Transcript

HD DVD/Blu-ray War

Phillip Swann
President and CEO, TVPredictions.com
Friday, February 22, 2008; 1:00 PM

Phillip Swann, president and CEO of TVPredictions.com, was online Friday, Feb. 22 at 1 p.m. ET to discuss Toshiba's announcement that it will stop making HD DVD players and recorders, and its impact on the industry.

The transcript follows.

Naples: Will there be in-home Blue-Ray DVD recorders on the market?

Phillip Swann: Blu-ray companies are dubious about the potential for high-def DVD recorders in the U.S. They point to the disappointing sales for standard-def DVD players and wonder if it would be any different for HD.

However, I think you'll see a Blu-ray recorder in the next year or so. (They are already available in Japan.)

Manasas Park, Va.: Since the defeat of HD DVD, can you say, "Blu-Ray is the best." At least give some respects to the best.

Phillip Swann: Blu was "best" at winning. Whether it's politics or consumer electronics, "best" doesn't always win.

That said, the picture quality was roughly the same for both formats. HD DVD had a few more interactive features while Blu-ray has more storage.

Kansas City, Mo.: With Microsoft's support of HD DVD. Any comments on what their position will be now that HD DVD is going away?

Phillip Swann: I think they will continue to push digital downloads via the XBox 360. Some believe that Microsoft's intent from the beginning was to prolong the high-def format war so they could buy more time to develop the download business.

Green Bay, Wis.: For the guy like me who's not a total movie buff or electronics geek, does it make much sense to go to BlueRay, or just simply get one of the up-leveling DVD players with the HDMI cable to make my DVD collection look more HD? Is there that much of a difference? For those of us who have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars building a DVD collection, the thought of having to buy all new discs is a deterrent to upgrading...

Phillip Swann: If I had to rate the picture quality, with Blu-ray being a 10, the upconverting DVD player is a 6 and a standard-def DVD player is a 4.

In other words, if picture quality matters to you, the high-def DVD player is the way to go.

New York City: I have a DVD player. I rent from Netflix. If I receive Blue Tooth DVDs from Netflix, will the new DVD play on my machine?

Phillip Swann: No, you need a Blu-ray player to play Blu-ray discs. However, the standard-def DVD that you now use will play on a Blu-ray player -- and the Blu-ray's "upconverting" feature will improve its picture.

Lorton, Va.: The HD DVD format and format war may have been an attempt to thwart the adoption of a new physical medium to replace DVD by Toshiba. As the major beneficiary of DVD royalties, Toshiba stands to lose hundreds of millions of dollars if DVD is replaced with something they aren't intrinsically involved with.

Do you think that this may be part of the reason for the format war... and do you think that they succeeded in allowing Blu-ray a chance at mass adoption?

Thanks, Paul

Phillip Swann: That conspiracy theory has been floated by some, but I think Toshiba was excited about the potential of being the king of the new high-def DVD industry.

Alexandria, Va.: If Blu-Ray became the format of choice, would the owners of regular DVDs be eventually stuck with a movie collection that was of no use to them, or are the new types of players designed to also play the standard format as well as the new version?

Phillip Swann: Blu-ray players can play standard-def DVDs -- and as I noted earlier, the picture will be better. So don't worry -- your DVD collection would still be valuable.

Forestville, Md.: Phil--

Greetings from your friends at McNamara High School. We remember you as the clutch outfielder from the 70's baseball team coached by Jack Cheseldine.

Congratulations on your success and Go Mustangs!

Phillip Swann: I'm flabbergasted. If I only I hadn't ruined my elbow...:)

Anonymous: hold it! I don't think my DVD player is high def, but it did/does have some type of function that enhances regular DVD play (it really makes for a good picture on my non-HD TV). For some reason I now recall a HD 1080 sticker and definite spot for a HD cord. I know for sure it is not blu-ray.

I am starting to wonder if I lost out on this issue. do both of these system play non HD DVDs? Am I safe to assume base DVDs will continue to be produced?

Phillip Swann: Blu-ray and HD DVD players can both play standard-def DVDs.

Glen Burnie, Md.: What is Microsoft's loss in the death of hd-dvd?

Phillip Swann: Microsoft invested considerable money -- and prestige -- on HD DVD. However, the company has money to burn and now will simply fall back on its strategy to promote digital downloads.

Edgemoor, Md.: Hi, When do you think we'll see a DVD player offered that provides BluRay high definition to at least 1080i over component connections? What about a player that upgrades standard DVDs to at least 1080i through component connections? Is there any effect on this issue from the closing of competition for BluRay?

Phillip Swann: Upconverter DVD players will improve the image of your standard DVDs, but companies that produce them tend to overestimate their value. The picture is better, but not real 1080i HD.

Mooresville, N.C.: In December 2007 I purchased from BUY.DIG.COM what SEEMED to be a bargain Toshiba DR-550 DVD Recorder with Digital TV Tuner and DVD Upconversion. This was after much research and difficulty sorting out features of various models. NOW I find that the Toshiba will be useless insofar that it will not play Blu-Ray format! Can a case be made that deceptive advertising was at play, and I was sold obsolete technology?

Phillip Swann: No, unfortunately not. Toshiba's answer is that people knew that HD DVD could go out of business at some point -- plus the player can still be used to play old HD DVD discs and standard-def DVDs.

DC: Considering Moore's Law, what do you suspect the will be the life cycle of Blu Ray? Seems the gap between VHS and DVD, then DVD and Blu Ray has gotten shorter. Of the emerging technologies out there, what's next? Or will there ultimately be a more digital paradigm that foregos any physical media?

Phillip Swann: I think the digital download industry will try to defeat Blu-ray -- and there will be a serious battle. But I believe that Blu-ray will emerge victorious and will remain a solid performer for the next several years.

Fairfax, Va.: Sony lost the Betamax vs. VHS war. Sony's Beta technology was superior to JVC's VHS in everything but recording time. Sony has won the Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD war. Toshiba's HD-DVD technology was superior to Blu-ray in everything but disk data size. I find this very ironic.

Phillip Swann: I wouldn't say that HD DVD's technology was superior, but I would say that the individual merits of each player was not a major factor in who won the war. Blu won because the studios, including Blu's chief backer, Sony, decided to line up behind it. Without studio support, HD DVD was a long shot from the get-go.

Vienna, Va.: Hello: this had nothing to do with the consumers as both formats are essentially the same performance wise.

Therefore, how much of this format war was won because of Sony working the retailers and studios in convincing them that they could only make higher margins by selling a higher priced product and content?

ie

Phillip Swann: You got it -- Sony and Blu won because they secured the support of four major studios when this thing started. HD DVD had only one studio exclusively supporting it.

That created a pretty good home field advantage for Blu.

Baltimore, Md.: I've read some postings saying that right now is actually a better time to buy a HD DVD player than Blu-Ray.

The logic goes that Blu-Ray is expensive, and all non-PS3 Blu-Ray players will be obsolete in a couple of years. HD DVD players, on the other hand, are really cheap, and if nothing else are still great upconverters. And there are something like 800 HD DVD titles that will soon be at fire sale prices.

Do you agree with any of this?

Phillip Swann: Amazon has been selling a HD DVD player for around $117 -- cheaper than most upconverting DVD players. If you want a cheap upconverter player, go for it.

Ocala, Fla.: Does it really matter? Given the facts that upscaled DVDs are excellent, and downloads and streaming are becoming more practical make Blu-Ray increasingly irrelevant?

Phillip Swann: I disagree that downloads are becoming more practical -- that's just propaganda from the tech world. The average American does not have the patience or technical skill to use a download service at home, such as Apple TV, Vudu or even XBox 360's service. Plus, download times are usually too long (sometimes hours for a high-def movie) and the picture quality is sub-par to what you see on a Blu-ray or HD DVD disc.

Manassas, Va.: What do you think will happen with the prices of Blu-Ray DVD players? There is now no incentive to lower the prices now because HD DVD players are going away. I assume the prices will go down at some point, but when?

Phillip Swann: Contrary to popular opinion, Blu-ray makers have a tremendous incentive now to lower prices this year, culminating in a $199 player this holiday season. Because of the format war, high-def disc players are in less than 2 million homes. Blu-ray has to make up for lost ground -- and fast. Lower prices is the way to do it.

Glen Burnie, Md.: Why didn't Sony and Toshiba unify the disc format before they came to market, like reg dvd?

Phillip Swann: They had several meetings to reach a single format compromise, but talks broken down. I'm sure both sides wish they hadn't.

Mt. Airy, Md.: I remember the awe of seeing my first DVD and how much of an improvement it was over VHS. Is Blu-ray going to give me that same sensation, or will it be more of a yawn?

Phillip Swann: If you have a high-def TV, think about the first time you saw your favorite show or movie in HD.

Blu-ray will give you that same experience.

Guadalajara, Mexico: If the quality of both formats look the same (I saw a comparison between both formats of the same picture)

And the cost of Toshiba's format was cheaper.

And inevitably Blu-ray will be substituted for the formats in wich some are working on now (may in no more than 5 years)

Why Blu-ray is better? Why bother? Would not be a better bet to wait with our beloved DVDs and wait for the next format ?

Thank you.

Phillip Swann: Again, if you love the HD picture, you'll love Blu-ray -- compared to a regular DVD.

Mooresville, N.C.: Thanks for your answer, but re: "Toshiba's answer is that people knew that HD DVD could go out of business at some point." Many of us among the techno-proletariate DID NOT KNOW THAT - especially within 30 days after purchase.

Phillip Swann: Like I said, that's Toshiba's answer.

Washington, D.C.: How did the industry let this happen? Didn't anyone learn anything from Betamax versus VHS? The Consumer Electronics Association has an active standards division-- why didn't they force the industry to a single standard decision before these competing formats hit the marketplace and dragged the whole pre-recorded media industry down?

Phillip Swann: The Consumer Electronics Association can't force companies to take action, nor can anyone else for that matter. But there was pressure from the industry to create a single format before the two formats were launched. But internal egos and financial pressures kept that from happening.

Fairfax, Va.: How does this movie download system work? How long would it take to download a 2-hour film via DSL? And how much space would it take up on a hard drive? And what if the computer is not connected to a tv?

Phillip Swann: Depending upon the speed of your DSL connection, it could take up to eight hours to download a high-def 2-hour movie.

Herndon, Va.: I saw a fascinating story [ here] that agreed with you about the inevitability of Blu-Ray winning because of studio backing, but went further to state the studios didn't want to back HD-DVD because they didn't want to get stuck using Microsoft proprietary codecs. Do you concur?

Phillip Swann: I think that was a factor, but not the most important one.

arlington, va.: With the HD DVD competition gone, do you see Blu-ray prices stagnating if not rising slightly? HD DVD was already going at a fraction the cost of Blu-ray. If HD DVD had "won" I would have gone out and purchased a sub-$200 player the next day. Now that Blu-ray has "won" I'm probably months away (maybe winter holidays 2008) from getting a player because I don't see them going sub-$200 anytime soon. How long do I have to wait for that sub-$200 player?

Phillip Swann: I think you'll see it this holiday season.

Philips is introducing a $349 Blu-ray player in March.

Edgemoor, Md.: This is a follow up to my earlier question. You really didn't address the use of component connections for BluRay and upgrade machines. My set is an older 1080i high definition set that has no HDMI connections.

Phillip Swann: You can use Component cables to connect your Blu-ray or HD DVD player.

Rockville, Md.: OK - I am still not sure what my situation is. I have a standard DVD player and a standard (notHD) TV. I rent movies from Netflix. As I understand it, Netflix is going to all BluRay DVDs.

Do I need a new DVD player? Do I need a new TV?

Thanks

Phillip Swann: NetFlix is phasing out HD DVD -- but it will carry both standard-def DVDs and Blu-ray players. You don't need a new TV or DVD player for the standard-def DVDs you now rent from Netflix. If you want to rent Blu-ray discs, you'll need a Blu-ray player.

Anonymous: I agree entirely with your point that downloads are a very long way off -- I don't see how it can happen until we have major penetration of high speed internet connections in this country, which doesn't seem likely to happen for some time!

Nevertheless, its not clear that Blu-Ray is going to be successful in the mean time, because its more expensive (both disks and players) and so many people, I get the impression, seem happy enough with regular DVDs -- even people who purchased HDTVs?

Any comment?

Mark

Phillip Swann: I agree that Blu-ray has a long road ahead before it replaces the regular DVD. However, keep in mind that the studios are in control here -- they can determine which films are released on which formats. Eventually, they will start releasing movies on Blu-ray only, which will encourage sales of new Blu-ray players.

Washington, D.C.: While people think that this war was about consumers, in the end it was about the studios that make the movies. In other words, more studios joined the blu-ray camp in the beginning because of blu-ray's DRM and because it was harder to copy than HD-DVD. Also, wouldn't you say that the war was really won by the PS3 as the Trojan Horse for Blu-Ray?

Phillip Swann: The Play Station 3 was an important factor in Blu-ray's success. Sony decided to put a Blu-ray player in each PS3 -- and the gamble paid off.

Washington, D.C.: i find all of this really depressing. we have hundreds of dvds, the old-fashioned kind that replaced our video cassettes. must we buy and hoard dvd players to use when we are old. because i don't really feel like converting everything again, thank you

Phillip Swann: I don't see regular DVDs going away anytime soon, but that day will come.

Manassas, Va.: Along with the long download time, doesn't one have to watch a downloaded movie within 24 hours of the download being complete, or some term like that? From what you said, the picture of the Blu-ray DVD is better that the downloaded version, and you can watch all you want. Of course the DVD costs more.

Phillip Swann: Yes, downloads also have restrictions for when you can watch the film after you order it.

Vienna, Va.: Blu Ray supports higher bit rates (and hence higher resolution) than broadcast HDTV. Will Blu Ray discs of network shows like 24 and Lost look significantly better than the broadcast versions of the shows?

Phillip Swann: That's a good question -- it depends on the show and how the Blu-ray disc was replicated. In some cases, it's definitely better.

Columbia, Md.: I have a slightly older HDTV that has a maximum HD resolution of 720p or 1080i. Will Blu-ray improve picture over conventional DVD players? I know that the Blu-ray can achieve 1080p. Also, I do not have an HDMI input (has a DVI instead). It also has component inputs. What would be the best way to set it up? Thanks.

Phillip Swann: As noted earlier, you can use Component cable to connect a Blu-ray player to your HDTV.

Washington, D.C.: Will we see "affordable" (read under $200) BluRay players in the near future?

Sony is notorious for overpricing its products, and the other companies that have the rights to produce players (Samsung and LG) are also on the high end of the electronics spectrum. I worry that while industry experts expect the prices to fall dramatically, the prices will remain stable because the low-end manufacturers will not be given the rights to produce players.

Phillip Swann: Sony is not the only maker of Blu-ray player. There are several including, Philips, Samsung, Panasonic, etc.

Prices will come down this year slow but sure -- and then hit the sweet spot (sub-$200) during the 2008 holidays.

Rapid City, S.D.: Thanks for the info. So if I have a standard DVD player and a high-def TV, should I buy a (possibly discounted ) Hi def DVD, or wait for the BluRay prices to come down ?

Phillip Swann: Depends on your budget and your viewing habits, If you love movies, you can buy a Blu-ray player now online for a little more than $300. That's not that much more than what you would pay for an upconverting DVD player.

Bethesda, Md.: A background question:

We all know that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will look their best at 1080p resolution. Agreed.

However, the vast majority of HD TV's are 720p, 1080i resolution. A small percentage are actually 1080p.

Do the question: will HD-DVD or Blu-Ray look better than a high-quality, upconverting standard DVD player on a 720p, 1080i HD set?

Or, to see any difference at all between standard DVD and the ultra high quality formats, do you need to buy a 1080p HD set?

Thanks.

Phillip Swann: Yes, a Blu-ray player will look better than an upconverter DVD player on a 720p or 1080i set -- much better, in fact, on a larger-screen (46 inches and above.)

Washington, D.C.: It was commented, even more after Warner's announcement, that the longest the war would last the more the online movie rentals/purchasing would gain. Would the Toshiba announcement could have been rush more than some might have expected not just to save what they could but because in the long run (expecting them to be not so far in the future also manufacturers of blu-ray devices) would've meant less profit for them?

Phillip Swann: Toshiba decided to end the HD DVD business because it could not see any way of succeeding at this point. The company had already spent hundreds of millions on HD DVD -- it wasn't about to throw any more down the rat hold.

Glen Burnie, Md.: Just a comment. Thank god now i can soon buy a blu ray movie from Universal or Paramount. I'm glad the war is now over. It's about time. And sorry for all the people getting stuck with the HD-DVD players. I was stuck with the beta movies from before. and Laser disc.

Phillip Swann: I do feel bad for the HD DVD owners (including me; I bought Blu and HD DVD players). I believe that Toshiba should reach out to them by offering discounts on other products, particularly if it decides to manufacture Blu-ray players in the future. It would be in the best interest of the company -- and the industry as a whole. You don't want consumers becoming even more hesitant to try a new product in the future.

Baltimore, Md.: Maybe this is a question for another chat, but what do you know about DirecTV's new VOD service?

Phillip Swann: It's still in Beta. They are rolling it out region by region. Very little HD at this point. Mostly standard-def TV shows and movies.

Burke, Va.: How about the prices of discs? Will we see Blu-Ray disc prices get to the $15-$20 range for new releases any time soon? Also, will Blu-Ray be offering a combo format with movies in standard DVD like HD-DVD?

I would start buying Blu-Ray/DVD combo discs right now even though I don't have a Blu-Ray player to stay ahead of the game, but I'm not going to buy a Blu-Ray player, and thus Blu-Ray only discs, until they reach a reasonable price point (under $200).

Phillip Swann: I think disc prices will also fall, but more slowly than player prices.

The big breakthrough in discs this year will be that your local video store will be more likely to carry Blu-ray movies. Consequently, you'll be able to rent them instead of having to buy them.

Saint Albans, W.Va.: Now that HD/DVD has thrown in the towel how will this effect pricing for Blu-ray technology. No competition may mean prices will either stay or go higher for this technology. What is your opinion?

Phillip Swann: Blu-ray makers say the technology is improving, which will soon enable them to manufacture the players at less cost. This will help drive down the cost of Blu players this year.

Norfolk, Va.: Since both formats proved to deliver a great HD picture and I have both formats but like the HD format because more had feature like picture in picture commentary. What are the chances that anymore movies will go on the HD format and for how long since all have decided on using the Blu-Ray format? Has there been any dates set that no more movies will be put on the HD format?

Phillip Swann: All the major studios have now endorsed Blu-ray. However, you will still see HD DVD releases, probably as late as May. The studios have already done considerable prep work on those so there's point now in not releasing them.

Arlington, Va.: Blu-ray is the winner, and has always been the winner. For the market, it was beneficial to have two formats so we could get better prices on software, but i've always stood next to Blu-ray. It's the superior format with the superior studios. BLU-RAY'S TIME TO SHINE BABY!!

Phillip Swann: I'm guessing that you bought a Blu-ray player.

Bloomington, Ind.: Blu-Ray has three profiles, ver. 1, ver 1.1, and version 2.0 (which is soon to be released). Do you think 2.0 is the final standard, or will Blu-Ray's specifications continue to change?

Phillip Swann: Never bet on a technology to stop changing.

Baltimore, Md.: What Blu-Ray movie do you think has the best picture quality?

Phillip Swann: I think the Blu-ray disc of Cars was incredible. The animated characters seemed more real than some humans in live action movies.

Joe Whip, the movie reviewer at TVPredictions.com, says No Country for Old Men, which comes out on Blu-ray next month, is gorgeous-looking.

Germantown, Md.: It still seems that a lot of folks think that their standard DVD collection will soon be obsolete and they'll need to replace them with Blu-rays. This is not correct. I have about 500 standard DVDs and 50 or so Blu-rays and HD-DVDs. I don't plan to replace any of my standard DVDs since they play fine on my Blu-ray player (even better than on my old DVD player). The only thing that has changed is that I now only purchase Blu-rays. Upgrading to Blu-ray is a no lose if you have an HDTV. Standard DVD's will look better and Blu-rays are incredible.

Phillip Swann: You are correct.

1080i upconversion: What the previous poster had asked was if the upconverting of standard DVD 480p signals to 1080i be allowed through component output. Currently, all of the players allow upconversion only through HDMI interace.

Phillip Swann: That is correct, as well.

Columbia, Pa.: Which TV format should I buy, Plasma or LCD?

Phillip Swann: It's the chicken or the egg question.

Generally speaking, Plasma looks better in a darker room while LCD looks better in a well-lit room.

Concord, N.C.: Do you think the HD-DVD format as we know it now in the Toshiba product, will go away entirely or will someone else pick it up and produce players/HD-DVDs for the market that is out there today?

Phillip Swann: No, HD DVD is dead.

Leesburg, Fla.: What does this mean to people who have home theatre systems with DVD players. Eg Sony DAV HDX 500.

Phillip Swann: If you have a Home Theater, which includes a high-def set, you would be crazy not to get a Blu-ray player.

Laurel: There used to be such a thing as HD DVD? Is this one of those cases where you should look at your savings account balance and feel proud of being a late adopter?

Phillip Swann: Hard to say no -- if you were considering buying an HD DVD player. However, if you chose "correctly," and bought a Blu-ray player...

Reston, Va.: What is a better home theatre experience (i.e better video/audio) - Blu-Ray or HDTV pay per view?

Phillip Swann: Blu-ray has a better picture than most high-def on cable or satellite PPV.

Stafford, Va.: Will Blu-Ray offer "combo" discs that include the a copy of the television show in standard DVD format also?

I'm still not going to touch Blu-Ray-only discs until prices drop, but I might buy a combo disc to begin to transition my collection to the new technology.

Phillip Swann: There were combo discs for HD DVD, but so far, not from Blu.

M Street NW, Washington, D.C.: Wow, as someone who is very entrenched in this area of technology, this chat is really opening my eyes about how confused consumers are about the marketplace. Combined with the general confusion about the DTV transition, there is a real need for clear consumer education.

Phillip Swann: That's an understatement, which is why I have said the upcoming digital TV transition could become the "Katrina of technology."

Manassas, Va.: Depending on what version 2.0 includes, do you think that version will last a while? Do the versions just apply to the Blu-Ray players, or do the Blu-Ray DVDs have different versions?

Phillip Swann: Blu-ray discs have different features -- some of which won't play on earlier player models. There's no difference in the picture, but you can't use some of the interactive features on the early player, such as online polls and Picture-in-Picture commentaries.

Cape Coral, Fla.: What will be the immediate and or longer range impact on laptop owners with pre-installed DVD/RW optical drives, but also with multiple USB 2.0 ports?

Phillip Swann: Like the players, if you have a laptop with a HD DVD drive, it will still play HD DVDs. You just won't have new HD DVD releases in the near future.

Phillip Swann: I also want to remind everyone to come to TVPredictions.com every day for more news on everything HD -- including Blu-ray and even whether the Nats will be in high-def. :)

Mt. Airy, Md.: Ok so we've concluded that HD DVD wasn't really "better" than Blu-ray. So it's a stalemate. But, can we not agree that Oasis is the greatest rock band ever?

Phillip Swann: Zeppelin, not Oasis.

Springfield, Va.: so what does this mean for Xbox 360? Isn't the system on an HD-DVD format? Will that force any changes to the newly sold models?

Phillip Swann: The XBox 360 has an HD DVD player add-on, which can be attached to the game console. It's unclear if Microsoft will introduce a Blu-ray feature in the future.

Phillip Swann: Just curious -- at what price would it take for you guys to buy a Blu-ray player?

Glen Burnie, Md.: When can we now start seeing some big movies (Raiders, Godfather, Star Wars)in Blu ray?

Phillip Swann: I think they will come shortly, probably a few big titles like that in late spring, in fact.

Manassas, Va.: I am looking forward to getting a Blu_Ray player. It would be nice to see even my old DVDs looking better on my HD TV, and you said the Blu-Ray DVDs look better than HD TV on cable. Can't wait.

Phillip Swann: You will be wowed. If you love movies, it's a great way to watch them at home.

Washington, D.C.: Will my old copy of "Airplane" on video disc play in a Blu-Ray. Kidding. Just thought I'd throw some humor on the board.

Phillip Swann: Yes, but Lloyd Bridges will look 20 years older...just kidding.

Glen Burnie, Md.: I already have on in the ps3, But i think the $199.00 price point will start bringing in the people to buy them.

Phillip Swann: I agree -- it's the magic price point to drive big sales.

Washington, D.C.: Price point for Blu-Ray player purchase: $199-the same price point I had when I bought my first DVD player. However, I'm more and more inclined to purchase a PS3 if I want a Blu-Ray player, even at its current price. I just don't want to start thinking about Blu-Ray yet, because the discs are so expensive, and I already have an unconverting DVD player and a collection of over 1,000 DVDs. Maybe in another year or two.

Phillip Swann: I think your sentiment is shared by many, which is why the Blu forces will have to work extra hard to generate mass sales.

Thanks everyone for a great chat -- and don't forget to come by TVPredictions.com for daily coverage of the high-def industry!

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company