Celebritology Live: Too Much Brit or Too Much 'Lost'?

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Liz Kelly
washingtonpost.com Celebritology Blogger
Thursday, February 7, 2008; 2:00 PM

When stars shave their heads, couch-jump, spend countless minutes in jail, commit a fashion faux pas and/or other random acts of ego-inspired inanity, washingtonpost.com Celebritology blogger Liz Kelly is on the job. Every weekday, Liz shares the buzz, offers perspective and provides crucial links to juicy alternate news sources and, of course, takes your reaction in her daily blog.

Join Liz LIVE every Thursday at 2 p.m. ET to gab about the latest celebrity pairings (and splittings), rising stars (and falling ones), and get the scoop on the latest gossip making waves across the Web. Oh, and now that the season has kicked off -- we'll talk "Lost" in the last 15 minutes of each discussion

In her pre-celeb obsessed days, Liz ran washingtonpost.com's Discussions section, where she enjoyed talking to really interesting people -- including some Post reporters, Busta Rhymes and Elmo (as in "Tickle Me") -- on the phone. She still produces both Carolyn Hax's advice discussion and Gene Weingarten's Chatological Humor.

Celebritology Live Archive

------------

Liz Kelly: Afternoon Brit chroniclers, 'Lost' watchers, caption contest enthusiasts and herpetologists. All are welcome under the big Celebritology umbrella.

Lots going on today so I think we'll just jump right in. We'll save the final 15 minutes of the show to talk about "Lost" and, when we're done, I'll post some good pre-show reading. Also, a reminder that Jen Chaney and I will again be hosting one of them chat room thingies tonight starting at 8:30 p.m. ET and wrapping up a few minutes after the end of tonight's ""Lost" episode. Despite my initial misgivings, it actually turned out to be a worthwhile accompaniment to the show (along with my glass of shiraz) and helped us to all quickly resolve questions as they arose. So, I'm just sayin' -- if you want to be a super-watcher (to borrow some primary terminology), join us at 8:30. The chat will be available somehwere on the homepage and here at the "Lost" hub.

Maryland: What is going on with white Hollywood and drug overdoses? Anna Nicole Smith, River Phoneix, Heath Ledger, Chris Farley, Anna Nicole Smith's son, etc. And Britney Spears will probably be next. What is going on in that circle that so many get hooked on prescription meds?

Liz Kelly: Yes, there is a drug-laced theme pervading young Hollywood. Hardly nothing new, though, right? I mean we could invoke Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, Natalie Wood...

In the past week or so, though, a few semi-surprising names have scurried into rehab -- Eva Mendes, Kirsten Dunst -- so maybe Heath Ledger's death served as an effective wake-up call.

Scheduling around LOST: Why is this still on Thursdays? Wouldn't Fridays make more sense because of LOST's new time?

Liz Kelly: Listen bub, this chat is first and foremost about celebrities. We just happen to talk about "Lost."

The appropriate venue for Friday discussions of Lost would be the comment thread in the blog following our post-show analysis. See you there!

Nova: Good Afternoon, Liz -- When I was a girl, I joined the Partridge Family Fan Club. Even my juvenile brain understood it was some corporate affair; I never imagined David Cassidy himself was stuffing posters and book covers into envelopes for his little fans.

The latest revelations lead me to believe that the only thing I need to do to get into Britney's life, wallet and medicine cabinet is strap a camera around my neck and hang out at her front gate. I always thought celebrities put more distance between themselves and the rest of the world, that they had professional "handlers" who took care of interactions with press, fans, studios, etc., to fliter out all the wackos, leeches and time wasters. Is Britney an exception, or is my understanding mistaken?

Thanks.

Liz Kelly: Nova, you should know better than to paint all celebs with one broad brushstroke of untouchability. Why, even our society's anointed come in as many sizes, shapes and colors as the rest of us shlubs.

At one end of the spectrum, sure, we have the Angelina Jolies of the world. Or, rather, not of this world because she seems to inhabit some shiny place just out of our reach. At the other, we have Elizabeth Taylor, who married (and later divorced) some average Joe she met at the Betty Ford Clinic. In between there are those, like Robert Duvall and Sissy Spacek, who try to live a private, yet relatively normal life away from Hollywood. And, you even have the ltae Heath Ledger, who was described by his New York neighbors as a quiet guy who liked to wander in and out of neighborhood haunts unharassed.

And then you have Britney, whose propensity for sleeping with the enemy (and you know I use that phrase metaphorically) seems to be tied to her mental illness. She craves at once comfort, excitement, attention and love. What better target on which to fixate than the guy who has been shoving a camera in your face for the past year?

Falls Church, Va.: So I read the bit about Courtney Cox buying Jennifer Aniston a Chanel bike (I know, it's just a rumor). Here's my question: What has Courtney Cox been doing that she has all this money? Wasn't Friends like a million years ago? And didn't her most recent try at relevancy fail miserably? Not to be harsh on CC, but shouldn't Jennifer be giving HER expensive gifts? At least she was once Mrs. Pitt, after all.

Liz Kelly: I'm just gonna throw this out here, but I'd imagine that Courtney Cox (and the rest of the "Friends" cast for that matter) can probably keep everyone they come into contact to in Chanel bikes in perpetuity based on the money they're making from syndication.

Also, she's married to that Hollywood powerhouse David Arquette. Oh, wait...

Jake Gyllen haal: Interesting that both Jake Gyllenhaal's good friend Heath Ledger and his former girlfriend had/have substance abuse issues, yet Jake seems to not have taken that path. Maybe all the biking with Lance and Matthew helped?

Liz Kelly: Yep, I was thinking about that, too. Seems rather coincidental that someone (Kirsten Dunst) who must've spent some time in the same circles as Heath is suddenly seeking treatment for what looks to be a pretty similar problem.

But, good for Kirsten, I say. At least she's seeking help.

And as for spending time with Matthew and Lance, was it not Mr. McConaughey who was busted smoking doob and playing bongoes in his undies in Austin?

Arlington, Va.: I gotta say, I usually read all of your blog entries even if they don't initially look like they'll be very interesting to me, but I won't even bother with today's Britney timeline. It's just too ghoulish at this point.

Liz Kelly: I don't think it's ghoulish so much as finally giving us a complete picture of just how quickly her life has unraveled. Taken separately, a lot of those timeline items were things that made us laugh or caused us to scoff -- the dressing room thing, the panties, even the Mercedes. But taken together, a portrait of a life out of control is hard to deny.

McLean, Va.: Okay, I'm willing to be the cruel, inhuman, bad guy. I wish Britney would die already. I, like many others are sick of hearing about her, and we're not even 'trying' to hear about her. Every time one turns on the TV or picks up a newspaper or magazine, there she is. Enough already! If she croaks, then we'd only have to put up with about one more week of post mortem. So c'mon, girl! Help us out. Stuff up the cracks; turn on the gas. Time to cash in!

You may now all flame away.

Liz Kelly: I'm hesitated to post this because what you're saying is irresponsible and makes you look like a boob. The reason I'm going ahead, tho, is because you are not the only boob out there. I've heard or read this a few times in the past week and I think it's worth exploring.

Yes, celebrity news is largely entertaining. Usually. Yes, it is vapid, light stuff that takes our minds off of the economy, the war, the election, getting the car inspected. Usually.

It is also, sometimes, a reflection of the world in general and so an important barometer to track. I think that's what is going on with Britney. She's not just a pop star -- she's a young woman representative of generations of young women being sexualized and exploited earlier and earlier.

Think I'm over-reacting? Imagine my surprise to find the once pristine and Disney-only Cheetah Girls doing a pretty good impression of the Pussycat Dolls on MTV last week. Or my seven-year-old niece's suprise upon learning that "Zoey 101" was going to be a mom. I think we're seeing -- in an exaggerated, accelerated example -- the dangers of a society that doesn't protect our young.

Sure, Brit may be bonkers and that's exacerbating things, but she's not alone. So we need to be watchful and learn from this.

Trust me -- I understand Britney fatigue. Walk in my shoes, man, I dare you. Brit is with me 24/7. But I'm not ready to be inhuman -- and being human means some discomfort from time to time as we face the good and the bad that our society has to offer.

Washington, D.C.: My dad was a doctor who practiced in Los Angeles before moving to D.C. in the late 60's. One of the reasons that he left was because he was so disgusted by how many celebs he treated who were given whatever prescription drugs they wanted by other docs on the studio payrolls. This is nothing new! These people are never near anyone that says NO to them . It is truly sad, but like you said, an old story!

Liz Kelly: Indeed. And Rocci the producer has been e-mailing back and forth with forensic expert Lawrence Kobilinsky, who says a big concern for celebs, just like anyone else is an addict's obvliousness to his own tolerance and need to take more and more just to maintain.

Herpetologists?: Why? Did that GEICO gecko do something crazy this week? Was he spotted at a nightclub with Paris Hilton?

Liz Kelly: I just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention. You get a gold star.

LA, CA: Liz,

This really is related to celebrities...My cat seems to have an abnormally high IQ. Being that he is an indoor cat, and really smart, he has taken to knocking things over, chewing on things, opening cabinets and doors, etc., to keep himself entertained. Would it be terrible if I tried to find him a talent agent...or has living in L.A. really made me shallow?

Liz Kelly: So you're trying to tell me that knocking things over, chewing on them, etc. are signs of an abnormally high IQ? That might mean Sly Stallone is mensa material -- after all, he's been chewing scenery for decades now.

Washington, D.C.: What is the deal with Katie Holmes? Can she come back after TomKat? Her movie bombed?

Liz Kelly: Brainwashed.
I doubt it.
Yes.

"Friends": The 6 "Friends" were all pulling down a million per episode their last few seasons on the show. Assuming they and their people invested wisely, any of them could even afford to pitch in $35 million of their own fortune in order to run for president, if they so desired.

I do wonder, though, how the actor who played Gunther is doing nowadays.

Liz Kelly: Well, let's fine out...

Liz Kelly: IMDB.com lists his most recent project as a 2005 "Scrubs" episode.

Poor Gunther.

I (heart) Richardson: Did you see how cute and cuddly and adorable Gov. Bill Richardson looked on TV Tuesday night with his new beard? I hope he gets tapped for vice president, so we'd get to see him more often!

Liz Kelly: Cuddly? Bear?

I feel queasy.

Heath Ledger: Nice leap from accidental overdose to hooked on drugs. One does not necessarily mean the other. Not only has this happened and will happen with people more times than we're aware of -- people who are not hooked on drugs -- anyone who had the pleasure of watching this incredible talent is not going to buy into him being in the same class as Anna Nicole.

Liz Kelly: Right. We don't want to lump anyone into anything here today. But most average sleep-deprived people -- even ones who have sought treatment for insomnia -- don't tend to keep oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine close at hand and take them all at once.

So, are we lumping? No. Leaping a little? Maybe.

Ashton Kutcher: Is 30 today. And he's still married to Demi?!

Liz Kelly: Calm yourself. Thirty is the new 25.

Anytown USA: Bravo Liz Kelly! Well put. Sure, it's easy to say Britney should just choke on a sandwich and die but good heavens, is that what our culture has become? What if everyone sent some good karma/vibes her way? What if people around her stopped looking at her with dollar signs floating in their eyeballs (like some Warner Bros. cartoon character) and saw her for what she is -- a train wreck who is in desperate need of help. I, for one, hope that she can get her life back...forget her career...just get her life back. We should think it's tragic, not amusing or entertaining, when someone goes off the rails.

Liz Kelly: Dismissed as coincidence: while reading your comment I started choking on a square of chocolate. Stars, they're just like us!

Seriously, though, you speak the truth. Thanks.

Atlanta, Ga.: The Rolling Stone article on Britney Spears is pretty damning...but didn't they have a half-dressed Britney on the cover at least once? I'm not sure you can have your tart and eat it too.

Liz Kelly: They did. I don't have time to find links now, but I totally remember a tarted up young Brit on that cover at least once.

Washington, D.C.: When is Jennifer Aniston going to move on and into a healthy relationship? I so want to see her happy. I an tired of Bran/Angie's and their tribe.

Liz Kelly: Well, there was the whole Vince Vaughn thing and the Jason Lewis rumors. But, come on, you sound like my Aunt Dolores who was always anxious to make sure everyone was happily paired off and on the road to child-bearing -- maybe Jen's enjoying a little time alone.

Washington, D.C.: What is going on with the writers' strike?

Liz Kelly: Word on the street is that it is coming to an end. Though that didn't stop Vanity Fair from canceling their annual post Oscar party.

Maybe Rocci can find a link to todays' Style article written by two staffers lamenting the loss.

Jake Gyllenhaal: Ever time I've seen him interview he talks about fitness stuff he's doing. Like he gets off on exercise.

The last time I saw Kirsten Dundst interviewed she was talking about all her smoking and drinking and acting like it was the greatest thing. As annoying as it was to hear about it, I felt sorry her, actually. Listening to an adult talk about their excessive partying like it's cool is just sad. Like she was still trying impress the high school age crowd.

Liz Kelly: It's a little uncanny how this chat always seems to come back to Jake.

Britney:: Liz -- I still don't understand how Britney was released from the hospital if the order was thru Feb 14, the doctor disagreed with her release, and her dad has legal and financial conservatorship? The hospital seems the best place for her. Help me out here with how this happened...

Liz Kelly: From what I can gather, Brit's release was ordered by a court-appointed monitor who was well within his or her rights to make the determination that Brit is not a danger to herself or others.

One lawyer, who has been quoted all over the place today (because he makes some sense) said: "This is when law and medicine collide, when a lawyer can override a doctor?¿¿s opinion."

And tho I'm no fan of mom and pop Spears, I think they did the right thing going on record with this statement:

"As parents of an adult child in the throes of a mental health crisis, we were extremely disappointed this morning to learn that over the recommendation of her treating psychiatrist, our daughter Britney was released from the hospital that could best care for her and keep her safe," the statement read.

"We are deeply concerned about our daughter's safety and vulnerability and we believe her life is presently at risk. There are conservatorship orders in place created to protect our daughter that are being blatantly disregarded. We ask only that the court's orders be enforced so that a tragedy may be averted."

And, considering that she immediately hooked back up with Adnan Ghalib and started speaking in a British accent as soon as she exited the hospital, well, it appears Brit's picking up right where she left off on Jan. 31.

Nova, again: Yes, you are right, I should not paint all celebs with the same brush.

However, those who are not too mentally ill to come up with a rational thought would be wise to attempt the relatively quiet life (a la Spacek and Duvall) or enlist the help of professionals to handle the necessary interactions that their celebrity-hood entails. I'm thinking not just of their personal safety but their careers -- sometimes less (exposure) is more. Time to adjust to the realities of the Internet and 24/7/365 news cycle.

I'd rather read Celebritology every day to laugh at the foibles when there is a chink in the armor with which they surround themselves (Lorraine's fashion fur pax) than watch a lovely young woman dissemble in real time.

Liz Kelly: Oh, ho ho, I can promise you that not many will agree with you on taking more Lorraine and less Brit.

But, to your point, you're asking celebrities -- who are inherently, necessarily vain -- to shun the spotlight en masse? Not going to happen.

I swear this is true:: I was wandering around CVS over the weekend waiting for my prescription and found, on the clearance aisle, a box of Trimspa with Anna Nicole's picture on it. Is that eBay-worthy?

And speaking of...so nice of Larry Birkhead taking Danilynn to her mom's grave with camera crew in tow. Just when you think you think people can't get any lower..

Liz Kelly: I think that by now we've all learned that there is no bottom. Things, and people, can always get lower. Yep, that's right -- looks like Larry Birkhead is a tool. Which finally makes sense considering that Anna Nicole seemed to exclusively surround herself with people looking to step on her neck to achieve their own ends.

Union Station, D.C.: Sly tends to incinerate the scenery more often than he chews it. And RS did have Mizz Spears on the cover once. Kind of a low point for them.

And hey, Caps on top of the SE!

Liz Kelly: Go Caps!

And, re: RS -- well, they're a struggling print publication like any other, out there trying to sell mags.

Washington, D.C.: Is Angelina Jolie really pregnant or simply having fun with the media?

Liz Kelly: Honestly, I'm not believing it until we hear it directly from Angie or Brad.

Woodbridge, Va.: If a loser like Osama Lutfi can basically take over Britney's life and finances in a matter of weeks, what does that say about the security of celebs. Why bother with bodyguards if these are her "friends."

Liz Kelly: Again, I wouldn't call Brit representative of celebs and their general stability, security or standard operating procedures. She's definitely strayed from the official "I'm a Celeb" manual.

Methinks: Hey Liz~

How about the news that the Spice Girls World Tour and Extravaganza had to be called off because the gals, who couldn't even sell out a concert hall in Buenos Aries, were busy with their own projects? I thought that was priceless. And then Posh had the cojones to stand up and say, "It was me...I needed to tend to my fashion dynasty. That's why the Spice Girls had to stop touring." What a piece of work.

Do they honestly think anyone believed that drivel?

And you can have your moccasins, Liz. I wouldn't want to have to read all the stuff/drivel you have to sort through every day. But I'm glad you do it so I don't have to! Bless your heart.

Liz Kelly: Awww, thanks Methinks. Though it could be worse. I could, you know, be Dan Froomkin or something.

As for the Spice Girls, if that's what they had to say to preserve their illusion of relevancy, well, I won't begrudge them a little creative spinning. I guess I just love Posh that much.

Arlington, Va.: OMG! I (heart) Richardson too! He reminds me of John Belushi in "Animal House." Maybe we could start a club...

Liz Kelly: Maybe you could meet next door to the Ahmajinedad is Hot club.

Arlington, Va.: Didn't Natalie Wood drown?

And Courtney Cox has "Dirt" going into its second season.

Liz Kelly: Yes, Natalie Wood drowned -- but I believe she's believed to have been tipsy at the time, yes?

The other Brit:: Have we been able to confirm or deny if Brittany Murphy is in fact pregnant? The 2 pics posted on consecutive days are sure confusing me and I need clarification, oh guru of celeb news!

Liz Kelly: No, I don't think she's pregnant. I think she's put on a teensy bit of weight (in both her midsection and her lips), so it's throwing us off.

You have no idea how close I came to posting a gallery of Brittany Murphy at Fashion Week photos, just to track her oddball trajectory through the week.

Washington, DC: If I could channel the great Gene Weingarten I'd say; "You said boob."

Liz Kelly: Nothing gets past you.

Speaking of drugs: is Whitney off crack yet? She was such a talented person before Bobby turned her to drugs. I usually stay out of the star watch, but am really pulling for her to get clean. What. A. Loss.

Liz Kelly: She's supposedly struggling to stay clean while completing her comeback album. Or that was the last I heard. Anyone have an update?

Fortaleza, Brazil: I'm don't believe Elvis is coming back, but could (the supposedly late) Sam Kinison actually be living in Brazil and working under the name Ednardo (Sam Kinison Look-alike?)?

Liz Kelly: My, he does bear a striking resemblance. Right down to the backwards cap. I think a thorough investigation, though, will require some translation work from my Brazilian attache.

Liz Kelly: Okay, I've heard back from my Brazilian specialist Genilson Brandao, who managed to glean that the man pictured is one "Ednardo"

A musician from the northeastern Brazilian state of Cear??, which is famous for its particular brand of Brazilian folk music ?¿" frevo e maracatu. Apparently, Ednardo was a big hit in this year's Carnaval festivities in Fortaleza, the capital of Cear??.

No mention is made of his obvious rip off of Kinison's shtick, but Genilson and I will endeavor to make contact and get a quote.

Lake Ridge, Va.: I completely agree with you regarding the Boobs of the world who would wish anyone to cause their own death. That being said, I do hope since as you say, young girls and women look at Britney and Lilo, etc., as role models, that they are held closely accountable for their actions. It's okay to make bad choices -- it's a part of growing up. It's not okay to make bad choices and have the "powers that be" look the other way. I hope losing control of her estate, the loss of her children and the rest of the consequences of Britney's bad choices continue to be plastered on the headlines so that my 13-year-old daughter as well as your niece see that bad things happen when you try and write your own rules.

Liz Kelly: Right on. And it'd be nice if another side effect was the entertainment biz's moving away from promoting these girls as underage sex symbols.

Occoquan, Va.: Courtney Cox also does a lot of international product endorsements... she's the "face" of Kinerase (fabulous and expensive skincare line for women), for example.

Liz Kelly: Good to know.

Seattle, Richardson Country: Most of the women I know think he's cute too, and he'll be a great Veep for Obama.

Now he can do a beard RIGHT.

Liz Kelly: As opposed to... one Matthew Fox?

(Speaking of which, we switch gears to "Lost" in five mins)

Brit's first RS cover link: Britney: Rolling Stone, Sept. 9, 2003

Liz Kelly: Ah, thank you. Though to be fair, she was 22 in 2003, so we can't be too hard on RS.

New York: Does this convenient "accidental overdose" (of drugs, by a drug addict -- there is a video, you know) diagnosis mean Ledger's family can collect on life insurance policies? Isn't that a remarkable abuse of the system on behalf of the uber-rich?

Liz Kelly: I don't know. I don't think anyone's quite gone there yet.

Philadelphia, Pa.: "But most average sleep-deprived people -- even ones who have sought treatment for insomnia -- don't tend to keep oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine close at hand and take them all at once." Actually, I do know people who have frighteningly similar mixes on hand -- they tried something once and it didn't work, but they didn't toss the medication, etc. And when people are exhausted but can't sleep, they often just grab whatever's handy and if it doesn't work they'll move on to the next item. I know people who trade around medication to see if what someone else's doctor prescribes will help them sleep, and when others would point out how dangerous that is they would brush off the concerns. Even if it's something prescribed, people tend to think it's some magical device that will only switch them off so they can sleep -- if it doesn't work, that means they need to take another, or try something new. So they move to the next pill to see if it works. They treat them similar to the way most people treat throat lozenges(which are also generally abused). Maybe now they won't, but, yeah, I can easily see it happening for a number of people.

Liz Kelly: Okay, but you have to realize that anyone who trades meds or starts combination experiments has to realize there is a very real risk being taken.

And, trust me, as a girl who takes hydrocodone every night (on doc's orders) I'm well versed with some of the heavier stuff out there.

But, your point is a good one -- sleep deprivation is no joke and someone might take almost anything in the hopes of just finally getting some sleep.

(Speaking of which, we switch gears to "Lost" in five mins) : WHY? Isn't having a Lost chat tonight enough?

Liz Kelly: I hope that guy who wrote in at the beginning of the show is seeing this.

Dan Froomkin Slam: Oooooh that hurt! I am a regular on this chat and have known Dan Froomkin since our mutual childhoods. What you said was mean! Booo!

Liz Kelly: I was SO kidding. I love love love Dan. I was just having a little fun at his expense and trying to communicate that covering the White House on a daily basis would be like a death sentence for me.

LA, CA: Hey, Sly made some money off his stupidity so maybe my cat can too...my point was he is bored so he is destroying the place and I need to figure out a productive way to utilize his boredom...

Liz Kelly: Okay, I'll give you a serious answer.

Either,

a: Take the time to see if his energy is harnessable. Meaning can you actually train him to use his powers on command.

or,

b: Get him a companion. Another cat will keep him occupied.

Rolling Stone 1999?: Hang on -- That RS story was posted in 2003, but in the first couple of paragraphs it calls her "the seventeen-year-old singer" and refers to her album being "1999's best-selling pop album so far." So I think we 'can' blame Rolling Stone.

Oh yes. If you scroll all the way down, it says it was the April 15, 1999 issue.

Liz Kelly: My bad. Thanks for the catch.

Austin:

Ms. Liz:

Matt McConaughy was not in his undies when arrested for smokin' doob and pounding bongos. He was, as my mother would say, "In all his glory."

Liz Kelly: An important distinction.

Lost on the Olympic Penninsula: Was that Drunk Daddy Shepard that Hurley saw in the Cabin? Is he still dead, or was he so well preserved that the island ressurected him? What do you think are the chances that when Jack talked about him in the present tense in his Flash-Forward, he really wasn't making a mistake?

Liz Kelly: Yes, that was indeed Christian Shephard occupying the chair in what we had been referring to as Jacob's Cabin.

One interesting sidenote -- in an interview with Jorge Garcia (Hurley) posted today on EW, Garcia says that when the scene was filmed he was told he would see an image of himself dressed in a hospital gown in the chair. The writers obviously changed direction after telling him that. Or, purposely misled him.

RS article: This is really sad.

"I know how to drink," says Britney. "Me and my mom will have a glass of wine together, and that's fine. Kids are gonna drink, and the more you say, `Don't do it,' the more they're gonna want to do it." She has, she confesses, never been inebriated. "I stop before that happens. I just sit there and go all quiet, because I hate to lose control."

Liz Kelly: I guess she got over that, eh?

Georgetown, Washington, D.C.: Your obsession with Britney Spears (a la today's post) is reaching weird proportions.

Liz Kelly: Oh stop. Really? Come on... she is THE story of the year.

LOST Season 4: Hurley's line near the end of the episode was a beautiful set-up for the entire season. In one sentence he laments both the division into two camps and leaving the island. At the end of the episode, those are contradictory positions; the season's underlying tension will be how those positions are reconciled.

Liz Kelly: As I understand it, we'll have that line drawn even more clearly tonight.

Liz Kelly: Courtesy sometime guest blogger Lisa Todorovich, a slew of Brit RS covers:

One
Two
Three
Four
Five

Matthew McConaughey: Why does he refuse to wear deodorant? I don't know how even he could stand his own smell. Someone needs to stage an intervention. Stat!

Liz Kelly: He could at least use one of those deodorant crystal things that are supposed to be non-toxic and effective.

Sam Kinison Look-Alike: Well kinda except this guy ain't as fat as a toad.

Liz Kelly: It's possible he could've lost weight during his self-imposed exile.

Who ELSE gets off the island?: Everyone's wondering who the Oceanic 6 are... My supplemental question is, do you think anyone will get off the island who was not on the flight? They would not be in the O6. I could see Desmond, Juliet, and perhaps Alex and Karl getting off without counting among the 6. (I hope Desmond does, he is one of my favorites!) However I doubt Ben, Rousseau, or Richard Alpert would leave.

Liz Kelly: That is a fabulous question because I really see Juliet making it off the island. Her entire back story last year was about her desire to get back home to her sister and niece. But, the name in itself implies that the six survivors were folks on the plane's manifest. I suppose, though, that someone could always assume one of the dead passengers' identities.

Lost chat: Can't you just do a special Lost chat every week? If we have to chat about Lost every Celebritology, I may have to find a new favorite chat.

Liz Kelly: I'm floating the idea to my boss lady. We'll see what she says because trying to accomplish both ends in one chat is really not doing either well.

Ledger Video: Why is it that young Hollywood has closed ranks to prevent the release of the video showing Ledger taking drugs? The video of Tom Cruise talking about Scientology is all over the place, but this gets deep-sixed? Last night on Larry King Live two of the entertainment correspondents wouldn't even discuss what is on the tape in detail for fear they will be blacklisted. It seems to me that this veil of secrecy is what perpetuates drug use in Hollywood these days.

Liz Kelly: I wouldn't go that far. I think Hollywood -- and it wasn't just young Hollywood -- banded together to keep this tape under wraps out of respect to a fallen comrade and out of compassion to his family. I just can't fault that. I don't know that seeing a tape of him talking about his drug use philosophy would do much to dissuade anyone from partying.

Omaha, Neb.: If anyone gets a chance, read the Rolling Stone article that we were kindly linked to. It's really trippy, in light of all the recent events. Brit wanting to be a "role model" to keep kids off drugs and how the national press romantically links her to Lance Bass, just for starters.

Liz Kelly: We will, thanks for the rec.

Dan Froomkin Slam again: I'm guessing he would say the same about covering your beat. So it's good that the two of you have found work that you love and excel at.

Liz Kelly: My point exactly.

On that note, I'm out of here. Again, I'll be back tonight at 8:30 ET for tonight's "Lost" chat along, see the link at the top of this page.

And, as promised, here's a little light reading for Lost-o-philes: EW.|

Jes: Is Richard Alpert even alive? The statements Ben has made make me wonder.

'You remember birthdays don't you Richard?' and 'Every LIVING person on this island will die'

Liz Kelly: Good point -- Ben's inclusion of the word "living" in that statement is definitely a clue of some kind. Okay, now I'm really done.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity