washingtonpost.com
The 'Lost' Hour

Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly
washingtonpost.com Staff
Friday, March 14, 2008 2:00 PM

Has "Lost" got you a mite confused and ready to hurl at the next mention of smoke monsters? Or do you have the fate of the Oceanic 6 and the Jack-Kate-Sawyer-Juliet love square all figured out? Who got Scooby Doo'd this week? Are you a new viewer, adrift on an unfamiliar isle or an old hand ready to bare knuckle some quantum physics? In either case, we're here for you and armed with more mediocre puns and pop culture references than a hunky con man than you can shake a stick at and ready to explain exactly what it is that Cheech Marin and Bai Ling have to do with any of the above.

Post.com "Lost" bloggers Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney will attempt to get to the bottom of these matters every Friday. Liz and Jen, both obsessive "Lost" fans, have been writing their weekly dueling analysis of the show since 2006.

A transcript follows.

When not debating the merits of Sawyer's hotness, Liz Kelly writes the Celebritology blog and Jen Chaney acts as movies editrix and DVD columnist for washingtonpost.com.

Visit washingtonpost.com's new Lost hub.

Liz Kelly: We'll be getting started in just a minute. We're just crafting our initial thoughts.

Jen Chaney: Before we get started, Liz and I need to apologize for neglecting to mention something important that many of you raised in the comments of today's dueling analysis: The date of death on Jin's gravestone. It was indeed Sept. 22, 2004, something I meant to touch on in kicking off the post and completely forgot to do. (Mea culpa). Some of you think this means that Jin may not actually be dead, but that he "died in the crash," part of the lie surrounding the Oceanic Six. In fact, he may still be on the island.

I had developed a slightly different theory late last night, which I pieced together using the Tacky Glue inside my brain. Here it is: Jin attempts to leave the island, but dies in the process. So his body comes back with Sun, and gets buried in Korea. As part of the lie, the public believes Jin died in the crash and was brought back with his wife.

There's also the possibility that he dies on the island before they even leave.

Liz, your thoughts?

Liz Kelly: I think Jin is actually dead and not alive on the island as some have supposed. Why? Because Sun is so incredibly upset and talks of missing him in a way that transcends knowing that he's alive somewhere on an island and has a chance of coming back into her life. Jin is gone and I'll wager that he died helping Sun (and her unborn child) to survive. He's gone with her, yet again, this time in spirit.

Sub Par:

Jen and Liz:

I thought last night's episode was the worst of what has been an excellent season so far.

The Jin/Sun split flashback/forward seemed like a contrived trick with no purpose other than fooling the audience. I don't mind being fooled, but there was nothing about it that was organic to the overall story. Jin's purchase of a toy panda four years ago didn't give us insight into the main story or the characters, it was just used to make us think he was alive in the present (future?).

Oh well, I guess they can't all be great.

P.S.: Am I the only one who thinks that Jin's gravestone doesn't necessarily mean that he left the island or died? Presumably if he stayed behind, they would have to say he died in the plane crash.

Jen Chaney: I definitely want to address some important things you mention here.

First, I obviously disagree about the quality of the episode and the use of the flashback. As I tried to convey in this morning's post, I thought the bisecting flashback/flashforward approach did serve a narrative purpose -- it was letting us know all along that these two would be split apart. Jeff Jensen over at EW also makes an argument for the relevancy of Jin's flashback, noting that seeing him as a minion for Mr. Paik reinforced the notion that, as Jin pointed out, he was no longer the man he used to be.

And see our intro above re: the gravestone. You're right, we don't know the circumstances of his death, so anything is possible. I feel like he is dead (see theory above), but I like the idea that he is still alive somewhere. And I actually hope that turns out to be true.

Liz Kelly: I liked last night's episode, too, and thought it was an important bridge to keep the show moving forward. We find out the final composition of the Oceanic 6 -- yes, Aaron counts. We find out that Michael is alive and on the freighter. We find out definitively that Charles Widmore is funding the operation. All good stuff.

That said, there were a few ham-fisted moments. Like Kate's Scooby Doo rundown to Sun about the power station/gas plant kerfuffle of last week and, sorry Jen, the whole Bernard opining on marriage to Jin. I was waiting for Paolo to turn out to be the fish hooked at the end of Jin's line at that point. Thankfully, the show swung back into action after that touching scene.

Athol, Mass.:

1. The "Oceanic 6" are Jack, Kate, Baby Aaron, Hurley, Sayid and Sun, right?

2. Who reads Korean? What did Jin's epitaph read on his grave (or memorial) stone?

Jen Chaney: 1. That appears to be the case. I say this because Doc Jensen said so in his piece today. And I believe everything he says. Well, almost.

2. Anybody know Korean? Liz?

Liz Kelly: I believe everything he (Doc) says, too. And since he says it eloquently, why try to recreate his reasoning. Here's the pertinent graf from his recap:

Sun's flash-forward fake-out seemed to close out the first act of Lost's future-time story line: identifying the members of the Oceanic 6, the celebrity miracle survivors of Oceanic 815. To recap, they are Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Aaron, and Sun. Now, I know what some of you are saying: Aaron can't be a member of the Oceanic 6 because he wasn't born prior to the crash and therefore was not technically an Oceanic 815 passenger. To which I say, Please. Don't be so literal. In the Lost world, the Oceanic 6 is clearly a media-coined term, pinned on these six souls by some clever headline writer or newscaster. And being in the business, I can tell you that tiny little facts like Aaron's non-passenger status would never, ever get in the way of a easy, catchy piece of phrasing. We journalists are exactly that lazy. So let's call it: The Oceanic 6 is settled. Now, let's move on to the next act of their story, which I'm betting will cover two big points: the backstory behind Jack's downward spiral into boozy, grizzly-bearded, we-gotta-go-back-to-the-Island mania, and more context for Ben and Sayid's secret war with their list of mysterious off-Island foes.

And, no, I don't speak Korean. If it were Pig Latin, I'd be your girl.

Something I Need To Get Off My Chest:: I love Jeremy Davies!

Jen Chaney: Me, too.

He actually reminds me of a friend of mine, which makes me like him all the more.

Washington, D.C.: Are we sure that Michael is Ben's spy? The woman who jumped overboard -- have we seen her before? She wasn't one of the others? Thanks for all your blogging!

Jen Chaney: Well, we still need to see what happens in next week's episode. But certainly all signs point to Michael being the spy.

Remember, Ben gave him coordinates and sent Michael and Walt off in that boat at the end of season two. He may have steered Michael directly to the freighter, then taking Walt away again as leverage. So Taller Ghost Walt -- who could be suffering from time shifting problems -- might turn out to be Taller Real Walt.

As for the woman, that was Regina, played by Zoe Bell of "Death Proof" and stuntwoman for Uma Thurman in "Kill Bill" fame. She was one of the freighter people. We had only heard her voice over the sat phone until last night when we finally met her for 30 seconds ... then promptly watched her plummet to her death.

Sun and Jin: The biggest revelation to me is how young they are! I would have put them solidly in their early to-mid 30's. Sun is my age!

Liz Kelly: Ya, I was surprised to see that Sun was only 24 (in 2004).

Please remind me...: Is Jae (Sun's paramour) dead? How did he die? And Sun is really the most beautiful woman on the island. So can we kill off Kate?

Jen Chaney: Jae died. He fell out of a building; Sun went to his funeral even. If memory serves, we witnessed this in season three.

As far as killing off Kate, get in line behind Liz. Although, I should point out, she is beating Sawyer as we speak in "Lost" Madness.

Liz Kelly: Madness, indeed.

Jae "fell out of a building": That's one way to put it. Another way to put it is that he jumped out. And yet another way to put it is that he jumped out because of Sun.

Jen Chaney: And yet another way to put it is that Tony "Rocky" Hara was pushed out because of Uma Thurman.

Nice "Pulp Fiction" pull. This weekend, Martin and Lewis milkshakes at Jack Rabbit Slim's are on me.

Clemson, S.C.: I read a theory on DarkUFO that Kevin Johnson may actually be Walt all grown up, basically that actor Harold Perinneau is now playing a grown-up Walt and not Michael. What do you think?

Liz Kelly: Well, I did think that the handwriting of the note was penned in a particularly childish hand and that had me thinking the spy might be Walt. But, hmmm, Walt would've had to do an awful lot of growing to be the guy we saw last night.

Jen Chaney: I read this theory, too. It's intriguing but leans a little too hard on the far-fetched. I still think Walt is being used as leverage for Michael/Kevin Johnson to do Ben's bidding.

Silver Spring, Md.: Can I just say that I loved that episode? Typically I have found Sun and Jin episodes a little on the filler side of the "Lost" spectrum, but last night, while not necessarily answering questions and vaulting the plot forward, had so many moments where I sat with my jaw just hanging open, using the plot devices of flash forward/back beautifully. Anyway, my real question, did you cry when Sun went to the cemetery? I balled, and my boyfriend got teary, so therefore I am convinced everyone out there had to cry!!

Jen Chaney: I totally did. I cried when she gave birth, too. I leaked a little when Hurley said, "She's awesome."

Liz said in the blog that she was moved but did not cry. She's got a heart of stone, that one.

Liz Kelly: Jen, when you say you "leaked" -- I think you may want to choose a different word.

And my heart is hardly made of stone. I welled up during the Desmond/Penny phone call two weeks ago. Twice.

So there.

Gainesville, Va.: When asked (by Yunjun Kim) in this week's TV Guide about whether Aaron was one of the Oceanic 6, Lindelof said, "Who the actual six are is very much in play through the end of the March 13 episode. We'll confirm or deny after that." Given last night's episode (and simple math), this has to mean that Aaron counts as one of the six.

Jen Chaney: That seems to be correct. I really was not sure this a.m., but -- I know I am a broken record -- that's what EW says today. And LindeCuse confirms everything with them.

Four-toed statue: Submitting really early, here's why: I really want to read your chats and analysis, but I'm trying to stay spoiler-free. Would it be possible to keep all spoilers out of the chats and analysis and stick to only what's been aired by ABC and spoken by the producers in public?

thanks!

Liz Kelly: Oh sure, no problem. Which part of Matthew Fox being a big star do you want to cover first?

Jen Chaney: Oh, Liz. You're such a quipper.

To be fair, I don't think we get all that spoilery. We talk about each episode and sometimes cite things that LindeCuse has said in interviews. But we don't share stuff on spoiler sites.

I made one reference to a spoiler I had read -- without actually sharing the spoiler -- and I got a smackdown for that. So since you all butter our bread (or boil our lima beans, to borrow last night's canned food of choice) we try to be very careful about that.

Charlotte, N.C.: Okay, clearly the reference to Mr. Paik was supposed to function as the slap to the forehead realization that although we're seeing Sun's flashforward we're seeing Jin's flashback. It was after that, of course, that I started to put together others things, like the fact that no one knew who Jin was when the Oceanic Six were world famous, as we saw when Sun was admitted. So, who IS Mr. Paik?

Liz Kelly: The first indication came (at least for me) when the toy store clerk nailed down the time frame by saying they were in the year of the dragon -- the last one was in the year 2000. The next won't be until 2013. That's when I started to think that maybe Jin wasn't in the same place as Sun.

He Knew: Hi Jen and Liz (Thank you for this chat!),

Submitting early - I'm watching the replay of "The Other Woman" and noticed something Juliet said to Ben that I think supports the theory that Ben knows the future. When she saw Godwin's dead body, she said, "You knew this would happen!" I think Juliet knows Ben can see the future in someway. I'm not sure if anyone brought this up in the chat or board last week. Whaddya think?

Jen Chaney: Ben's powers may indeed be more far-reaching than we think. I feel like someone did allude to this idea last week.

Personally, I don't think he necessarily knew Goodwin would die (and I think Liz said this last week, too). I think he sent him to hang with the Tailies to get him away from Juliet (more evidence of this: ridiculous lie he told Juliet about Goodwin feeling passionately about Ana Lucia). But when he thought Goodwin might be in danger, he did nothing to help him.

St. Paul, Minn.: What's going on behind the scenes on the freighter? Did you notice Lapidus was bandaged? And the doctor is sporting a nasty -- and very fresh-looking -- welt on his face?

Liz Kelly: Yes, there seems to be some kind of mania slowly eating its way through the freighter crew -- first with the death of Minkowsky, then last night's death leap from Regina and, as you say, the ripe looking doctor. I think we may find out a wee bit more next week when we get an idea of how Michael became part of the crew and what he's been overhearing while on the boat.

Jen Chaney: Yes, I noticed in the credits for next week's episode that Minkowski makes a reappearance. So hopefully that means some more gaps will be filled in.

Leesburg, Va: Could it be that the black box that Widmore "procured" is the -actual- box from Flight 815? That would lend an enormous amount of credibility to the discovery of the wreckage, and Ben would certainly have the means to make it happen.

Jen Chaney: That thought flittered through my mind, too. I don't think anyone recovered that before.

And it makes a lot more sense for them to hang on to the real black box, doesn't it?

Liz Kelly: I think that's within the realm of possibility, for sure.

Silver Spring: Did anyone happen to catch the name of the freighter? During one scene, they zoom out a bit and it looks like the name is on the side.

Liz Kelly: Yep: The Kahana. Here's the full scoop from Lostpedia.

Jen Chaney: I thought it was interesting that we saw the freighter and its name right after the Bernard/Jin scene. Yes, the name is Kahana. But for a second, it almost appeared to read "Kharma."

Charleston, SC: I think y'all may be a little off-base on assuming that Ben staged the wreckage or is cahoots with Widmore. My gut tells me that's too easy a connection to make.

But, the splinter in my thumb from last night is Hurley's reaction when visiting Sun... He asks if anybody else is coming, she says no, and he replies, "Good."

I find it interesting and speaks to the possible relationships after their return to the real world, even though one would assume that flash-forward pre-dates his commitment/meeting with Jack.

Liz Kelly: Well, Hurley's "good" isn't all that surprising. We'd already seen -- from his prior flashback -- that Hurley was not at all comfortable in the role of an Oceanic 6 "celebrity" and that he wasn't exactly on the best of terms with Jack. I can see that extending to Kate. That leaves Sayid, who we have to assume is working for Ben.

Jen Chaney: Good observation, Charleston. It's not surprising, but it's important to remember that things get really messed up for all six of the real-world survivors.

I feel like I need to plot a timeline for the fast-forwards. Obviously Hurley visited Sun before he went to the mental hospital. Or, is it possible that he eventually gets out?

Liz Kelly: I think Hurley's visit to Sun was before the hospital, too. But I'm sure he was already feeling the pressure (guilt?) of being a survivor. Remember, he -- and the rest of the six -- know something. Something that riddles them with doubt about their actions in leaving the island. So, though he may be happy to see Sun, he might not have been up for a full on reunion.

Jen Chaney: He also may have serious issues with baby Aaron. And, like Jack, although for different reasons, might not want to see him either.

If he felt guilty about Charlie's death before, he would feel even worse knowing that they tore the child -- almost a son to Charlie -- from his mother and are lying about it.

Seattle: Haven't watched last night's episode (thanks to a business dinner) but wanted to get something about last week's episode with Juliette. When the shrink appeared just after the whispers, her face was spooky; it was like Ethan's in Season 1, face and eyes emotionless, voice was flat, etc. It was like they weren't in control of their bodies beyond their basic functions.

Am I right or am I just over-thinking (always a possibility)?

Liz Kelly: I would argue that Juliet often looks flat and emotionless. She's got some serious Stepford demeanor going on.

Jen Chaney: Liz, I think Seattle is talking about Harper looking flat and emotionless. And she did.

It was reminiscent of Ethan, but I am not sure if it speaks to a larger trend or theme.

Liz Kelly: Well, there's enough "flat and emotionless" to go around for both Juliet and Harper.

Down South: I'm curious about the Flight 815 connection's to Charles Widmore. We know he's connected to Desmond, but why is he looking for 815? Do you think he knows anyone on the plane?

Are there any connections other than Desmond that I'm missing? (besides Libby giving him the boat?)

Jen Chaney: I think it's more that he's looking for the island. He's clearly fixated on the Black Rock and has an interest in the island's properties.

But as I said last week, I am not sure he want to turn it into a Tropical Disney World, as Ben suggests. I think it may be more complicated than that.

Liz Kelly: Right. Widmore is after the island and Ben. Oceanic 815 is just a circumstance around which he has to work.

Brooklyn, N.Y.: I have to disagree with Doc Jenson's determination on who is included in the Oceanic 6. What about the body in the casket at the funeral home when Jack visits? At Kate's trial, Jack says that 8 people survived the crash, and 2 died. Aaron wasn't one of those people (he was born after the crash). I think the 6th person is in that casket. And I think it was Michael.

Liz Kelly: I kind of suspect it's Michael in that casket, too. The newspaper clipping said something about him having a son, so that would fit. It also fits that no one would be at his funeral considering his actions on and off the island.

But here's the thing -- we're assuming that the only people who make it off the island are the official, media-approved "Oceanic 6." Who's to say others don't also make it back, through back channels and, quite possibly, under the radar of the media or anyone else who is watching? In fact, we know that to be the case since we've seen Ben in a flash forward.

Jen Chaney: That is such a good point, Liz. Ever since the Oceanic Six was uttered for the first time by Hurley in this season's first episode -- and doesn't that seem like a lifetime ago? -- we have all been so fixated on who the six are that we haven't considered the notion that maybe there are other survivors living underground.

That dang casket. It keeps coming back to haunt us. If it weren't for the big about him having a son, I would say Sayid is a possibility. Michael sounds more and more plausible since, as Kevin Johnson, it's very possible he goes back and forth from the island like Ben the vest-wearer.

Springfield, Va.: Just so I'm clear, after next week's episode we've got 4 weeks off, then 5 in a row through the end of May. Correct?

Jen Chaney: You are correct, Springfield.

Got big plans for the hiatus? Maybe take some time off, what with all the hard work we all do analyzing the show? It really is a full-time job.

Liz Kelly: Jen, I think we should spring for a South Pacific vacation. Cocktails and lima beans at sunset. That kind of thing.

Jen Chaney: Man, that is a GOOD idea. See you in Fiji!

Clemson, S.C.: Seems to me that the freighter crew is experiencing the same "sickness" that Rousseau's crew went through. An effect of being too close to the time bubble perhaps?

Liz Kelly: Right. And the captain seems to be eager to move the freighter to "safer" waters. But is being confounded by "Kevin Johnson's" sabotage.

Jen Chaney: Certainly seems that way. Agreed.

John Galt: There's a John Galt in the book "The Fountainhead." I don't know if there is a connection.

Jen Chaney: Yes, this has been noted elsewhere, too. We also mentioned in the blog the series of stories about a captain named Galt. Personally, I think this is all part of a conspiracy spearheaded by the "Lost" writers, the Dharma Initiative and Reading is Fundamental. They're going to turn everyone in America into a lover of literature. And there's nothing you can do to stop it!

Liz Kelly: Hey, if so, good for them. Though that new "Lost" videogame has the potential to suck up a lot of time that could be spent reading.

Jen Chaney: Why didn't they make that for the Wii?

That's just mean.

Anonymous: Now wait a minute -- Jin was thought dead because the grave they were at was in the past and the surprise was Hurley's knowing them before the island -- right ?

Jen Chaney: Um ... no. Jin's flashback was a flashback. But the parts with Sun -- her giving birth, etc. -- were all a flashforward.

So Jin is either dead or on the island and publicly presumed dead.

Tulsa, Okla.: Do you think the writers will make any reference to the tsunami that happened on Dec. 25, 2004 which is the time now on the island?

Liz Kelly: Good question.

If we are to believe that the freighter and/or island are somewhere in reach of being affected by that storm -- well, then, I think it would be an odd omission if it was ignored. We've already had refs to the Red Sox, so if the timeline is to be believed, I'm sure the writers have this on their minds.

Jen Chaney: Seems like it would have to happen soon since Christmas Eve just passed. When Sayid said good morning to Desmond, shouldn't that have been Christmas Day?

On issues of time, though, traditional concepts may not apply.

Centreville, Va.: Was I the only one who thought ominous things when Sun's doctor said he was covering for Dr. Park? I kept waiting for Matthew Abbadon to make an appearance.

Liz Kelly: Right. I think that was a red herring designed to throw us off of paying attention to the timeline. At that point, I thought perhaps Abaddon or Ben or some other ill-meaning concern meant to spirit baby Ji Yeon away from Sun, a la "Rosemary's Baby."

Behind: Who or what is LindeCuse? Not having luck with google. Thanks.

Jen Chaney: Sorry. This is me abbreviating.

Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are executive producers, writers and official mouthpieces for the show. To save time, I call them LindeCuse.

Not in the South Pacific: We all knew it was Michael. But as one named Kevin Johnson, I can tell you why he choose that particular nome de guerre. Kevin Johnson is the name of a brilliant philosopher and theologian, who can bring answers to all your questions. (At least that's what I tell my wife.)

Liz Kelly: I suspect we're addressing Kevin Johnson now?

Jen Chaney: If you have answers to all our questions, Mr. Johnson, then tell us what the monster is. Go ahead. Tell us.

Washington, DC: Why is it that the Island has miraculous healing powers for some people (Locke, for example), while doing nothing for others -- all the pregnant women who have died, all the Islanders that Ben gassed, for examples?

Jen Chaney: I have struggled with this one for a while and I still am not sure. Except that the electromagnetic forces -- or whatever you want to call them -- seem to "treat" the illnesses of people who show up already suffering from disease or disability. If you're ailed, it cures you.

But that doesn't mean you can't be killed on the island. I also would note that if you live on the island, then leave it, instead of being cured you get cursed. Witness the Oceanic Six (or however many there are), all of whom are suffering from psychological crises or other bad circumstances.

Liz Kelly: Too bad the island can't cure Kate of being so annoying.

Where is John Galt?: He's actually in "Atlas Shrugged" but I don't think it matters. I don't think Ayn Rand lit is part of the island mythology.

Liz Kelly: Then Liz shrugged.

Hurleygood: Hurley was channeling Hagrid in that suit. He probably has a crush on Sun. New baby and no husband sounds like a good time to show up, you know?

Liz Kelly: Okay, I'm sorry. I say this though I know I risk being labeled a Hurley Hater. I am not.

It's just that although Hurley was wearing a suit, he looked as if he hadn't bothered to shower since leaving the island. One would think he'd take the time to get his hair trimmed, have a nice facial -- something. I mean, my god, future flash Sayid was impeccable.

Jen Chaney: Future-flash Sayid is a stallion. But then, he's got money not only from his settlement, but from Mr. $3.2 million-plus, Mr. Ben Linus.

Hurley's walking on a thin line mental health-wise. Dude's not equipped to shave.

Liz Kelly: Oh please. If he can get himself to Korea, he can shave.

I read Korean!: It is read top to bottom, from left to right.

First column says: Spouse, Paik Sun Hwa.

Second Column: 1980 Year 3 Month 20 Day Date of Birth

Third Column(CENTER): Grave of Kwon Jin Soo (male??)

Fourth Column: 1974 Year 11 Month 27 Day Date of Birth

Fifth Column: 2004 Year 9 Month 22 Day Date of Death.

Did anyone think Jin and Sun were actually a little bit older? This makes Sun 24(!!!) I thought she was at least 30 years old.

Liz Kelly: Thank you! Thank you! So no clues beyond the dates there.

Chattanooga, TN: Okay, which side are you all on? Was Juliet justified in ridiculously betraying her patient's confidence, or was she a smug, self-satisfied monster who simply HAD to blab because she is convinced that she is never wrong, and she was too stupid to consider alternative measures, such as walking along with Sun and Jin (the Locke camp is several days away, as I recall) and continuing to whine to Sun in the hopes of changing her mind? (Guess which side I'm on!)

Second, is Juliet EVER going to just lose it and start screaming at someone? She seems to be so very calm and controlled that I just want slug her. (And I was yelling at Sun to slug her several times last night.)

Thirdly, does it seem to you that Juliet's actions were so out of character that it was really the writers' fault--i.e., they needed to have Jin learn of the affair and respond nobly (at least in the end) and they chose a sloppy way to do it?

Fourthly, even if he's also evil, don't you like Captain Gault? I mean, actually answering questions!

God, I love this show. And you two, for having these chats.

Liz Kelly: We love you, too. Hugs.

Well written. I'm with you on Juliet. As I typed earlier, she's a control freak. Don't let that placid facade fool you.

I hadn't thought about the sloppy-ness, but now that you mention it. Umm, umm... no. Not sloppy. Actually, it is really a big time window into Juliet's psyche and values. She herself had been one half of a torrid love affair with the doomed Goodwin and, one would think, would want to protect Sun's secret as a fellow traveler on the same infidelitous road. (Is "infidelitous" a word? Enh. Who cares?).

But she's also a doctor and wanted to protect her patient. That side of her won. So she used every tool in her arsenal to prevent Sun from leaving.

Unless she had some other, hidden reason for wanting to keep Sun away from Locke's camp.

Jen Chaney: It was so, so none of Juliet's biz to tell Jin about the affair, especially since she knew that the baby was conceived on the island. The affair was irrelevant.

But as Liz said, Juliet used the only tool in her arsenal that she knew would make one of them stay behind. You're right she could have walked with them and tried to keep convincing Sun. But we only have 42 minutes an episode and this way was much more dramatic. The other way would have been Worst Episode Ever. ("Sun, you're going to die. Let's turn around. Seriously, you're going to die, let's turn around.")

Sun did at least slap her. That must have been a little satisfying for you. Last person Sun slapped? Sawyer.

Capt. Gault I don't trust. But I do like his forthcomingness, assuming what he says is true.

Vacati, ON: My sister is going to Costa Rica and staying at a hotel called the Black Rock. (not a joke.)

Liz Kelly: If she finds dynamite or John Locke's dad in her room, tell her to make haste to the nearest HoJo.

Jen Chaney: And if some ninth grade science teacher tells her he knows how to safely handle dynamite, make sure she knows to run for cover.

Bristow, Va.: The tsunami actually occurred on December 26, not 25. So there's still a chance for it to show up in the show.

Jen Chaney: Thanks for the reminder, Bristow. Good point.

Seattle, WA: Observation on last week's episode. Am I spitballing or are Jack and Juilette both meant for each other and together for the wrong reasons because each, I think, is a co-dependent personality? Jack needs someone to fix and feel responsible for, and Juilette was the same way with her sister and, I think, ex-husband.

Liz Kelly: That's a shrewd observation -- both Jack and Juliette share the same close-to-the-vest/ need-to-know-basis personalities. They seem to think they are the only ones (separately) capable of holding it together. The difference, I'd say, is that Jack seems to be more of a "shoot first, ask questions later" kind of guy, while Juliet is a bit more calculated.

Anonymous: The last time we saw Michael, wasn't he sailing off in a boat with Walt. I mean did we see Walt or did we just take Ben's word for it. Because after watching last night's show, all I can think about is if Michael is on the ship, then where is Walt?

Jen Chaney: We did see Walt in the boat with Michael, yes.

I think Walt is being held on the island somewhere. Or he exists in some temporal no man's land with Ben's mom and Jack's dad.

Liz Kelly: I think Walt is master of his own destiny. He was able to somehow communicate with Locke in last season's finale -- whether physically or by literally being "taller ghost Walt," we don't know. I think he may be one factor that Ben -- who assumes himself to be master of the island -- can't control. Walt is the island's Turk 182.

(Jen is going to knife me for that reference.)

Jen Chaney: You know, I never saw "Turk 182," which is shocking since it was released in the '80s and all.

Ben may not be able to control Walt. But he can use him as leverage and make Michael think he can control Walt.

Silver Spring, Md.: Kevin Johnson is also a retired NBA point guard running for mayor of Sacremento.

washingtonpost.com: Ha, that's the first person I thought of too.

Liz Kelly: Gee, I wonder why I didn't think of him first, too?

Jen Chaney: That's the real shocker. Michael also used to play for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Rockville, Md.: My question is about the Others. Where are they? I can't remember if they're still following Ben or if there was some sort of uprising.

They haven't returned to the barracks, so will they fight the boat people and help Ben? Help the boat people get Ben?

I'm confused.

Jen Chaney: The other Others were told to go to the Temple. We have not seen or heard from them all season, but I suspect they will turn up again in volume two of season four.

I am not sure they want to help Ben. They don't seem 100-percent confident in his leadership.

Liz Kelly: There weren't, perchance, 324 of them?

The Emerald City, WA: ABC teaser for next week: "Sayid confronts Ben's spy on the freighter, and Ben urges daughter Alex to flee Locke's camp in order to survive an impending attack."

I'm guessing that Ben has Alex flee and while hiding in the jungle, Alex runs into... Rousseau! Then we get our mother-daughter bonding episode and it will be sappy and sentimental and will advance the plot nowhere. Though maybe we'd finally get a Rousseau flasback/forward. Is she the only semi-main character who hasn't had one? Even Paulo and Nikki got a flashback!

Liz Kelly: Now that you have re-pasted the ABC promo for next week's episode again, it strikes me... why wouldn't they just say "Saying confronts MICHAEL on the freighter"? Further fodder for the grown-up Walt theory?

Jen Chaney: Because they write those teasers way in advance and they wouldn't want to reveal Michael even though we already knew.

I don't that proves the Walt theory. But A for effort there, Liz.

Vienna, Va.: Is it me, or was Locke treating Ben pretty well while in captivity? I mean, pretty outgoing to prepare meals, skin rabbits, etc. for a guy who shot you and left you in a ditch.

Liz Kelly: Maybe Locke just likes cooking and skinning rabbits. He would. He's kind of a weirdo and he has that whole hunting fascination. (Remember the wild boars of season 1?)

Tsunami: The survivors on the island wouldn't even notice the tsunami. to a tiny volcanic island sitting in the middle of the very deep Pacific Ocean, a tsunami is just a couple inches high (because the wave energy is dispersed through the very deep water column and the island is basically a pillar rising from the ocean floor). There's not continental shelf to cause the rapid change in depth and concentration of energy, and therefore no catastrophic 100-ft waves.

Liz Kelly: I'd like to take your word for it, but we don't know the precise location of the island, so I'm not ready and willing to discount its being affected by the tsunami -- even if it is only in the form of some particularly rough seas.

Jen Chaney: Yeah, I don't think the island will be washed out or anything. But I can see there being reverberations, or at least a reference to it at some point.

Speaking of real-time 2004, no one seems to be concerned about the election.

Liz Kelly: Well, there was a lot of voter apathy during that election cycle.

Tore Aaron from Claire: Wait, you mean that you don't think Claire is going to bite it? I think it is CLEAR that Claire is toast. Maybe even next week. She is kinda superfluous.

Jen Chaney: I think that's a definite possibility.

I hope not, though, because then I really feel bad for Aaron. At least if Claire remains on the island, there is a chance they will be reunited.

Other than serving as Aaron's mother, she is a bit superfluous, though, I would agree.

Fairfax, Va.: So, If Sun is out of the island on time for delivery, how come two weeks ago, when we say Aaron, he looked almost 3?

Jen Chaney: This is why I said I needed a timeline.

Liz Kelly: Jen. You know what this means, right? We need to do a timeline.

Jen Chaney: I just built a huge bracket. Now we have to build a timeline? It's only a matter of time until we have to build a time machine.

Liz Kelly: Okay, how bout I handle the timeline and you get to work on the machine?

Jen Chaney: Too late. I already went into the future, built the timeline and time machine and am now relaxing in Fiji.

Liz Kelly: Okay, that's it for this week. Thanks for all the questions and comments. This chat is now a bona fide hit. See you all back here next week.

Jen Chaney: My head is spinning, which is how I know the discussion has been a success.

We'll see you next week to discuss the last episode of volume one of this season. Thanks, everybody!

View all comments that have been posted about this article.

© 2008 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive