Monday, Dec. 29, 11 a.m. ET

Redskins Postgame: Washington vs. San Francisco

Network News

X Profile
View More Activity
Cindy Boren
Washington Post NFL Editor
Monday, December 29, 2008; 11:00 AM

Post NFL Editor Cindy Boren was online Monday, Dec. 29 at 11 a.m. ET to take your questions about Sunday's Redskins-49ers game and the team's offseason plans.

This Story
View All Items in This Story
View Only Top Items in This Story

A transcript follows.

Cindy Boren: Good morning! It's a busy day ... the Redskins' season is over -- which is of paramount importance up here -- and the playoff teams are set and coaches are being fired right and left (Marinelli, Mangini, Crennel and it's still early).

Rockville, Md.: Cindy - Who do you think is gone from this team starting next season? Watching Thrash and Randle El play yesterday in a meaningless game when you have three receivers who haven't really been given an opportunity to play is quite silly. For the last few years this has been a team built to win now (which it hasn't) and on the last day you play a game without letting the young guys on the line or the receivers play doesn't make sense to me.

washingtonpost.com: Youth Was Not Served on This Day (Post, Dec. 29)

Cindy Boren: Good question.

Cindy Boren: (Just a little Monday morning joke there...)

First, there are guys the team has gotten all it can from. I'd put Thrash and Randle El in that category (although Thrash more so). I'd add Smoot. And perhaps it is time to bid Springs farewell, unless he redoes his deal. I'd bring back Jason Taylor only at somewhere way way south of $8m. Washington may be done. McIntosh? All of these guys must be evaluated and decisions must be made. Those are just for starters -- and I haven't even addressed the O line.

Second, who do they have that they can trade for personnel or the all-important draft picks? That's pretty limited and, as La Canfora has reported, it's looking like Carlos Rogers might be the prime candidate here (re-sign Hall). Betts' name has been mentioned, but I'd think twice about that, given Portis' injuries this fall.

Washington, D.C.: Do we need to worry about Greg Blache being offered a job somewhere else?

washingtonpost.com: After Nearly Exiting, Blache Wants More: Defensive Success Has Recharged Him (Post, Dec. 25)

Cindy Boren: Blache will be 60 in May and was coaxed out of retiring by Daniel Snyder. I don't think he has the burning desire to be a head coach. He strikes me as someone who's satisfied to do his defensive thing. He seems like a guy who is pretty contented with designing defensive schemes. Maybe someone throws an obscene amount of money at him; maybe he has the itch to be the top guy and he's just kept it under wraps...but I don't think so.

Grove City, Ohio: Cindy... How many picks do the Redskins have in '09? And what do you think...ALL linemen, maybe a WR in the later rounds? Also should Snyder finally hire a GM?

Cindy Boren: Four at the moment. How about three linemen and a linebacker (basing this strictly on need and not talent available)? I think Daniel Snyder has a GM.

Washington, D.C.: Does anyone else feel bad for Papa Johns? I assume they are paying good bucks for the "privilege" of being the pizza sponsor, but I can't see that many people ordering the "special" on Mondays--it's only good if the 'Skins win and/or score. Maybe they are making it up in the stadium.

Cindy Boren: My heart bleeds for Papa John and his valiant pizzamakers. I know I don't feel like ordering the special on Mondays.

Jason La Confora: Cindy... I have a man-crush on Leigh Torrence and was devastated when they cut him. I haven't hesitate to beat that dead horse every chance I get. Don't you agree that the cutting of Leigh Torrence was the downfall of the season?

Cindy Boren: Kudos for spelling Leigh Torrence's name correctly, demerits for misspelling your own, Jason. The cutting of Leigh Torrence was the downfall of the season as well as the catalyst for the subprime mortgage crisis.

Germantown, Md.: Is it possible that Zorn truly believes that the rookies and second-year players on the roster are not NFL-calibur players? If that's the case, fans should be calling into Vinny's weekly radio show to find out why he's not drafting better players.

Cindy Boren: I'm not sure how far it goes, but the youngsters haven't caught on to Zorn's satisfaction sufficiently to gain his complete confidence. Typically, coaches demand that their routes be run perfectly. Coaches HATE freelancers; they demand precision. Is that Zorn's fault or Cerrato's? I don't think we know yet whether the issue is coaching or drafting. I think that's a big question for training camp and Zorn's Year 2.

Hamlet, N.C.: Will the Redskins go out and acquire a high-profile receiver such as Chad Johnson?

Cindy Boren: Hamlet, dude, you should have phrased that "to go out and acquire or not to go out and acquire..." Please, not a Chad Johnson. If they go out and get any high-profile guy -- and I hope they don't -- perhaps it should a defensive player.

Washington, D.C.: Hall, Rogers, Springs, Smoot...Who stays? Who goes?

Cindy Boren: I see ... Hall and Springs (at less money) staying; Smoot goes (a sad day for SportsBog); Rogers gets traded.

Alexandria, Va.: Is it time to start realizing 2009 may be worse than 2008? With a lot of positions (QB? and RB?) which need help and not many draft picks, 2009 looks a rebuilding year.

Cindy Boren: Finishing 8-8 helps a bit with an easier schedule, so you can take comfort in that. I'm not sure 2009 will be worse, but I think that 1) fixing this team and 2) continuing to adapt to Zorn's West Coast offense will take more than one year.

Anonymous: Snyder's GM: Chevy or Cadillac?

Cindy Boren: Chevy Chase or Cadillac Williams?

Aspen Hill, Md.: Hi, Cindy will the 'Skins even try and talk to Bill Cowher even though they say Jim Zorn is coming back next year.

Cindy Boren: You have to take them at their word. Vinny Cerrato said Zorn is returning, so they'd be wasting their time and Cowher's, no? If you're Bill Cowher, don't you wait to see how many more coaching jobs open up? Wouldn't you want a young team that is only a couple of players away?

washingtonpost.com: Speaking of people being fired: Marinelli, Mangini, Crennel Fired (NFL News Feed, washingtonpost.com)

Cindy Boren: And that was before 10 a.m. There figures to be more, so hang with us today. What else do you have to do?

Washington, D.C.: Comment: If Mr. Snyder wants to know how to build a winning football team, all he needs to do is look at the teams makeup during the first Gibbs tenure. The team had one of the best offensive and defensive lines in the league.

The current Redskins can't protect their quarterback and can't sack a quarterback, let alone apply pressure. They also need to stop giving away draft choices for over-the-hill players. I think they need to bring back Charlie Casserly or another GM who knows talent and how to build a team. Wow, I'm must be upset and tired of last place!

Cindy Boren: Someone has a case of 8-8itis. If I were the owner, the lines would be my priority. And I would embrace the draft.

Duncan, S.C.: What about Cerrato? He seems free of blame in all this. Any chance of the Redskins getting Scott Pioli from New England?

Cindy Boren: Free of blame? I think it all falls squarely on him, since he took over last January. I think you should give up your thoughts of Scott Pioli coming here.

washingtonpost.com: Rogers, Possibly on the Way Out (Redskins Insider, washingtonpost.com)

Cindy Boren: Jason La Canfora just spoke with Carlos Rogers about whether he has played his last game with the Redskins.

Raleigh, N.C.: You and Jasno both keep bringing up the possibility of trading Rogers. What do you think we could get for him in a trade?

Also, do you think the team would consider trading Horton? He's a 1st-2nd round value we found in the 7th round and he's playing a position where I would rather see Landry. What do you think of trading Horton for a 2nd and starting Landry at SS and Springs at FS?

Cindy Boren: See the fresh Rogers post on Redskins Insider....

Hedgesville, W.V.: Is Jason Campbell the quarterback you build your team around?

Cindy Boren: I think you have to go in that direction. Beef up the line. Get some wide receivers. Then if the kid can't play QB, so be it. With that line and those receivers, it would be a tough job for anyone.

Arlington, Va.: Any chance you would write a columns for the print edition? Your witty, amusing and make a lot of sense to me. Also are you married?

Cindy Boren: You appear to be one of the brightest, most insightful readers that The Post is fortunate to have.

Fairfax, Va.: How come all the analysis is focused on Jim Zorn for the reaction of the players? Doesn't Vinnie Cerrato bear the responsibility also?

Cindy Boren: I see a theme here today. You bet he does.

Raleigh, N.C.: Cindy, thanks for replying to my question about Horton and Rogers, but you really didn't answer it. The latest blog post doesn't speculate on what we could get for Rogers. He was a 1st round pick. Do you think we could get a first rounder for him?

Cindy Boren: That's why it's called "shopping." You see what you can get, which is partially determined by other teams' needs and degree of desperation. I'd be surprised if they got a first-rounder for him.

Washington, D.C.: Now what? Who do we keep? Who do we let go? Who do we sign in free agency? Who do we draft? Tell me everything I need to know!

Cindy Boren: All you need to know is that the season really begins today. Keep up with it on the blog and Twitter.

Washington, D.C.: Is there any chance -- any chance at all -- that the Skins would ever part ways with Portis and make do with younger, cheaper talent?

Cindy Boren: Not after giving him a kabillion dollars.

washingtonpost.com: Washington, Perhaps Moving On (Redskins Insider, washingtonpost.com)

Cindy Boren: La Canfora talked to Marcus Washington, who also speaks of an uncertain future in Washington.

Alexandria, Va.: It seems like Jason Campbell hardly ever throws for more than 200 yards. Is it him or the scheme? (Noticed that Joe Flacco, the Ravens rookie QB threw for almost 300 yards yesterday.)

Cindy Boren: It's the wide receivers and offensive line, too.

Rockville, Md.: Cindy -- Thanks for your chats this season. They have been fun reading while I sit at my boring job.

My question: Do you think we will ever see this team soar from mediocrity like the Falcons or the Dolphins? I think they won a combined 4 games last season and yet look at where they are now! Our team seems built to play .500 ball with nothing to look forward to from year to year.

Cindy Boren: Thanks. I've enjoyed doing this on Mondays. I have to say I don't see that happening with the Redskins, as presently constituted, but the beauty of this job and covering sports is that you just never know. So cling to that!

Cindy Boren: It's time to mosey along and prepare for the playoffs. Thanks again for joining me here Mondays and being so smart and entertaining and funny. I'll be on the blog and on twitter (RedskinsInsider). See you there!

Editor's Note: washingtonpost.com moderators retain editorial control over Discussions and choose the most relevant questions for guests and hosts; guests and hosts can decline to answer questions. washingtonpost.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties.

» This Story:Read +|Watch +|Talk +| Comments
© 2008 The Washington Post Company

Discussion Archive

Viewpoint is a paid discussion. The Washington Post editorial staff was not involved in the moderation.

Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity