren: Spurrier! Spurrier! Spurrier! I am fearless. As for the Redskins, I think it's a confidence thing. Campbell earns greater trust every week as his comfort zone grows (look at the no-huddle). I think that's what spawned the flinging. I don't think the attitude is "what's there to lose?" at all.

Inquiring Minds Want to Know....: Would love your medical opinion on the health of the blog this week. Seems to have been woefully neglected, registration having a chilling effect, Jasno m.i.a, maybe the least amount of Dallas week excitement evah!

Would it ever be in the cards to get a Steinbog style new media guy to do the blog?

Seems to me that RI has biggest community/users but Caps/Wiz/Nats and Bog are all better examples of what big newspaper sports blogs should be.....

Just sayin...

Cindy Boren: Dallas weeks requires a great deal of effort. We felt it was important to do the Shawn Springs for Sunday and that took a lot of Jason's time.

Will from Rockville: How much was this a turning point/revelation for Jason Campbell having a career-high performance against the Cowboys on the road?

Cindy Boren: It's bigger than big, huger than huge. I think it has to be a really defining point for him. He seems to be the kind of kid who will only remember that he lost, which is a great thing to see if you're waiting for him to become the QB everyone predicted he'd be when he was drafted.

Portland, Ore.: For what would you encourage long-suffering Redskins fans to give especial thanks this week?

Cindy Boren: Hey, Nate! :)

I'd flash back to Game 2 of the preseason, when the Pittsburgh Steelers hit the QB took and give thanks that he has rubber legs.

Raleigh, NC: Right now, the NFC wild cards would be Giants (7-3) and Lions (6-4). Why do you think 8-8 will get anyone in the playoffs?

Also, right now the NFC has won two more games than the AFC so I don't see how 8-8 will get it done.

Cindy Boren: I think the Lions have a tougher road and the Redskins hold that tiebreaker.

Happy about a loss?: Do we owe credit to someone everyone bashes? I mean Joe Gibbs! This team seems to not be far off from being solid, we just need a few more pieces. Is Gibbs II legacy going to be giving the coach that inherits these players and takes them to the playoffs and Super Bowl as he remains Chairman of the Redskins organization?

Cindy Boren: That may well be his legacy, but I'm not ready to make the definitive judgment on Gibbs II yet. I've been critical of how much his head is in the game on Sundays, among other things, but on the blog on game day I've felt like the lone townsperson trying to keep the angry mob from going after Gibbs-enstein. I think there's too much time on the clock to know exactly how this will play out.

Rockville, Md.: Yesterday's game reminded me of "Rocky IV," except that we lost. Campbell and the underdog Redskins go to the media darling Romo and the Cowboys. They weren't supposed to be in the game. The commentating crew was in love with Romo from the opening kickoff. However, by the end, they were praising Campbell and the 'Skins. Now I know we lost the game, but I have so much pride in Campbell and would take him over Romo any day! I look forward to many years of Campbell versus Romo.

Cindy Boren: Oooohhh, I don't know that I'm ready to make that trade yet. But Campbell seems to handle the snap out of the shotgun better! It'll be fun to watch this play out; it should develop into a great rivalry.

Arlington, Va.: I do not want to be negative, but Campbell is getting a lot of praise for effort yesterday. We should be giving the receivers credit. He only completed 61 percent of his passes and his receivers made some great catches on poorly passed balls. What do you think?

Cindy Boren: I think we've all been watching his passes sail on receivers this year and wondering what's going on. They did seem to be better synch-ed yesterday. Which brings us to the next question on Moss....

Chevy Chase, Md.: How much of Moss's performance do you think was inspired by him sitting on the sidelines last week and watching Thrash have a career day against the Eagles? Or do you think he simply realized that Sunday was the day to step up and play? It seems curious to me that two of our biggest stars (Portis and Moss) waited until mid-season to remind us why they are considered to be such exciting players.

Cindy Boren: I think both played into Moss's performance. It's as if he were trying to say, "I hear all this talk about T.O. and the other Moss. I'm here, too!" As for mid-season improvement, both Portis and Moss have had nagging injuries, too.

Potomac: Too bad Sean Taylor missed the game -- I would have enjoyed seeing Marion the Barbarian trample him time and time again. The Redskins secondary was an unmitigated disaster -- did they think they could put Shawn Springs and a few ham and eggers out there to slow down Romo, Witten and TO? In all of the talk about the Redskins WR injuries, let's not forget that Romo has not had Terry Glenn, who was the best Dallas received last year. Thoughts on the rematch?

Cindy Boren: You have to hope Taylor and Glenn are back for that little Dec. 30 engagement at FedEx Field. It should be great fun.

SU: I've had enough with the politically correct answers to questions after losses.

Did you see any of Tony Dungy's press conference yesterday. He was upset after winning by a small margin and his players felt the same way.

When we barely win Gibbs pops the champagne and when we lose we act like it was just for fun and everything is okay.

I'm paying these guys a lot of money (yes me with the ticket prices, cost of food, jersey's, etc...), show some emotion like your slightly upset over losing. It's all monotone voices, "will try to get them next time."

Cindy Boren: There is a definite coachspeak that old-style, er, veteran coaches use because some of them just don't believe in giving away a molecule, an ATOM, of information. Remember, last time around, there were no Internets, no cable, no instant dissection of Gibbs' every utterance. I think he struggles a bit with that. Or perhaps it's the least of his priorities. Couldn't blame him if that were the case.

RE: Campbell: Nice to see everyone heaping praise on the kid but they seem to be forgetting that the dude is a fumble machine. He's either 1 or 2 in terms of most fumbles by a QB.

Also, anyone in the media ask Gibbs when/if he'll ever got for it on 4th and 1?

Cindy Boren: Nobody's saying he's a complete masterpiece at this point. He's still a WIP (work in progress) and the way he carries the ball needs to be addressed.

Rockville, Md.: Cindy,

So at the beginning of the season the defense carried the offense. Now it seems the offense is trying to carry the defense. When are we finally going to get a complete game out of the entire team? If we do, we can be really good.

Cindy Boren: If only I had a crystal ball...I think the answer is that it'll happen when people on both sides of the ball are healthier. Let's see, 1 p.m., Nov. 25 would be a good time to find that balance, right?

Lovin' me some J.C.: Like everyone else, I was greatly encouraged by Campbell's performance yesterday. I just want to point out one small thing -- as the NFC's "IT" boy QB, Tony Romo, I do not think he is much farther along that Campbell.

Campbell is learning to do this with a depleted and tiny group of receivers and not learning to depend on the most talented and biggest, most physical receiver in all of the NFL who is in his prime. (Ala Romo's toss up pass that got picked. What happens when he does that and TO isn't around? Bad habits and all)

This is rambling and sorry about that, but my point is this -- I think JC is learning a better way of playing QB, but Romo's returns are quicker due to having TO to depend on.

Should be a great next decade of 'Skins vs. 'Boys with these two at the helm.

Cindy Boren: Interesting take...I'm not sure I agree with all of your points. But you're right that Romo, T.O. and the offensive staff in Dallas certainly clicked much more quickly, no matter how you divvy up the responsibility among those three parties.

Philly: Everyone might be back Dec. 30, but if the Cowboys lock up home-field advantage for the playoffs (which their game against the Packers might help them do) then will the Cowboys risk starting their stars in Washington especially if the Redskins are playing for a playoff spot?

Cindy Boren: It'll depend on what Wade Phillips' lil buddy on the sideline, that intense guy in the suit, says.

Cindy Boren: That's it for this Monday. Same time, same chat channel next week.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

» This Story:Read +|Watch +|Talk +| Comments
© 2007 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity