Monday, Oct. 6, 11 a.m. ET

Redskins Postgame

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Cindy Boren
Washington Post NFL Editor
Monday, October 6, 2008; 11:00 AM

Post NFL Editor Cindy Boren was online Monday, Oct. 6 at 2:30 p.m. ET to take your questions about the results of the Redskins-Eagles game and the latest news about the team.

A transcript follows.

Cindy Boren: The stock market may "trending downward," but the Redskins are not, so let's focus on that 4-1 start. What's on your minds today?

Alex35332: Cindy,

Two quick questions:

Before the season started you mentioned that we needed to see flashes of brilliance from Campbell to "crown him" our franchise QB. His numbers have been solid so far, but have you seen any of the flashes you mentioned?

Am I right in thinking the most important game on the schedule to this point is that we need to beat the Giants so that we are splitting with them?

Cindy Boren: Hey, Alex...what I like best about Campbell is nothing. Zero. Nil. Nada. Zip. Which, not coincidentally, is the number of interceptions he has thrown. And I like the smarts I've seen -- the way he executes the play calls, particularly in the red zone in Dallas.

There've been some wasted timeouts and I don't know that he strikes the fear in opponents yet -- the terror that he's in the game and a scoring drive is coming -- but he's progressing rapidly. Dude has a fourth-quarter passer rating of 115.4, seventh best in the league.

Tucson, Ariz.: Do you think there is a risk of overlooking the next few teams after such a brutal opening schedule?

Cindy Boren: Good Lord, yes. Their schedule has more cupcakes than a bakery: St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit in the next three and Seattle, Cincy, San Fran and perhaps Baltimore (not sure of its confectionary status yet) in the second half of the season.

I hate to sound like Joe Gibbs here, but poor teams look to beat up on good teams; they have nothing to lose and a win gives them some hope. Now, suddenly, everyone knows the Skins are a good team. Should they have a stenchfest (and statistics say they will at some point), one of these teams could smack them.

I-495 ; Rt 450: I know the next 3 games the Redskins are playing are against teams that have a combined record of 1-11. Out of the Rams, Browns, and Lions, which team do you see as the most dangerous to pull off an upset?

Cindy Boren: I'd probably pick the Lions, strictly because the game is on the road. The Rams have a new coach, Jim Haslett, who is a fiery guy and has experience "up here," so I'd rate that one as No. 2 on the list (because the game is here). It's always tricky to play a team coming off its bye. I don't see it being the Browns (which, of course, is the team that will beat them).

Laurel, Md.: What did you think about Snyder's enthusiasm?

Cindy Boren: I tend to worry about things like karma myself, but that's me. Dude is happy that his team -- the team he grew up loving -- is winning. It would appear (ahem) that he has hired the right coach. Everything is clicking, so I say dance, Danny, dance. You have every right to enjoy this.

Bristow, Va.: So when is the lack of a pass rush going to bite this team? I can't recall the last time we had a sack!

Cindy Boren: Hard to say precisely, but I'd think the Steelers might capitalize on that deficiency. The Skins have, what, a half-dozen sacks through five games? Jason Taylor is missed, but I'd resist the temptation -- and his tendency to want to play too soon -- to bring him back. I might let him heal for another game or perhaps two. Then focus on getting the rush going for Detroit and Pittsburgh.

re Campbell: Short answer - the game seems to have slowed down for him. Solid line play/running attack has done wonders for his decision-making. Still can't deliver the deep out pass consistently, but otherwise he's a Super Bowl caliber QB...

Cindy Boren: Gack. You said the S and B words, one after the other.

Please don't do that in October.

I'd say that Zorn has analyzed how much of what he wants to do Campbell is capable of and has tweaked his offense to that. It's a really nice combo to watch evolve. Campbell has done what he's needed to do to win in the last four games. There's a conservation there that may play out to be smart over the long haul. Why show everything he can do?

Arlington, Va.: I was looking for a automobile to transport my fellow musicians. Maybe something similar to a wagon that a lot of people can get on. Have you seen any around?

Cindy Boren: A friend of mine has a bus, but he's reluctant to take it down off the blocks just yet....

Columbia, Md.: I miss Tony Kornheiser. I'm half expecting the Bandwagon to pull out of the station at any minute....

Cindy Boren: I'll ask him about it on Talking Points.

Bend, Ore.: Reading the recap this morning of the Randal-El touchdown pass, it reminded me that the Post used to diagram a key play from every game in graphic form. I used to love those.

Now that I live in Oregon, I read the Skins coverage online, so maybe you still do that, but I haven't seen that anywhere. I'd love to see that revised. This play would have been perfect for that...

washingtonpost.com: Timing Turns Out Perfect for Zorn, Randle El

Cindy Boren: We stopped doing that last season, but it's something we should reconsider, given that Mr. Zorn luvs him the razzle-dazzle.

Gaineville, Va.: Cindy,

This is essentially the same team as last year except: (1) Santana is healthier; Campbell is more mature; (3) they've been through the incredible experience of Sean Taylor's murder; and (4) new head coach. Which of these explains the tremendous difference between this team and the one that went 6-6 before Campbell's injury?

Cindy Boren: What happened to No. 2? I'd have to pick No. 4, even tho it's No. 3 on your list. I really do think Zorn is the big difference -- same as when the Yankees replaced Showalter with Torre.

Baltimore: Very very impressive win again this week! You can't praise this team enough. Let's hope St. Louis isn't a trap game, even at home. DO NOT look over any opponent in the NFL!

Cindy Boren: Good point, Baltimore.

Greg Blac, HE: Cindy, I think a key cog to the surging Skins whom has been overlooked is Greg Blache. Especially with all the injuries, the D is playing lights out. He seems to develop phenomenal game plans and makes great in-game adjustments. Why don't we hear more about this guy? Well, other than the fact that he thinks stats are for losers...

Cindy Boren: I think Greg Blache's nickname should be "My G's stand for genius, too."

Fairfax, Va.: Hi Cindy,

Don't you think at this point that some credit needs to go to Gibbs for the Skins success? Zorn has implemented the offense but he's using largely the same personnel that Gibbs brought in, save for a few draft picks. To me the only difference is a lot of veteran players are staying healthy and are much more productive this year than last (Moss, Portis, R. Thomas, Springs, Rodgers, Griffin, etc). Thanks!

Cindy Boren: I do. He picked the players, no? Campbell, Landry, Rogers....He just wasn't the guy to coach 'em anymore.

Albuquerque, N.M.: First off, thanks for the good job keeping us rabid Skins' fans fed!!

My guess is that with the next three opponents we face that the running game will be getting some huge numbers. Do you think that Portis has a chance to break the record he set in 2005?

Cindy Boren: Thanks -- Albuquequerqueue...um, Albuquerqq...um...New Mexico. I would run the ball like a fiend if I were the coach, but I'd give Portis something of a breather in at least one of the games. I wouldn't just let him get yardage for the sake of yardage. You want to think long term...you're too used to the season ending in early January.

Baltimore: The team's relationship with Zorn: I think one of the most telling little details in today's game coverage was Campbell relating how amped up Zorn was on the sidelines and how Campbell offered to give the coach his pads if he wanted to play. That says to me that Campbell (and I am guessing the rest of the team) look on a 55 year old retired QB as one of their own. As much as I revered Joe Gibbs, having a "peer" for a coach must be a refreshing change.

Cindy Boren: To me, the psychological change (I keep harping on Torre for Showalter, but that's the best example I have seen) is huge. Sometimes, it's the missing piece.

Washington, D.C.: What was the most important series in the win against Philadelphia?

Cindy Boren: I'm torn between the Randle El TD pass (how did the Iggles not know he can do that?) and the fourth-down play. Both were just stakes to the heart.

Arlington, Va.: Who, in your opinion, is the most underrated player on the team, and why?

Cindy Boren: Colt Brennan? Odd how no one is talking about him any more...the last couple games, I'd have to go with Jon Jansen. He's really stepped up and played well.

Cindy Boren: And with that I must run. I'll be on the Redskins Insider and twittering all things Redskin. Thanks for stopping by!

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity