Monday, Dec. 8, 11 a.m. ET

Redskins Postgame: Washington vs. Baltimore

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Cindy Boren
Washington Post NFL Editor
Monday, December 8, 2008; 11:00 AM

Post NFL Editor Cindy Boren was online Monday, Dec. 8 at 11 a.m. ET to take your questions about Sunday's Redskins-Ravens game.

The transcript follows.

Cindy Boren: This is shaping up to be a busy day at Redskins Park so let's get chatting; I'll give you any updates from there as well as posting them to the blog and the RedskinsInsider twitter feed.

Terrell Suggs: "I actually pointed at Jim Zorn and said, 'You can't do this, you're going to get your quarterback hurt,' " said Suggs, who praised Geisinger's effort under such stark circumstances. "I was like, 'I don't think this guy is supposed to be here. You've got a mistake.' "

What is wrong with JZ? He's either stubborn or stoopid...

Cindy Boren: This was a pretty revealing nugget Jason La Canfora picked up in the postgame interviews last night. Can it be that Zorn was paying so much attention to the play-calling that he missed that personnel problem? I don't think he's either stubborn or "stoopid;" I think he's having his head-coach growing pains at the exact worst time of the year. Going 6-2 was the absolute worst thing that could have happened to him. He might not be 6-2 smart yet or that seasoned, but he might not be 1-4 "stoopid" or inexperienced, either.

Miami: What the hell was Zorn thinking last night? His playcalling was just plain weird. Having his struggling kicker attempt a near 50 yard field goal when he should have gone for it? Leaving Griesinger all alone to block Suggs? Pulling Portis?

Has anyone challenged him? It wasn't just execution last night. It was coaching, too.

Cindy Boren: I predict that very shortly Zorn will be asked about all of these things. The challenges...the timeouts...that punt near the end of the first half...what exactly was going on with Portis...his play-calling. Many, many questions after a game like that. So far, Zorn has been extremely accommodating and willing to answer questions. The heat is turned up another notch today; I think he won't be able to just lament the poor execution and walk away.

Gaithersburg, Md.: Good thing Vinny was not on radio this morning. He got it pretty good last week, and this a.m. would have been more of the same.

Cindy Boren: He does not do the radio show on the morning after night games and that philosophy would appear to
have been fraught with foresight.

Washington, D.C.: Cindy, in your opinion, was Clinton Portis down in the Ravens second touchdown? It seems to me like we are never on the winning end of replay reviews.

Cindy Boren: On the first rewind, I thought he might have been. Multiple viewings of the second and third angles led me to conclude that the zebras made the right call.

Putting a positive spin on a loss: Home team boosterism or journalism? A photo on the main page of the Post´s Web site was labeled "Redskins' Rally Falls Short Against Ravens." Falls short implies, at least to me, a close game. Perhaps a missed field goal or a fourth-down drive coming up short. But the Redskins lost by 14 points. Not a massacre, but not close, either. I guess the alternate headline could have been "Redskins Have Much Better Record than the Lions."

Cindy Boren: But the Redskins got within one touchdown of tying the score la; does that mean nothing to you? That said, the accuracy of your alternate headline cannot be disputed.

Burke, Va.: Cindy:

If Skinsfans Nation's collection discontent is now, say, around a 6.5 on a scale of 10, where does it go if they lose to the Bungles?

Cindy Boren: The Skins still could finish 10-6 (feel free to debate that likelihood on twitter and the blog). Okay, maybe that's a longshot. But the certainty at this moment is that they have not be eliminated from playoff contention. Why go borrowing trouble and thinking about a possible loss to the Bengals? Pretend you're the Scarlett O'Hara of fubball and think about that tomorrow...Sunday.

Washington, D.C.: Blame the media...again. I wonder how much responsibility the DC media should bear for at least continually inflating fan expectations when perhaps as informed professionals they should honestly communicate their objective views instead of their hopes. Years of the WaPo and other DC media outlets writing what they fervently wished was true instead of what has been demonstrably clear on the field conflicts with the reality that for a decade now the Redskins have not been a very good team. Yes, sportswriters ought to be homers but maybe some honest sports journalism would be refreshing and useful.

Cindy Boren: I really don't think we inflated expectations; just go to the blog and read how often Jason La Canfora has been torched for his analysis. The Redskins have gone to the playoffs twice in the last three years; there was a reasonable expectation that they'd be good again. This was a talented team that looked as if it could build on last year's run -- particularly when Zorn so quickly appeared to be in control -- and go a little farther. We questioned the depth and the age of the personnel as well as the draft decisions. We pointed out that injuries and suddenly aging players could be a catastrophic combo.

Columbus, Ohio: Hi Cindy... Well even if the Redskins win their next three and limp into the playoffs, I think its safe to ask about next year. Is the problem Campbell? Is it an aging offensive line....how many of them should return...maybe just Samuels and Rabach? Is it Zorn's play-calling? Or the lack of a deep threat after Moss? Seems its a combination of all the above, but what if anything stands out in your mind? And when will the Redskins start dominating teams? Thanks.

Cindy Boren: You have to stick with Campbell. Rebuild the offensive line through the draft and smart scouting. More WRs are needed -- either get these draft picks up to speed or move on. Rebuild the defensive line; they need depth. Then, if Campbell is the problem, deal with that. I don't know that these guys will ever be dominating opponents; it doesn't seem to be in their DNA and that is a problem. They've habitually played just well enough to win or to lose close games.

Major Changes Needed: Cindy, I'm no football genius-guy, but I'm pretty sure that Firing Jim Zorn and starting Colt Brennan will fix all of this teams problems. What say you?

Cindy Boren: Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. Sorry, hairball problem. I couldn't hear you over the coughing...I think you said that you hoped people would be patient with Jim Zorn and that Cult of Colt Brennan wasn't the answer. If you did, I agree with you.

KTD: Thought Madden's comment last night about the rookie production was spot on. He said basically that the repeated mantra of "looking for production" out of the Rookie Corps is inexecusable this late in the season.

Not a question; just a vent.

Cindy Boren: Then this won't be an answer. It is too late for that. The time for production from these guys was September.

MsTeenSouthCarolina: I personally believe that U.S. American Redskins are unable to do offense, uh, because some people out there in our Redskins nation don't have playbook maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education of the rookies, like such as, uh, Baltimore, uh, the Dallas, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our Front Office over here in the U.S. should help the Redskins, uh, or, uh, should help, uh, draft some Offensive and Defensive Lineman, and should help the protection of Jason Campbell, so we will be able to build up our future, uh,

Cindy Boren: The fact that you were not crowned Miss Teen Like Such As Maps America is one of the greatest injustices in the history of the modern beauty pageant.

New York, N.Y.: Considering everyone's problem with Gibbs's offense was that due to his age "the modern game had passed him by", what's the excuse for Zorn? I like him and expect he will be a good head coach, but this is definitely a rough patch.

Cindy Boren: I think he had a bunch of guys who looked primed for one more good run and suddenly got old. I think the lack of depth subsequently exacerbated that problem. I think he made the mistake of running Clinton Portis' legs off early in the season, reveling in the joy of 6-2. He's a rookie coach in the NFL; he's a smart guy. I, too, expect him to be good. Let's see what he does with 7-6 before we make any further pronouncements. There's still a lot on the table for 2008.

Fairfax, Va.: You think Mr. Snyder still has Charlie Casserly's number? I'd dial him up pretty quick.

Cindy Boren: How hard can it be to find him? Hope he as a cell plan with plenty of minutes....

Ellicott City, Md.: As a Ravens fan who works in Columbia with many Redskins fans, I would like to gloat: Four more years of bragging rights. The beat goes on.

Cindy Boren: Can't we all just get along, you in the AFC, the Skins in the NFC? I'm guessing about half the people in your office are sick today.

Clinton Portis: Why wasn't I in the game in the second half?

Cindy Boren: We're going to be asking Jim Zorn and you that very question, Clinton. Heaven knows you should be worn down; you've carried the offense. Was it just that Zorn said he wouldn't put you in in certain situations? Were you resting so that you can tear up the next three opponents? We need answers.

McLean, Va.: Have you seen Samuels this morning? What's the status on him? How long could he be out?

Cindy Boren: Not yet. Obviously we'll pass along that update on the blog and twitter as soon as we have it. Given that there are only three games left, he may well not play again this year. That was Jason La Canfora's feeling in the locker room after the game.

Delray Beach, Fla.: What do you think is wrong with the Redskins? Ever since Jack Kent Cooke died, come what may, a parade of coaches, quarterbacks, thin and thick playbooks, whatever, they don't seem to have any heart, drive or enthusiasm.

Cindy Boren: Is it the money? Do people come here, get comfy because the owner takes care of them and never want to leave? The swagger and identity I think you're speaking of is only visible for four- and five-game stretches. Changing that should be one of the top items on Jim Zorn's agenda.

Falls Church, Va.: How hard can it be to draft quality linemen? Do you think the Redskins front office recognizes line play as a critical problem area?

Cindy Boren: I would think that they recognize it now....They drafted Chad Rineart last April. Can he not play? Other teams draft quality linemen and the Redskins, ahem, did so, too, with draft picks back at the turn of this century.

Cindy Boren: I'm going to have to end this a little early today. The guys are texting me from the locker room and I want to blog and twitter those posts. Thanks, as always, for joining me. See you next Monday.

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

© 2008 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity