The Reliable Source

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, October 15, 2008; 12:00 PM

Reliable Source columnists Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts were online Wednesday, Oct. 8, at Noon ET to discuss your favorite gossip, what you think about their recent columns or who you want to see them writing about in future ones.

In today's column: You've probably already missed your last chance to get to a Bush White House state dinner. Robert Duvall gets partisan, kicks butts, takes names. Caron Butler's favorite Germans.

In recent days: Levi Johnston speaks! Joe Biden looks... different. Michelle Fenty's girly baby shower. Why Body of Lies doesn't look like a D.C. movie. Jason Taylor's noblesse oblige. MIA's baby bump. Jon Bon Jovi's night out in D.C.

E-mail and bookmark Reliable Source columns.

Submit your questions and comments before or during the discussion.

A transcript follows.

Amy Argetsinger: Good morning everyone. Looking forward to your questions. Rox isn't here with so, you know, deal with it...

Key Largo, Fla.: It seems Tom Sietsema couldn't stand the heat of being in the kitchen with you ladies at noon. On a related programming note: Please be advised that all the gay men in your chat will be making a mass exodus at 12:58 p.m. to the 1 p.m. Mark-Paul Gosselaar chat. Sorry but felt you should be forewarned.

washingtonpost.com: Catching Up With ... Mark-Paul Gosselaar

Amy Argetsinger: Well, I'll be darned. What's the occasion? And don't the little girls like MPG too? Or was that, like, 20 years ago?

Washington, D.C.: How do you guys feel about the new W. movie? You racing out to see it? Thinking this will be a hatchet job on Bush, or something more thought provoking?

Amy Argetsinger: Just from seeing the trailers, I think it will be a so-bad-it's-good kitschfest along the lines of "Showgirls."

Actually, scratch that -- I never actually saw "Showgirls," and I've been told that it's actually so-bad-it's-bad. So I'm hoping "W." will be so-bad-it's-good in the manner of "Coyote Ugly."

Paris, France: What did you say in your letter to Ringo Starr?

Roxanne Roberts:"I miss Pete Best."

Capitol Hill: In the past week, I have read two very disturbing movies that might be in the works. Michael Douglas is in talks to play Gordon Gekko again in a follow-up to Wall Street, and Kevin Costner is in talks to play Crash Davis again -- 20 years after Bull Durham came out. Is there some way we can get a law passed to bar people from making sequels 20 years later -- just because neither have had a hit in years? Please, use your media power and influence and get this stopped.

Amy Argetsinger: You're right, we need emergency legislation. This is always a bad idea. I'm trying to think of the other examples of disastrous 20-years-too-late sequels, but since I'm blanking on this, I'll ask the rest of you to provide the examples. And let's get an online petition going.

Brookland, D.C.: Have you, or anyone you know, tried that Good Stuff restaurant you guys wrote about a few weeks back? Is it decent? All I know if it is that the guy is from Top Chef and they brag about leaving meat in the back alley for storage. I walked by the other day, and it looked interesting. But was hoping others could provide some insight before I pay $8 for a burger.

Amy Argetsinger: Anyone? All I know is that the "Back Alley Burger" was a terrible name. Don't know if they're still advertising that.

D.C. (i.e. Doggie Central): I loved the story about Skipper! I had to fight back tears. Great "cuteporting" (as they say on Cute Overload)!

Roxanne Roberts: Awwww. I loved the story too----and don't get emotional but, OMG, I think I get to meet Skipper in person later this week.

Hell hath frozen over: What about Madonna's divorce? Think we'll see Alex Rodriguez turning up with her on tour?

Amy Argetsinger: Yo, it's for real. Her publicist has put out a statement saying she and Guy Ritchie are splitting.

Also: "They have both requested that the media maintain respect for their family at this difficult time."

Okay, our moment of silence is over. Go ahead, everyone!

Help, please: I've been trying to get Tom Sietsema to answer a question on his chat for a few weeks now, but he hasn't yet. Could you put in a good word for me? Thanks.

Amy Argetsinger: I'm sorry. Maybe now you've realized who your real friends are?

Anonymous: Indiana Jones and the search for his missing dentures comes to mind...

Amy Argetsinger: Yes, thank you.

Re: Paris Hilton's advice to Sarah Palin: I thought you guys promised you wouldn't mention Paris Hilton ever again? You don't want to get her disinherited again do you ?

Amy Argetsinger: Did we ever promise that? I don't think so. We insist on keeping a high bar for "news" of Paris Hilton, but she occasionally manages to transcend it.

Woodbridge, Va.: So, do you get to meet Mark-Paul today?

Amy Argetsinger: Sorry to tell you, these online discussions aren't really a physical place so much as a state of mind -- so no, he's not here.

Madonna: The marriage lasted longer than I though it would. Frankly, I though it would be over after the first movie flop, when hubby realized that being married Madonna was counterproductive to a strong and serious film career.

Roxanne Roberts: I would argue that being married to Madonna is counterproductive to anything but catering to Madonna. She strikes me as a full-time job.

20-years-too-late sequels:"The Evening Star" or whatever it was called, the sequel to "Terms of Endearment." At least they didn't bring Debra Winger back to play a ghost, but it was blah.

Amy Argetsinger: Yeah, I agree. Never saw it.

Waco, Tex.: Not to be catty but I think you mentioned a enough celebrity D.C. chefs in your last column that you should be able to dine out free for the next month.

Roxanne Roberts: Alas, doesn't work that way---no free meals for us. We mention them because they're celebrity chefs.

Anonymous: Sarah Palin's son-in-law to-be has reportedly quit school (high school, I assume) and gone to work in the oil fields to earn money to support his wife and child to-be. Is there some way we can help, other than driving more? Of course, I assume this is not just some part of a secret mission to pay on Russia (which you can see from some places in Alaska).

Amy Argetsinger: All true. The Associated Press caught up with Levi Johnston in his driveway and he was kind enough to tell them everything -- it's a boy, it's not a shotgun wedding, and his reaction to attending the convention: "At first I was nervous. Then I was, like, whatever."

The story also referred to him as "Johnston, a Wasilla heartthrob..." which was the most brilliantly Onionesque line I've seen a real story in a while.

Can I just say that I think Levi and Piper are the secret weapons in this campaign? Just natural-born superstars.

Anonymous: That story about the bomb sniffing dog had me sniffling at the end -- I'm just glad he didn't end up blown up or something.

Roxanne Roberts: It's like a Disney movie---happy ending for everybody!

No Smoking Zone: Is it just me or is there something unseemly about a presidential candidate "bumming" cigarettes? Get that man some gum!

Roxanne Roberts: He's been doing the gum for a while. Frankly, bumming the occasional cig is okay by me, given he's under just a tad of stress right now.

I realize I really should be directing this question to Robin Givhan, but...: When I saw Sarah Palin on TV at a campaign rally in Virginia this week, she was wearing a long-sleeved white shirt with the cuffs rolled up, a black above-the-knee skirt, and her hair down. My initial reaction was that she looked like she was about to say, "Hi, my name is Sarah and I'll be your server tonight." She looked totally un-executive and unprofessional for a woman running for the second-highest office in the world's most powerful nation -- or, as the British would say, "dead common."

My question is this: Even if Palin doesn't know how to dress properly, doesn't each presidential campaign have a stylist, at least in the final weeks, to make sure both their candidates are dressed appropriately for every occasion?

Amy Argetsinger: The answer is, Yes. Which suggests that there's a reason they're dressing her like that. My theory is that they don't want her to look fashionable -- they want her to relatable, and therefore like any other 44-year-old woman in heartland middle management, which is to say probably a tiny bit outdated. But yeah, we should really ask Robin.

Judiciary Square: Looking for more info on the Fenty baby, have you heard any gossip on the name yet? Thanks.

Roxanne Roberts: We have, but sworn to secrecy until the Fentys release it. A lot of expecting parents are very superstitious about formally naming a baby before it is born.

Georgetown, D.C.: That Levi Johnston interview was the best thing I have read in months. Fascinating, and answered so many questions. I cannot wait for his eventual reality show where he and K-Fed live together will have to run some sort of business.

washingtonpost.com: Just Who Is Bristol Marrying Anyway? ( Reliable Source, Oct. 14)

Amy Argetsinger: Absolutely. They should run that after the variety/talk show I'm producing starring Mike Huckabee and Piper Palin. The only problem with your idea is that Levi Johnston is really too much of a star to be in the same scene with K-Fed. He looks like what the third generation of Kennedys was supposed to look like. Honestly, a good strategist would be grooming him to run for governor of Alaska in another 15 years.

I miss Roxanne: Just wanted to get that out there...

Amy Argetsinger: Hey, she's here now. Not typing fast enough for you?

Robert Duvall: I can see supporting McCain, but supporting Palin is beyond me (I did support McCain until Palin). So sorry, Robert, I'll have transfer my affections elsewhere. Or should I not mix politics and acting?

Roxanne Roberts: It's the old Wagner debate: Can you love the art and hate the politics? And you've got to admit Duvall does a mean tango.

Robert Duvall: Wow. Has he always been that cranky? And for no good reason I had him pegged as a Democrat..

Roxanne Roberts: Yeah, pretty much. And I think he's always been conservative.

Mark-Paul: Who is Mark-Paul Gosselaar? I'm afraid that by admitting that, they will take away my Ph.D. in popular culture studies, which I earned by reading nothing but gossip magazines and internet sites...

Amy Argetsinger: He was the kid on "Saved by the Bell" who wasn't Mario Lopez or Screech. Then he grew up and they put him on NYPD Blue to replace Ricky Schroeder, where Lisa de Moraes made constant fun of his hair. Now he's... well presumably he's got some new show to flack or he probably wouldn't be doing an online discussion for you people.

Okay, yes. "Raising the Bar," on TNT, which is about lawyers.

Sequels: Another Nicholson one -- The Two Jakes (1990), sequel to Chinatown (1974).

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, of course.

Hickory Farm, N.C.: Were you shocked at how flimsy the podium was that Berlusconi tore up the other night at the White House? Somehow this shakes my faith in the whole system.

Roxanne Roberts: It was probably decades old---one of those things sitting around for ever, dragged out just for these dinner parties. Cracked me up.

20-year-old sequels: I can think of two times when this happened: The Hustler/The Color of Money and the long wait for Godfather 3. While The Color of Money and Paul Newman were tremendous, I got a bad feeling Bull Durham 2 and Wall Street 2 would fall into that Godfather 3 category -- but without the unintentional comedy of George Hamilton and Sofia Coppola.

Amy Argetsinger: Was George Hamilton in Godfather III? I don't remember! You'd think I'd remember that. He's awesome. They should sign him up for a 45-year-reunion sequel to "Where The Boys Are."

Confused: I've been told I look like Zac Efron. Is this good or bad? I'm in my 40s, by the way.

Amy Argetsinger: Do you find yourself getting a lot of attention from little girls? Just remember: 17 will get you 20.

The Godfather Part III: If only for Sofia Coppola's acting -- the most unintentionally hilarious death scene in Hollywood history.

Roxanne Roberts: Thank God she went into directing.

Washington, D.C.: I'm not sure what passes as a celebrity sighting in this town -- Kevin Madden and Mike Allen having lunch at the Hawk and Dove on Sunday? They famous enough for you?

Amy Argetsinger: We really should have more Kevin Madden in the column. Unfortunately, since he lives and works here, he needs to do more than just show up. If only he would walk down the street with socks but no shoes, or maybe slug someone at a party. But he pretty much keeps it between the lines, doesn't he?

New York: Which of Madonna's exes would you be most entertained for her to go back to? Vanilla Ice, Sean Penn, Warren Beatty, Jose Canseco, other?

Amy Argetsinger: Dennis Rodman.

Arlington, Va.: Excuse me, but Levi Johnston is NOT a heartthrob. And if I ever considered "dating" a high school dropout, my mother would disown me. And then we hear that Bristol is not finishing high school as well. What the H are they thinking?

Roxanne Roberts: Degrees are for those Washington e-lites.

Re: good stuff eatery: I've been there twice and had the basic cheeseburger both times. (I think it was $5.99.) Anyway, I thought it was quite good. I liked the onion rings, which really aren't rings and the shakes. Still, the chatter is right. It gets pricey. You can easily drop $15 -- $20 for a burger, fries and a shake.

Amy Argetsinger: I like milkshakes.

Washington, D.C.: I'm off Friday. What should win out: The Express, Body of Lies, or W.? Or should I just go to the Palm and wait for a really cool sighting that I can tell my grandkids about -- like Tammy Haddad or Paul Begala?

Amy Argetsinger: Why can't you do both? You must be close to getting your face on the wall now. But I do recommend Body of Lies.

Minneapolis, Minn.: I had thought the Levi/Bristol thing seemed pretty phony, but this tattoo on his ring finger is pretty solid. Quite the romantic. I'd vote for him.

Amy Argetsinger: Levi gave us SO MUCH in that little 10-minute interview! (I'm assuming that's what it was.) He lost the promise ring on a caribou hunt! How adorable is that? And frankly, a brilliant save. If you lose a girl's promise ring, getting her name tattooed on your finger is about the smartest thing you can do.

Homeless in the City: Please tell me why that guy Raines aka the jerk from Fannie Mae needs seven bathrooms in a three bedroom condo -- is he just that full of it ?

Roxanne Roberts: Ha! My guess? The condo is really two or three original units next to each other with the walls knocked down. Probably came with a couple full and one half bath each----hence seven. Otherwise makes no sense.

Washington, D.C.:20-year sequel: Paul Newman in both The Hustler and The Color of Money and he was great in both.

Amy Argetsinger: Yes. But we really don't go back to watch The Color of Money anymore, do we?

Washington, D.C.: Sorry, can't stay for your chat. Using all my chat time for the day with the Mark-Paul Gosselaar chat at 1 p.m.

Amy Argetsinger: Working on the first draft of your questions already? Hey, why don't you just send us your questions for MPG, and we'll answer for him?

Indiana Jones and the search for his missing dentures comes to mind...: Hey, no fair. The scene where Indy whips the Commies with his AARP card was worth the price of admission.

Amy Argetsinger: Spoiler alert!

Al Franken: My uncle worked with Al Franken eons ago and said he was one of the most naturally funny people he'd ever met (this was on SNL). No one's talking about it, but if Al becomes Sen. Franken, will he still be able to be funny and irreverent or will have to be all serious all the time?

Roxanne Roberts: He'd be mostly serious, because he has to prove he's senatorial---but a little funny, because he won't be able to help himself.

re: 20 years too late sequels: I don't think its been 20 years since the last one, but I'm counting Indiana Jones. Seriously, that was bad. Though it did give us the phrase "nuke the fridge" to replace "jump the shark."

Amy Argetsinger: Uh oh, that's a real spoiler alert, sounds like. Guess I won't bother seeing it now...

Madon, NA: I have just as much respect for Madonna as I have always had. Too bad she didn't French Lilo on national TV instead of Brit.

Oh, yeah, and Star Wars I, II, and III, while not abominations, would probably have been better if they had not been made.

Amy Argetsinger: I don't think you have to capitalize "french" when you're using it as a verb.

Arlington, Va.: How's your 401-k looking?

Amy Argetsinger: A little better now, thanks. Yours?

Of course you could send a nice gift ...: Wow! Washington is really obsessed by Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston. I just wonder how many will take the trek up to Wasilla for the baby shower if the G.O.P. ticket fails ?

Amy Argetsinger: I'm sad to think that I probably won't get sent to Wasilla for the that wedding like I got sent to Waco for Jenna's.

Richmond, Va.: Thought the Duvall item was pretty entertaining and has obviously caught the ire of some of your readers. My question -- do we prefer our celebrities to be apolitical like Michael Jordan (Republicans buy Nikes too), or activists and outspoken like Duvall and Susan Sarandon-types? Seems both get lots of complaints. I would think the world is more entertaining with the latter. What do you think?

Amy Argetsinger: I agree. I love it when celebrities mouth off about politics so that we can then get all worked up about it. It's part of their job as entertainers.

Indy and his dentures: But that movie had Cate Blanchett in a unitard. That was worth the price of admission.

Amy Argetsinger: And it's nice they brought Karen Allen back. I guess. Remember, I didn't actually see it.

W., the Movie: I would be with you on the Coyote Ugly comparison, but only if John Goodman were prominently involved and there were a LeAnn Rimes cameo. By that gauge, W. has no chance.

Amy Argetsinger: Oliver Stone's a smart guy. I bet he saw the initial audience reactions from test screenings and decided to film a new scene for the closer where John Goodman dances on the bar.

Levi: Was anyone else struck by the fact that he didn't register in time to vote? Seriously? He didn't think to?

Roxanne Roberts: Priceless. Another thing he forgot!

Bethesda, Md.: How do you feel about Sarah Palin admitting that she used your friend Piper in a Philadelphia Flyers jersey to keep the people of Philadelphia from booing her at a hockey game? And it didn't even work. What is in worse taste -- the fans booing her, or Palin for putting her young daughter in a situation where she is bound to be booed?

Roxanne Roberts: Here's the interesting thing about Palin---she seems to assume people will love her and probably doesn't think she's exposing her kids to any trauma. That being said, I think both the people booing and Palin used poor judgment.

And now, let's have Amy's latest installment of "OMG---How Cute Is Piper?"

Amy Argetsinger: Oh. My. God. Did you see Piper at that GOP rally the other day? She was wearing these adorable little glasses! Ohmygod.

IQ?: Wow, and I thought Duvall was very intelligent. Defending Palin? Okay, another illusion shattered.

Roxanne Roberts: I think he's is pretty intelligent. That doesn't preclude nasty politics. I figure he figures he can say pretty much anything he feels like.

Georgetown, Washington, D.C.: Amy: That Jon McCain Ben and Jerry flavor sounds icky -- when has peppermint ice cream ever been a good idea? It got me thinking tho, what kind of flavor ice cream you would be. I'm guessing sherbert in dayglo colors but maybe I don't know you well enough.

Amy Argetsinger: Well, personally, I'd prefer either a classic mint-chocolate chip (but with the really thin chocolate shavings like Baskin Robbins uses), or something in the dark chocolate genre... but obviously Ben and Jerry's would want to work out something that offers a good pun on "Argetsinger," so we'd be limited that way.

Mark-Paul: So what was the big difference between Saved by the Bell and Saved by the Bell: The College Years? How shocked were you when The College Years was canceled?

Amy Argetsinger: I felt like we were going in some provocative new directions with College Years -- my character really had a chance to develop. It broke my heart when they cancelled us.

NYC: So will Madonna divorce her cheesy affected British accent now too?

Roxanne Roberts: Please oh please oh please. And the lame children's books, too.

Karen Allen: They should have left her at her sweater shop in the Berkshires. They gave her nothing to do, except look adorably cute.

Roxanne Roberts: It's the big eyes. She's like a living velvet painting.

Anonymous: What was it like working with Tiffani Amber Thesian on Saved By The Bell? Any good stories to tell?

Amy Argetsinger: She's a wonderful girl and a total professional. Beyond that I'm not going to kiss and tell. Some of the other SBTB guys were jealous when she got the role on 90210, but I was nothing but happy for her. She deserved it.

re: Mr. Madonna: Could we have a moment of silence to ponder how hot Guy Ritchie is and how he'll be single soon?

Amy Argetsinger: Okay.

Irvine, Calif.: Is Alaska a "17 gets you 20" state? If so our boy Levi might have some state trooper trouble too no?

Amy Argetsinger: He's close enough to the line himself.

Philadelphia, Pa.: It's funny how no one remembers that Madonna kissed Christina Aguilera as well as Britney. It wasn't that long ago, people.

Amy Argetsinger: It is strange, isn't it? The Britney kiss totally eclipsed the Xtina kiss.

Sly Stallone: Wasn't there another Rocky (or was it Rambo?) recently? I can't even remember!

Amy Argetsinger: Yes, there was another Rambo. But that one at least has Oscar buzz.

20 years later: No -- keep the bad sequels coming. Here are some plot lines:

Gordon Gekko as prison inmate Gordon Gekko as regulator Crash Davis as Don Zimmer (fat former baseball player who is a bench coach) Crash Davis as used car salesman in small-town North Carolina Crash Davis as high school baseball coach trying to break into the majors Harry (from When Harry Met Sally) as a JDate member after his divorce from Sally Sally (from When Harry Met Sally), post divorce, reinventing herself as a contestant in a reality tv show

Amy Argetsinger: Well, we've found their audience right here, I guess.

" another thing he forgot ...": Roxanne : You are so naughty today !

Roxanne Roberts: Well, that's why we're talking about him today, isn't it? Just sayin'.....

For Mark-Paul: Since you worked with the kid who played Screech all those years, are you confident that when you die you will be allowed to bypass purgatory and go straight to heaven?

Amy Argetsinger: Hey, man, Dustin Diamond's a great guy. He's had some hard times lately, but he's a great actor and a great friend.

Cage fight!: Robert Duvall vs. Dennis Hopper - go!

Dennis, long time Republican, is praying for an Obama win . . . Duvall is a crafty guy but it's hard to bet against Hopper's significant beserker streak.

Roxanne Roberts: I'd pay to see that.

Working from ho, ME: Technical question: So do you actually have offices somewhere in the WaPo building or do you get to do these chats in your bunny slippers from home?

Amy Argetsinger: We actually have desks here in the Washington Post newsroom -- just like real reporters!

Wall Street 2: How could anyone object to a sequel to Wall Street? Wouldn't be cathartic to have the general public storm the NYSE and beat Gecko to death with their now-worthless stock certificates? Anyone who thinks otherwise should double check his or her 401(k)

Amy Argetsinger: Honestly? I can't imagine audiences being very psyched about seeing that movie. Maybe I'm wrong.

if Al becomes Sen. Franken, will he still be able to be funny and irreverent : It hasn't stopped Barney Frank.

Roxanne Roberts: True. And Minnesota voters are a little quirky, aren't they? Gov. Ventura, anyone?

Movie Sequels:"Last Picture Show" 1971; "Texasville" 1990. Tell me which one you remember.

Amy Argetsinger:"The Last Picture Show" was outstanding. Don't know how it got beaten out for Best Picture by "The French Connection."

Sequel: I thought I'd heard that Robert Redford wanted to make a sequel of The Candidate, in which he plays the same character decades later. That could actually be interesting.

Amy Argetsinger: Actually, not a bad idea. (Except for the fact that belated sequels always turn out to be a bad idea, as established.)

The kiss: It's because Madge kissed Brit first. That was shocking when we saw it. By the time it hit Xtina it was old news. This is ridiculously sad, and pathetic, but true.

Amy Argetsinger: Was it that simple?

Xtina: We don't remember Christina's kiss because she was able to pull out of her death spiral and become a reasonably normal celebrity, while Britney just kept spiraling until she crashed and burned.

Amy Argetsinger: No, I think the other chatter might have had it. Because it was like, no one remembered the Xtina kiss as of the NEXT DAY. Whereas the Britney kiss -- I remember my brother saying it was like the Berlin Wall tumbling down.

re: peppermint ice cream: is ALWAYS a good thing. Like flat-front pants and Guy Ritchie being single. Like when I go on my first date with Guy Ritchie and he wears flat-front pants and we share a scoop of peppermint stick ice cream from Giffords. It's all good.

Roxanne Roberts: I was with you on the ice cream and pants, but you lost me with Guy Ritchie. You really think he's attractive? Or are you just happy he broke out of the Madonna prison? Cruel AND unusual punishment.

Waldorf, Md.: Amy Argetsinger: We actually have desks here in the Washington Post newsroom -- just like real reporters!

Fair enough. But I notice you didn't knock down the bunny slippers rumor.

Amy Argetsinger: No bunny slippers. I can't wear flats anymore.

confused: Amy, were you on Saved by the Bell? Or did you just work on the series? Or is there a joke inherent here that I don't understand?

Amy Argetsinger: Scroll back up to where we had this exchange...

Washington, D.C.: Sorry, can't stay for your chat. Using all my chat time for the day with the Mark-Paul Gosselaar chat at 1 p.m.

Amy Argetsinger: Working on the first draft of your questions already? Hey, why don't you just send us your questions for MPG, and we'll answer for him?

... and damned if they didn't take me up on it.

Sob: Now there will never be a sequel to "Swept Away"!

Amy Argetsinger: The artistic loss is almost impossible to comprehend.

Silver Spring, Md.: I just watched The Color of Money last week. It still holds up -- even though Tom Cruise is distracting since he went nuts. Great soundtrack too, and supporting roles by Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and John Turturro almost steal the movie. Almost.

Amy Argetsinger: Really? Okay, maybe I'll give it a try.

We actually have desks here in the Washington Post newsroom -- just like real reporters! : Maybe a sequel to "All The President's Men"?

Roxanne Roberts: We'll have to rename the secret source.

Bad Sequels 20 Years Late: Didn't Ryan O'Neal make a sequel to "Love Story"? I think he re-married, and ended up getting busted for doing drugs with his kid. Or am I mixing my reality with my movie memories?

Amy Argetsinger: He did "Oliver's Story" about eight years after the original. It was based on Erich Segal's sequel to his own novel. Candice Bergen was in it, that's all I know.

Washington, D.C.: Hey, don't knock peppermint ice cream. Years ago I visited a friend in New Orleans and we went to a hotel for a slice of their mile high ice cream pie (or 1.61 km high pie for the rest of the world). It had pink peppermint, vanilla and chocolate ice cream. It was marvelous. My friend went back and was disappointed that the peppermint had been replaced with strawberry ice cream. She said it just wasn't the same.

Roxanne Roberts: Sounds yummy. What order?

if Al becomes Sen. Franken, will he still be able to be funny and irreverent : Maybe he'll be pegged as a VP running mate and he can make up a phrase like "yer betcha Joe!" Sadly, being goofy does not disqualify one from public office.

Roxanne Roberts: Say it isn't so, Joe.

Wrong!: Peppermint ice cream is delicious! I'm going to bet that most of your posters never had real peppermint ice cream, which should be brilliant white in color with little crunchy flecks of peppermint candy in it, and not overpoweringly minty, but absolutely clean and brisk and lightly minty in flavor. I've been looking for it for decades, and I hope B and J got it right. I haven't had good peppermint ice cream since I was a kid. I'm a Barack supporter, but I'll gladly buy the McCain ice cream.

Amy Argetsinger: I once had the most delicious house-made mint ice cream at Obelisk in D.C. You could actually taste that vaguely musky undertone of the actual mint leaf. Incredible.

Good Stuff: I highly recommend the bacon cheeseburger and any of the specialty shakes. The fries with rosemary may be the best fries I've found in D.C. Totally worth the $20 and the long line.

Oh yeah, and make sure you go on your way home from the gym or the cardiologist's office...

Amy Argetsinger: Fries with rosemary. That sounds good.

St. Paul, Minn.: Speaking of Al Franken, do either of you find it a tad suspicious that his former comedy partner, Tom Davis, is nowhere to be seen? I'm not saying there is anything here but it may warrant further investigation and another trip to Minnesota for Roxanne.

Roxanne Roberts: Better hurry---it's getting cold there, and I don't do Minnesota winters. Probably the main reason I moved away. I'm a wimp.

Xtina kiss: No, it's because we didn't SEE her kiss Christina. As soon as she kissed Britney, MTV cut to Justin Timberlake in the audience to see whether/how he'd react. By the time they jumped back to the stage shot, she had already kissed Christina.

Amy Argetsinger: Ah, memories.

Anonymous: Degrees are for Washington elites? Excuse me, but even a high school diploma is essential for the sort of apprentice job that Levi the Loser is getting (probably through his future father-in-law). And degrees are for parents, so their kids don't move into the basement after graduating from college.

Roxanne Roberts: I was kidding. Levi does not strike me, however, as the academic type.

New York: It seems that artists -- Jackson Browne, John Cougar Mellencamp -- have been complaining about their songs being used at political rallies. Here were are, three weeks from the election and nobody has a decent theme song (along the lines of Clinton's "Don't Stop" and Gore's "You Can Call Me Al"). In the hopes that the campaigns are reading this chat right now, what songs would you advise the four candidates to adopt?

Amy Argetsinger: Good question. Wish I'd put this one out sooner. Hey, will you remember to ask this again next week? I'd ask everyone for their thoughts but I'm afraid it's almost time to turn out the lights and head on over to the Mark Paul Gosselaar chat.

(I'm glad he's not in the news often because his last name is a nightmare to spell.)

r u kidding me?: Dennis Hopper is a Republican? LSD Dennis?

Amy Argetsinger: Yep, he's a Republican -- though he just announced he's voting for Obama.

Palin children at risk: What about Sarah Palin packing her at-risk infant around at campaign rallies, where he's bound to be exposed to all sorts of cold viruses, and worse? And how scared must the poor little guy be? I mean, we snark on Paris, Brit and their wannabes who tote around miniature puppies as fashion accessories, but using one's own baby, as Palin has, is just plain irresponsible parenting. Where's the local children's services to clamp down on such child abuse?

Roxanne Roberts: It's a lose-lose for her: Take the baby on the campaign trail, get your reaction. Leave him at home, get cries that she's neglecting poor little Trig.

Irvine, Calif.: Was Piper named after the character on Charmed? That character even looks like the Palin girls.

Amy Argetsinger: I think she was named after the Piper Cub airplane, right? Which apparently everyone in Alaska has.

Sarah Palin: So taking your kid places with you constitutes "child abuse" now? Nothing like some election year perspective, there..

Amy Argetsinger: People get a little worked up in the final stretch to election day. It's not enough to simply disagree with a candidate's policies, I guess...

It's a lose-lose for her: Not really. Just don't parade him around at campaign rallies, in front of crowds.

Roxanne Roberts: Well, there is that. But that's not really Palin's style, now is it?

Peppermint Ice Cream Rocks!: Mrs K's Toll House in Silver Spring makes wonderful homemade peppermint ice cream during the Christmas season. I highly recommend!

Roxanne Roberts: Now I'm getting hungry.

Fairfax, Va.: Any ideas about Janet Jackson's mystery ailment?

Amy Argetsinger: According to People.com:

"Janet Jackson's Mystery Illness Revealed - Migraines!"

I love that little exclamation point at the end. Easily the best People.com headline since "Sharon Stone Denies Recommending Botox for Son's Feet."

Trig Palin: I despise Sarah Palin but even I will defend her right to campaign while caring for a baby. A baby that is well-fed, well-cared for, and surrounded by people seeing to his comfort. If you want to get up-in-arms about babies in danger, there are plenty of places in the world (Darfur, perhaps?) that could use a little American concern for their children.

Roxanne Roberts: Agreed. But imagine the fuss if the GOP ticket wins and she becomes the first breastfeeding Veep.

Bethesda, Md.: Levi Johnston looks like what the third generation of Kennedys should have looked like? Did I miss something? Whats wrong with the looks of the third generation? Who are the third gen members? Are the fourth any better?

Amy Argetsinger: Oh, they're all fine looking people -- I'm just joking that he looks more like a Kennedy than the Kennedys.

Honestly, a good strategist would be grooming him to run for governor of Alaska in another 15 years.: It's not like the current governor is any more qualified.

Amy Argetsinger: Ba dum BUMP!

Levi/Bristol: It is horrible to us to hear about them not graduating from high school, but it's all about context. In many (very small towns) places in the U.S., it is still true that having a high school degree vs. not really does not make a huge difference in the job prospects. To us, living where we do, our jaws hit the ground.

It reminds me of when MTV News went to Louisiana to get the reactions to Jamie Lynn getting pregnant -- unintentionally very funny. Everyone was like "ummm... good for her for lasting as long as she did!" and "all the teenage girls here are pregnant."

Amy Argetsinger: Fair point.

OMG MPG: OMG He's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy Argetsinger: Try to act cool and all natural-like, okay?

Piper WAS named for the Piper Cub....: But where does Trig come from? Certainly not the math. Is it short for Trigger? And if so, wasn't that Roy Rogers' horse?

Amy Argetsinger: It's "a Norse word meaning 'true' and 'brave victory,'" according to a spokesperson.

Roxanne Roberts: Speaking of sequels, we'll have to wait until next week to ponder other bad follow-ups. Thanks for chatting, send ideas and sightings to reliablesource@washpost.com, and enjoy the last days of Indian Summer.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity