washingtonpost.com
What's Cooking With Kim O'Donnel

Kim O'Donnel
Special to washingtonpost.com
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 1:00 PM

Calling all foodies! Join us for another edition of What's Cooking, our live online culinary hour with Kim O'Donnel.

A graduate of Peter Kump's New York Cooking School, Kim spends much of her time in front of the stove or with her nose in a cookbook. She was online Tuesday, October 21 at 1 p.m. to answer your cooking questions.

The transcript follows.

For daily dispatches from Kim's kitchen, check out her blog, A Mighty Appetite. You may catch up on previous transcripts with the What's Cooking archive page.

Kim O'Donnel: Hi folks. Sun is breaking through the fog here; looks like we'll have a sunny day here in the Emerald City. So Halloween is just 10 days away: Check out today's blog space for some Spooky Costumery ideas. I made onion jam last night -- check tomorrow's blog for those details and the many ways to play with it. What have you been discovering of late? Share your stories!

Alexandria, Va.: If my recipe tells me to make "rich" bullion by reducing two cups of it on the stove to a cup, what's the difference between simply preparing it with two cubes to one cup vs. following the recipe? Is there really a difference?

Kim O'Donnel: The cubes are loaded with salt, just be careful Alexandria. Check the label for sodium content -- and if you reduce the bouillon broth, the sodium level will be *extremely* concentrated. I think you'd see a tremendous difference, plus you'd salt at the end, after the stock has been reduced.

Cleveland, Ohio: I have three small-medium leeks in my fridge. Can you give me any ideas for using them in either a pasta or veggie dish? I don't really want to make potato leek soup, as I'm not a huge potato fan.

Kim O'Donnel: Man, you must be reading my mind, Cleveland. I caught a few minutes of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" on Travelchannel last night; he was eating his way through Spain's Basque country. One of the nibblers were these grilled leeks dipped in romanesco sauce. I'm thinking it's time to recreate this -- in fact, was just looking for romanesco sauce recipes. Meanwhile, let's ask others: Leek ideas?

Gluten-free cake: Both of my girls have birthdays in the next 10 days. My parents are coming to visit from Connecticut and staying long enough for both celebrations. Mom has celiac so I need gluten-free cakes. My youngest loves pumpkin pie, so I thought I'd make her a crustless pumpkin pie for her birthday "cake". I know there are gluten-free cake recipes out there. Do you or any of your peanuts have a tried-and-true one for me? There are no other allergies that need to be considered. Thanks!

Kim O'Donnel: Hey there: check out my gluten-free archive. The chocolate-quinoa cake is just lovely. For even more ideas, check out nearlynormalcooking.com, Web site of gluten-free baker Jules Shepard. E-mail her and I guarantee she'll get back to you with layer cake ideas.

Sauce: Romesco sauce, not romanesco. (I saw that episode too -- it all sounded so good!)

Kim O'Donnel: Yes, romesco, typing too fast! As soon as I get that sauce underway in the kitchen, I'll let you know in blog space.

cider cooking returns: I don't usually measure quantities carefully when cooking dinner, but I dug out my recipe card. Feel free to play with the quantities as needed -- you can sub apple juice/applesauce for the cider in a pinch, and if you have leftover leeks and apples they make a delicious lunch the next day. I think this came from a cooking magazine via a friend. It is my favorite fall recipe.

Chicken with Leeks and Apples - serves 4

Start a pot for wild rice (aim for 3 cups cooked). Cook according to pkg directions. Can substitute brown, white, or a mixture.

Saute 2 1/2 c. coarsely chopped apples, 1 2/3 c. thinly sliced leeks, and 1 tsp sugar (opt.) 12 min or until brown in small amt of oil/butter. Remove from heat.

Combine 1/4 c. grated Parmesan, 2 T. flour, and S&P in a shallow bowl. Dredge 4 chicken breasts in flour mixture. Saute in 1 T. butter in the same pan you used for the leeks until done. Remove.

Add 3/4 c. cider and 16 oz (2 c./1 can) chicken broth to deglaze the pan, and scrape up the brown bits. Add fresh/dried rosemary if you have it. Bring to a boil, then simmer until reduced by half (takes a while).

Opt: add 1/3 c. heavy cream, reduce heat and cook 5 min more - don't let it boil or it will separate (but still be tasty). Stir in the apples/leeks and a pinch of salt until the apples are warmed through. Taste for S&P. Plate with wild rice, chicken, and apples/leeks/sauce over all of it. Devour.

For the veggie folks, use good veggie broth and wild or brown rice for bulk, leave the chicken out -- you won't miss it. Or I suppose you could fry up your veggie protein of choice, but I've never felt the need when I've made a meatless version, especially if I add the cream. I've never tried to make a vegan version, but I'm sure it would work -- just use your favorite oil and a good hearty vegan broth.

Bonus cider use: I add a glug to most pots of soup in the fall. It's great in squash soups, of course, but I find it also adds a bit of flavor to your basic chicken soup, as well. It even works in chili/bean soups, as a substitute for the brown sugar I'd otherwise add.

Kim O'Donnel: This is a follow up on the apple cider recipe from last week's chat leftovers. Thanks for the clarification!

Guinness choc cake question: I made the Guinness Chocolate Cake and loved it, but the cream cheese frosting came out a bit yellow-ish, and I was hoping for someting more white (I plan to make it again and decorate it, hence the need for a color match). Any ideas for an alternative frosting, or should I maybe try another brand of cream cheese that's less yellow?

Kim O'Donnel: Hmm. When you opened cream cheese packet, did it have a yellowish tinge? Curious.

Northern Idaho: I just had to write in to thank Baltimore for posting the sausage/rice/apple recipe in last week's chat. I made it for dinner (added my own additions of allspice and sage) and it was INCREDIBLE! Thank you for a "keeper," Baltimore!

Kim O'Donnel: Aw, nice note for Baltimore, who just posted even more details on this apple cider-y dish. Cheers.

Central Virginia: Herb-OX puts out a sodium-free instant broth and seasoning bouillon in chicken and beef flavors. We have been using it for years and love it; keeps the sodium level down and still has taste. The packets are gluten free and have no MSG. No, I don't work for the company, just pleased to have a convenience like this when I am pressed for time.

Kim O'Donnel: Cool. Have you ever tried to reduce it for a more intense stock? Let us know.

Paris of the Great Plains: Hey Kim, it's Sara in Nebraska -- I just "inherited" a giant bag of garden peppers (mostly green bell, with a few banana peppers) from my colleague. Do you think they would work for a roasted pepper/feta dip? Can you give me an approximate recipe? Also, could I use goat cheese instead of feta? I am hosting girl's night this week and want to do something more fun than my usual Wheat Thins and string cheese platter. Thanks!

Kim O'Donnel: Hey Sara! I think it all depends how you feel about green bells. For me, they're just not as sweet as those reds and yellows. Why don't you roast one as an experiment, puree it, give it a quick taste and decide from there. You can roast the test bell while you're having a glass of wine...

Alexandria, Va.: Do you know where I can buy a prepared turducken locally? I was planning to have one shipped from Texas but it will cost an arm and a leg. Would love to know if there is a local option.

Kim O'Donnel: Let's throw this out to the Beltway crowd -- If I remember correctly, I think last year readers were reporting turducken sightings at Balducci's and Dean & Deluca. Yay or nay?

Chicago: Kim, I'm the mom who posted the recipe for the cherry tomato tart a few weeks ago asking for substitution suggestions for my non-onion-eating preschooler. I made the recipe this weekend -- with leeks, which worked well -- and it tasted good, but it was kind of a mess. The recipe called for putting in whole cherry tomatoes, but they burst when cooking and released a huge amount of liquid, which made the crust soggy and the whole tart fall apart when I tried to cut it.

I'm thinking if I made the recipe again I would precook the tomatoes to release their liquid, but worry they then would get overcooked. Another option would be to cut them in half and squeeze out some of the juice before putting them in the pie. What do you think?

Kim O'Donnel: You know what would be great here, Chicago? Sun-dried or oven-roasted tomatoes. You could make a batch of slow-roasted tomatoes and store them in a layer of olive oil in fridge, use them as you need. They would be more concentrated in flavor, less prone to explosions. Other thoughts from the front burner?

Fairfax, Va.: Kim, I'm seeing the end of the peppers for the season, and I'm dying to preserve them. If I roast them, can I then freeze the sliced, roasted peppers? It seems like that would make them easy to then toss on a pizza or in pasta or a quesadilla or whatever, but I'm worried that they'll end up mushy and weird. Any ideas?

Kim O'Donnel: You could keep them in oil in a jar in the fridge and use them all winter long. That would be my first choice. But let's ask: anyone out there ever have luck freezing roasted peppers?

MA Blog Reader: Is there any way you can update your blog recipe index? It is way out-of-date and I feel like I'm missing out not being able to quickly access all your suggestions.

Kim O'Donnel: Huge apologies. I know, it's woefully out of date. It's just me managing these kinds of things, and I've also had to deal with all kinds of weird characters in my recipes after a data migration. I'm working on, I promise. You'll start to see a few more recipes added to the mix every week, and I'll post an update in blog so that you know. Thanks for noticing!

Uses for leeks: There was a recipe in the Post last month for a mushroom leek noodle kugel that sounded really good. I haven't tried it personally yet though.

washingtonpost.com: Mushroom-Leek Noodle Kugel (The Washington Post, Sept. 24, 2008)

Kim O'Donnel: Oh nice. Thanks for sharing!

Central Virginia: Yes, I have used it to reduce stock and it works just fine. Those of us who have to watch our sodium content are pleased to find some time-saving products on the market that are not loaded with sodium.

Kim O'Donnel: Great news. Thanks for this tidbit.

Boston: Hi Kim, question about frozen fish. I got some uncooked frozen mahi-mahi in sauce from Trader Joe's last night. My plan is to incorporate this into lunches. I'm a single lady, and the package has two steaks. So my question for you is this: Will the fish taste like crud if I defrost it, cook it, and then freeze it again (cooked) to bring to work and warm it up for lunch? Should I just cook it, then throw it in the fridge?

Kim O'Donnel: Cook, then throw in fridge, my dear. Eat up within a few days, and you'll be in business.

Madera, Calif.: I make a wonderful-tasting pumpkin cookie, and when eaten fresh, they are spectacular. However, whenever I make the cookie a day ahead and place them in the fridge, they turn out very sticky. This is very similar to the way that banana bread gets a sticky top on it when placed in the fridge. Doesn't matter how carefully the cookies are wrapped, they always turn out sticky.

Can you advise on what I can do to make them carry over a day or two with the same integrity of the day that I make them?

Kim O'Donnel: I would probably try keeping these kinds of baked goods out of the fridge and storing them in airtight containers or in plastic wrap on counter. Give it a whirl, see what happens.

Asheville, N.C.: I have a soup question for you. I love to eat soup but I need to watch my sodium intake. This may sound like a silly question, but does homemade chicken broth contain less sodium than premade broth you buy at the store? I do usually buy low-sodium chicken broth to cook with but I am wondering if I can cut the sodium even more by making it myself.

Kim O'Donnel: Yes you can cut the sodium if you make the stock yourself. Use the backbone of an uncooked chicken, remove fat and googly stuff. Then into a pot, with some black peppercorns, a quartered onion, some parsley sprigs, a few garlic cloves. Add just enough water to barely cover, bring up to a boil, skim off top, reduce heat, let simmer for about an hour. No salt has been added. When cooled, you can freeze and use as needed.

Atlanta, Ga.: When I lived in Ireland, they made a pot pie-style dish with leeks. The most common is chicken and leeks but a veggie version works too. Nothing elaborate but tasty and comforting: cut up chicken or root veggies, lots of sliced leeks in a white sauce with the crust topping of your choice.

Kim O'Donnel: Yes, yes, Atlanta! Been thinking of a veggie pot pie myself. Stay tuned for an upcoming Meatless Monday feature.

Alexandria, Va.: Kim, fellow foodies - A recipe for red chile enchilada sauce calls for dried, red, New Mexico Chile pods. Any idea where I could get some, short of ordering them online? The grocery stores have dried ancho and guajillo peppers, but not New Mexico chilies. If anyone knows of any suitable substitutions, that would be great too! Thanks.

Kim O'Donnel: Hey there, have you been to your nearest farm market lately? This is time of year when vendors will dry peppers and sell'em. I just bought a bag of cayenne chile peppers at my market last weekend. If local market doesn't work out, I'd head to a Latino grocery, where chiles should be a'plenty. Other thoughts for this reader?

San Francisco: In last week's discussion, someone from Baltimore shared a recipe for brown rice with apple & sausage. I made it over the weekend, subbing apple juice for water when making the rice, as instructed. Well, the rice never achieved the proper consistency. All the juice was absorbed, but the rice didn't plump up and get soft. It was edible but still a little crunchy. Should I have used more juice and is there anything I can do to fix the batch already made? (I'm going to eat it, regardless. Too much to waste and it's really not bad, just not as good as I know it could be.)

Kim O'Donnel: I'll post this so Baltimore can respond.

Washington, D.C.: Madera, would you mind sharing that pumpkin cookie recipe? Please? Sugar on top?

Kim O'Donnel: Another reader-to-reader request...

Turduken: I've seen Turduken in the frozen section at Harris Teeter. I'm out in Loudoun County, but I would guess the Alexandria one(s) have it too.

Kim O'Donnel: Ah, excellent. Thanks for chiming in.

More brining in D.C.: Hi, Kim, I'm about to try brining chicken with star anise as you suggested last chat -- but please tell me, should I crush or crack the "stars" before adding them to the salted water? Or just drop them in whole? And how many? Also, I've been unable to find coriander seeds, which you also recommended. Is powdered coriander or fresh cilantro okay instead? Thank you!!!

Kim O'Donnel: Hey there, unnecessary to crush anise, one is just plenty for a chicken, 2 is nice for a larger turkey. Powdered coriander will get lost in the sauce. Have you tried an Indian or Asian grocery for coriander seeds?

Madera, Calif.: Again, pumpkin cookie dilemma.

I've also tried leaving the pumpkin cookies on the counter (wrapped carefully), but they still get sticky. I though that maybe I'm not baking the cookies long enough, and that the moisture is leaching out of them to the surface, resulting in sticky cookies. But even when I've baked them longer than the required 15 minutes, the cookie overcooks and tastes dry and STILL gets a sticky surface. Any other recommendations?

Kim O'Donnel: just remember, pumpkin is dense. What are you using for sweetener -- honey or agave, by chance?

Cheese On My Tater: Kim, I could go for a warm baked potato right about now but I'm tired of cheddar cheese. What other cheese could I use that has some zip to it? I tried pepper jack but didn't like it. Thanks!

Kim O'Donnel: Hmm...what about a smidge of your favorite blue? Or gruyere?

Silver Spring, Md.: I'd like to make cupcakes for my son's fourth birthday party this weekend. I have my heart set on a cream cheese frosting. Any ideas of what kind of cake I should pair with cream cheese frosting besides red velvet? I don't want all that red food coloring. Any tried and true cream cheese frosting and cake recipes out there? Thanks! P.S. I can't use any nuts in the recipe.

Kim O'Donnel: What about a chocolate zucchini cake, sans nuts?

Fresh sage ideas?: Over the weekend I made Peter Berley's pumpkin walnut pate and it was amazing! It included fresh sage, which I have never cooked with before but loved the flavor. I have a lot of sage left. Any vegetarian-friendly ideas?

Kim O'Donnel: Looking for Sage Advice: a slew of reader ideas on how to use fresh sage. Check it out!

Boston: Last year Sam's Club had turducken, and Costco is always worth a try.

Kim O'Donnel: More turducken sightings...

Washington, D.C.: To coriander seeds - they are in Giant, Safeway, Whole Foods and Shoppers.

Kim O'Donnel: and for the reader in pursuit of coriander seeds...

Clifton, Va.: Alexandria, Va.: For dried peppers try Wegman's in Fairfax. They have an extensive selection. You might also try Whole Paycheck but Wegman's will have them cheaper!

Kim O'Donnel: And dried chiles...so helpful you all are, today!

Soggy cookies: My grandmother used to make delicious molasses cookies at Christmastime, and she'd store them in a metal tin between sheets of wax paper, with a slice of apple in there to keep them at the right texture. I don't know what it is the apple does (something about what happens to it when it comes in contact with oxygen, maybe?), but it always worked, and it didn't impart any apple flavor.

Incidentally, I cannot for the life of me find the right molasses cookie recipe. I made one last year that tasted great but was too light in color, and when I tried a darker molasses they tasted terrible. Any suggestions?

Kim O'Donnel: See what you think of htese chocolate spice cookies. Great flavor!

Herbs and apples?: Hi Kim! So with fall finally here, I'm getting into baking mode! The trick is, I don't really like sweets, and really enjoy desserts and pies with herb components. Last night I made two apple pies, one with a cheddar crust and one regular. I will be making a whipped cream tonight to serve with them. I was thinking about doing a sage whipped cream -- finely chopping the sage and blending it with the cream in my processor. Any thoughts on that?

Kim O'Donnel: Hey, anything is worth one try 'round the block. I am a big fan of mixing herbs and apples. Every year at this time, I do an apple pie with rosemary and pinenuts. Killer. You might also try apple sauce seasoned thyme.

Boston: Hi Kim, I have been enjoying cooking big batches of food this fall (soups, lentils, enchilada filling) and putting leftovers in the freezer. I haven't really been a freezer-stocker before so I'm wondering how long things should stay in the freezer and what the best method for defrosting is? Should I just treat it like defrosting meat - stick it in the fridge 24-48 hours before I want to eat it? I want to take best advantage of my recent cooking mojo!

Kim O'Donnel: Boston, nice going on all the hard work. Label everything with a date. My preference is to thaw in fridge or at this time of year, in a very cool laundry/mud room.

Coriander Seeds: You can also get coriander seeds at Indian grocery stores (probably cheaper than at your local grocery store).

Kim O'Donnel: Yep, mentioned that -- Indian, Asian and Middle East groceries all would carry.

Cold Midwest: Hi. Roasted some fall veggies the other night as a side to roast pork (separate pans). Have some veggies leftover and wanted to make them into a soup. My plan is to simmer the veg in broth until they are a bit more tender than they are now, then puree. (Might remove a few to add back in after pureeing, for texture...). Will I need extra seasonings? Any other recommendations?

I roasted daikon radish, turnips, white potatoes, butternut squash, onion and a few carrots -- some olive oil, S&P, garlic and herbs. Thanks for your thoughts!

Kim O'Donnel: Hi ya: You might want the heat of a chile, the sweetness of a smidge of honey, the acidity of a squeeze of lemon. More salt and pepper, too. Season gradually!

Storing cookies: Despite growing up on white Wonder Bread, my wife and I do not eat it or keep it in the house. However, a few slices of white bread in an airtight container of cookies will refresh even the worst dried out cookies. So, for the pumpkin cookies made a day before, just put in an airtight container with a slice or two of white bread. The day of the event, take the bread out and the cookies should still be fresh, right on the counter rather than in the fridge.

Note that the stickiness comes from the moisture in the air inside your bag/container condensing like dew on your baked goods and mixing with the gluten to make that sticky mess.

Kim O'Donnel: Excellent tidbit.

frozen roasted peppers: My dad said that he got a bunch of peppers from his CSA last year and did exactly that, roasted them and put them in freezer bags, then used them in everything all winter long. I thought it sounded like a great way to store peppers, which can be so expensive in the winter!

Kim O'Donnel: Nice one! Thanks so much for following up. It is indeed a great cost-saving trick.

Philadelphia: There's a recipe in Mark Grant's "Roman Cookery: Ancient Recipes for Modern Kitchens" that's a barley, red lentil (or maybe green? I use both/either), and leek soup. I don't remember the exact amounts (don't have the book handy, either), but you want lots more barley than lentils. Soak the barley and lentils beforehand as you would for other recipes, changing the water as necessary. When you go to cook it (in water, with the amount based on how you like your soups), add as much leek and dill as you want for flavoring.

Uh, his recipe is a lot more exact. But it's one of those that doesn't actually need exact amounts, unless you're trying to recreate the taste as close as reasonable to what would have been eaten. Those are his ingredients; I gave you the way I cook them. But I usually use broth and add other herbs, too.

Kim O'Donnel: Nice one, Philly! I've been hankering for lentils, might be time to get some on the stove.

Vienna, Va.: I'm submitting early because of a meeting, and I need help! I want to bake chocolate raspberry cupcakes as a thank you to a neighbor who recently did me a big favor. I have a good chocolate cupcake recipe, but how should I go about adding raspberry jam filling? Can I just put a bit of batter in the cupcake pan, then a dollop of jam, then the rest of the batter, and bake as usual? Or will the jam just bake into the cake? Do I need to get one of those pastry squirters to squirt jam into each cupcake after they bake? Will that work w/out breaking the cupcakes? Also, I want to top each cupcake with raspberry buttercream and chocolate shavings. Can I just add some raspberry jam to my basic buttercream frosting recipe and blend it in? Or is there a better way? Any answers from you and chatters would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Kim O'Donnel: A pastry bag with a plain tip would be your best bet. You need to wait until cupcakes are completely cool. You'll insert jam on the top end, then cover with buttercream. A little filling goes a long way. Other thoughts for this cupcake maker?

ooh, recipe request?: I'd love to know that cheddar crust for the apple pie recipe? Please-with-sugar-on-top?

Kim O'Donnel: More reader-to-reader luv in the house...maybe we should start a Facebook page?

Philadelphia: Freezing roasted peppers is fine. Freezing them raw is questionable because of the cell structure, but since that's already gone once they're roasted and floppy, freeze away. I put them in a plastic Ziploc and flatten it out as much as I can before freezing so I can just snap off some amount of pepper strips without having to thaw and use the whole thing. Delicious to mix into dips, put on sandwiches, make romesco sauce, throw into enchiladas, etc.

Kim O'Donnel: More great tips on freezing peppers. Thanks so much.

Molasses Cookies: These cookies are phenomenal; I dream about them all year. Especially good with blackstrap molasses.

Kim O'Donnel: alright!

Mashed Potatoes: I am making beef bourguignon for a dinner party this weekend, and will be serving it over mashed potatoes. Can you please give me some tips about making the mashed potatoes in advance? The potatoes start to discolor once I peel them, and I don't want to be peeling potatoes when my guests are there. I'm sure any tips would be helpful for those serving mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving.

Thanks so much. Love the chats. Hope you love living in Seattle.

Kim O'Donnel: Make them ahead, reheat them in the oven, covered, about 250, maybe 300 degrees, until warmed through. Don't want oven too hot, they need gentle reheating.

pumpkin baked goods: No matter what I make from canned pumpkin (cheesecake, baked goods, etc.), I always press the pumpkin between many many layers of paper towels (it won't stick, I swear -- lay it out on the toweling, cover with more and really push down hard). You would be amazed at how much moisture it extracts.

Kim O'Donnel: Aha. Interesting...I like this idea.

Edmonton, Canada: Oh Kim, every summer I think "this is the best season to be a vegetarian" and every fall I change my mind! Yesterday I heated up my cast iron skillet with some olive oil, then added a chopped onion and some garlic. Cooked that down a bit then added some peeled, cubed rutabaga, gold beets, candy-cane beets, purple potatoes, sweet potatoes, and sugar pumpkin. (I also threw in a sliced vegetarian sausage because I love the taste, but it would have been fine without).

Fried it all for a bit with some salt and pepper, then put the whole thing into the oven for a half-hour. The vegetables were beautiful, crispy and caramelly and sweet-roasted on the inside. Ohhh, man. I'm having leftovers for lunch today.

I hope you're enjoying Seattle -- I lived there for 3 years and consider it my second home. Such a wonderful city.

Kim O'Donnel: Hi Edmonton! Thanks for checking in. Hoping one of these days I get to that part of your country. I have a confession to make: After many years of trying beets, I finally ate them -- and liked them!! I had them kind of like you describe, cooked thin in a skillet. I think the texture, rather than cubes, was the deciding factor. Hoping to share some recipe details soon.

Special needs b-day cake decorations: Hi Kim, I've got an upcoming "special needs" birthday celebration too. Anyone know of a natural food color available for use in making icing? The artificial colors may be causing some issues for our little guy, and I'd rather he didn't crash and burn at his party. Also, if someone has an icing that would work on pumpkin spice or apple spice cake that isn't too sweet I would really appreciate it.

Kim O'Donnel: What about an apple butter icing? Cream cheese and apple butter. I need to find those details.

Washington, D.C.: Thanks. We want to order a Thanksgiving banquet from someplace. Do you have recommendations on some not to pricey places? Last year we had Boston Market, which was very good. I thought of trying another, like Harris Teeter, Giant Food. Balducci's is too expensive for us. Is there a Post guide?

Kim O'Donnel: There is one every year, and I'm sure the Food section is working away on such a guide at this very moment. I'll ask around and get the details on when you can expect to see it.

Chicago: Kim, I too made Baltimore's apple juice and rice recipe from last week. I used wild rice rather than brown rice, but it came out fine. I also substituted cut up "Field Roast" for the sausage because I'm veggie, and it was so good my husband ate three helpings. I'm thinking of making it for Thanksgiving, as a stuffing for a small pumpkin or some other squash.

Kim O'Donnel: Nice. What do you think of Field Roast? I really like the chipotle sausage. FR is based here in Seattle -- hoping to visit their facility soon.

Kim O'Donnel: Okay, we are officially out of time! Great hour, lots of stuff to chew on. Hope to have news about "Curry Club" this week -- check in the blog space: A Mighty Appetite. Bye!

© 2008 Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive