What's Cooking With Kim O'Donnel

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Kim O'Donnel
Special to washingtonpost.com
Tuesday, January 15, 2008; 12:00 PM

Calling all foodies! Join us Tuesdays at noon for What's Cooking, our live online culinary hour with Kim O'Donnel.

A graduate of the Institute of Culinary Education (formerly known as Peter Kump's New York Cooking School), Kim spends much of her time in front of the stove or with her nose in a cookbook.

For daily dispatches from Kim's kitchen, check out her blog, A Mighty Appetite. You may catch up on previous transcripts with the What's Cooking archive page.

Kim O'Donnel: Hi folks. The sky here is getting white which makes me wonder if we'll have some snow or something wintry-mixy. Can't complain too much when it's 14 in Chicago and there are countless feet of snow 'round the country. In the blog today, I started a new twice-monthly feature called Spice Rack, offering the 411 on herbs and spices, fresh or dried, and how to use, store, identify, mix n' match. Let me know what you think. I'm here next week (and possibly twice for a veggie hour), but week after that, I'll be away from e-mail, cell phones and traffic for about five days. It's time to recharge, kids. In the meantime, I'm working on af ew goodies for y'all to chew on while I'm gone, including a salsa taste test and an authentic gumbo from my favorite New Orleanian. We've got the Year of the Rat coming up, too. I'm hoping to share a recipe to celebrate the new lunar vibrations. And now let's hear what's on your minds...

Carbonara post: Hi Kim! I love your chats. Your blog post about carbonara made me really hungry! The problem is, my fiance is vegetarian and I don't eat pork. Is there any suitable substitute for the bacon (or at least the smoky flavor) in the recipe so that we could enjoy it too? I imagine we could just leave it out, but I don't know if it would be really bland or if it would be better to sub something in. Thanks!

Kim O'Donnel: My friend LizKel really digs the veggie SmartBacon. I have less experience with it, but perhaps like-minded folks can chime in on its smoky qualities as well as crisp factor.

By the way, for those who missed it:

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity