Transcript

Fitness Advice From Big Losers

Stacey and Adam Capers
Contestants from "The Biggest Loser: Families"
Tuesday, September 30, 2008; 12:00 PM

The Green team on NBC's "The Biggest Loser: Families" was eliminated from the show, but that didn't stop team members Stacey and Adam Capers from continuing to incorporate healthy eating and fitness into their lives. The Capers were online Tuesday, Sept. 30 at noon ET to discuss how the show has influenced their new, healthier lifestyle.

Stacey Capers: Hi Everyone! This is Stacey from The Biggest Loser: Families. Thanks for joining the chat. Feel free to ask questions about the show, our weight loss journey, or whatever is on your mind.

Bethesda, Md.: How many hours a day were you in the gym during your time on the show?

Stacey Capers: About 6 - 9 hours...About 6 with Bob, the rest was on our own.

Temple Hill, Md.: I am so proud of you two. I am a black female married to a black male, and we too have weight issues. You both were nothing short of inspirational and I commend you. My question is: what do you think you did to stand out from the crowd to be selected for the show? I tried out for it a couple of years ago but did not get a call back. It was great watching you on the show but it was even better to see how you kept up with your program and you both look amazing. Good luck on the reunion show.

Stacey Capers: Thanks so much for the compliments... Honestly, I can only say be yourself and don't try gimicks like wearing a costume or anything; at least we didn't. Focus on something about yourself that others can identify with.

Philadelphia, Pa.: I know it is not polite to ask someone's weight, yet I am wondering how much your weight has fluctuated since the conclusion of the show and how easy or hard it is to continue eating right and exercising when a nation isn't watching. I do believe you provide great encouragement with the message that people can turn their lives around, that it requires commitment, but once you get there, life is so much better.

Stacey Capers: We still have the finale to look forward to so we are still pushing toward our goals. We've had to do this at home for the most part so even though the nation isn't watching us everyday, they will come the finale. Our family, friends, and neighbors are constant reminders that we have been blessed with an opportunity that so many people wish for -- it would be irresponsible to take it for granted.

Anonymous: On average how much water did you consume per day? Did this help you prevent the sluggish feeling in the morning?

Stacey Capers: I probably drink about 96 to 100 ounces of H2O per day. We work out pretty intensely so it is essential to stay hydrated!

Stacey Capers: Hi Everyone...

Adam is having computer issues. He is going to try to log-on ASAP

Bethesda, Md.: What is the number one best thing you learned on the show that helps you to achieve your weight loss goals?

Stacey Capers: That we had to stop thinking about weight loss as "dieting" and make it a lifestyle. Finding a rhythm that will allow you to make permanent changes; that doesn't mean that you not allow yourself to have an indulgence every once in a while. It means you have to balance your life, including the choices you make at the table. If you choose to have that little something sweet, just burn it off at the gym!

Stacey Capers: Adam has finally joined us. Yeah!

DC: I love TBL! Congrats on your weight loss too. You said you spend six to nine hours a day in the gym -- what exactly did you do for that long, and how is it possible for anyone to keep up that kind of activity level, day in and day out? Also, many people suspect that contestants water load before the first weigh-in. You probably can't comment but any thoughts?

Stacey Capers: Bob liked to torture us in a variety of ways. We usually did cardio -- treadmill, elliptical, stair climber, spinning. Then, we did circuit training using weights and the weight machines. He also incorporated yoga and boxing too. It was not uncommon to spend two hours on the treadmill while he was working with the other teams.

Rockville, Md.: I was really sorry that you two had to leave the show. Hopefully you will keep up with your weight loss and "perhaps" go back. I saw the list of meals that you ate on the program. Are there any vegetarian meals? Would like to eat better, but I don't eat meat.

Adam Capers: There are some fish and seafood choices or you can build an eating plan around foods that you eat.

www.washingtonpost.com: Was it difficult to adjust your cooking habits to your new lifestyle after being sent home?

Stacey Capers: Not really. I love to cook so it was a matter of making an adjustment to the WAY I cooked. Replacing butter with non-stick spray and finding other substitutes have really helped. The food still tastes great too!

Alexandria, Va.: Had you ever tried to lose weight in the past? If so, what are you doing differently now that you didn't do then?

Stacey Capers: Who hasn't??? ;o) I tried too many ways to count! I've tried everything from South Beach, Atkins, the "grapefruit diet". I lost weight but quickly gained it back. The biggest differences now are that I 1) count calories, 2) balance carbs, proteins, and fats; 3) eat more frequently. You CANNOT sustain weight loss or continually lose weight if you do not eat carbs -- that is the greatest lesson I've learned. How else will you get the energy for working out?

Arlington, Va.: How much time do you spend working out now that you're back at home? How do you fit it in?

Adam Capers: We spend about 1.5 to two hours a day working out at the gym or track. We take Sundays off for recovery time which is important.

Herndon, Va.: You all look amazing. Congratulations on your loss. Please tell me, what's the one piece of advice that you have for a struggling dieter?

Adam Capers: For me it was important to incorporate walking and running into my exercise routine. Food portion control is also very important.

Rockville, Md.: How important do you think exercise is to weight loss? I hate exercising, but am also hating the fact that I am back in my "fat pants" after regaining 15 of the 40 pounds I lost a couple of years ago. How do you stay motivated?

Stacey Capers: I cannot emphasize enough how important exercise is to losing weight. The key is calories-in and calories-out -- the difference between these is how much weight you will lose. I hated the treadmill and the stair climber, but we are now life-long friends. There is NO WAY to loose or sustain weight without exercise. Try to find something that you do like to do; start slow and increase the intensity. Not everyone has a Biggest Loser prize and title dangling in front of them and frankly, it is not enough to keep you motivated -- so my motivation is to get to my goal; I have set my mind on it and will not let anything stop me.

Leesburg, Va.: I love the show. But it seems like it can get really competitive in a mean way towards the end. Do you feel like you escaped that by going home first? Also, were you surprised that they eliminated you both at once?

Adam Capers: We did escape some of the competitiveness by going home first, and we were not surprise that we were eliminated first.

Falls Church, Va.: My husband is super fit, but I struggle with my weight. Any thoughts on how I can stay motivated and lose some weight when I am pretty much in it alone? He is wonderful, but there's just no way he can understand my struggles since he's never been there.

Stacey Capers: Motivation is always tough. Find that one thing that will keep your head in the "game". Partner with a friend so you can push each other. Celebrate your successes too! If you lose 1 pound, think of it as a pound that you will never see again. Don't stop until you've reached your goal. Change things up with your routine if you are stuck. And always -- this one is tough for me -- ASK FOR HELP!

Providence: Did you go back to work when you got home, or are you taking time off to keep in shape for the finale?

Adam Capers: We went right back to work following an extended four-day weekend, and no we will not be taking time off before the finale. We have been bless to have had great support from our jobs and family in our weight effort.

Washington, DC: What are your favorite ways to work out? Have you tried things you never thought you could do? And when you were on the treadmill at your heaviest, were you mainly walking or running? Running is so hard for me when I am at my heaviest (183 pounds or so). Sigh.

Stacey Capers: I love cardio in a variety of forms. I now run A LOT! But, to change things up, I do step aerobics. When I was heavier, I enjoyed step too. Work up to running by skipping on the treadmill...that is my other favorites. It is almost as intense as running. Walking on an incline is my least favorite, but it is effective as well.

Woodbridge, Va.: I'm very proud of your efforts! A question though: You were in the gym six to nine hours a day. That's impossible for us working types. Did you see a difference when you came home and had to scale back -- or have you had to scale back?

Stacey Capers: No one in the "real world" who works full time and has children and commutes in an area like DC like we do has time to work out like that. We DO fit in about two to 2 1/2 hours per day, six days a week. Adam goes in the AM; we work out together at lunch time; then I go to the gym after our kids are in bed.

Temple Hills, Md.: Stacey and Adam, how difficult are those challenges/contests on TBL? Some of the prizes are great, but what they put you through seems absolutely torturous, like when you climbed the mountain. I weigh over 200 pounds, and I know that would have just about killed me. How long had you been there before you did that?

Adam Capers: We were there for a week before we did our first and only challenge (Adam and Stacey), and yes it was the most difficult challenge that I had ever done. But to be honest with you, I don't think any of us could have completed that challenge before our first couple of workouts with Bob.

Baltimore, Md.: What is your current workout routine?

Stacey Capers: We work with a trainer two times a week for about an hour which consists of cardio and weight training; on the other days we do cardio mostly and one additional day of weight training on our own.

Bethesda, Md.: Do you still get any tips from Bob, or are you literally on your own as you head into the finale? And will they tell you what your new "real age" is when this is all over?

Stacey Capers: We do still talk to Bob, but mostly for motivation. We are pretty much on our own. Not sure what they have planned for the finale in terms of the medical age.

Texas: When you guys met were you already both overweight? If yes, did you guys ever talk about why you were overweight or were concerned about it? Or it wasn't a big deal? If you were not both overweight, did it ever make you uncomfortable to see your mate piling on the pounds? Or it was a too sensitive of a topic to discuss?

Stacey Capers: Yes, we were both overweight but relatively "fit". When we started courting, we got into a bad habit of eating out A LOT and gained A LOT of weight in the process. We tried to lose weight before our wedding but I promptly got pregnant with my first child. I tipped the scales at 248 when she was a year-old. Adam was still frisky!

Silver Spring, Md.: Congrats on your weight loss! I've always wondered in watching the show how families handle moving away from their kids for so long and the ramifications on those kids. What was your experience?

Stacey Capers: It was a little harder on our daughter we discovered when we came back. She was excited that we were going, but I don't think she realized what it really meant. In the end though, she is happy with our progress

Canton, OH: How much time passed between when you left the show and when they took the follow-up shots of you that aired at the end of your elimination episode? And how much time has passed since they filmed that follow-up? (I guess the overall question is: how long have you been working on this whole weight loss thing and how much longer do you have to go?)

Stacey Capers: We have been working on this for the past four months plus; the finale is in December.

Colorado: With spending so many hours working out, did either of you have any overuse injuries? How many calories were/are you consuming daily?

Adam Capers: Yes, we had experienced some injuries. I had some issues with my shins and Stacey with her knee. Icing down those area after a hard workout helped alleviate the pain. I ate 1800 calaries a day and Stacey ate 1200 a day.

Arlington, Va.: Were you guys exercisers before? Honestly, how did the treadmill become your friend? That's where I'm struggling.

Stacey Capers: Yes we exercized before but I always hated the treadmill. I just learned to appreciate how many calories I could burn by using it. Bob told us it would become our friend, and it has. I enjoy it now because I can do it; running is a lot easier. You just have to pace yourself and gradually increase what you do. You might surpise yourself...we did!

Bethesda, Md.: How has your new, healthy lifestyle affected your relationship with each other and your children?

Stacey Capers: Being on the ranch allowed us to connect very differently than we had in the past because we didn't have life's normal distractions. Our daughter loves our transformation and learning about how to make better food choices. My son is a little too young to realize it now, but he's better off from the change as well.

Stacey Capers: Thank you for all of your questions! Please be sure to watch The Biggest Loser: Families on Tuesdays on NBC 8pm EDT. Bye!

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company