Monday, Nov. 24, 11 a.m. ET

Redskins Postgame: Washington vs. Seattle

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Cindy Boren
Washington Post NFL Editor
Monday, November 24, 2008; 11:00 AM

Post NFL Editor Cindy Boren was online Tuesday, Nov. 24 at 11 a.m. ET to take your questions to take your questions about Sunday's Redskins-Seahawks game.

A transcript follows.

Cindy Boren: There's a lot percolating today, starting with the firing of Eddie Jordan. Oh, wait, he doesn't have anything to do with the Redskins, does he? How's this? A source confirms that the Skins' Dec. 7 game against the Ravens in Baltimore has been moved to the Sunday night NBC game.

As for Ashburn, players have been given the day off, but some will no doubt wander through the facility. And Jim Zorn will talk to the media about stuff around 12:30.

Brunswick, Md.: Cindy,

It seemed like Lorenzo Alexander had a decent game in relief, getting into the backfield several times, although it also looked like he missed some tackles.

What is your assessment of Alexander's play?

Cindy Boren: I thought Lorenzo Alexander was one of the really overlooked heroes of the day. He had three tackles and may have missed some, but he brought it on the blitz.

Hilliard, Ohio: Hi Cindy...

What a courageous performance by Portis. That being said, he appears in so much pain that it may be difficult for him to keep going and lets face it, the Redskins win when he carries the ball more than 100 yards.

My questions: Are Kelly and Thomas progressing enough where the team can have more of a downfield passing threat to take some of the pressure off Portis? Also, should the Redskins move more to a two-back approach like most teams and use Betts more to spell Portis and prolong his career? With the beatings he takes, I just don't see him around more than a few more years.

Cindy Boren: Two of the most important offensive players are Portis and Moss and taking some attention away is a good idea. It would help them get healthy and give opponents a new look. Portis is getting hammered and a two-back approach would be terrific, but you saw what happened with Ladell Betts yesterday. That's pretty sobering, but I think you have to go that way or risk losing Portis altogether. I'm not sure Thomas and Kelly are ready yet to take some of the pressure off Moss, but at this point you have to develop that quickly, too.

Reston, Va.: So the Skins once again just eke out a victory against an inferior team (there's a reason Seattle was 2-8). If Jacobs and Plaxico are healthy and in the line-up, what chance do you think they'll have against the Giants? Especially if they let Eli sit in the pocket all day like they did Hasselbeck yesterday?

Cindy Boren: The problem the Skins face in the Giants is that this is a team that's getting better, rounding into shape. Sure, they could gack it at FedEx (it's a huge game -- duh -- for the Skins, who will be very emotional after the Sean Taylor ceremony), but they've been progressing every week. I had the same concerns as you yesterday as I watched the Skins on one TV and the Gints on another.

Arlington, Va.: If you had to pick one QB to build your new franchise around (which means age is a factor), who do you go with? I say Big Ben over Eli (barely).

Cindy Boren: What a nice problem to have. Neither one is exactly Todd Blackledge. I would take Eli (which is going to tick off a good friend who is a Stillers freak). I think he has more potential for growth (in terms of versatility) than Roethlisberger. Why can't I have Tom Brady, though? Or Peyton?

Arlington, Va.: T.O. had 200+ yards and a score yesterday. Oh, why do good things happen to annoying, egotistical people?

Cindy Boren: You left out "terrificially talented." He's annoying. He's egotistical. And he has the ability to make magic catching and running with the fubball. You can't take your eyes off him. He can change a game, darn near win you a Super Bowl. The blindingly talented can be so difficult.

Arlington, Va.: Cindy,

Why isn't Alexander seeing some carries? What did they get him for if he isn't going to get the ball? Portis reminds me a lot of Larry Brown of days past. Larry Brown was a great runner but the pounding he took shortened his career. I fear the same for CP.

Cindy Boren: He's still not in shape? He doesn't have that much left? It's impossible to know yet, isn't it? Right now, he oughta be holding a red umbrella 'cause he's like the Travelers -- insurance, baybee. He's there if the unthinkable happens. As for Portis, he invites and craves the pounding and I think it may well shorten his career. Right now, though, he's something.

New York football question: I know this is a Redskins chat, but this thought popped into my head after this weekend's games: What if the Giants and Jets both earn home field advantage for the conference championship games? What would they do?

Cindy Boren: I had that same thought yesterday and it nearly made my head explode! It would be a pretty amazing doubleheader in that dump in the Meadowlands on Jan. 18, that's for sure. You'd have to empty the, just wow. Don't hate me for saying this: It would be pretty cool.

Upper Marlboro, Md.: Cindy my question is about the status of our linebackers, particularly London Fletcher I was told left the Seattle-area airport in a walking boot?

Cindy Boren: No word yet on London Fletcher and the boot. That injury concerns me most; we'll see what Zorn says and keep an eye out for Fletcher. Most players will be off today; Mike Sellers briefly was at the park and said that he and Portis both had horrible turf burns (Steinberg examined Sellers's leg and verified that a big patch of skin was gone).

Outer Banks, N.C.: Cindy,

Thanks for making the change on text messages!!!! Now I just tap it and go straight to your page.

Cindy Boren: Happy to oblige, OBX. Don't hesitate to send feedback on the text alerts or the Twitter feed (JMascott has been invaluable) or the blog.

Washington, D.C.: What is wrong with Suisham? Coming up short on a 46 and 43 yarders - is he hurt?

Cindy Boren: At this point, you have to think it's a slump, hope for the best and send him out there. He needs to have a big game against the Gints on Sunday.

Burke, Va.: Okay Cindy, what, in your opinion, will the Redskins have to do to have any chance of beating the Giants next week? What's your game plan?

Cindy Boren: Stop the run, stop the run, stop the run. I do that with more three-linebacker sets; I stack the box. I try to frazzle Eli and make him overthink (always a tragicomedy) and revert to his scary days.

On offense, I hope and pray Portis is healthy. I run the plays that make Campbell comfortable and I sit with Joe Bugel and try to devise a way to hide an extra guy on the line. Maybe no one will notice.

Megskin: 15 Tackles, 1 sack and 1 totally absurd and random injury. -cough-bust-cough-

Cindy Boren: Like clockwork: at 11:46, Megskin checks in. Jason Taylor did a little better yesterday with Greg Blache using him more as a standup linebacker and dropping him back into coverage. If he doesn't come up huge against the Gints, I will call him a bust.

Renaissance Man : Jim Zorn must be a beat reporter's dream after the Gibbsian era. Accessible, frank, likable and eccentric enough to make good copy. Do you think the grind will knock those attributes out of him soon enough? He's still kind of in that honeymoon period, me thinks.

Cindy Boren: He's a Renaissance dude, that's for sure. As for how he deals with the media, we have a lot of respect for him. He's forthright, smart, funny and honest, even when he prefers not to share information. He's very fair. I think he would be the same win or lose. It's just that the latter would get him fired.

Hasselbeck: Leave it to Hasselbeck to throw an interception when the game is all but handed back to them. Do you remember his famous "we'll take the ball for the win" in that OT game a few years ago? And then he threw an interception and lost?

Cindy Boren: I do remember that! And I remember gasping and saying he'd made a huge mistake. How funny was that?

Boston: Cin, if Andre Carter is out for this weekend's game, will we see more Erasmus James and Rob Jackson?

Cindy Boren: I would think so. The worst of the injuries from yesterday seemed to be Golston, but we'll know more in half an hour or so. Check the blog and the Twitter feed for instant updates.

Cindy Boren: I must be moseying...Andy Reid just announced that McNabb will be the starter Thursday....interesting. Lots will be happening in SkinsWorld, so hop on over to the blog and the Twitter feed. As always, thanks for your smart questions!

Editor's Note: moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity