Transcript

The 'Lost' Hour: Deconstructing 'Cabin Fever'

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly
washingtonpost.com Staff
Friday, May 9, 2008; 2:00 PM

Has "Lost" got you a mite confused and ready to hurl at the next mention of smoke monsters? Or do you have the fate of the Oceanic 6 and the Jack-Kate-Sawyer-Juliet love square all figured out? Who got Scooby Dooed this week? Are you a new viewer, adrift on an unfamiliar isle or an old hand ready to bare knuckle some quantum physics? In either case, we're here for you and armed with more mediocre puns and pop culture references than a hunky con man than you can shake a stick at and ready to explain exactly what it is that Cheech Marin and Bai Ling have to do with any of the above.

Post.com "Lost" bloggers Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney will attempt to get to the bottom of these matters every Friday. Liz and Jen, both obsessive "Lost" fans, have been writing their weekly dueling analysis of the show since 2006.

When not debating the merits of Sawyer's hotness, Liz Kelly writes the Celebritology blog and Jen Chaney acts as movies editrix and DVD columnist for washingtonpost.com.

For episode analysis, discussion transcripts and more, visit washingtonpost.com's Lost Central.

-----

Liz Kelly: Welcome to this afternoon's "Lost" Hour -- which may be an apter name than usual, since I gather some folks are having a little trouble accessing today's chat. Hang in there.

Jen and I may have led you down a dead end in the analysis posted earlier in Celebritology. We were convinced (at least early this morning) that Richard Alpert was Locke's actual daddy. But, luckily, some astute commenters chimed in to show us the wrongheadedness of that assumption. It's still open for debate, though, and I'm sure Jen has something to add. I brought it up because this is a perfect illustration of how this whole "Lost" watching experiment we do is an open process. Jen and I don't have all the answers and we learn as much from you as you can potentially learn from us. So, thanks for keeping us real.

Now pass the candy bar.

Jen Chaney: Yes, my memory may have been fuzzy on Swoosie Kurtz saying at some point that she wasn't really Locke's mom. I should say, however, that some posters on other Web sites have raised the same question: Is it possible Alpert could be Locke's dad? I am not an expert on kidney donation, so maybe someone can enlighten me, but I don't think it has to be a family member if there is an exact match, right? Again, could be totally wrong.

I think the age thing is what's throwing me. If Emily was dating someone twice her age, then Cooper would have to be 30 years older than John. And he simply never looked that much older. Batmanuel, on the other hand, never ages so he would always look in the mid 30s range.

Anyway, we'll let the debate continue. Chat begins now.

Lost in Alexandria: Hey there,

I think the biggest question from last night isn't how Locke is going to move the island, but came from the captain before he bit it, which was, "What's that on his arm?"

Maybe something that keeps Keamy from feeling the effects of the island?

Finally, Ben seems genuenly disturbed by the lost of Alex, not like I stole this child from some crazy french lady and raised her as my own, but like this is my gene pool, did we ever get the back story about Ben and Rousseau?

Jen Chaney: That is a stellar observation. If you look at this screenshot, it kinda looks like Keamy is picking up XM satellite radio on his bicep. But your theory -- that somehow he has managed to stave off the effects of "island illness" with some special device -- makes a lot more sense.

Again raising the question, who is helping Keamy? And who is this Keamy character, really?

Liz Kelly: See, I thought it was some kind of explosive device. Which would explain why Keamy warned the captain not to shoot him by showing him the thing. As in "Don't shoot me, or we all go up in flames."

Burke, Va.: I am just curious - was anyone else as upset as I was with Channel 7 for running those warnings throughout the entire show? It ruined the show for me. I appreciate concern for safety but when I checked neither Ch. 4 nor Ch.9 were running similar warnings. Plus, why the need to do it throughout the whole show? If they understood the Lost audience, they would realize most of us tune in from the start. It just seemed less about safety and more about Ch. 7 blowing its own horn about how on top of things they are while ruining the only show I watch religiously.

If other people complain, could the Post kindly tell Ch. 7 to smarten up.

Thanks

Liz Kelly: Hi Burke -- I watched on HD and they only ran the tornado warnings over the commercials. Which I thought was nice.

Arlington, Va.: So last night Christian said Aaron was "where he was supposed to be." Didn't that woman tell Claire she was supposed to raise Aaron, no one else? I think these conflicting viewpoints could be key to the story line.

Jen Chaney: Thank you for bringing this up. Tthat choice of words -- "He is where he is supposed to be" -- has been used multiple times this season. Miles said it to Kate when he was being held hostage by Locke -- "I am exactly where I am supposed to be" -- and I believe Ben chose that same phrasing at some point, too.

It suggests that destiny is playing a role in what's happening, or that the characters involved have some greater understanding of the big picture. In this particular instance, I thought Christian meant that Aaron is where he is supposed to be because the child must live.

Claire -- and we didn't mention it in the blog, so we should certainly address this issue here -- is dead. Some suspected this earlier because it was hard to imagine how she could have survived the explosion. When Christian summoned her on the beach, it seemed to me that he was calling her to the other side, if you will. He had to pick up baby Aaron to entice her over, but left him behind because Aaron still has some living to do.

Liz, am I blowing smoke (but not the smoke monster kind) or does this sound right?

Liz Kelly: Nope, you're right on target here.

And I was thinking about this whole notion of dead people returning to (seemingly) do Jacob's bidding... as I mentioned in the blog or somewhere, the dead -- Christian, Horace and now Claire -- seem to be Jacob's foot soldiers. But the living dead seem so wildly out of character (hence the freaky, leering Claire in the cabin last night) that it's reminiscent of Stephen King's "Pet Cemetery" -- where reanimated pets came back, but were a little off somehow.

In fact, one could make the case that Eko's brother was also another one of Jacob's foot soldiers. This unfortunately raises some questions about Walt, too.

Or I'm wildly wrong. Which isn't exactly out of the question.

Jen Chaney: We may have been wildly wrong at least a couple of times today, so wouldn't be a first. I do think we're right at least about Claire being dead, though. That seems undeniable.

Not Shlomo: Dear Lost Ladies,

Now that it's become clear that Locke has long been intend to be the Island's salvation, what does that tells about the song and dance that has led up to this point over four seasons? If Locke is the chosen one, why didn't the Others capture him right off the bat? Why go after Claire and the children? Why torture Kate, Sawyer and Jack? Ben knew the plane's manifest, did Alpert? Wouldn't Alpert have made a bee-line to Locke now that his was finally on the Island?

I like the direction Lost is going, but it brings into question a lot that has transpired so far over the years.

Liz Kelly: Well, although LindeCuse have said in the past that they have had a clear idea of how the show would end from day one, they had no way of knowing if the show would survive long enough to see that conclusion or be able to reach it without stretching on and on just to satisfy advertisers. Now that they have an end-date in sight, they are free to optimize each remaining episode and get their original plan on track for wrap up sometime in 2010.

But, come on, this is a TV show -- and we have to suspend disbelief just a little to scrape any enjoyment out of the experience.

Jen Chaney: I am not convinced Locke really is the chosen one. He thinks he is but that may not turn out to be the case.

I have to say, at the end of every season I feel like I have to rewatch the entire series again with that new info in mind, to make sure everything connects. This is such a complicated show to process, especially over the course of several years. Your questions are valid ones, for sure. There may be valid answers but I must admit I don't know what they are necessarily. Readers, chime in and help out a gal who only got four hours' sleep.

Baltimore, Md.: Insane episode last night...Richard Alpert is a creeper.

So in the beginning Emily Locke was going on a date with a man twice her age. I'm assuming she was 16 so he would be 32 or somewhere around there. Are we to assume that she was meeting to see John Locke's dad? From past episodes I didn't really notice a 16 year age difference between them both. Thoughts?

Namaste,

Laura

Jen Chaney: I assumed she was meeting Richard Alpert, which is why I said in today's post that he must be Locke's real father. The fact that she got hit by a car -- not unlike Anthony Cooper and Juliet's ex, both in accidents that seemed to be "arranged" by the Mittelos/Others peeps -- further connected her back to Alpert in my mind.

Jen Chaney: But as we established in the intro, I could be high on Jack's sleeping pills.

Liz Kelly: Well, to come at this question wearing my Celebritology hat, I would totally prefer to hook up with Richard Alpert than Anthony Cooper. (No offense, Kevin Tighe).

Jen Chaney: And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. I think that solves this mystery once and for all.

Midtown DC: Love Lost, love the Chat.

Just like some of the Lost characters I feel like I'm having flashbacks. After the last 3 episodes my girl and I have the same conversation. Me: "Nothing happened. I'm getting tired of details, I want an actual answer to something big." GF: "You're crazy, we learned a lot."

Where do you come down on this?

Jen Chaney: Yes.

Actually, I'm in the middle, leaning toward GF's side on this one. Generally, I think we are getting a lot more answers this season than last. And the episodes seem to be leading us somewhere. But there are times when I'm ready for a big reveal -- like last night, when I thoroughly expected to meet Jacob and realize he's Locke's doppelganger -- and then that doesn't happen.

Is it fair to say you're both right?

Liz Kelly: Jen, you're a born politician!

I'm in the "we learned a lot" camp, so I was pretty satisfied, though I do feel like we got ripped off just a little with promises of a Jacob reveal only to see Christian Shepard yet again.

But if it's action you're after, I think you might get some starting next week -- what with Keamy's aggressive return to the island and all.

Salmon, Idaho: Hi ladies, Can you explain this: Alex was kidnapped by Ben 16 years ago. Horace has been dead for 12 years. Are we to believe that Work Man, Jr., brought an infant home to the barracks without raising any eyebrows? Where was little Alex (about 4 yrs old) when the Purge went down? Something doesn't add up, methinks.

Liz Kelly: Okay, this is a good point. Alex was indeed four at the time of the purge. Which would lead me to believe that Ben didn't adopt her as an infant because -- as far as we know -- she wasn't around at purge time. Jen?

Jen Chaney: Can we chalk this up to the Ben-lies-like-all-the-time-so-he-was-lying-about-when-she-was-adopted theory that's so popular with the kids these days?

Liz Kelly: Okay, we'll go with the convenient "Ben's a liar liar pants on fire" out.

Locke is not the ONE: I agree that Locke isn't the chosen one. I get the idea that Alpert et al. thought he may be but he proved them wrong again and again. Him failing the "Dalai Lama" test is just one example. He may have been a possibility, and a false messiah, but he has proven to not be the true savior. He is too selfish, violent, and afraid.

Liz Kelly: Right -- he's pulled in two different directions. There's the forthright John who thinks he is the one and the real John, the one that creeps out and delights in killing chickens and gets a little power hungry from time to time. He's Salieri. The question is "Who is Amadeus?"

Bad Locke: Locke and his knife. Alpert told him no, Abaddon told him yes.

Locke walking into the cabin, with his knife, was straight from Empire Strikes Back when Luke walked into the cave, with his lightsaber, and met... His father. So, maybe Christian is the real daddy. Again.

Liz Kelly: If so, that Christian Shepard is one virile guy.

Although we have seen John get protective of Claire in the past, something tells me that wasn't motivated by sibling love.

Jen Chaney: I think an intended "Empire" homage -- especially since there have been about 800 this season -- is not out of the question. But I also don't think it means Christian is Locke's dad.

As for Locke's protectiveness of Claire, I feel like she subconsciously reminds him of his mother: A young girl, pregnant by accident, etc. And the young Emily looked a little like young Claire to me, too. Since Locke was abandoned by his mother as a baby, perhaps he feels a particular need to protect and nurture Aaron.

Brooklyn, N.Y.: I love your analysis each week! Thanks for sorting out all of the theories of Lost. My head hurts a little from trying to figure it all out.

I was thinking about your theory that Ben and Locke are brothers. I think I have to disagree. Emily Locke (played by Swoozie Kurtz), was actually not lying about being his mother. She just conned him to get his kidney so Anthony Cooper would give her money. http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Deus_Ex_Machina

Doc Jenson suggests that Ben and Locke are just on similar paths, and maybe Ben took Locke's place until the Others were able to finally bring him to the island. Now that Locke is there and is discovering his destiny, Ben is no longer the leader. Thoughts?

Jen Chaney: Doc Jensen is a smart man and he could very well be right. I just never trusted Cooper so I always maintained a seed of doubt -- be it logical or not -- that maybe he wasn't really Locke's father.

And I clearly had a brain freeze this a.m. when I said Swoozie said she was lying. I must have thought she was lying but I don't think the character actually said that. It's been a long week, people.

Liz Kelly: Seriously -- if Swoosie really is Locke's mom, it just seems odd that producers would choose to name Ben's mom "Emily," too. Unless Alpert & co. are scouring the earth for men with superhero complexes born to women named "Emily."

Nova, Fairfax, Va.: I completely do not understand Claire. When did she die? Why would she give up Aaron? She was clearly a live person described in earlier seasons. What did I miss?

Jen Chaney: Two schools of thought on this: One is that Claire died in the explosion and was a ghost of sorts in the scenes that followed with Miles and Sawyer.

I, however, subscribe to school No. 2: Claire sustained a serious head injury after the explosion. She complained of a headache but insisted she was fine. But once they got to the beach, whatever cranial bleeding or what have you was happening got the best of her and she died. At that point, Christian came to her and asked his daughter to join him in Walking Dead Town. She obliged, but left Aaron behind because he still must live.

And yes, she was alive in previous seasons. The scenario described above does not change that.

Liz Kelly: I don't think they made it to the beach -- in fact, Sawyer was conspicuously absent in last night's episode. I can't believe we didn't even get a "we musta made a wrong turn at Albuquerque" moment.

But I'm with Jen on the rest -- Claire is dead and probably died in her sleep or was somehow led to her death by the ghost of Christian Shepard. I hope, though, the producers keep her around as a recurring character.

Jen Chaney: Liz is right, they camped on the jungle and not on the beach.

I wish I was at the beach right now, though ... with Sawyer. Not so much Miles, though, much as I relish his sarcasm.

Liz Kelly: Jen -- are you sure you wouldn't rather be at the beach with Duran Duran's John Taylor?

Jen Chaney: Oh, that is so true, Miss Liz. So true.

Bender again: Since someone stole my prior point --

Will Hillary join forces with Widmore to find the Island so that she can manipulate time and space to get the nomination?

Jen Chaney: Great. Thanks for spoiling the game changer in the finale for everyone.

Liz Kelly: Well, but what we still don't know is whether Hillary will be wearing a pantsuit or a skirt in that episode.

The Chosen One: I don't think Alpert (who is as hot as ever!) still believes that Locke is The Chosen One. He had doubts when Locke was a kid, and maybe the Island is testing him.

Liz Kelly: Right, Locke does not meet Alpert's chosen one criteria, but he's still serving a purpose in whatever game it is that Jacob is running. What is that game, though? We still don't know whether Jacob is a good or a malevolent force, so this could be going anywhere at this point.

Jen Chaney: I think Alpert still has some belief in Locke, though. He was the one who convinced John that he shouldn't kill his dad in front of the Others, as Ben requested.

So while Alpert may have doubts, I think he is rooting for Locke in a way.

Bethesda: Hey Burke, just be glad that "Lost" is on channel 7. I watched "The Office" and "30 Rock" on channel 4's HD channel, and they not only bumped the picture from wide HD to normal TV, but cut out the sound entirely whenever the warning scroll ran! Channel 7's HD channel only changed the picture, but kept the sound.

I don't mind having the weather warnings -- I'd be pretty grateful to know if something were heading toward Bethesda (though probably I'd find out 15 minutes too late, since I start watching on DVR at 10:15 or so to cut out the commercials). But they don't have to ruin the whole show!

Jen Chaney: Sound cut out on "30 Rock" for me, too, also in Bethesda. I was on pins and needles during "Lost," though, just waiting for Doug Hill to interrupt right as they cut to Jacob for the first time.

"You want to see Jacob, John? Well, here he..."

"This just in from the Channel 7 Storm Alert/Center/Tracker/Super-Fighting Machine...."

Bizarro World: Hi Ladies,

I love your chats/posts/crazy research...keep it up.

After last night's episode, I kept thinking of 2 references: The M. Night Shyamalan movie Unbreakable and Seinfeld, the bizarro episode where Elaine encounters bizarro Jerry, George and Kramer.

In comic books, every good must have an evil counterpart

(as is the premise of Unbreakable, right?)...So while I see your brothers connection between Ben and Locke, I raise you the simple good vs. evil counterpart...and I'm not sure the answer is so clear.

Also, from last week or the week before, it seems that Widmore may be Ben's constant and vice versa, no? This would be another explanation as to why they can't kill each other.

Finally, Hurley. I believe Hurley (much like Australia) is the key to the whole game.

And please let us know more detailed thoughts on Claire's appearance last night!

Thanks again for your obsession!

Liz Kelly: I like that -- but you have to wonder, who is good and who is evil? My first reaction would be to pin the evil tag on Ben, but if you think for a minute, John's done some pretty evil things in the hopes of getting his way, too -- pointing a gun at Hurley, killing Naomi, etc.

I like to think of myself, by the way, as the Bizarro Jen.

Jen Chaney: On the constant thing: Interesting idea. I am very unclear on the whole Widmore and Ben thing at this point.

And Liz, that is so weird because I thought I was Bizarro Liz. (Actually, I might just be bizarro period.)

15th&L: Liz and Jen,

I woke up with in the middle of the night with the following thought - if, in fact, some Others can travel off the island (Ben, Richard Alpert, Ethan and Mr. Friendly) why wouldn't Ben send Alex off the island once he knew that Windmore and his boat were coming for him/them?

Do you think it was a leadership thing (kind of like FDR's son serving in WWII) or an island/time travel thing (Alex may not be one of the Others who CAN travel off the island).

Jen Chaney: I love that I am not the only one who wakes up in the middle of night with thoughts of "Lost."

I am inclined to believe your second theory. Alex was born on the island. And I still, as I have said before, believe anyone born on the island has some "issues," which is why I am concerned about young Aaron's fate. Ben would certainly know that and for that reason, might not want to send Alex off somewhere.

Who's Amadeus?: Tracey Jordan...

Oh, sorry...That's "30 Rock" not "The Black Rock."

My husband recently informed me that "Mittelos" is an anagram for "lost time." I think that's been discussed many times already, I just can't remember the details anymore. I'm so happy I found you guys and Doc Jensen, otherwise I'd have no clue what's going on because Season 1 and 2 stuff has left my memory! Thanks!

Liz Kelly: We're happy you found us, too.

What I'm not happy about is the neighbor's car alarm that has been going off for the past five minutes. Don't they know I'm doing important work in here?!

Jen Chaney: That's just inconsiderate.

Re: Mittelos and Lost Time. It has been discussed and LindeCuse, I believe, confirmed they intentionally came up w/ that name as an anagram. I wonder if, perhaps, anyone who works with the Mittelos team -- Abaddon, Richard, Ethan -- is someone who doesn't age.

Hey, I just remembered something tangentially related. In one of the Lost mobisodes, Ethan tells Jack that he lost his wife in childbirth, which reminded me of Ben's mom Emily. I wonder if all of these life stories are overlapping in some way because of the space-time continuum, which is why sometimes we make connections between certain characters being related?

Liz Kelly: First the car alarm, now this. My head is going to implode.

Carroll, OH: This may have been discussed already but when Locke mentions moving the island could he be, to quote Doc Brown, speaking 4th dimensionally? Not moving it to a different locale, but to a different time?

Liz Kelly: Right. He could. He could be talking about a different geographic location, a different time, a different plane of existence, a parallel world.

Jen Chaney: I think that's right. I don't think Locke is going to load the island into a U-Haul and try to relocate. (Don't you hate it when your friends ask you to move an island? It's such a pain and all you usually get out of it is a free six-pack of Dharma beer.)

And you mean Doc Jensen, right? Because Doc Brown makes a heck of a soda but I don't think he writes about "Lost." But if he does, I love him even more.

Bailey's XRoads: I don't think that Richard could be Locke's Dad. In the very beginning, Locke's grandmother was telling her daughter she disapproved of her boyfriend, so theoretically knows who her boyfriend is. When Locke is born and Richard comes, though, the nurse asks "Is that the father?" and Locke's mom says "I have no idea who that is." She didn't say "No, I have no idea" so I guess conceivably she never met her daughter's baby Daddy, but it seems unlikely.

Liz Kelly: True, that thought crossed my mind, too. But she could've been lying or not wanting to acknowledge that this man had any right to block her plans to get the kid adopted out.

Raleigh, NC: From you picture of Keamy, are we to believe that while aboard the boat he had time to shave his pits but not his face. Last week Jack's chest was clean shaven after he'd been off the island for several years. What is it about the island that causes facial hair to grow but not chest/pit hair?!

Liz Kelly: Another one of the island's unexplained enigmas. Another is the mystery of Desmond's disappearing shirt buttons.

Jen Chaney: Keamy also has superb teeth.

Desmond's shirt buttons disappearing is not a mystery. It's called working it, baby. Awwww, yeah.

Liar Liar Land: How about this to explain Alex: Rousseau never really says who takes her. Only says, "they took her." The 'they' could have been Richard Alpert, et al, who then give her to Ben to raise once the purge has been carried out on the Dharma people.

Jen Chaney: Very, very true. And that may be one of the reasons why Rousseau would get even more offended when Ben calls her his daughter.

Hide the Island: I don't think Locke was lying when he said that Christian told him to move the island. John may be a lot of things, but he isn't good at being a creative, on-the-spot liar like Ben. Besides, what would be his fake, trying to move the island plan of attack? I think that was what they really told him, and that they gave him some clues or direction about how to accomplish that. It makes sense. Moving the island would close the hole in the compass bearing that lets people in and out. Which is why after they did it, Jack can't find the island ever again. Have we found all the hatches yet? Also, the recurring Horace wood-chopping was eerily twin peaks-esque. Cannot WAIT for next week!

Jen Chaney: So many things about last night's ep were "Twin Peaks"-esque. That whole scene in the cabin is another example.

To clarify: I don't think Locke was lying in a manipulative way, the way Ben does. I think he genuinely believes that he is supposed to move the island. But I wonder if he is interpreting the information Christian (or Jacob) shared with him in the wrong way. As we said this a.m., "How can I save the island?" may not have even been the right question to ask.

Again, I could be totally wrong but I feel like whatever happens at the close of the season, it won't be a happy ending.

Liz Kelly: I do like your idea, though, about the island move being the reason Jack can't get back. That makes total sense.

In fact, it is reminiscent of 1983's fine sci-fi epic, "Krull," in which the bad guy's castle rose in a new location every morning.

OK help, please! : All these people think this episode confirms Locke is in the coffin, but to me I would say is proves he's not.

But why do they think it's confirmation of that??

And also - AWESOME AWESOME episode.

Jen Chaney: Well, we are supposed to find out who is in the coffin before the season ends. But I don't know that this episode proves it's Locke. I'd have to hear the arguments in favor of Locke being in the coffin. I think one could easily make a counter-argument.

Lost, IN: Logged on late so just tossing out a comment. Thanks for The Tick reference.

Jen Chaney: You are welcome.

Palo Alto, Calif.: How are the Losties going to feed 3-month-old Aaron until he gets back to civilization (presumably in a few days, given the promo for next week)? For that matter, what did Ben feed baby Alex, stolen when she was only a week old? Dharma formula? Why would Dharma need formula if their women can't conceive on the island? Inquiring minds want to know...

Jen Chaney: What is this, Babycenter.com?

I don't know what Aaron will be eating. I am doubtful there is formula on the island. And Hurley's candy bars are not a good substitute for breastmilk.

Liz Kelly: I don't want to ever read "Hurley" and "breastmilk" in the same sentence again.

Doc Brown: That was a Back to the Future reference, Jen.

Some poor Lostie needs a nap!

Jen Chaney: Oh, of course! And thank you for bringing it up, since it allows me to make the requisite, weekly flux capacitor reference.

Sorry, my brain was not in a McFly place when I was reading that question.

Washington, DC: Questions About Jacob: Liz, you said that Locke is still serving a purpose in whatever game Jacob is running.

Actually, I don't think that we can assume that Jacob, whatever he/it turns out to be, is running things. Maybe, maybe not. Remember his desperate whispered plea to Locke last season: "Help me!"

So........Jacob may actually be as much a victim as some of the other characters. It's just layers and layers, huh?

Jen Chaney: It's entirely possible Jacob is an emperor with no clothes. He may not exist at all, I agree with that.

He also could be Locke's doppelganger, as I continue to contend just because I like saying it.

Liz Kelly: He could also be another entity locked in battle with a nemesis -- much like the Ben vs. Widmore set up, Jacob (or whatever Jacob represents) could be one supernatural force, but not the only one.

Jack's appendicitis: Maybe there's no larger meaning to Jack getting sick. Maybe it's just a plot device to get him off the island. Assuming the Oceanic Six are the people Sayid takes off the island in the boat, there's no way Jack would've gone in the first load if he weren't sick.

Liz Kelly: But Juliet took care of that little appendix problem for him and Jack actually seemed much better last night.

Locke's Destiny: Didn't we learn a few seasons back (don't know which one, because I watched the first three seasons back-to-back on DVD) that John wasn't the chosen one? I seem to remember him sitting on a hill with Alpert, around the time he was supposed to sacrifice is dad to at the temple, and Alpert saying that they thought he was the "one" but now weren't so sure. Am I remembering wrong?

Liz Kelly: No, you recall correctly. But maybe I'm just wary or over-analytical, because I trust nothing anyone on this show says -- especially the Others and time travelers like Alpert and Abaddon. I assumed that was another test for John -- see how he reacts when he's told he isn't the one.

Which actually calls to mind another test John failed -- Ben asked him to kill his own father (Cooper). John wasn't able to, but did manipulate Sawyer into doing it. John just can't seem to make the right decisions.

Emily in Rosslyn: Does this mean my son will be born with a superhero complex?

Liz Kelly: Right. Start looking for a good therapist now. And ix-nay on the science camp.

Jen Chaney: Also, please keep all knives and comic books away from him.

Bristow, VA: I am also getting the impression that LindeCuse have decided to write a different show than the one that they started out to. I don't believe for a second, for example, that they had any notions of the whole Widmore/Ben dynamic at the beginning. Which means that there will likely be many, many elements from Seasons 1-3 that will never get resolved, both mysteries that won't get explained and actual events that no longer make any sense in light of new information. I guess we'll just have to enjoy the journey over these next two seasons, without expecting any comprehensive explanations.

Liz Kelly: Right, though they get an A for effort so far in tying in as many strands as possible. Now if only they could figure out a plausible reason for that four-toed statue. (Or was it three-toed? Six?)

Jen Chaney: They claim the statue will be explained at some point.

I am still hopeful that we will, eventually, get a somewhat comprehensive explanation that will, of course, contain a few minor holes.

Fairfax, Va.: No mention of young John's picture of a person being pummeled by a pillar of smoke, which Richard noticed on the wall? What do you think could be up with that?

Jen Chaney: Ah, yes, that was interesting. It suggests that maybe Locke is a remote viewer of some sort, who can see the future on the island? Or that he has been there before?

Liz, little help?

Liz Kelly: The man is having visions, much like young Walt. Who may well be another of Richard Alpert's little projects. I'm still wondering if/when we're going to see Walt resurface. Jen, any intel from the LindeCuse team?

Jen Chaney: I don't think anyone specifically asked about Walt during that conference call a few weeks ago. But that is a great point -- Locke and Walt have the same gift, tied together nicely by the fact that Lil' Locke was playing backgammon in that scene, something he and Walt used to do together.

Confused: What coffin?

Liz Kelly: Re-watch last year's season finale. Jack goes to an ill-attended funeral for am mystery honoree.

Jen Chaney: Causing much speculation in the blogosphere for several months, which will hopefully be resolved in the next few weeks.

St. Petersburg, Fla.: Guys - well, I'm pretty sure I'm going straight to hell (or

perhaps the island). After last night's episode, I've decided that I really like the character of Martin Keamy, not as a role model, of course, but as a really nasty plot element that propels the story forward in great big jumps. (That said, I was really amused by his inability last night to off Michael.)

Anyway, you really couldn't get any further away from my single most favorite Lost character, Hurley. Consider me conflicted.

Liz Kelly: Okay, and pit hair or not, Keamy's just hot.

Jen Chaney: Keamy is weirdly hot. And scary.

Washington DC: Please don't go all "Twin Peaks" on me. I won't be able to sleep for imagining a demented dancing dwarf on the Island. Dead Folks Walkin' is one thing; demented dwarves another.

Jen Chaney: I can and will get all "Twin Peaks" on you. I like to do it whenever possible.

Liz Kelly: Okay, just so long as you go all "Twin Peaks: Season 1" on us, and not "Twin Peaks: (I suck out loud) Season 2."

Arlington, Va.: Why didn't John recognize Alpert when he saw him in season 3, when Alpert gave him that file on Sawyer? He should have recognized him. I don't care that he was so young when he first saw him. Also, when he was in high school, and the principal mentioned the school and Alpert's name, John had a weird look in his eye when that name was mentioned. Did anyone else wonder why John didn't recognize Alpert?

Jen Chaney: I chalk this up to a. Locke not remembering Alpert on the island or b. the writers not having formulated the full backstory on Locke and Alpert.

Liz Kelly: And remember, Locke has been through a lot in the intervening years -- having his (alleged) dad steal his kidney and push him out of a window, dating the chick from "Married With Children," going on his walkabout and surviving a plane crash. I'll forgive him the little memory lapse. He spent, what, probably no more than 6 minutes total in Alpert's company when he was a small boy?

Jen Chaney: But it is true that the high school Locke seems to vaguely remember Mittelos. But I guess there was les time in between the visit as a 9-year-old and high school.

Ottawa, Canada: What happened to the notion that if Charlie succeeded and drowned in the Looking Glass, Aaron AND Claire would get in to a rescue helicopter? Because if Claire's dead, that would mean dear Charlie died for no reason.

Jen Chaney: Well, it would mean Charlie willingly died for something that didn't happen. But did he die for no reason at all if Claire is dead? That remains to be seen.

Aaron at least managed to get off the island. But as I said before, I don't know if that is a good thing.

Manassas, Va.: What are your theories on the phone that the helicopter pilot dropped? Are they supposed to follow it, or use it to track Kreamy and company and stay away?

Liz Kelly: My guess is that Jack and the rest of the Losties will figure out soon enough that Keamy and his crew are hostile and that they can keep track of where Keamy is using the GPS.

But I do have a bad feeling about Jeff Fahey. Kindness of his kind is usually rewarded with death.

Jen Chaney: Interesting question since we don't know who dropped the pack. We assume it's Lapidus but it's possible, theoretically, that Keamy discovered it and threw it down to the Losties as a ruse.

I also can't even remember "Back to the Future" references today, so I could be full of beans.

Boulder, CO: Have you ever considered Christian might actually BE Jacob?

Jen Chaney: I have considered it. And I think it's possible. With Jacob, anything is possible. He could well be Cheech Marin.

Liz Kelly: Okay, that's it for today's show. Lots of questions remain and, as ever, some new ones have got us stumped. See you back here next week.

Jen Chaney: Yes, thanks, as always, for raising good points, questioning our logic and, occasionally, making us laugh.

We'll see you back here next week when we'll undoubtedly have even more "Lost" leftovers to chew on.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity