Celebritology Live: The One Where We Talk About 'Twilight'

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Liz Kelly
washingtonpost.com Celebritology Blogger
Thursday, November 20, 2008; 2:00 PM

When stars shave their heads, couch-jump, spend countless minutes in jail, commit a fashion faux pas and/or other random acts of ego-inspired inanity, washingtonpost.com Celebritology blogger Liz Kelly is on the job. Every weekday, Liz shares the buzz, offers perspective and provides crucial links to juicy alternate news sources and, of course, takes your reaction in her daily blog.

Join Liz LIVE every Thursday at 2 p.m. ET to gab about the latest celebrity pairings (and splittings), rising stars (and falling ones), and get the scoop on the latest gossip making waves across the Web.

In her pre-celeb obsessed days (as if!), Liz ran washingtonpost.com's Discussions section, where she enjoyed talking to really interesting people -- sometimes even Post reporters -- on the phone. She still produces Pulitzer-prize winner Gene Weingarten's weekly Chatological Humor discussion and serves as co-proprietress of post.com's "Lost" Central.

Celebritology Live Archive

Liz Kelly: Welcome back.

This is the last time we'll gather until after Thanksgiving, since next week's chat time falls about the time that most of us are starting to salivate for whatever aromas are wafting out of the oven (in my veggie case, a butternut squash tart). I figured it would be asking a lot to have you all leave your families and football games to convene for our weekly gab. Even I recognize that there are limits.

So, let's cram two weeks worth of chatty goodness into this one hour. I'm counting on every one of you to hold up your end of the bargain.

And, another reminder about the upcoming meet-and-greet:

Mighty Appetite blogger Kim O'Donnel and I will be on hand Thursday, Dec. 4 from 6 - 8 p.m. for an official meet-and-greet at D.C.'s M Bar at the Renaissance M St Hotel. (Facebookers: Details here.)

Let's get going...

Alexandria, Va.: Can I get a heaping bowl of gossip instead of a heaping plate? I was expecting a gossip stew and brought a spoon.

Liz Kelly: Sure thing. At the Celebritology cafe, we aim to please. We can accomodate most tastes from heaping-bowl-with-a-spoon all the way up to steaming-vat-and-spear.

Scared of this Twilight thing!: Help me Liz! These "Twilight" teens and the moms/shut-ins who love them scare me!

washingtonpost.com: Twilight Fans Start Mini Riot in San Francisco (slashfilm.com)

Liz Kelly: Oh, trust me. I know. Imagine being locked in a 2,000 seat auditorium with 1,999 of those seats filled by "Twilight" tweaked tweeners just waiting for a glimpse of James Pattison on stage.

I wisely avoided the "Twilight" madness at Comic-Con, but intrepid Jen Chaney plunged into the thick of the pre-pubescent crush to get the scoop. Here's her take:

Liz Kelly: Basically, many of these fans are preteen girls who love the lofty idea of a super-hot guy who will protect them while also being a badass, but one who can't take the physical relationship too far. It's sexy without the sex, which is perfect for girls that age.

As for the Twilight Moms -- and there is such a group -- I think it's pure escapism, a return to the days when they were 11 and they assumed adult life would closely resemble a harlequin romance. It's Harlequin, with a Goth edge. Which makes it cooler.

Liz Kelly: So apparently "Twilight" is a cross between Harlequin romance, goth stylings and the "High School Musical" fan base. Total recipe for disaster.

Bad celeb breakups: Re: yesterday's list of bad celebrity breakups -- how could the queen of breakups Liz Taylor not qualify? (Eddie Fisher's marriage breakup with Debbie Reynolds, Larry Fortensky, Sen. Warner and Richard Burton -- twice!)

washingtonpost.com: Jen, Brangelina, and the Ten Worst Celebrity Breakups (nymag.com)

What about Woody and Mia?

Liz Kelly: Obviously this list was compiled before word broke yesterday evening of the end of Parji -- my affectionate portmanteau for Paris Hilton and Benji Madden. I guess Paris wasn't ready to settle down, after all. At least not with the less famous Madden brother. Poor guy. Maybe Gwyneth can have Benji join her family for Thanksgiving.

I agree -- there are definitely uglier break ups than the ones listed in the NY Mag list, but they precede the list with the condition that the break up must have happened "in recent memory." So, alas, that leaves out the Liz Taylors of the world.

I'm happy to entertain candidates for worst break up of all time here today, tho.

Liz Kelly: Speaking of recipes, I hope everyone got today's GOOP newsletter, detailing Gwyneth's personal Thanksgiving recipes.

Look out Martha, there's a new sheriff in town.

Win-Oh-No! Ryder: Is WR back on the prescriptions or "exhausted" again? I hope not -- I like her healthy and working...

washingtonpost.com: Winona Ryder "in good health" after flight illness (reuters.com)

Liz Kelly: The Daily Mail -- which we all should remember to take with a big grain of salt -- claims that Winona OD'd on tranquilizers, necessitating her speedy transport to the hospital. I'm sure we'll hear more as details seep out.

Sexiest Man: "Meh"!? He's 6 feet 2 of Australian studliness and you say "meh"? Good lord, woman. Give me tall, sexy and rugged (see also Clive Owen) any day.

Liz Kelly: Listen lady, we all have our likes and dislikes. And Mr. Jackman just doesn't do it for me. He's too beefy and buff. He wasn't always. It's the "Wolverine" influence.

And as another blogger has already noted, this totally should have been Jon Hamm's year.

As for Clive Owen, totally agreed.

Color Me Puzzled: Did I miss something? Is Paul Rudd gay? He was on SNL this past Saturday and I lost count of how many male castmembers he kissed. And the number of gay jokes?? I can't count that high. So what did I miss?? He's still cute in a boy-next-door sorta way. I think I just need some clarity.

Liz Kelly: Nope. Though he is much beloved by the gay community (here's a good interview he did with The Advocate), Paul is happily married to longtime girlfriend Julie Yaeger.

He did play a gay character in "The Object of My Affection" and had a semi-famous "I know you're gay because..." scene with Seth Rogen in the "40-Year-Old Virgin." (My favorite answer? "Because you like Coldplay.")

Am I the only woman: over the age of 12 who is interested to see if Robert Pattinson will beat out Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Stuart Townsend as the hottest vampire ever?

Liz Kelly: Apparently not.

I'm beginning to worry a bit about this chat. Is this going to turn into a vampire chat? Because if so I'm going to go on record as saying that vampire Bill from "True Blood" could totally kick Robert Pattison's teenaged rear.

Did you see BPitt's scary superfan on Oprah? : The whole encounter was squirm in your seat awkward: from the intro with her congrats on him "finding" Angelina to the tattoo chat...

washingtonpost.com: Buffalo Bill-esque Fan Induces Brad Pitt Panic Attack On 'Oprah' (defamer.com)

Liz Kelly: Yes, they let that woman go on far too long after Brad was obviously not disposed to answer her questions. She had all the tenaciousness of a stalker.

Mens Wear Dept, Tysons Corner: Liz, do we have you to thank for finding that shocking photo of Bush and the Arizona State teams?

I would like to take this opportunity to remind Celebritology regulars to not wear pleated pants when visiting their relatives for Thanksgiving. Wearing pleated pants sets the stage for familial acrimony and and for subsequent angry missives to Carolyn Hax.

Liz Kelly: Right. And I'm sure tomorrow's Hax chat will be the usual yearly pre-Thanksgiving mad house. So fun, so draining. Vomiting turkeys and all.

As for the shocking photo, that was located by one of Gene's readers. I think he gave her credit in Tuesday's intro.

Obama's likes and dislikes: A friend very high up in the campaign (and now the transition) tells me that Obama favors pleats and thinks tattoos are trashy.

Thoughts?

Liz Kelly: Nice try.

Malaysia ... : Hi there!

I've written before and love the chats. But I always read them afterward because of the time difference.

Just wanted to share ... while walking my rescue dog that I brought over -- I found a lost little puppy which is now, unexpectedly mine. I'd love to post a picture of them, but it does not seem possible.

For anyone who might care, I think the pup will be a surprise gift to my folks when I visit for the holidays. Of course, if that doesn't go over well -- she will officially be mine.

Let me know how ... and I'll send you an adorable picture next week.

AS FOR CELEB GOSSIP -- is Miley Cyrus gonna fade away ... or does she have staying power? She annoys the heck out of me. I hope she's a child star that fades in a very healthy way. Glad I don't have kids... I'd hate for them to worship that.

And is anyone sick of Brangelina? ... love them ... but am starting to tire of the whole do-good schtick.

Liz Kelly: You ask some interesting questions Malaysia. All of which are eclipsed by the juxtaposition of you casually dropping that you adopted a stray, then take Brangelina to task for "do-gooding."

Thanks to producer Paul for pointing that out and -- I'd be careful about giving a pet as a gift. I think people usually like to adopt pets on their own timeline.

Washington, D.C.: Exactly how much of a tool does it make me that I'm a 30-year-old woman who's excited about "Twilight" opening? If it helps, I refuse to go this weekend because I don't want to deal with the 13-year-old set.

washingtonpost.com: You should come up with a scale of tooldom.

Liz Kelly: Okay, this is officially the vampire infested chat.

On the scale of tooldom, I'd say you're worse off than a "True Blood" enthusiast, but not quite as pitiful as the 7-year-old who earlier this week asked Pattison to bite her.

And, no, I did not just call a 7-year-old a tool.

Nosy Parker: Should've thought of this for Halloween: If you could play the corpse on any TV criminal procedural show, which one would you choose? Me, I'd pick "Bones" or "NCIS," because of the pulchritude of the male leads.

Liz Kelly: Ooh, that's a good one. I don't watch any police procedurals. Could I instead dress up as my favorite felon from COPS? That would be a guy by the name of Peacewalker. Sadly, I can't find a clip online.

Bethesda, Md.: Liz --

Goodness knows that I despise Gwyneth with a white-hot burning hatred, but darn-it-all, that Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie in her blog looks (and sounds) so good! Aaaack! What's a girl to do? . . .

Liz Kelly: Let's all just calm down. Carm down, even.

It is possible to despise the insouciant one yet still like the recipe. In all likelihood she did not invent this tempting concoction.

GOOP Glop: I went in loaded-for-bear to rip on Gwynnie's T-day manifesto (stuffed turkey burgers?) but she kind of won me over at "Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie with Maple Whipped Cream."

Liz Kelly: If that's all it takes to win you over, I've got some wicked apple crisp in my fridge as we speak.

Liz Kelly: Producer Paul agrees. I think both of you are letting the terrorists win.

Thanksgiving: I am thankful for Celebritology chats. Thanks, Liz!

Liz Kelly: Same here. Thanks to you and all chatters for my favorite hour of the week.

Bethesda, again . . . : Oh, and I gotta say that, had you seen Hugh Jackman on Broadway in "The Boy from Oz," you would not say "meh." He was absolutely incredible in that role.

Liz Kelly: Sez you.

Remember, I'm the girl who was talking up Iggy Pop's hotness factor last week.

Vampire Love: But a girl can never forget her first vampire, George Hamilton -- "Love at First Bite"! I was 6!

washingtonpost.com: Jami Gertz in "The Lost Boys." Sigh.

Liz Kelly: Oh geez. My first vamp was Christopher Lee and let me tell you, the formula does not hold.

I was, however, utterly gaga over Gary Oldman's long-haired Dracula.

Buffalo Bill-esque fan: Now I keep picturing that woman telling Brad to "put the lotion in the basket"...

Liz Kelly: See, I have the much worse image stuck in my head. The image of a cross-dressing Buffalo Bill dancing around in front of a mirror repeating one horrible quote over and over and over.

Madden and Hilton: Is it bad that I'm soooo excited that they broke up? For some reason, Nicole Richie has totally won me over, but Paris gives me the creeps. I didn't want her in Maryland if the Madden's had a good ol' family get-together.

Liz Kelly: I think I see where you're coming from. Paris never looked much at ease with Benji. I don't think we trusted her intentions with our hometown boy.

Wilmington, Del.: Re: bad break-ups -- didn't Clint Eastwood once break up with his live-in girlfriend by locking her out of their house and piling all of her things outside?

Liz Kelly: I think you're talking about Sondra Locke -- Clint's co-star in a few movies, including "Every Which Way But Loose" (shudder), and I think he did change the locks on the house, though according to Wikipedia he actually put all of her belongings in storage.

Mens Wear Dept, Tysons Corner: Wait a minute! I tell fellow drivers on the Beltway to "Bite me!" several times a day. So does the Lady from Legal. Does this make us vampire groupies?

Liz Kelly: I think you're safe.

I was, however, utterly gaga over Gary Oldman's long-haired Dracula. : I'm kind of gaga over Gary Oldman in just about anything. "Immortal Beloved," anyone?

Liz Kelly: Yes. Agreed.

Philadelphia, Pa.: After the Ashley Simpson incident, I thought SNL was moving towards live music. Shall I presume the music is lip synced, or might it be a portion of both live and recorded? I only ask because someone forgot to tell Beyonce that you have to at least move your lips when you're pretending to lip sing. Seriously, watch the clip. You hear her singing while she's dancing, and her mouth is shut.

Liz Kelly: Ya know, I missed Beyonce's actual performances. Though I did, luckily, catch the Justin Timberlake as a leotard-wearing back-up dancer bit.

Oddly, NBC doesn't have that sketch up online, though a few seconds are excerpted in this backstage talk between Timberlake and partner in crime Andy Samberg.

Feeling sorry for Britney: There are all of these video clips of Britney from an MTV special on the net. She seems so sad in all of them and it brings up an issue I have thought about before: why doesn't Britney (or any other celeb who is tired of the spotlight) just buy a house in the middle of nowhere and drop off the radar for a few years if they are unhappy? Presumably, she has made enough money that she can quit working for the rest of her life. Or is it that so many people depend on her for their livelihood that no one will let her stop?

Liz Kelly: Well, probably for a few reasons. And, before I go on -- there are some people who do this. In fact, probably the large portion of people who have had their 15 minutes in the pop culture spotlight don't end up making a lifelong career out of it.

But, for Britney -- this is what she's good at. It's all she knows. She grew up equating public adulation with success. And maybe she likes it. And there's nothing wrong with that as long as she can attain some kind of balance that leaves her not only stable, but happy.

See today's main Celebritology post for Dr. Andrea Bonior's take on analyzing Brit.

It's not the chat it's the Zeitgeist - vampires: All things vampire happen to be colliding this week: "Twilight" premiere, "True Blood" finale -- even "South Park" did an episode last night on vampubiquity.

You are totally right on Vampire Bill kicking all their butts though.

Liz Kelly: Thank you.

And for all you "True Blood" watchers out there, here's to Sam getting his from Bill in Sunday's finale.

Miley: Is it just me, or is it GROSS that she's 15 and dating a 20-year-old? I mean.... you can argue the whole "I'm a Christian and don't believe in sex before marriage" thing, but it's still disturbing to see a guy date someone who is a TEENAGER...and not even a safe 18, either!

Liz Kelly: Gross is a strong word and a little more graphic than what I'd go with: inappropriate. But, hey, the heart wants what it wants and Miley's parents are fully on board with this, so I can only hope they are looking out for her best interests.

Scarier than Twilight teens or BradPitt Super fan...: Has to be this outfit Sarah Brightman wore at the Verizon Center last night.

Liz Kelly: Good god. It's some kind of bordello-inspired nightmare.

Ordway St., NW: Jon, Jon, Jon....Aside from any other private problems they may have - wasn't JV's yapping to the press on his opinion of Angelina and her parenting/family choices a big part of the reason they are estranged? Why does the guy persist in in the yapping?

washingtonpost.com: Jon Voight: Angelina's "Always Had This Very Unusual Idea" About Family (usmagazine.com)

Liz Kelly: Yeah, the guy doesn't help his case much by calling her parenting style "unusual."

And note that he has not met the twins.

Bad breakups: "What about Woody and Mia?" Oh thanks very much, now I need an equal dose of brain bleach and some magical compound capable of stopping icky skin crawl. It may not be the worst, but it was certainly the most revolting.

Liz Kelly: Yes, theirs was truly a bitter and ugly split. Thanks for the reminder.

Vampire love redux: Boreanaz in "Buffy." And no offence to Stephanie Meyers, but all those themes of safe adolescent sexual attraction and romance were pretty thoroughly covered in seven seasons of "Buffy." Which is, I'd guess, why her audience is not just the tweeners too young to remember "Buffy," but women in their thirties and forties too.

Liz Kelly: Good point.

What is it about vampires that makes them the hot cousin of the monster world. Your average zombie or wolfman has zero profile compared to a vampire.

Fellow vegetarian: Isn't it just simply WRONG on so many levels for a vegetarian to like vampire shows?

Liz Kelly: Yes. And no. I'm not sure how to reconcile that except to say that I'm also against fake bakes and hair extensions, yet I love me some "Real Housewives of Atlanta."

Vampire lit: The True Blood show is loosely based on Charlaine Harris's wonderful series of vampire books. As these books move along, Vampire Bill is eclipsed in hotness by Vampire Eric (who is also much higher up in the vampire political order). But then there start to be werewolves and shape shifters and the whole "others" community gets mighty confusing.

Liz Kelly: Vampire Eric is hot, too, in a Nordic albino kind of way.

Washington DC: Not exactly celebrities, but.....Important Political Figures.......

Can we get fashion consultants for the first daughters-elect and the first lady-elect? They all are lovely, but need some serious wardrobe makeovers!

Liz Kelly: Are you joking?

First of all, I think Michelle Obama may be the best-dressed first lady we've seen since Jackie O. Her election night dress aside, she is usually pitch perfect and fashion forward.

As for the girls, you can't realistically be criticizing the fashion choices of two elementary school girls. Can you?

Feeling conflicted: Against my will, I am feeling...respect..for Guy Ritchie after reading that he is reportedly set to relinquish any rights to Madonna's fortune as part of their divorce deal - in a bid to win access to the couple's children. Please advise.

Liz Kelly: Completely agreed. According to reports in English newspapers, Ritchie has foregone any claim to a portion of Madonna's vast fortune.

Though please note that Guy's own net worth is somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 million, so it isn't as if he's going to experience much of a change in lifestyle.

And as for respecting him -- I think that of the two, I'd side with Guy any day.

Madison, WI: What is Twilight? How have I never heard of this? Granted, I am kind of out of it (no TV), but still, I read the internet.

Liz Kelly: Twilight: A Tasty Bite of Vampire Romance, (Post, Nov. 20)

Kim O'D: Liz, drizzly greetings from SEA. You should tell everyone we'll be wearing special party outfits for the shindig and there'll be a special cocktail in honor of the event...and aren't we giving away a special prize to a lucky winner? Off to make my Thanksgiving shopping list.

Liz Kelly: What she said.

There will indeed be many super-secret special cocktails to be had, along with that special prize.

Toofun, NY: Liz, I just had to tell you I lovelovelove the Santahof! It solved the problem of what to put in the office grab bag, for sure!

washingtonpost.com: Have Yourself a Merry Little Hoff-mas

Liz Kelly: Glad I could help.

Quatch Cave: "Your average zombie or wolfman has zero profile compared to a vampire."

And a Sasquatchian profile is in negative territory.

Since there's no chat next week, let's have a shout out for D.B. Cooper Day, November 24.

Liz Kelly: Okay, sas. Though I'm not sure how much excitement you can build around D.B.

"Twilight" overrated: I guess I do think the series is meh, but I'm a Harry Potter fan (does not mean I dressed up as a wizard or stood in line at midnight). Is this different than the Harry Potter fandom or am I just biased?

Liz Kelly: I think the "Twilight" audience is skewing a little older than Harry Potter's following. Perhaps "Twilight" is the next step for teens who were first indoctrinated into fantasy by the Potter oeuvre.

The "Twilight" themes are definitely a bit more grown up -- sensual where Harry Potter was plucky.

Worst Break Up: For the sheer longevity of the public acrimony and embarassment I have to go with the Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger break up. The leaked phone calls, the books - it goes on and on.

Liz Kelly: Yes -- good point. That's a glaring ommission, even from NY Mag's list.

"The heart wants what the heart wants": Ew - That was what Woody Allen said to justify his relationship with Mia Farrow's daughter. I think it was Julian Barnes who wrote a thing in the New Yorker a few years ago, taking that phrase and replacing the word "heart" with (insert the word that is a slang term for a man's thingee and was also the first name of a tricky president that resigned - four letters starts with d). It actually works with other phrases - the heart is a lonely hunter, etc.

Liz Kelly: Doesn't work so well with "I (heart) you," tho.

Washington, D.C.: Best Guy Ritchie quote about Madonna: That making love to her was like "cuddling with a piece of gristle." If his movies were only as sublime as his turn of phrase...

Liz Kelly: But some of them are. Check out "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels," f'rinstance.

Anonymous: You know, Liz, I think that you and I share the same taste in celebrity men: John Hamm, Gary Oldman, Paul Rudd, Billy Crudup, the list goes on. Who else is on your list?

Liz Kelly: How does the show always end up back to me talking about my celebrity crushes?

Los Angeles: Oh man, you guys keep talking about the shindig (anyone else flashing "Firefly"?) and some of us can't make it. Will you have a video of the event?

Liz Kelly: Well, we maybe could post a quick edited video of the event after. I'll talk to Kim about it.

Brooklyn NYC: So Madonna is willing to give up her children so that she won't have to give up her money? Nice one.

So who's going to get custody of her cheesy affected accent?

Liz Kelly: She gets to keep that, along with her invite to Gwyneth's Thanksgiving fete.

The day pop culture passed me by...: All this time, I've thought of myself as up-to-date with pop culture, and just discarded the Jonas Brothers, High School Musical and Miley Cyrus as silly things we all fell for as teens. Now that this "Twilight" thing is upon us -- I think I am now hopelessly out of it. What to do -- resign myslef to pasture and watch CBS crime procedurals for the rest of my days?

Liz Kelly: There there...

You're hardly ready for the scrap heap. There's plenty of time to acquaint yourself with the "Twilight" phenomenon in time to casually drop references in Internet chats and message boards.

And plenty of time leftover for "The Mentalist."

Baltimore: Okay I'm sure this will squeeb everybody out but I'm a 43 year old guy and I'm looking forward to "Twilight." (But only because my 'tweener is and it's the first time she's ever enjoyed reading, ever, so there)

Liz Kelly: If it weren't for the parenthetical, you would have totally set off some alarm bells here.

Vampires vs. zombies, etc.: I'm not a vampire groupie -- never watched "Buffy," never heard of "Twilight," never read Ann Rice -- I do watch "True Blood," but that's just because I like good TV, and I have a soft spot for "The Lost Boys" because, well, I was a 16-year-old girl when it came out (Jason Patric? Kiefer? I wasn't made of stone!). So I think I come to this with some objectivity.

Vampires seem always to have linked with sexuality (going back to various books and the earliest movies) in a way that other monsters haven't been -- maybe because vampires actually seduce their victims, in a way, rather than just tearing into them like zombies and werewolves.

There's probably some deeper level to that too, having to do with feeding on someone's blood, the essence of life, which might have some connection with sexuality. Maybe it's even the basic similarity between being bitten on the neck (vampire version) and, well, being bitten on the neck (the version where you had to wear a turtleneck to school even though it was 75 degrees out).

Of course, there are some counterexamples -- "30 Days of Night" was the least sexy vampire movie I've seen, and, though I never saw it, that Jack Nicholson-Michele Pfeiffer movie "Wolf" looked like it was supposed to be sexy.

Liz Kelly: Thanks for this well-put response. Very good point about vamps actually seducing their victims rather than just ripping them limb from limb, like many more boorish monsters.

Rockville, Md.: Where is our weekly picture of the real brains behind Celebritology, Andy?

Liz Kelly: This link should work. If not, let me know and I'll send another.

DC: Hot Vampires -- how about Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon in "The Hunger."

Hubba Hubba!

washingtonpost.com: Angie Everhart in "Bordello of Blood"? Anybody?

Liz Kelly: Eddie Murphy in "Vampire in Brooklyn?"

No?

Greenbelt, Md/: Is Jennifer Anniston simply a "celebrity" these days? Can you tell me why she is constantly on magazine covers? Is it just because she sleeps with famous men? I don't get it. I realize she acts occasionally but not well, and in nothing significant.

Liz Kelly: She's a working actress. Her work may not be to your taste, but she's a reasonably solid box office draw.

Twilight/Potter: I can't help thinking so much of the marketing of Twilight as "the next must-read series after Harry Potter" has to do with the Pattinson casting (for all of those just emerging from a cave, Pattinson was the ill-fated Cedric Diggory in Potter 4, Goblet). As far as I can tell, Twilight doesn't have a ginormous following of boys as well as girls, which certainly cannot be said of Potter.

Liz Kelly: True. Though "Titanic" did just fine without a big boy following.

Washington: "Ew - That was what Woody Allen said to justify his relationship with Mia Farrow's daughter"

Isn't Woody Allen still married to Soon Yee? They've been together for 10 years, which puts them in the top .0001% of Hollywood couples. I bet nobody thought it would last this long. Maybe they really connected. Maybe he wasn't a sicko?

Liz Kelly: Or maybe their unconventional attraction binds them to each other, like prisoners cast up on the shores of inappropriate island.

Washington, D.C.: Hi Liz,

Here's a fun link for a dull Thursday.

No offense to those of you from the Midwest.

washingtonpost.com: If Celebrities Were From The Midwest - Here Is What They Would Look Like

Liz Kelly: I've seen most of those pix before, but they just never get old. My favorite is, of course, Tom Cruise.

Ugly Hot Guys FTW: I see your Iggy Pop and raise you Klaus Kinski.

Who conveniently played the vamp in Werner Herzog's remake of "Nosferatu"!

Though personally I am waiting for this vampire infatuation to die down. It's been around for like 200 years, and is so played out. Liz, any guesses as to the next Sexy Monster to hit the scene?

Liz Kelly: Well, as we've already discovered, it's hard to form an attraction to a monster who doesn't bother to introduce himself before ripping one's head off.

We've already done the witch/warlock thing to death, too. Perhaps a particularly charming leprechaun?

Cincinnati: Did you see Ellen try to trick Jessica Simpson in revealing the sex of Ashley's baby? Hilarious! So how pregnant is she anyway? 44 wks?

Liz Kelly: Seriously... she has to be way past her due date.

methinks: I realize a lot of women wear them, but why would Eva Longoria be wearing Spanx? At her thickest part (her head?) she's the size of my thigh, for crying out loud.

That says an awful lot about her body image issues. Speaking of which, what's going on with Posh & Becks? I think he's on loan to a soccer/futbol team in Milan. Did Posh drag her scrawny frame over there with him?

Liz Kelly: I wondered the same thing. She's obviously not overweight (despite her recent pronouncements of being fat), so the only thing I could think is that she's worried about cellulite and figures the Spanx will smooth things out.

Andy!: Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating on my cat with Andy.

Liz Kelly: It's okay. Andy has that effect on everyone. I sometimes feel like I'm cheating on Mr. Liz with Andy. But then Mr. Liz says the same thing.

Any of Y'all: ...ever watch "Dark Shadows?" I know -- you're not old enough to remember.

washingtonpost.com: A This American Life segment about "Dark Shadows."

Liz Kelly: Totally remember "Dark Shadows." Creeped me out as a kid. Though it does make me wonder that no one has attempted to revive (haha) the concept of a vampire soap opera.

The Mall: Hi! I'd like to remind everyone of hot wolfmen in film history.

Let's start with Hugh Jackman as the Wolverine, head on the Michael J fox as the teen wolf and then on to Jack Nicholson. Three good examples.

washingtonpost.com: Wolverine is not a wolf man! Though he was originally intended to be an evolved wolverine.

Liz Kelly: Noted.

If anyone thinks vampires are gross...: ...did you catch Dana Milbank chatting online at 1 today about being a descendant of a survivor of the Donner Party? His cannibalism humor made Celebritology's Lindbergh Baby jokes seem tame by comparison.

Liz Kelly: Well, this is a perfect comment on which to end today's pre-Thanksgiving chat. I'll see you back here on Dec. 4th at 2 p.m. and will be blogging next week, too -- at least through Wednesday.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity