The Reliable Source

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, July 16, 2008; 12:00 PM

In today's column: James Brown's estate puts his Kennedy Center Honor medallion up on the auction block! Hillary changes her hair. Kimmel and Silverman -- game over. Satire has always been a tricky business. And The Palm accidentally gets the crank calls meant for Nancy Pelosi.

In Wednesday's column: James Brown's estate puts his Kennedy Center Honor medallion up on the auction block! Hillary changes her hair. Kimmel and Silverman -- game over. Satire has always been a tricky business. And The Palm accidentally gets the crank calls meant for Nancy Pelosi.

In recent days: Angelina Jolie finally has those babies -- welcome, Knox and Vivienne. John Lewis goes bare-legged. Michelle Obama pledges a sorority. Foreign policy hottie Samantha Power gets hitched in Ireland. Tommy Bromwell can't come to the phone 'cause he's in jail. Fringe Festival monologuist gets busted -- or his prop does, anyway -- by the TSA. Carla Bruni wants to give you her chrysanthemum.And finally, sad news to those Tony Reali stalkers stalkers who lurk in this chat -- the young ESPN star went and got married.

A transcript follows.

E-mail and bookmark us.

Reliable Source Columns

Amy Argetsinger: Good morning everyone! How slow is it in July? It's SOOOO slow, that yesterday People.com's big breaking news was the fact that two weeks ago a member of Menudo got kicked off of a Delta flight because he refused to turn off his iPod. Actually, this was a more interesting story than it should have been because (1) who knew that iPods are a prohibited portable electronic device? (2) who knew that Menudo was still proliferating? Anyway, let's get it started.

Bored at lun, CH: What, no side by side picture of Hilary's hair? No greatest hits of parts and poofiness?

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, doh. Of course there are photos, and of course they ended up in print only. I'll beg our cousins over at wpni to add the pics, and will let you know if they're up by the end up the hour.

What did you mean: when you put in the column the other day, "(oooh -- you hear that, Deltas?)" Which Deltas?

Amy Argetsinger: Delta Sigma Theta -- rival to the Alpha Kappa Alphas, who just gave Michelle Obama an honorary membership.

Brangelina twins: I enjoyed all the tabloid stories about how Brad wouldn't let Angie's brother, James, in the delivery room like he did for Shiloh's birth. That is bizarre -- I would not have wanted my brother around during any of my C-sections, and he wouldn't have been interested. And I think very highly of my brother.

Roxanne Roberts: I'm with you. There are things brothers (or any other family member) just don't need to see. Of course, a woman can invite anyone she wants and I think the baby's father should be there is he wants---but anyone else but hospital staff----eh. That what waiting rooms are for.

Hillary's hair: I thought your coverage of this change was interesting. My husband said, "So?" and I explained that changing your part is not as easy as it sounds -- I know that when my part is not in its natural place, it just feels weird. Shorter is interesting, too -- do you think it's just for summer, or she let it be longer when campaigning to look more feminine?

washingtonpost.com: Hillary After and Before

Amy Argetsinger: Thank you very much, glad you liked the item. I think it must be a new day in America, because instead of getting hundreds of angry e-mails saying "how DARE you trivialize the accomplishments of a female politician by focusing on her hairstyle; you would never do this to a man!" (uh, yes we would) -- we only got ONE angry e-mail from someone saying "how DARE you run such an unflattering photo of Hillary Clinton!"

Sorry, we didn't mean to. The truth is that it was damn hard to get any photo of the new hairstyle, the only option being a CSPAN screengrab, and you take what you can get there, unfortunately.

Roll Call: Is Ms. Roberts late AGAIN? Detention for you!

Amy Argetsinger: No, she's just a slow typer.

Pledging: Isn't it a little late to join a sorority? It's an experience to have when you are a single college girl. BTW, were either of you ladies sorority chicks in college?

Roxanne Roberts: The interesting thing about historically African-American sororities is the work they do AFTER they leave college: A huge amount of community service, mentoring, networking, etc. That's part of the ongoing loyalty so many members feel over their lifetime.

And, no, I wasn't a sorority chick, mostly because I have a checkered college career. Amy spent four years at UVa, but never joined the Greeks.

Silverman/Kimmel: I am really sad about this break up. They seemed so cute and normal. And of course funny. But what do I know?

Amy Argetsinger: I sort of know what you mean. Isn't it funny how we project certain assumptions on celebrities -- i.e., "he seems smart" or "she seems so sensible" or "they seem like good parents" or "they seem like a good couple." -- based really only on seeing them on a couple of talk shows or paparazzi shots. When really, that's just their charisma talking. And of course we don't even really know what's going on inside our own friends' relationships, but we think we know with celebrities.

Falls Church, Va.: I'm pretty sure anything that sends out an electronic current is "prohibited" during takeoff and landing.

Also, I think what they do in Puerto Rico is take kids and put them in baseball camps, and if they can't play, they're kidnapped and taken to be a member of the "new" Menudo.

Roxanne Roberts: Do we think Ricky Martin would have been better off as a left-fielder?

iPod: Um, Roxanne. I think the problem with the iPod was that he was going to use it during take off when no one is allowed to use electronic devices.

Roxanne Roberts: Um....did I say otherwise? Or do I strike you as electronically challenged? (I am, but I try to hide it.) And no, I don't own an IPod but am thinking about it.

Michelle Obama: I love Michelle Obama, can't stand the AKA's (My mom's a Delta, they're fierce rivals...and have a better call too!) Anyway, "Honorary" is just that, "Honorary." It's just like when Harvard issues an Honorary Ph.D. You can't actually use it. Your income isn't going to go up. It just means that Harvard thinks you're awesome. That's what Michelle's getting. Indication that she's awesome (Which she is!). I'll still love the future first lady in that horrible pink and green.

Amy Argetsinger: Remind me of the Delta call, can you? I can remember the AKA one, which was catchy ("we're the soul-stepping sorors of the A-K-A" -- or something like that.)

It's been fun seeing all the flocks of pink-and-green ladies walking around town this week.

Helen Mirren and her Bikini: So have you seen the photos of Helen Mirren vacationing with her husband and wearing a bikini? This woman needs to share her DNA with the world for the good of science. She looks fabulous and still age-appropriate.

washingtonpost.com: Mirren in Bikini ( Daily Mail, July 15)

Amy Argetsinger: Dang.

AKA, rush bait: You know the AKA's did that at least in part to say Ms. Obama's a member when rushing. Who doesn't want the (potential) first African American First lady as a member? Back when I was doing the rushing for Pi Phi, we always heralded Mary Margaret Truman (daughter of the Pres) and made sure everyone knew Cindy Crawford "pledged." No one was sure what happened after her pledging...

Amy Argetsinger: I was going to say, somebody better offer Cindy McCain a bid -- but of course, she's always a Kappa Alpha Theta, University of Southern California chapter.

Washington, D.C.: So is the new Pitt boy pronounced Knox Lee-on or Knox Lee-own?

Amy Argetsinger: I assume it's the full-on French pronounciation -- lay-ON. But what do I know. Hey, notice that all of Angelina's boys have "X" names? Knox, Maddox, Pax.

Dexterity: Nancy Pelosi must be ambidextrous if she can loll in a bubble bath, eat chocolates and read. Or do a crossword puzzle? My book always falls in the water and I wouldn't even try to fill out a puzzle (have to engage too many brain cells). Doesn't help that the cat is sitting on the edge of the tub eyeing the bubbles while his tail floats in the water.

Roxanne Roberts: Maybe she has one of those tub trays that you can put stuff on. I'm a big bubble bath fan but tend toward magazines, which are less problematic when wet. My cats have had their share of tub mishaps and now steer clear until I drain out the water, then they spend 20 minutes rolling in the warm, empty tub. Very cute, if you like that sort of thing.

It just means that Harvard thinks you're awesome. : Not even that. It just means Harvard needs a popular speaker.

Roxanne Roberts: That too.

After and Before: Let's hope After is bad because it is a screen grab. It does look dreadful, and she is actually a good looking woman. I applaud your attempts to provide pictures, however.

I've gotten obsessed with the Chandra Levy case again. Gene Weingarten claims that the WaPo series solves the mystery, but that the murderer will never be prosecuted. Thoughts?

Amy Argetsinger: I tried to tease this news out of Sari Horwitz, one of the brains behind the Chandra series (and it is truly riveting), but she won't tell. They're keeping it pretty close to the vest, which suggests that there will be some stunning revelations out of this. It is beginning to sound more and more like a random-violence crime, isn't it?

Sororities: Actually, some sororities, like mine, Gamma Phi Beta, have what's called "Alumnae initiates." Essentially, that's someone who joins post-college. There are a lot of reasons why that might happen -- no interest in college, networking, philanthropy, daughter/sister/niece/etc. a member...

Speaking for myself, I've found the sorority alumnae group to be a good support network -- an "old girls club" if you will. Not all sorority alumna groups are simply "ladies who lunch." Particularly in this area, there are a lot of professional women who are members, and use it as a support and networking venue. (Also, for the moms in the group, the college members are a great source for babysitters!)

Roxanne Roberts: I think former sorority members fall into two camps: Professional and community support, or ladies who drink. Lunch is never a big factor.

Amy Argetsinger: Good news! Our kin at wpni have put the Hillary before-and-after photos up on the web -- click back on today's column to see.

Des Moines, Iowa: Sorry, but I think we all knew that iPods were a restricted electronic device. I even had to turn off my little battery-operated Yatzhee (sp) game on a flight once. Concerning iPods, since most people play them so loud I can hear them two rows away I wish they would ban them for the entire flight.

Amy Argetsinger: Yeah, well, I don't have an iPod. And my non-existent iPod doesn't have Menudo on it.

Roxanne and iPod: The largest groups of people in the world: Those who are planning to attend law school; Those who plan to write a book someday; Those who are thinking about getting an iPod

Roxanne Roberts: Law school is out for me. Might write a book...someday. So, should I get an IPod and download all my old-fashioned geezer music and podcasts....or will it ruin my life and cut me off from civilization?

Jen and John: What would their celeb couple nickname be? Any news on the pair, if they even still are one?

Amy Argetsinger: Hmmm... Meyerston? Jehn? There's just nothing with the magical ring of Vaughniston, is there?

RE: Honorary Delta Membership: Personally, if the Faber College chapter of the Delta fraternity grants Michelle's husband an honorary membership, I'll consider voting for him.

-The Grumpy Republican

Amy Argetsinger: Thanks for weighing in, Grumpy Repbub.

Downtown, D.C. -- Please help!: I know this probably doesn't fall under the realm of 'gossip' but I figured you high fashion ladies or a reader would know (and since it's a slow day...) -- where can I go in D.C. to get a suede Coach purse cleaned? I searched the archives of the WP chats and couldn't find an answer.

Roxanne Roberts: Have you tried a good shoe repair shop? They should be familiar with cleaning and repairing all sorts of skins, including suede.

Menudo: This is Puerto Rico's version of a student travel program. But just for guys.

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, okay. I thought it was more like a Destiny's Child for guys, but without a Beyonce anchor.

washingtonpost.com: Hillary After and Before

Chandra Levy: But GW's point was that the person couldn't be/wasn't going to be prosecuted. If it's random violence, that would probably mean that the police botched the investigation completely, rendering good evidence unusable in court. Fruit of the poisonous tree, etc., in lawyer-speak.

Amy Argetsinger: If it was random violence, then it's always hard to find the culprit, especially when time has washed away all the usable evidence, as was probably the case here. I don't know, and neither does Gene. We're all just waiting for the end of the story.

Woodbridge, Va.: I see Lou Pearlman is in prison for 25 years for fraud.

I wonder if any Backstreet Boy or 'NSync-er will visit him in the slammer?

Amy Argetsinger: Or Menudo?

Re:Pledging: Isn't it a little late to join a sorority?: It's not just AKA that does lots of community service, it's all the 26 National Panhellenic Conference (NPC)groups, each has a national philanthropy. My sorority's is the Susan G. Komen Foundation(breast cancer research), and we staff the National Race for the Cure and the Redskins Think Pink with the NFL. In addition, my local chapter adopts a family for the holidays, volunteers at Bethesda Cares and makes mailbox gifts for the kids at Childrens' Inn. So for all of you who thought that a sorority was silly songs and matching shirts at college, uh, no, it's about giving back to others, not the crap you see on some cable show about a rogue local college group. And we do have special initiates as alumnae. Rant over, thanks.

Roxanne Roberts: No problem.

Fairfax, Va.: The Menudo news brings a great question -- in your expert opinion -- what was the best of the boy bands? New Kids? New Edition? Backstreet Boys? Jackson 5? Menudo?

Amy Argetsinger: Hard to beat the Jackson 5, who actually had good music. But we're forgetting so many others. What about the Osmonds? Musical Youth? Herman's Hermits? Okay, Herman's Hermits come in a close second to the Jackson 5.

Rox -- get an iPod: I have mine filled with Geezer music! (Do you think ZZ Top ever envisioned old chicks like me jogging to their music?) My son takes pity on me sometimes and adds some cool tunes. But the iPod has made my workout so much easier. And you can also download stuff from NPR if you want a more serious tone.

Roxanne Roberts: Like.....hmmmm, like the oh-so-serious "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me."

Glover Park, D.C.: I have not had the time to make it through the whole Washington Post series, so I am relying on you guys. Does your paper actually answer the question of who killed Chandra Levy? And if so -- who did?

Amy Argetsinger: I don't know -- like I said, they're keeping this all a secret. Often we can sneek a peak at stories while they're in the system here -- but not this time. Rats.

All in favor of the 'Pod: Got an iPod years ago, now have my entire CD collection on it (well over 7,000 songs). I can honestly say it will change your life...for the better.

Amy Argetsinger: So what if you lose the iPod? Do you still have the CDs?

washingtonpost.com: Who Killed Chandra Levy?

Re coach purse: Iwould also contact a local Coach store or stop by one (mmmm new coach smell) to get their advice. They may have some do it yourself tips or could point you in the right direction.

Roxanne Roberts: Or even send it to Coach? A lot of established companies will repair their products for a fee, and you've got experts working on it.

iPods and Flying: I read yesterday that Rahm Emanuel told Sen. Obama (who famously uses his iPod) to keep his earbuds in his ears if he wants to be left alone on the campaign plane. Do you think this means he has to turn his off when the campaign plane is taking off and landing, or is that just for commercial flights?

Amy Argetsinger: Good question. I think the rules are completely different when you're on a campaign charter. Like, you can keep talking on your cells, and you can stand up during takeoff and surf down the aisles on the food trays, and you can just go crazy with gels and liquids.

Jen and John nickname: Animeyer, of course!

Amy Argetsinger: Yes, I think that's the best we can do.

All this sorority talk today: I fell like I am smack in the middle of that crappy Tom Wolfe novel...I mean, I saw this guy at the party, and I was so like, oh my God!

I've been forced to give up Celebritology because I favor pleated pants. Don't make me drop you guys too.

Roxanne Roberts: C'mon---this is the good side of sororities, not the spoiled mean chick bratty side. But I'm not clear how pleated pants or lack thereof fits in here....

Ellicott City, Md.: When and where are you guys appearing on TV these days? Where is Tucker now?

Amy Argetsinger: WRC Channel 4 on Friday afternoons around 4:15, generally. Here and there on random MSNBC shows or sometimes important investigative news programs like CNN Showbiz Tonight. Tucker last I saw was still doing talking-head punditry on other people's MSNBC shows.

Jen and John: It's Johnifer.

Roxanne Roberts: By the time we decide on one, they'll break up.

Waldorf, Md.: What do you all think Tony Danza has on his iPod?

Amy Argetsinger: I don't know, but I do think about this a lot. I'd say... show tunes and Journey.

I don't know, and neither does Gene. We're all just waiting for the end of the story. : Yikes, a little snarky there aren't we? Taking a swipe at Gene? Or are you just jealous that he knows the ending and you don't?

Roxanne Roberts: Amy is not be any snarkier than usual. She doesn't know, and we're pretty sure Gene doesn't either....unless he did it!

Herman's Hermits: was a boy band?

Amy Argetsinger: Maybe the original boy band. I think they were all under 18 when they formed; Peter Noone was only 15. And oh, if you ever see one of the old '60s TV clips, they LOOKED so young.

Reston, Va.: Another over-40 iPod user. Yes, get an iPod! And yes, I listen to Roxanne kick butt on Wait, Wait every week.

Roxanne Roberts: Sweet of you to say, even though I'm not on every week and don't always kick butt. But let's keep the myth going....

Re: Wait, Wait: I'll back up the plug for your show as a running companion, Roxanne. My husband and I are training for the Marine Corps Marathon and time the last hour or our long runs to be with "Wait, Wait" (we have Mp3 players with radios -- one reason NOT to get an iPod). We look oddly anti-social running together with headphones on, and then look like crazy people as we wildly laugh at the exact same time. Thanks for helping us through excruciating hours of exercise on Saturday mornings!

Roxanne Roberts: I love that! And isn't it great you have the same sense of humor?

Washington: I have a question about your jobs. It seems that everyone is on vacation this time of year -- does that make your job that much harder trying to find something interesting to write about? What can we do to help?

Amy Argetsinger: Yes. Not much is going on, but we still have the same amount of space to fill. It forces us to be more enterprising and creative, since news isn't just dropping from the trees, and sometimes we end up coming up with better stuff than in the fat, busy days of April and October, when it all just comes too easily. But still, we could use your help. The best way you can help is by punching a VIP in the face, preferably at The Palm or the Four Seasons, or possibly breaking up a power couple. Then contact us at reliablesource@washpost.com.

Weekend entertainment: Momma Mia or The Dark Knight? Now there's a clear cut choice.

Roxanne Roberts: So Dark Knight.

And you can just go crazy with gels and liquids. : Wow, fun! Shampoo fight at 3,000 feet!

Roxanne Roberts: Or something.

Matthew McConaughey: is the new voice of beef. Isn't that redundant?

Amy Argetsinger: Yes, doing radio spots for the National Cattleman's Beef Association. Bad choice, actually. Separated from images of his abs, McConaughey's voice is actually kind of unimpressive.

John and Jen: It's Johnaniston.

Amy Argetsinger: Yes. Maybe. I've got the feeling we won't have to worry about this too much longer.

Wait, wait: Amy - are you jealous that Roxanne is on and not you? Why don't they put you on as a team? Or do you get tired of being together?

Amy Argetsinger: Wait Wait has been Rox's gig for decades, since long before I ever knew her, since long before either of us did this column.

The John Lewis UPS story: I enjoyed this piece in your column, but it made me wonder....What other politician would look good in those UPS shorts?

washingtonpost.com: A Congressman Spends a Day in Uniform ( Reliable Source, July 15)

Amy Argetsinger: Good question. You really don't know until they don the shorts, though, you know?

New Yorker cover: Everyone else in the media universe has weighed in. Did you think it was funny, offensive, or missed the mark entirely?

Amy Argetsinger: It didn't offend me. Thought it was passably amusing. But I think Phil Kennicott (link to follow) made a good point in saying that it wasn't really satire, because satire holds up a mirror to let us see our own foibles whereas this was more the New Yorker letting its smug readers laugh at the fallacious assumptions of the yokels in fly-over country.

Indianapolis, Ind.: This might not fall under the category of gossip, but I just read that William Peterson is leaving CSI, and that Laurence Fishburne and John Malkovich are in talks to replace him. Who do you think would be better? I'm torn -- I like the show, but don't really like either of them.

Roxanne Roberts: I think Malkovich looks more like a dude who would enjoy murder investigations. Actually, looks more like a murderer, but you didn't ask that.

Snarky in Chevy Chase: So, if Brangelina has more kids (God forbid -- shades of Mia Farrow kid hoarding), how about they name the next boy Xerox?

Roxanne Roberts: Gotta be Xerxes.

Logan Circle, D.C.: I just moved to town and know few people. A couple girlfriends are coming to visit from home this weekend and want to go lively places where we would find lots of cute guys. Any suggestions?

Amy Argetsinger: Well, there are certainly lots of lively places filled with cute guys in the Logan/Dupont area. But.. not the kinds you're looking for. Anyone else?

Washington: Would you prefer if I were to punch a celebrity in the face at the Palm or at Camelot?

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, do I really have to choose just one?

washingtonpost.com: Kennicott: It's Funny How Humor Is So Ticklish ( Post, July 15)

So what if you lose the iPod? Do you still have the CDs? : The songs are also stored on your computer in iTunes. I keep all my CDs just in case I have an iPod and computer crash. They are all in notebooks made for CD storage, and kept in a closet.

Roxanne Roberts: Very organized of you. Does that come naturally?

Cindy McCain: As a kite-gal (Kappa Alpha Theta) she cannot accept another membership. Rules, you know.

Amy Argetsinger: Yes, rules.

Washington: Do us loyal readers expect to see any changes in your column or chat as a result of the management shakeups at your newspaper?

Amy Argetsinger: Nah, I don't think so. (She said with her head in the sand.)

Falls Church, Va.: (sob)Please post my comment...both Tom Seitsma and Michael D. Shear dissed me today. I'm feeling unloved. (sob)

Helen Mirren is just awesome! I could never look like that in a million years (being pregnant at the moment doesn't help). Mostly pictures of women in bikinis just make me snarky, but I find that photo really inspirational. Beauty in all forms should be appreciated.

Roxanne Roberts: I would have posted this even if you hadn't begged, if that makes you feel any better.

Dupont, D.C.: Did Amy Foster have a response on whether Congress should cut off funding for the military in Iraq? Or whether the Palm will bring back its arugula and endive salad?

Amy Argetsinger: I bet she'll be ready with an answer next time.

Silverman: Sarah is cute alright but normal? I sure don't think so.

Roxanne Roberts: Exhibit A: Her superlative turn in "The Aristocrats."

Washington: Anyone heard that new Jacob Dylan song? I heard it on the radio a moment ago and it is uncredible how much he sounds just like his father -- except you can understand what he is actually saying.

Amy Argetsinger: Uncredible, indeed. That song drives me up a wall. "Something Good This Way Comes" -- that title/refrain is a nonsensical reference to the Shakespearean "something wicked this way comes" (also the title of the great Ray Bradbury novel), and it doesn't even fit the meter of the song. Which sounds vaguely like a melodic rip-off of his dad's "On a Night Like This" or one of his other lesser, formulaic contract-fulfilling toss-offs. And you know, for some reason I expect more of Jakob Dylan. Not that I've given this any thought.

Brangelina kids: Xavier, Nixon, Kleenex?

Roxanne Roberts: Axle?

"Roxanne Roberts: I think Malkovich looks more like a dude who would enjoy murder investigations. Actually, looks more like a murderer, but you didn't ask that.":"In the Line of Fire"; a 1990s film set and shot in the District with Clint Eastwood and Rene Russo as Secret Service agents and John Malkovich scary-good as a would-be presidential assassin.

Roxanne Roberts: I saw that. He's got the super smart-crazy thing down pat.

Very organized of you. Does that come naturally?: Probably. I'm a librarian and catalog/organize books and stuff for a living.

Roxanne Roberts: I knew it!

Twins: Personally, I would be much more excited if Mei Xiang (Tai Shan's mom) had twins than I am about the Brangelina offspring.

Roxanne Roberts: Wouldn't that be adorable? Two baby pandas rolling around? I'm with you---baby animals are much cuter than human babies.

Falls Church, Va: re: Herman's Hermits a boy band...

Using that criteria The Beach Boys are a boy band. Please leave the esoteric music analysis to Mr. J. Freedom du Lac.

Amy Argetsinger: What, you want us to go back to talking about sororities we weren't in? And what's your complaint -- that "boy band" is a disparaging comment? Herman's Hermits were fantastic -- but they were also a way-underaged band that was marketed as catnip for little girls.

Brooklyn, N.Y.: re: New Yorker cover

Don't you think that if you have to explain the gag to everyone, that it's not much of a gag?

Roxanne Roberts: That's the problem.

Cute guys in the city: There's always ESPN Zone.

Or go to a place like Buffalo Billiards and try to get a dart game going. That's how I met my husband.

Amy Argetsinger: Okay, thanks. ESPN Zone is kind of terrifying. I think it is, however, a good place to meet an underaged millionaire athlete -- seems to be where they have their parties to watch the big game or watch the draft, completely with hot wings and lemonade.

Boy bands: I thought Peter Noone was eternally like 50? And they only had three good songs, so I don't know that Hermans's Hermits counts.

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, they had about five great songs. How many great songs did NKOTB have? Uh, ZERO.

Please leave the esoteric music analysis to Mr. J. Freedom du Lac.: I thought Amy's review of Jakob Dylan's song was quite good.

Amy Argetsinger: Thank you. Not bad for something just off the top of my head, a topic into which I had put absolutely no thought.

Chicago, Ill.: After Obama's kids were interviewed on Access Hollywood, are you now free to write about them and for SNL to make fun of them, like they did with Chelsea Clinton in the 90s?

Roxanne Roberts: That's probably one of the reasons the campaign pulled back so quickly. But no---the kids are still young enough that I don't expect much humor at their expense. Maybe as teenagers, but not yet and only if he wins the election.

Wapo mgt shakeups: I'm not worried, since I'm sure that all mgt are very concerned with keeping the Reliable Source fans, chatters, and subscribers as happy as possible.

Amy Argetsinger: No kidding -- it's all about you guys. All six of you!

Houston, Tex.: Needing advice -- I loaned someone a DVD I had gotten from Netflix, and it has been weeks and it does not look like it has been returned. What is the proper way to bring that up? In her defense, it is a 2 1/2 hour movie with subtitles, so I can see how it would take a while to get through.

Amy Argetsinger: Wow, that's awkward. I think you should stop talking to her, except through your lawyer, and take her to small-claims court.

Sarah Silverman:"Her superlative turn in "The Aristocrats..."

OMG! Which character's voice did she do?

Roxanne Roberts: Not "Aristocats." The other one.

Brangelina boyz: Max, Dax, Lax, Sax, - oh, wait - Isn't that "Make Way for Ducklings?"

Roxanne Roberts: I forgot about that!

Amy Argetsinger: Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, and Quack. Re-read that book recently. Holds up well.

Smell Paso: Here a promotional line for Matthew to deliver:

Aged Beef: It keeps getting older, but I stay the same age.

Amy Argetsinger: Not bad.

WaPo mgmt shake-ups:7! All seven of us - you forgot to count me!

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, whoops -- didn't see you over there.

Why not sell the naming rights?: Exxon.

Roxanne Roberts: You're on to something here: Could feed millions of starving third-world babies.

Love that! And isn't it great you have the same sense of humor?: True! I also wish we shared the same sense of cleanliness, or the same sense of needing to go to the grocery store, or the same sense of the importance of watching Project Runway. Oh, the joys of marriage.

Roxanne Roberts: Ha!

Losing your iPod ... : Your tunes, etc. Are still on iTunes. Just load up a new pod. An iPod is something you MUST have.

Amy Argetsinger: You see, I never had a Walkman either, though. I have no interest in walking around with earbuds. Isn't the real purpose of an iPod so that you have a portable method with which to demonstrate to people how cool -- and eclectic! -- your taste in music is?

Places to meet young guys: Umm, obviously Nationals Park and a D.C. United soccer game.

Amy Argetsinger: Okay. Good idea.

UPS Shorts: You could PhotoShop a bunch of pictures of celebs into UPS shorts. There are those great pictures of Bill and Hillary on a beach several years ago. How about some athletes? I'm guessing that if Madonna saw a picture of A-Rod in a UPS uniform, she might reconsider her recent actions.

Amy Argetsinger: Chris Cooley would happily don the UPS shorts, though they might be too long for him.

Not "Aristocats." The other one. : Oh, the disgusting dirty joke one? Aaah. Yeah, she's so normal.

Roxanne Roberts: I had a joke there, but it was too dirty for a family chat.

What is the proper way to bring that up?: How about "Hey friend, did you return my Netflix movie yet?" That would be good start.

Amy Argetsinger: Wait, don't we want to keep it passive-aggressive? That's so much more fun.

Brangelina Babies: The thing that I don't get is that there ARE fairly normal "x" names out there - Felix, Alex and Max spring to mind.

Roxanne Roberts: Since when do celebs want to be "fairly normal?"

Boy Bands: I'm not defending NKOTB, but it's not like Hermans'Hermits had a huge catalog here. Just Henry VIII, I'm Into Something Good, Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daugeter, and Silhouettes on the Shade -- am I missing anything here?

Amy Argetsinger: Also "Can't You Hear My Heartbeat" and "Listen People." You think you don't know them, but you'd recognize them in a second.

I was also about to credit them with the very lovely "Ferry Cross the Mersey" -- but no. Gerry and the Pacemakers.

UPS : should just do a calendar.

Amy Argetsinger: Totally.

Aristoc(r)ats: Oh, that may be the funniest thing I've ever read in your chat! I cannot think of two more different movies! Hee!

Roxanne Roberts: Both.....nah, I just can't.

Re: Netflix: If you really want to avoid a confrontation, I would call Netflix! They really pride themselves on customer service, and my experience with them has been great (turns out I have some organization issues and have routinely sent back the wrong DVD or sleeve -- I should get together with the librarian). They may just be happy to count it as a "lost" DVD and send you a new one.

Amy Argetsinger: But wait, does Netflix has the power to arrest me. I mean, this person?

Places to meet young guys: The Porsche club's racing at Summit in West Virginia

Amy Argetsinger: Huh. Good call.

Places to meet young guys: In my single days, I met the nicest guys by playing on softball teams with them. I was on three different teams one summer. Of course, I met my husband on a blind date, but we played softball with his friends after we started dating.

Amy Argetsinger: Other youngsters vouch for kickball and soccer teams.

Boy Ba, ND: Wikipedia (for what THAT's worth) says the term "boy band" wasn't around until the 90s, but that the Monkees are (is) considered a precursor group. Many of the groups from the 60s were pretty young when they got started, but the term seems to be associated with a producer starting with a concept and then recruiting "talent" to fill it.

Amy Argetsinger: Duh -- the Monkees. Of course. I have no problem with applying the term retroactively.

Employed but Bored: Seriously, someone does need to punch a celebrity -- I am going crazy with nothing to do and nothing to read. Improve my mind, you say! Hah!

Amy Argetsinger: Maybe you should step it up and make this happen. Just a thought.

Umm, obviously Nationals Park and a D.C. United soccer game.: Yeah, if you like drunk and sweaty, go for it.

Amy Argetsinger: All right, then -- happy hunting at the bookstore poetry readings and free jazz concerts.

New York: Hey, do they still have free taco night the the National Press Club on Fridays?

Amy Argetsinger: I think so. Have never been.

Angie: I prefer Dulcolax ... so soothing and French!

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, yuck.

Borrowed Netflix DVD: Mary, is that you on the chat? No, I haven't sent it back yet, but will do it when I get home.

Amy Argetsinger: I think we just found the solution to this problem.

If you really want to avoid a confrontation, I would call Netflix!: But don't tell them you loaned it to someone else. You're not supposed to do that. You might get in serious trouble.

Amy Argetsinger: Is this more or less serious than refusing to turn off you iPod during takeoff?

Washington: I think the Vienna Boys Choir is the original boy band.

Amy Argetsinger: Yes.

Washington: Angelina is the daughter of a celeb. How come she doesn't have a stupid name?

Amy Argetsinger: She was born into a different era. Back then they only had Moon Unit Zappa and Zowie Bowie.

But the term seems to be associated with a producer starting with a concept and then recruiting "talent" to fill it.: That makes sense. The Beach Boys started themselves. The others didn't, and some couldn't even play instruments when recruited.

Amy Argetsinger: Useful definition, yes.

There are 8 of us today: You have printed every one of my snarks, except the one about my college sorority, Gabba Gabba Hey. Rox should get that reference...

Amy Argetsinger: Just didn't get around to it, sorry.

Office Gossip: don't know who to tell, but my boss doesn't wash his hands after urinating.

And people need to learn to flush. What kind of adult doesn't flush a urinal or a terlet?

Amy Argetsinger: If you read the Style section today, you already know that we are in End Times -- people caught on video ignoring other people dying, the G4 network running a new game show about people vomiting... I mean, you could talk to your boss, but it's just fruitless at this point. Things fall apart, the center cannot hold, mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.

At the playground: boy band: ABC

another bad creation

Amy Argetsinger: No, they don't count. And they were great.

Porsche Club races at Summit Point: This chatter's definition of young guys must be a little different from mine. This is something my 40 year-old brother-in-law and 50 year-old neighbor do. (You know, the folks who have the money to actually own and drive a Porsche around in circles.)

Amy Argetsinger: Fair warning.

The Monkees : Okay, but this is getting a little confusing. The Monkees weren't really a band, as they didn't actually play their instruments. So can we really consider them a "boy band"?

Amy Argetsinger: Did NKOTB play any instruments? And no, don't answer that, we're almost out of time, I'll look it up myself later.

washingtonpost.com: The Impassive Bystander ( Post, July 16)

washingtonpost.com: 'Hurl!': Gag Reflux ( Post, July 16)

Passive agressive, much: Holy crap! Going through a chat to do that may be the most passive aggressive thing I've ever seen. And I WAS in a sorority in college. This chat has been awesome.

Amy Argetsinger: Thank you so much. But if you think that's passive-aggressive? We haven't even taken our gloves off yet.

Speaking of Chris Cooley's shorts: It's been over a year, and the Cooley Hot Pants have not become a major fashion trend (thank God!).

Amy Argetsinger: Just wait.

Coach bag: I brought in a Coach bag to the Coach store ask for help with a repair (the trim has come loose). They refused to repair it, even for a fee, but told me that if I would "surrender" the bag to them, I would receive a 40 percent discount off a new bag. Not a great deal, in my opinion.

Roxanne Roberts: Good to know. I'd call headquarters, just to make sure.

Beauty in all forms should be appreciated. : Er, yes, but she IS beautiful. Appreciating beauty in all forms would be calling a fat KIND woman in a bikini beautiful.

Roxanne Roberts: Doesn't happen, does it?

Arlington, Va.: A few thoughts:

Places to meet guys: I met my husband at Madam's Organ (the old location).

Wasn't here a character in Dead Poet's Society named Knox Overstreet -- preppy, cute. I think they could have chosen a worse name.

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, he was the cute one. Played by Josh Charles, as in "whatever happened to Josh Charles?"

Since when do celebs want to be "fairly normal?" : I hope never, because then what will we chat about?

Roxanne Roberts: Exactly! When little Sunday Rose and Knox Leon grow up and briefly date causing a media frenzy by spilling the ancient beans about Tom Cruise....well, won't that be fun? Anyway, we've got tomorrow's column to write, so enough giggles for one week. Like Amy said: Send in every photo or tip to reliablesource@washpost.com and we'll all make it through the summer. Cheers.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity